D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

A couple from our weekend at Coningsby

BBMF Dakota Kwitcherbichen
_MGG6825_zpsqirpxvvj.jpg

And an angry Canadian goose
_MGG6792_zpslyqmssmv.jpg

I am loving this camera more every time I use it, the Sigma 150-500 seems well suited to it

More from our weekend later today as the RAF Chinook was doing a practice display today.

A guy was flying this at the campsite, getting some aerial shots for the owner, it was fantastic and the videos were awesome from it.

_MGG6651_zps6qoxb1dh.jpg

Just testing out my new (to me) D810, bought recently off a fellow TP member. Borrowed a Nikon 24-70 as well. Really pleased with the results so far - a big step up from my D7100....there is just something about full frame !! All comments gratefully received - was hoping for a 'glorious sunset' but this was the best I got.......

Abandoned Boat by Richard Breland, on Flickr

Bet you had a bit of a shock upgrading to the D810, I did even from the D800. That 24-70mm lens suits the camera well, it is also worth fine tuning it to the camera.Menu-setup- fine tune (on) saved value is where to find it. I used a spyderlenscal on mine as the target to tune it with. On mine it came out at +8 on the scale for that lens.

best to check as previous owner may have it set to suit their lenses

I have mine set up so the first memory slot is the CF card and the secondary is the SD card. first for RAW and second for Jpeg. i have also had a fiddle and now the main on/off button is for stills and video. That silly red button is awkward to get at. Also the front dial move the shot on the rear screen 10 photos and the back dial does the next photo taken. This is a lot quicker than using the rocker switch.
Other settings are my own personal choice but can be seen in the video link in a previous post

Last edited:
Just testing out my new (to me) D810, bought recently off a fellow TP member. Borrowed a Nikon 24-70 as well. Really pleased with the results so far - a big step up from my D7100....there is just something about full frame !! All comments gratefully received - was hoping for a 'glorious sunset' but this was the best I got.......

Abandoned Boat by Richard Breland, on Flickr

Hi Richard
Likewise just got myself a D810 new to me[emoji23] off to Hartland for the weekend to give it try. Excited[emoji122]. Upgraded from D90. Will I notice a difference? Hope so!

Some cracking shots coming on now, the BMX are stunning as are the landscapes, which reminds me, I will have to try mine out on landscapes sometime

My wife and I were out for a walk around Scotney castle in kent when I heard a strange aircraft noise. i only had the d810 and 24-70mm lens so swung it to the sky and saw this

heeeGcl.jpg

got home and did a bit of editing and came up with this. No idea what it is but suspect it may be a hurricane????

X5hPLPk.jpg

Have to say i am amazed the camera and lens got it as good as this seeing the plane was moving and it also was a snap shot

Last edited:
Almost certain that is a spitfire not a hurricane.

ETA: Looks to BBMF Spitfire QJG ...

Last edited:
Oh god...……….now I have a dilemma, just spoke to a guy at Sandtoft, he had a D4s coupled to a Sigma 150-500 same as the lens I use, his D4s really was at home shooting aircraft yet my D810 struggled a little to keep focus or rattle off 4fps, I know his is a sport and fast action body but it just did exactly what I want my D810 to do...……….. do I sell my 810 in favour of the D4 or keep it for the higher resolution knowing I will never use it for any weddings or studio work......speed envy I guess, HAHA

Last edited:
Those pro level bodies really are for a specific job it seems. The mid level cameras like the D810 and so do everything well but do not excel in one particular area like the pro bodies do I find. If you mainly shoot fast moving aircraft then the pro body is always going to be better. This is what I'm finding when I shoot wildlife. I am thinking about a D4s too mate.

Buy a grip for it and you'll get a couple of extra fps

I have one Dave, still doesn't speed it up a great deal like the D700 with a grip.

Those pro level bodies really are for a specific job it seems. The mid level cameras like the D810 and so do everything well but do not excel in one particular area like the pro bodies do I find. If you mainly shoot fast moving aircraft then the pro body is always going to be better. This is what I'm finding when I shoot wildlife. I am thinking about a D4s too mate.

Yes its looking like that's what I should have gone for in the first place, the 810 really is a fantastic bit of kit but lacks speed too much for my aircraft hunting.

Its not slow as in really slow, it just seems to lose focus when tracking anything really quick, the IQ is absolutely out of this world so I reckon I am just going to have to up my game a bit if I keep it, which I will as I really do love the camera and it isn't just for aircraft, I do shoot other subjects every now and again.

Bit of an agricultural test just done using Time.is and with the battery grip its shooting at roughly 7fps so its not slow, not fast either but good enough for aircraft shots, so will just stick with it as the D850 is out of my budget...……..well the missus would kill me to be honest HAHA

Pete
do you have the battery pack for your D810, the MB-D12? that might help, I keep that pack on mine most of the time. Menu I have a1 and a2 set to focus, and check a4, I left mine on 3

Yes Bazza and that gives me around 1.5 -2 extra fps and to be honest I am over the moon with the D810 as it doesn't lose focus often, I think it was just speed envy this morning, I don't think I will be moving this on for a while yet. :snaphappy:

First time i`ve picked up the camera for over a week. Just not feeling inspired at all. But managed to get this in the garden at least.

wooden crate by Paulie-W, on Flickr

pete
i was thinking, yes it does hurt, have you considered the lens you are using for photographing aircraft.The further away you can still get a plane in shot the easier it is to get it in frame. Trying to get a close up using a long telephoto lens is going to be trickier.
You have 36mp to play with so use them with cropping???that aircraft I photoed gives some example although far from perfect, but give some idea
At the moment I am trying out high speed flash with my Nikon SB900 flash gun. A new experience doing it high speed

Last edited:
Back