D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

Excellent Malcolm, great capture...! A nice camera/lens set-up that.

Hope your keeping well?

Regards;
Peter

Hi Peter,
I'm fine thanks - good to know things appear to be improving with you!
ATB
Malcolm

I'm using the D810 alongside the D500 for my bird photography.
This image is with the recent Nikkor 300mm f4 PF lens, 1/800 @ f5.6, ISO 1000
I'm tending to use the D810 with primes, keeping the D500 for zooms.
Very nice shot Malcolm. It’s one on my list to capture. Must do some research into hides available.

DSC_0567 - 2018-10-29 at 12-28-33 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Lone Tree Lynn Padarn by Philip Higgins, on Flickr
One from a day trip to wales

This one really does appeal and the primary reason for me is, bearing in mind I am seeing this on my phone, the compositional 'structure'........lovely balance of foreground, mid-ground & background plus and this is key the sky and clouds pattern adding to/giving the leadin lines (yes, plural) of the whole composition.

Lone Tree Lynn Padarn by Philip Higgins, on Flickr
One from a day trip to wales

This one really does appeal and the primary reason for me is, bearing in mind I am seeing this on my phone, the compositional 'structure'........lovely balance of foreground, mid-ground & background plus and this is key the sky and clouds pattern adding to/giving the leadin lines (yes, plural) of the whole composition.

Not been anywhere recently to take photos so my D810 is just sitting on the desk. I normally use the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G lens with it but this is in for repair as the zoom ring is stuck. i did get great results using the nikon 50mm f1.4g lens so that will go to Japan as well on my holiday next year.
One thing I have to point out is the camera strap. Why do Nikon insist on including that stupid strap blazoned with the name and model number which keeps twisting up?. I have got so fed up with them on on the other 2 Nikon cameras i have done away with them. Now using Peak Design and what a difference. no more cutting into the neck, PD far more comfortable . On top of that no advertising what you use far more discreet and easy to change from one camera to another. The grip is on the D800 at the moment
cMvm48y.jpg

i did worry at first about clip the tying to camera part but need not have done of PD it is amply strong enough.

Last edited:
Not been anywhere recently to take photos so my D810 is just sitting on the desk. I normally use the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G lens with it but this is in for repair as the zoom ring is stuck. i did get great results using the nikon 50mm f1.4g lens so that will go to Japan as well on my holiday next year.
One thing I have to point out is the camera strap. Why do Nikon insist on including that stupid strap blazoned with the name and model number which keeps twisting up?. I have got so fed up with them on on the other 2 Nikon cameras i have done away with them. Now using Peak Design and what a difference. no more cutting into the neck, PD far more comfortable . On top of that no advertising what you use far more discreet and easy to change from one camera to another. The grip is on the D800 at the moment
cMvm48y.jpg

i did worry at first about clip the tying to camera part but need not have done of PD it is amply strong enough.
Been using the PD slide for a few years now, best strap I’ve used (and I’ve used a lot :oops: :$)

cMvm48y.jpg

#
I bought a couple of the old favourites, the Optech strap,having tried others - I am quite happy with these now,and.shall stick with them I think.

Just ordered a second hand lower shutter count one from Clifton Cameras while they have their used sale on, looking forward to getting a D810 back in my hands again, I was tempted to sell my D500 and get a D850 but could not bring myself to part with that amount of cash just yet for one body.

Good shots, I am really happy with my d810, looks as if you are too. The strap in my photo makes a huge difference to carrying it, far more comfortable

Last edited:
Just though this thread needed new input. So here shows how good the camera is. Taken at Sheffield park today

One photo as taken using a 24-70mm nikon lens and the other same photo cropped and enlarged. it is amazing how much detail is there in the cropped photo

now cropped and enlarged

G56VcYL.jpg

This is why i love the Nikon D810 and the 24-70 lens combo even the video is quite good with it(hand held)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adi8jSXg7Tg

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've just picked up a nice low count 810 and a couple of 1.8 primes; a 50 and an 85 - all as new and only used a few times. Happy as a pig in the proverbial about it I am too. :)

I'm after some recommendations for a mid-range zoom - this is my first FF camera and I'm really pleased with it, but as I use a wheelchair; moving backwards and forwards for framing can be a little tricky at times (I have an assistance dog attached to the chair too). Something in the range of 35 - 120 (+ or -) would be good. I don't want to pay a fortune so a 3.5 or f4 would be fine. My budget is between £600.00 & £800.00 for a used one.

TIA

Hi everyone,

I've just picked up a nice low count 810 and a couple of 1.8 primes; a 50 and an 85 - all as new and only used a few times. Happy as a pig in the proverbial about it I am too. :)

I'm after some recommendations for a mid-range zoom - this is my first FF camera and I'm really pleased with it, but as I use a wheelchair; moving backwards and forwards for framing can be a little tricky at times (I have an assistance dog attached to the chair too). Something in the range of 35 - 120 (+ or -) would be good. I don't want to pay a fortune so a 3.5 or f4 would be fine. My budget is between £600.00 & £800.00 for a used one.

TIA

Nikon 24-120mm f4 gets a lot of love and you’ll have a bit of change I would think

Reactions: Sky
I prefer the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, it is tack sharp when tuned with the camera , see previous posts no 34. check out fleabay

Last edited:
I prefer the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, it is tack sharp when tuned with the camera , see previous posts no 34. check out fleabay

I did give that some thought, but I want just a little more reach if I can. I currently swap between a Sigma 17-70 and a Nikkor 18-105 on my D7100 with the Sigma being the better lens, but I just got used to the 105. It doesn't really matter with the extra pixels and being able to crop a little more plus better IQ I suppose. I'll have to give it some more thought - thanks. :)

Hi everyone,

TIA
Tamron have just announced a very interesting lens.

A 35-150 2.8-4.

No word yet on price but it should be lightweight, sharp and reasonably priced going by their other recent lenses.

Reactions: Sky
Tamron have just announced a very interesting lens.

A 35-150 2.8-4.

No word yet on price but it should be lightweight, sharp and reasonably priced going by their other recent lenses.

Hmm . . . might be worth a look.

I rarely buy new stuff though - I begrudge giving the government 20% of the price in VAT. :mad:

update on my Nikon D810

Sue and I went to see the first place the national trust bought , Alfriston Clergy House in East Sussex built about 650 years ago. Bit awkward getting photos in such a small area with the lens I had so took a photo of the village church standing just in front of it.

sWZUzA4.jpg

HAND HELD edit from RAW to Jpeg to post on here. Shame some clarity lost in download. The writing on the tombstones on original RAW file can be easily read. I won't do closeups of the furthest as it might seem disrespectful

Nikon D810 - Nikon 24-70mm G lens @ f11 - ISO64- 1/60" -auto white balance - at 34mm

Managed to avoid taking into direct sunlight which was helpful.
Just one other thing I would like to mention. I am testing a Nikon EN-EL15a I got of ebay from China. . Yes I know it was a risk and only paid Just under£17. What a bargain!!!!.

Here is what it has used so far and that is loosing 2% to get this shot. That is not allowing for chimping either

eO7rgcz.jpg

Also seeing how many photos I can get on new 64 gig SD and CF cards in the camera. Don't think I will use up the cards before the holiday

Last edited:
how do you get the fn button to be for group focus
doesn't seem to be an option ?

Can you assign the fn button to the menu item that allows you to choose focus mode, not that you would want to as there is a focus mode selector button already
Not entirely sure I get your drift, but you could assign it to 'My Menu'.

I’ve been thinking of asking on here what everyone’s feel is about ISO performance with the D810. I’ve noticed I have been trying to keep ISO down, usually I’m trying to keep below ISO1600 (all images above are below ISO1600). I just have a feeling that I’m not happy with anything above ISO1600 on the D810. Previously on the D750 I was really impressed with ISO performance and really happy with anything up to ISO3200. Just wondered if others had the same feeling?

Honestly - I cannot bare to push it beyond ISO200. It really is happy at ISO64 and 100. I can see grain by ISO160 that just isn't there at ISO64 or ISO100. The D800 in this regard I found far better as it's totally clean at ISO200 whereas the 810 isn't.

I process in Aperture 3 so am using Apples RAW decoder. Chances are you are using Adobe which decodes RAW a little differently.

also how do i reduce the time my top small lcd display shows info before it goes into stand by ?

the HDR on my menu is greyed out !
how do i activate it ?

feature does not work if RAW or RAW+Jpeg is selected.

I strongly recommend you get this book, grab it right now before it goes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAVID-BU...101817?hash=item4d96d63279:g:VEAAAOSwUSBdDflM

this is the normal price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Buschs-Nikon-Digital-Photography/dp/1305577272/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=DAVID+BUSCH`S+NIKON+D810+Guide+to+Digital+Photography&qid=1563229108&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I have it and the best book i have come across. I got it for £20

Last edited:
Back