D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Hi all welcome on board to this thread

my background was from my first digital camera a Kodak 2mp one, yes don't laugh, to the Nikon D70s - D200-D300-D800 to now the D810. with each camera change the difference was certainly noticeable. This goes too from the D800 to the D810. As I mentioned to get the best from camera and lens is calibration. I have already put up a photo of the Lenscal and it certainly is well worth the money ,well I think so. The next trip I shall try out the Nikon70- 200 mm f2..4 lens with VR maybe at sovereign harbour near me.
Even later on I will have a go with the latest 80-400mm lens also in my armoury, might as well test them all

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have had my ipad crash several times trying to view this thread. Changed over to Chrome and it is working now.

I think it is the image posted by Realspeed above and a couple on the first page. They look like full size images.

So how do you calibrate a lens to the D810 is it the part in the menu that you add a lens or is it a bit more technical

Just got a calibration sheet as I went out today and although I like us all know camera settings, I, was well out of my comfort zone with the D810 it really is a different beast compared to the D700, so will spend tomorrow calibrating my lenses and try again, think I managed one shot that was passable out of 20 but that really was down to me thinking I could shoot with this beast without setting it up properly and relying on what I was used to with my old camera.

yuqTvbi.jpg

For all historical building experts , What is that jagged vertical slot for just above water line for?.

Strange to be there, I wouldn't mind knowing too, great shot too

OMG Steve, they are dreams as images, I cant wait till I am using my D810 in anger and getting this quality from it, superb shots.

Just got a calibration sheet as I went out today and although I like us all know camera settings, I, was well out of my comfort zone with the D810 it really is a different beast compared to the D700, so will spend tomorrow calibrating my lenses and try again, think I managed one shot that was passable out of 20 but that really was down to me thinking I could shoot with this beast without setting it up properly and relying on what I was used to with my old camera.
Pete ,in what way was it easier with your D700,i have just bought one so any advice would be appreciated,its still relevant on topic to the 810 as per differece as dont want to butt in,so to speak

The D700 is far more forgiving if you get it wrong, it seems to just take stunning shots even if you don't want it to Sssssssnake, I really do love the D700 and make no mistake, its getting on a bit but it can put most modern cameras to shame, I only use cameras in M and choose my own settings, the D700 cant take a bad pic if you tried, the D810 on the other hand has gone a bit over my head and is taking a bit of fathoming out, I went out today and used it as a D700 and came back with no useable images, a couple passable but that is down to me learning the new camera and finding mine and its sweet spot, your D700 will give some very good shots with little effort, and did I mention low light.............the D700 loves low light

Pete

The D810 you will find without the anti alias filter is a lit more exacting than the D700 which allowed a bit of "give" in the photo. The D810 doesn't which you will find out. The D300 was the same. when I first got my D810 I thought I could get away with using it the same as the D300 and the D800 but you can't..
Correct callibration plays a big part in getting great photos against just good photos.Having a correct calibration bit of kit is worth the same as getting a new lens, in my opinion.
some do it by using a ruler on a table with the camera aimed at it at the right angle from a tripod, rough and ready method and not having tried it can't comment..

Don't forget what was said in the videos about how still the camera should be and the settings.

Pete

The D810 you will find without the anti alias filter is a lit more exacting than the D700 which allowed a bit of "give" in the photo. The D810 doesn't which you will find out. The D300 was the same. when I first got my D810 I thought I could get away with using it the same as the D300 and the D800 but you can't..
Correct callibration plays a big part in getting great photos against just good photos.Having a correct calibration bit of kit is worth the same as getting a new lens, in my opinion.
some do it by using a ruler on a table with the camera aimed at it at the right angle from a tripod, rough and ready method and not having tried it can't comment..

Don't forget what was said in the videos about how still the camera should be and the settings.

I have the calibration sheet, tripod and remote release ready for tomorrow in ambient light, so hopefully should have the whole system set up for our holiday in 2 weeks to RAF Mildenhall...............watch this space Baz ;)

OMG Steve, they are dreams as images, I cant wait till I am using my D810 in anger and getting this quality from it, superb shots.

Thanks -
The D700 is far more forgiving if you get it wrong, it seems to just take stunning shots even if you don't want it to Sssssssnake, I really do love the D700 and make no mistake, its getting on a bit but it can put most modern cameras to shame, I only use cameras in M and choose my own settings, the D700 cant take a bad pic if you tried, the D810 on the other hand has gone a bit over my head and is taking a bit of fathoming out, I went out today and used it as a D700 and came back with no useable images, a couple passable but that is down to me learning the new camera and finding mine and its sweet spot, your D700 will give some very good shots with little effort, and did I mention low light.............the D700 loves low light

The D810 will out perform the D700 in every single way. The low light abilities of the camera are really quite incredible. What I do notice with it is it doesn't like to wonder too far from base ISO and it's really optimized for shooting at ISO 64 - even if that means shooting longer it is worth it as you don't get any hot pixels (unlike the D800) from long exposure.

You shouldn't miss focus with it - the AF system really is good, even in low light (so long as there is enough contrast it will lock on) and in live view the screen will flicker/be less noisy than the D800 and D700 so it should be easy to focus manually if you cannot use the AF.

One thing, it doesn't have an AA filter. The images are a surprisingly degree cleaner than the D800 ones and sharpen really really well. Lens wise it deserves the best. I use the Nikkor 20mm F1.8, Sigma ART primes now (and not the 16-35 F4) and the 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8 zooms. The F4 versions aren't up to the job and show too much corner softness. The camera requires only the very best zooms and primes available.

Hand holding isn't a problem, if you use the 1/focal length as guide for the slowest you can go.

Last edited:
Hopefully I should have the lens issue sorted tomorrow once calibrated Steve, and then sort some images to post when we get back from our holiday, hopefully some exotic aircraft will pay us a visit.

The difference is like women, you can go for the "slack alice" type who are ok to take out for an evening etc. Or a high class sophisticated well educated beautiful lady, when handled properly you can get the best out of her. To do that needs care and attention just like the nikon D810

Last edited:
Tip

if you press live view when taking stills, on my camera at least, a red or green square shows up with view in the back screen to show if there is enough light or not, according to camera settings

Hi all, does anyone have a copy of the download for firmware version 1.12 (i.e. the old one) that they could send me please?

Since updating to 1.13 I have had an issue with a non-Nikon lens (which Nikon unsurprisingly are not interested in hearing about).

Thanks in advance.

Dave,

Hi all, does anyone have a copy of the download for firmware version 1.12 (i.e. the old one) that they could send me please?

Since updating to 1.13 I have had an issue with a non-Nikon lens (which Nikon unsurprisingly are not interested in hearing about).

Thanks in advance.

Dave,

V1.12 allows lenses to work but stops the camera reading CF cards, you need V1.11 I have this if you need it as it took me 1 week to find it

I don't understand as in the setup menu section there is a part about non CPU lenses so the camera must be able to accept them. I have no problem with my Tamron 90 mm macro lens.

Last edited:
7le38zI.jpg

from a book by D busch on the D810.

In my opinion a far better book than nikon put out and well worth the money. Might take a year or two to read from cover to cover with the 576 pages

link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-l...pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1305577272/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

this is good too if his other books ive had are anything to go by
http://www.dslrbodies.com/books/bythom-complete-guides-/nikon-d810-guide.html

Well, v1.11 doesn't work with that non CPU lens either, so I think I have an issue with the camera, so off to be fixed it will go!
why not take that lens to a camera shop and try it on on of their cameras.You could say you are thinking about getting the d810 but as you already have this lens you want to know if it works on the D810 first take a memory card with you.

Well, v1.11 doesn't work with that non CPU lens either, so I think I have an issue with the camera, so off to be fixed it will go!

What exposure mode are you using Dave?
Dont know if same for 810 but d700 if using matrix metering and program or shutter speed modes it wont work.

Last edited:
What exposure mode are you using Dave?
Dont know if same for 810 but d700 if using matrix metering and program or shutter speed modes it wont work.

It was in Aperture priority. I've tried loads of different settings and it won't work. I think there's something wrong with the camera as the lens works and meters just fine on my D300. The camera was in the back of my car (in a camera bag) during a recent road traffic accident, so something may have been jolted out of place in the camera, so I need to send it off to get it checked (and my lenses).

Well, I have just spent an hour fine tuning the 150-500 to the camera, and in all honesty it didn't need doing, the focus seems spot on at 150 and at 500 so will give this combo another run out only this time when we have some decent light and I wont be using auto ISO as I think that may have contributed to the poor IQ last Saturday

Oh and I don't use auto ISO either generally in manual mode at least, I use ISO 400 as a starting point, that is unless I am using my light meter

having the dial to flick through individual photos or 10 at a time really helps.

One problem and it is down to me and not the camera is keeping enough it still with a hand and arm only 95% good after a bad fall the other year. It seems to get excited just as the shutter is about to click , needs more training I think

Last edited:
I`m surprised more people haven`t joined this thread, considering how many 810 owners are out there. Hey ho, I guess it`s just us then :)

I`m surprised more people haven`t joined this thread, considering how many 810 owners are out there. Hey ho, I guess it`s just us then :)

Well I've recently found this thread, so here's a few of my recent images with this incredible camera. As you can tell I like landscapes and nature :D

Elgol by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Sgùrr Thuilm by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Where Others Have Trodden... by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Oh if only....! by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Tufty! by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back