D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Interesting photo full of detail.. Yes I like it as well. Looks as if the focus was on the second tree in as that looks to be the sharpest.

Check your profiles everyone as some at not showing the D810 as your main camera

Last edited:
Interesting photo full of detail.. Yes I like it as well. Looks as if the focus was on the second tree in as that looks to be the sharpest.

Thanks.....focus is actually just beyond the first tree.....I've intentionally added a gaussion blur for a soft glow as I quite like the effect especially for this type of genre.

cleaned up image using Adobe Elements, all telegraph poles removed

NLnONwG.jpg

Nice job mate :)

I still can't get over how good the D810 camera is . Just look at the photos above of Craigs I don't think you could do much better with any other camera

Late evening sun at the Blicking Estate, Norfolk.

Blickling by Neil Almond, on Flickr
Excellent Neil. Great light but well captured and composed. I’ve been out for the bluebells this year but I struggled with the light. It was quite a lot of contrasting either too dark or too bright. I would love to capture something like this with the natural tones showing well.

I still can't get over how good the D810 camera is . Just look at the photos above of Craigs I don't think you could do much better with any other camera

Bazza I think you are right about the camera. I so desperately wanted the D850 but with the D810 being near enough half the price you just can't beat it. Stick on some good glass and the detail you see is just incredible! I love shooting so much now.

Bazza I think you are right about the camera. I so desperately wanted the D850 but with the D810 being near enough half the price you just can't beat it. Stick on some good glass and the detail you see is just incredible! I love shooting so much now.

this is with that camera and the nikon24-70mm lens

normal distance@70mm
j3D5nEU.jpg

if enlarged the name of the train can be read just about (Samson) amazing even if I say it myself. Pays to fine tune the lens to the camera.
Next time I will try it with the Nikon70-200mm lens or even the 80-400 mm one

Last edited:
this is with that camera and the nikon24-70mm lens

normal distance@70mm
j3D5nEU.jpg

if enlarged the name of the train can be read just about (Samson) amazing even if I say it myself. Pays to fine tune the lens to the camera.
Next time I will try it with the Nikon70-200mm lens or even the 80-400 mm one

Yes I agree with you! When fine tuned to the camera it makes such a difference, especially at longer focal lengths I find. I believe you about reading the name zoomed in. This cameras detail is honestly stunning! Lovely shot btw!

Just got myself a D810 from Grays of Westminster, albeit second hand. Had to sell a couple of lenses to fund the purchase. So I am left with just a 50mm 1.4 . Going away bank hol weekend to Hartland for some sea scapes. Not got long to familiarise myself with the camera. What sort of results can I expect?

Just got myself a D810 from Grays of Westminster, albeit second hand. Had to sell a couple of lenses to fund the purchase. So I am left with just a 50mm 1.4 . Going away bank hol weekend to Hartland. Not got long to familiarise myself with the camera. What can I expect?

Hi Chris
you ask what you can expect. Well first of all how much more concentration is needed without the AA filter, the camera is less forgiving. Don't panic your photographic skills will get better, I know mine did irrespective of what you had before you will certainly notice a difference ,even from the D800.
You may have already read about fine tuning and well worth doing . There is a great book on the camera as well by David D Busch for around £21.I have it and it is a tomb of nearly 600 pages but everything explained in easy terms, more like a tutorial than anything else

oU0hQaY.jpg

There are also short cuts to make things easier

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUH5dCaLMU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwIWhDcTEY&t=22s

Last edited:
Does anyone use an Arca Swiss type L bracket with their D810? If so, any recommendations?

Can't see the point of them, a Nikon grip allows the camera to be used in vertical mode anyway let alone having the extra battery

Last edited:
Can't see the point of them, a Nikon grip allows the camera to be used in vertical mode anyway let alone having the extra battery
Totally different thing! A L bracket allows connection to a tripod ball head (or other type of head) in both portrait or landscape mode. A grip on its own doesn't connect to anything.

Last edited:
Hi Chris
you ask what you can expect. Well first of all how much more concentration is needed without the AA filter, the camera is less forgiving. Don't panic your photographic skills will get better, I know mine did irrespective of what you had before you will certainly notice a difference ,even from the D800.
You may have already read about fine tuning and well worth doing . There is a great book on the camera as well by David D Busch for around £21.I have it and it is a tomb of nearly 600 pages but everything explained in easy terms, more like a tutorial than anything else

oU0hQaY.jpg

There are also short cuts to make things easier

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNUH5dCaLMU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwIWhDcTEY&t=22s

Many thanks for this info. Yes that book looks like a good idea might just get that one. Looking forward to playing with this body, sure I will notice a big difference from my d90[emoji23]

Just got myself a D810 from Grays of Westminster, albeit second hand. Had to sell a couple of lenses to fund the purchase. So I am left with just a 50mm 1.4 . Going away bank hol weekend to Hartland for some sea scapes. Not got long to familiarise myself with the camera. What sort of results can I expect?
From Hartland or the camera? ;) ...
Hartland_Quay_D810-0543 by Paul, on Flickr
On the above image there are sheep on the ridge ... this is a crop from the above ...
Hartland-0543.jpg

Some fab seascapes in and around Hartland.

talking about batteries for d810, watch out for the difference on the EN-el15. I didn't know apart from the en-el15a version there is something else to be aware of. where it say LI-ion there is an upgrade for newer cameras and that is the LI-ION20 . the earlier version was the LI-ion01

Dave.
A Nikon grip still has the same screw thread as the camera so I don't really understand when you say quote " A grip on its own doesn't connect to anything." unquote I can still attach a tripod plate to it. Also with longer lenses the camera can be turned vertical by loosening off the collar. Oh and the collar tripod thread should be used anyway for the support not the camera due to lens weight

Last edited:
Chris
See you next year then when you get that book, it will take you that long to get through reading it.(y):banghead::LOL:

Hi Paul yeah a great area, just hoping I have got my head around the new body in time for my trip.
I'm not too far away from Hartland so we may bump into each other as I need to get out soon with the camera or I'll be going stir crazy!!

ETA: There is also a very good pub there ;)

Dave.
A Nikon grip still has the same screw thread as the camera so I don't really understand when you say quote " A grip on its own doesn't connect to anything." unquote I can still attach a tripod plate to it. Also with longer lenses the camera can be turned vertical by loosening off the collar. Oh and the collar tripod thread should be used anyway for the support not the camera due to lens weight

Barry, I realise what a grip is and does. What I'm talking about is a L bracket that fits on the camera and allows the camera to be fitting to a tripod head in either landscape or portrait mode. Useful when shooting from a tripod with lenses without collers, for example wide angle for landscape and long exposure. This proves particularly useful on ball heads.

Here's a video to demonstrate:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjDO0iNGL0

Last edited:
I'm not too far away from Hartland so we may bump into each other as I need to get out soon with the camera or I'll be going stir crazy!!

ETA: There is also a very good pub there ;)

If you see a guy on the beach looking at his camera and scratching his head come and say hello[emoji23]

Dave

i have a different approach to get a camera vertical on a tripod. What I use is a manfrotto 322RC2 pistol head..This is why I never bothered about L brackets. Have to own up here i had forgotten I had this pistol grip in my photographic arsonal. Lot quicker than using an L bracket

RUIr5Sw.jpg

The tripod is on a manfrotto 055XPROB heavy yes but it would take a hurricane to shift it. Also the centre column swings sideways so i can even do overhead shots without the tripod legs getting in the way . Very handy if one wants to take a photo of something on a desk or table

Last edited:
Thanks Barry, but I want the L bracket so I can get away from having the camera off centre on the tripod, which is not ideal for some of the landscape and long exposure shots I do. I used to use a Manfrotto geared head which would achieve what the pistol grip does but it's far too heavy and still leaves the camera off centre when in Portrait mode, so I've now gone to a decent lightweight ball head and a L bracket. (Just ordered a cheapy off Amazon) :)

So here I am sitting at my computer in the dining room I now use as an office. Looked out the window and saw this. So as my D810 and 24-70mm Nikon were to hand I grabbed them and manage to get this without scaring him/her off.

ZMPP4NX.jpg

Just shows how good this combo is at a moments notice. not bad from a semi dark room to bright outside light

Last edited:
Hmmmm not sure I can stretch to a Kirk! Anyone using a cheapo version that they can recommend?
I’ve used Sunwayfoto L brackets on a few cameras. Currently have one on the D810. It’s actually meant for the D800 but the form is roughly the same, it just says D800 rather than D810. The only downsides de is the HDMI and mic port doors don’t open very well but I don’t ever use them so it’s not a problem for me (it might be for others).

So here I am sitting at my computer in the dining room I now use as an office. Looked out the window and saw this. So as my D810 and 24-70mm Nikon were to hand I grabbed them and manage to get this without scaring him/her off.

ZMPP4NX.jpg

Just shows how good this combo is at a moments notice. not bad from a semi dark room to bright outside light

Love the candid nature of this shot!

Back