D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

I've not posted anything in the thread for a while, mainly as I haven't been out much with the camera over the summer. Now it's autumn I'm getting bit of a backlog! Every year its as if for the whole of summer I'm waiting for autumn. Deer, autumnal tree's and seals will now see me well until the new year. Maybe she Owl's need to be thrown into that mix along with Berwick Swan's.

Here's a few from my recent, and only, trip to see the Red's this year. Got to love Red Squirrel's, there's just something about them and their behaviour.

Red Squirrel
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Squirrel
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Squirrel
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Squirrel
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

With it being September, it's now early starts to see these guy's nearly every weekend morning for the next few week's whilst the rut's in full swing.

Red Deer at Sunset
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

And one from this mornings visit :)

Red Deer Roar
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi all,
II’m new to this forum, as I’ve just purchased a second hand D810. I am very impressed with the images that I see on here. I look forward to using my new toy, and to the occasional contribution to this forum.
Roger

Hi all,
II’m new to this forum, as I’ve just purchased a second hand D810. I am very impressed with the images that I see on here. I look forward to using my new toy, and to the occasional contribution to this forum.
Roger
Welcome to the D810 thread. It’s a nice camera, it can definitely produce good images. if the light is good you’re on to a winner :)

Oh dear has everybody left this forum and gone on to the D850?

No! Currently in Portugal with the 810, so should have something to post in a couple of weeks.

The D810 thread has always been a little quiet as there is also the D800 thread (that captured quite a few D810 users). The D850 thread doesn’t look that much busier than this one. If you want to see a busy thread have a look at the D750 one. That thread is crazy although the majority of the post are either about missing eye pieces, screen protectors or anything but the D750!!

I’ve been thinking of asking on here what everyone’s feel is about ISO performance with the D810. I’ve noticed I have been trying to keep ISO down, usually I’m trying to keep below ISO1600 (all images above are below ISO1600). I just have a feeling that I’m not happy with anything above ISO1600 on the D810. Previously on the D750 I was really impressed with ISO performance and really happy with anything up to ISO3200. Just wondered if others had the same feeling?

I’ve been thinking of asking on here what everyone’s feel is about ISO performance with the D810. I’ve noticed I have been trying to keep ISO down, usually I’m trying to keep below ISO1600 (all images above are below ISO1600). I just have a feeling that I’m not happy with anything above ISO1600 on the D810. Previously on the D750 I was really impressed with ISO performance and really happy with anything up to ISO3200. Just wondered if others had the same feeling?
I’ve just got mine and had a D600 (same sensor as D750 - which I’ve also owned.

TBH I find them all a ‘wash’ once you’ve down sampled the D810 files to 24mp there’s very little in it.

I’d even not consider the D750 as better in low light. Yes technically it is but it’s so slight it shouldn’t be a consideration.

Rob, I shoot weddings with an 810. I regularly go up to iso 6400. Last weekend I even set the upper limit to 12800 but I didn’t get up that high.

I’ve just got mine and had a D600 (same sensor as D750 - which I’ve also owned.

TBH I find them all a ‘wash’ once you’ve down sampled the D810 files to 24mp there’s very little in it.

I’d even not consider the D750 as better in low light. Yes technically it is but it’s so slight it shouldn’t be a consideration.
Rob, I shoot weddings with an 810. I regularly go up to iso 6400. Last weekend I even set the upper limit to 12800 but I didn’t get up that high.
That’s good to know. I’ve had a look through my recent images, it seems I was generally shooting at higher ISOs overall than on previous trips (likely due to poorer light because aperture and shutter speeds we roughly similar). I’ve been looking through Lightroom and comparing the two, there doesn’t seem any real difference to me. I’ve found a D810 ISO2800 image that’s come out nicely with really no noticeable noise.

Red Squirrel
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Seems I’ve just got it in my head that there was a difference and needed a gentle reminder that I’m talking rubbish ;)

Last edited:
Btw, I’m not saying shoot at 6400, I’m just saying there is no need to be scared of it. Correct focus is always preferable to noise :)
Usually I don’t have a problem with high ISO. I was pretty happy bumping up the ISO on the D750 to over ISO3200-ISO6400 when the need arised. I just got in my head the results on the D810 weren’t so good, probably thinking due to the MP increase. Like you say better it’s noisy and sharp than no noise but blurred. I will make sure I don’t worry about high iso and start bumping it up when need the arises :)

An early trip to Woburn for the rut this morning. Not many Red Deer close but a few Sika stags close enough. There was some good light in places and I got luck with a couple of Sika's.

Sika Stag
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Sika Stags Fighting
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Definitely no issues with ISO this morning, I stupidly forgot to change the aperture/shutter speed from the last time out. Thankfully seem to have got away with shooting at 1/200 sec and f2.8!

Another from Sunday morning's trip.

Sunrise play fight
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

I went this evening after work too, it turned out to be a somewhat bizarre and scary trip. When I got there I watched two fallow stags having a fight and really going for it. The problem was they were each on opposite sides of a metal fence! They looked very confused why they weren't winning the fight or moving an inch. On the way out I took the narrow pedestrian path between two fences and closed in by gates at either end. Unfortunately a female fallow deer and its fawn had got into this pedestrian area. The doe bolted straight pass me when I spooked them upon reaching the end of the path. The fawn tried to jump the 6-7ft fence on either side but tired so I could slip slowly past behind a tree in a slightly wider area. Having a deer run past at speed only inches away wasn't an experience I would like to repeat. Previously I've never felt scared by the deer, as long as you give them space and don't cut off their escape route all is ok.

Last edited:
Fantastic birds, so colourful. There was a free roaming one in the village I used to live in. Never really knew where it came from but it was always outside the indian restaurant so I always guessed it was theirs. You had to be really careful not to hit it when driving past as it spent quite a bit of time on the pavement and in the road, how it never got killed I don't know.

Last edited:
I've just edited this from Sunday morning's trip.

Sunrise Sika
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

This year I've been trying to go where the light is good and not prioritise Red Deer stags if they aren't in the right place over other deer in good light. I'm starting to get a good appreciation for Sika's. They may not be Red Deer but they are still very photogenic, especially if the light is good.

Some cracking images coming out of your D810 cameras fellas, I do still wish I had mine but the D4 fits my needs far greater...……..keep em coming as I do enjoy seeing them.

Thought I'd attach this link below regards the D810 via JuzaPhoto website, many amazing and inspiring images to view over many cups of coffee at your leisure. Make sure you scroll down to see the images, it's over many pages...

https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=nikon_d810

Regards;
Peter

Went out for half an hour to the canal seeing as I had some free time, just to give the new camera and lens a quick test, not a lot to see to be honest but still got to test them out and I am impressed with the Tokina 28-80 f2.8 on the D810

DSC_0086 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

I’ve recently bought a D810 and after calibration of all my lenses on the Tamron Tap In Console I need a new shutter ;)

I do enjoy using it very much, it’s low light af does make me wish I’d got a D850 though.

In better light yesterday I took a series of shots of my little lad. Came away with an absolute cracker composition and expression wise but oddly it wasn’t in focus unlike the others in the same series.

My old D600 would have only got the one image in focus out of ten but ironically it was usually the ‘better one’

I’m still not completely satisfied with the af but having spent the best part of two days calibrating my Tamron lenses I’m going to keep this for a while!

I’ve recently bought a D810 and after calibration of all my lenses on the Tamron Tap In Console I need a new shutter ;)

I do enjoy using it very much, it’s low light af does make me wish I’d got a D850 though.

In better light yesterday I took a series of shots of my little lad. Came away with an absolute cracker composition and expression wise but oddly it wasn’t in focus unlike the others in the same series.

My old D600 would have only got the one image in focus out of ten but ironically it was usually the ‘better one’

I’m still not completely satisfied with the af but having spent the best part of two days calibrating my Tamron lenses I’m going to keep this for a while!
Hi mark,
I’ve just got my D810 as well, so I have to go through that procedure as well. Not looking forward to it. All of my lenses are Nikon, but any tips or shortcuts would be appreciated

If its any consolation @Brazo and @rogerj I had a D810 a while ago and really struggled with it, IQ seemed well off due to the large resolution, the slightest breeze seemed to ruin any chance of any decent shots, I did keep plodding on with it but in the end I realised a D810 wasn't the best choice for aircraft photography, don't get me wrong, it can get the shots but its hard work, so I sold it and bought a D4 which is the best action camera I have owned but after visiting airbases for many years I was getting to the point of "If you have seen one aircraft, you have seen them all" and after this years holidays being spent at bases around the UK we have decided to spend holidays in coastal villages or up in the Welsh or Scottish mountains, so the D4 has gone and another D810 is here, and first thoughts last week were, what have I done, but now I have a decent walk around lens, the Tokina 28-80 f2.8 I am now well and truly in love with the D810...…….play around with it, get used to its quirkiness and you will grow to love it.

If its any consolation @Brazo and @rogerj I had a D810 a while ago and really struggled with it, IQ seemed well off due to the large resolution, the slightest breeze seemed to ruin any chance of any decent shots, I did keep plodding on with it but in the end I realised a D810 wasn't the best choice for aircraft photography, don't get me wrong, it can get the shots but its hard work, so I sold it and bought a D4 which is the best action camera I have owned but after visiting airbases for many years I was getting to the point of "If you have seen one aircraft, you have seen them all" and after this years holidays being spent at bases around the UK we have decided to spend holidays in coastal villages or up in the Welsh or Scottish mountains, so the D4 has gone and another D810 is here, and first thoughts last week were, what have I done, but now I have a decent walk around lens, the Tokina 28-80 f2.8 I am now well and truly in love with the D810...…….play around with it, get used to its quirkiness and you will grow to love it.

Thanks Dangermouse. The trouble I had with the D600 was that I couldn’t trust the outer af points only the centre one. The D810 seems a lot better in that regard plus it has a wider spread of af points so all in all it’s a big upgrade. Lens wise, all my lenses have vr and I have set the camera to shoot 2 x focal length minimum shutter speed. A gripped D810 and a 70-200 2.8 isnt light though and I’m not a gym bunny!

@rogerj Calibration is easier with a Nikon lens (although more restricted) as you only have to calibrate one focal length and one focal distance.

I use Reikan Focal to work out the adjustments needed and it’s pretty good.

I had to calibrate my last one but this one seems spot on straight out of the box for focus so I aint mending it if it aint broke...…..but I really have started getting the good stuff from mine this weekend.

Thanks Brazzo and Dangermouse 1964,
I have a D750 as well at present,but was going to sell it,but perhaps I’ll keep it for a while for my action shots (wildlife), and see how things go.

@rogerj If you find some lenses don't AF on the D810 don't panic, it just needs the camera firmware rolling back, I have had to do this to both my D810s and if you need the firmware I have it saved, just message me and I will email it to you, or anyone who needs it as Nikon have removed it.

The D810 in the Pyrenees

_DSC3446 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3406 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3202 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The amount of shadow recovery applied to this was ridicuous but it's totally clean even at 100%

_DSC4237 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

This needed a fair few highlights pegged, and no problem for this camera and no artifacts or anything depsite a chunk of recovery done.

_DSC4316 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Colour rendition is a joy in this camera and the little 20mm F1.8 is a joy

_DSC3945 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3975 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC4048 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I'm using the D810 alongside the D500 for my bird photography.
This image is with the recent Nikkor 300mm f4 PF lens, 1/800 @ f5.6, ISO 1000
I'm tending to use the D810 with primes, keeping the D500 for zooms.

DSC_0567 - 2018-10-29 at 12-28-33 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr
Excellent Malcolm, great capture...! A nice camera/lens set-up that.

Hope your keeping well?

Regards;
Peter

Back