D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

You wont regret it but please don't try and kiss me in thanks. It has so much information in it, what I now do is only go to the relevent pages that I need. that is where I got your HDR answer from

let me know what you think of it please in my in box

Oh the book weighs nearly 4lb to give you some idea

the other question go to menu d11 backlight for top display is either on or of . I don't think it goes off completely

Last edited:
AhCxcB2.png

Red Admiral getting nectar

Nikon d810 and afs 24-70mm lens ( windy day as well)

original photo
ZVh42Ie.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Peter

I suppose it is time I gave an update on my D810 and extras.

I got fed up with the on camera flash because on the 24-70mm lens it created a half moon shadow on the picture. Ok so now with the SB900 flashgun i have had for some time i thought it was about time it was put to use. Then I realised working remotely it would only work line in sight. Any other position was useless. So next was to look at wireless radio trigger/receiver but nothing too expensive.
I came across a product called pixel king pro being and still is being sold for around £55 (on ebay new). It is shown with version 2 but when it came it was version 3 a lot more expensive from other companies.

So what do I think of pixel King pro ? First of all it takes AA batteries in transmitter and receiver some don't. Also when the transmitter is on the hotshoe it has a though connection so you can still add another flashlight onto the camera , that is the second bonus. Does it perform?yes I have triggered the flash from one room while in another no problem. Distance also appears as claimed but only tried it at 60ft away. Would I recommend it? yes at that price you can't really loose and Pixel also sell a pro flashgun that has a built in receiver according to the blurb, my next purchase .

Why on earth I did not buy a radio flash trigger/receiver before beats me, i am well pleased with it

Pwqmpeu.jpg

these two photos as the same apart from the light from the left and right, something one is unable to do without radio flash triggers

Kik4Zub.jpg

G48mScj.jpg

So i did a very quick try out also using a wireless shutter release. You will see the SB900 flashes twice and in a position which would not work in optical (line of sight)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR-fNDF87nU

Last edited:
don't often see photos on here with such a wide angle lens, certainly different for a change. Normally I would say it is not exactly what I would like, however having the wheel in the first photo somehow allows this to be quite a clever shot with the building bending to the same shape. At least I think so. Good on you for taking and posting it. Not too sure about the second photo I will leave an open mind on that as your shadow is in it

Reactions: Kei
don't often see photos on here with such a wide angle lens, certainly different for a change. Normally I would say it is not exactly what I would like, however having the wheel in the first photo somehow allows this to be quite a clever shot with the building bending to the same shape. At least I think so. Good on you for taking and posting it. Not too sure about the second photo I will leave an open mind on that as your shadow is in it
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. It can be a very marmite lens for a lot of people. I quite like it but I rarely use it as I'm not really a wide angle person. I do find that it can work wonders on interiors but it's uses generally require using the distortions to help make the image rather than just using it as a simple ultra wide angle.

This is more my thing, shot with the old AF 55mm f2.8 macro. (a couple of portrait images stitched into a panorama)
Mermaid Quay by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
This thread seems to have almost died. Has everyone gone Fuji/D850/Z7/Sony?

Anyway, two more from me with the old venerable 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
Swan by Kyle, on Flickr

Cardiff Bay by Kyle, on Flickr

Using the old 35mm f1.4 Ai-S

A couple from this week. All taken using a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII

Evening all.

I've decided I need a hobby and I think it will be photography. I've flirted with it in the past for work but never took it seriously. I love landscapes and buildings, been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia a couple of times and some half decent photos on basic cameras and I would like to do more and better.

I've been looking at cameras and I think the Nikon d810 ticks the boxes. Looking at 2nd hand and maybe expensive for a newbie worst case scenario I can always sell it.

I have about 2 million questions but a couple will help me get started. I've seen one on e bay with a 18-55 mm lens but what lens would be recommended for a newbie, I'm not bothered about being able to take a photo of Lewis Hamilton at 200mph or a close up of the man in the moon, something to start me towards the photos on this thread would be great.

2 nd question is does a better/bigger memory card make a difference?

The book that's been mentioned looks like a good idea and my local college has a 10 week course starting in January so I think I will do that but to start with is getting out there and start clicking.

Any opinions greatly appreciated

Evening all.

I've decided I need a hobby and I think it will be photography. I've flirted with it in the past for work but never took it seriously. I love landscapes and buildings, been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia a couple of times and some half decent photos on basic cameras and I would like to do more and better.

I've been looking at cameras and I think the Nikon d810 ticks the boxes. Looking at 2nd hand and maybe expensive for a newbie worst case scenario I can always sell it.

I have about 2 million questions but a couple will help me get started. I've seen one on e bay with a 18-55 mm lens but what lens would be recommended for a newbie, I'm not bothered about being able to take a photo of Lewis Hamilton at 200mph or a close up of the man in the moon, something to start me towards the photos on this thread would be great.

2 nd question is does a better/bigger memory card make a difference?

The book that's been mentioned looks like a good idea and my local college has a 10 week course starting in January so I think I will do that but to start with is getting out there and start clicking.

Any opinions greatly appreciated

A D810 is a heck of a complicated camera to start as a beginner with! Personally I’d buy something less complex and spend the rest on lenses and days out, but if you’re happy to spend the money and the time to learn it then it’s a great camera. I sometimes think it’s more camera than I need but it might be exactly what you’re after. It’s ability to produce big prints or crop in heavily is great and the dynamo range at low ISO’s is excellent.
The 18-55 lens isn’t likely to be the best choice for it as it’s designed for crop sensor cameras rather than full frame so you won’t be able to use it at 36MP. The 24-120 or 24-85 are excellent lenses that I’d recommend and can be had for less than £500 used.

I have to disagree With Andy to some extent about getting the Nikon D810. I made the mistake he is suggesting because before long you will be wanting a better camera and loose a bundle doing so. That was my BIG error. I went from D70s- D200- D300 - D800- D810 and lost a lot of money on the first two but still got the other three
You can start with any camera using it in fully auto mode as you may do with the D810. Later on you will be wanting to try out different functions in the menu. By getting the D810 you already have the camera, no need to upgrade so won't loose a bundle in selling and buying better.

If you want to learn it really doesn't matter that much with whatever camera you get there is still a learning curve to get through but with the D810 everything is there already to use.
Of course with a "pro" camera against a "consumer" camera a lot also depends on the glass (lens) that goes with it. That is were one has to give a lot of though to as FX lenses generally cost more that a DX consumer lens. But if you want the best it costs and I would suggest starting out with the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G lens (new £1200 but a lot cheaper used). It will cover most of what one wants to photograph.

Always remember it is the person behind the camera that takes the photo, the camera only records it. So not only learning about the camera but what-how- when makes a good photo

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, and versions of both replies I have considered before. I think I will stick to the original plan and make sure I take the time and learn how to use it

Thanks for the replies guys, and versions of both replies I have considered before. I think I will stick to the original plan and make sure I take the time and learn how to use it

Spinksey, take note of this regarding lenses:
The 18-55 lens isn’t likely to be the best choice for it as it’s designed for crop sensor cameras rather than full frame so you won’t be able to use it at 36MP. The 24-120 or 24-85 are excellent lenses that I’d recommend and can be had for less than £500 used.

And buy a general book about photography, I would suggest this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Exposure-Fourth-Photographs-Camera/dp/1607748509/ref=sr_1_1?crid=35KYF6EPMWY3Z&keywords=bryan+peterson+understanding+exposure&qid=1574324535&sprefix=bryan+pe,aps,130&sr=8-1

I’ve had the D810 for 3-4 years and recently had an odd problem with it that I am getting Nikon to sort out for me (currently still with them). The rubberised covering on the card housing lifted up and the covering on the grip became quite baggy. I’ve never had this before on a camera. Maybe it happened because I use the grip most of the time when carrying the camera.
As I get older I find the camera is quite a heavy chunk of tech to handle. Have you found any carrying mechanism / sling that works well with the camera, takes the weight off the hands and allows the camera to be quickly mobilised for shooting?

Back