D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

I’ve had the D810 for 3-4 years and recently had an odd problem with it that I am getting Nikon to sort out for me (currently still with them). The rubberised covering on the card housing lifted up and the covering on the grip became quite baggy. I’ve never had this before on a camera. Maybe it happened because I use the grip most of the time when carrying the camera.
As I get older I find the camera is quite a heavy chunk of tech to handle. Have you found any carrying mechanism / sling that works well with the camera, takes the weight off the hands and allows the camera to be quickly mobilised for shooting?
I use this Cotton Carrier CCS G3 Camera Harness System for Two Cameras - Grey works well for me with the d850 and z6 long lens on the 850 and wide on the z6 look a bit of a prat but getting old myself so don't care :)

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide

I have one of these on both my D810 and D4. Marvellous things - I was walking round with my D4 and 24-120 for several hours on Saturday and the weight just wasn't a factor.

It looks really good. Do you use it as a sling or neck strap? The neck strap option doesn’t look any better than the Nikon strap the camera comes with. I must admit one of the things that puts me off a bit is the tripod mount and how secure the camera is. Have you had any problems with that?

It looks really good. Do you use it as a sling or neck strap? The neck strap option doesn’t look any better than the Nikon strap the camera comes with. I must admit one of the things that puts me off a bit is the tripod mount and how secure the camera is. Have you had any problems with that?

I use them as slings. I tried a Blackrapid in the shop but found that the camera banged against my hip as both ends of the strap secured to one point, whereas the Peak Design one secures to one of the side eyelets and to the tripod mount so is less prone to moving round. Never had any problems with the tripod mount on either strap on either camera, probably worth a quick tighten every now and again I suppose but I don't recall doing so.

I just use a normal nikon AN-6W strap on my D810 & F5 and always carry them on my shoulder. It works well and is comfortable. Sadly it's an absurdly expensive accessory.

One from my lunch break this afternoon.

I just use a normal nikon AN-6W strap on my D810 & F5 and always carry them on my shoulder. It works well and is comfortable. Sadly it's an absurdly expensive accessory.

One from my lunch break this afternoon.

Thanks for this. I decided after some research to go with the Peak Design Slide.

Have you ever tried the Virtual horizon feature in the menu setup? AS soon as you get it nearly correct the screen cuts out. However this can be made to stay on for longer
I found you need you go into customs setting menu and "b" Metering and exposure.

Then into Timers/AE lock "c4". In there you will see information display in the drop down list.

If you toggle right it comes up with information display and it is here you can alter the length of time the display stays on the rear screen.

I set it for 5 minutes which gives plenty of time to get the menu screen to stay on. I looked in my ref books and it doesn't give this info. You can also alter playback-menu-image review-live view as well
For me having a longer rear live view allows me to go through shutter speed aperture and ISO settings without having to rush

Last edited:
Just pulled the pin on one from the classifieds, slowly moving my lens collection over to FX over the last couple of years leaving me just short of something wide. I'm still keeping some DX stuff as I'm keeping the D500, D300 and S5Pro,

Its a bold statement but its the last body I will ever buy.....

Right, I'm off to read through this thread.

These won't get a look in once you've used the 810 with a decent lens. ;)
The D500 for quick action is superb and will still be useful, the older bodies are great for travelling cheap and light plus I'm hoping to put them in the hands of my grandchildren as they are getting old enough to try.

I picked up a well used D3 a few years ago and coupled with the 85 1.4 it's my go to combo for portrait stuff, especially my 7 month old granddaughter.

Reactions: Sky
Some excellent shots!

I haven't been too active in a while, buy my D810 came back from repair from Nikon and I shot these of a friend of mine at the end of January in Edinburgh. My word it was cold! And grey and wet :( Nevertheless, the D810 does deliver - always a good time using that camera.

Full set here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLceqaT

DSC_6839-gwen by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

DSC_6888-gwen by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

DSC_6967-gwen by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

DSC_7124-gwen by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

DSC_7161-gwen by Chris Reynolds, on Flickr

Just replaced the rubber grip on the memory card door, 10 minute job and it looks like new again.

I did the same and posted about it in December 10/11 with photos. As you say easy fix hardest part was getting the old glue off prior to fitting the new grip

I did the same and posted about it in December 10/11 with photos. As you say easy fix hardest part was getting the old glue off prior to fitting the new grip
Used my finger tip to roll old glue into small balls and pick off, remaining residue cleaned with Auto Glym tar and glue remover followed by diluted isoproponal using cotton buds.

Have a problem for you guys .....
If i mount my 24-105 sigma art F4 and view through the eyepiece .... af button and image is in focus ..... picture on pc is OOF ..... if I view through live view and af and shoot the image is in focus and is sharp as ever ..... I want to shoot handheld through viewfinder ..... whats wrong ? I have sigma Dock and played and adjusted for 7 hours and it changed but couldn't get it improved ....lens ended up at 0 again ....

Please help

what happens if you try the camera on a tripod and use a remote trigger release say in A mode? if ok then it is not the camera lens or PC but something else. does this happen at all focal lengths?

Last edited:
I always shoot on tripod ....landscapes ... if I focus through viewfinder it looks in focus but image on card and pc is OOF .... if I switch on live view and focus the image on card and pc is sharp ....

Not sure about other lenses ....ill let you know later as I've just bought a new one

when looking through the view finder is the information at the bottom in focus or do you need to adjust the diopter so that they are? just trying to eliminate the obvious first. the only other thing i can think of is the unit behind the viewfinder is out of alignment, but I am not that up on the inner workings of a camera. only other thing is to do a basic reset back to the original settings and see if that clears the issue

Last edited:
Thinking about a D810 to have a tinker around with during what is going to be a quiet year. I've been mirrorless (Sony or Fuji) for a long time now, does anyone shoot mirrorless and a D810? There is some really cheap interesting glass about that I couldn't get close to on the Sony (i.e. the Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 AF-S, one of my favourite lenses back in the day) which wouldn't cost much to buy and sell on used if I didn't get on with them.

I'd love to try one at a wedding but having got used to the silent shutter on the a7RII I'm worried the shutter noise will be one hell of a shock.

I know long term it's basically taking a step backwards, with the way things are going, but a decent camera is still a decent camera in 12/24 months time.

Thinking about a D810 to have a tinker around with during what is going to be a quiet year. I've been mirrorless (Sony or Fuji) for a long time now, does anyone shoot mirrorless and a D810? There is some really cheap interesting glass about that I couldn't get close to on the Sony (i.e. the Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 AF-S, one of my favourite lenses back in the day) which wouldn't cost much to buy and sell on used if I didn't get on with them.

I'd love to try one at a wedding but having got used to the silent shutter on the a7RII I'm worried the shutter noise will be one hell of a shock.

I know long term it's basically taking a step backwards, with the way things are going, but a decent camera is still a decent camera in 12/24 months time.

Nikon D810 has a quiet shutter - not silent but pretty quiet. You'll find a slight reduction in resolution and IMHO a nicer handling camera than a Sony. It's very nice camera and only bettered by the D850 and Pentax 645z

I reckon the latest and greatest sony stuff will be better glass wise - but the later F mount primes (20 1.8g is a peach) and lots of used F mount lenses appearing in the classifieds as everyone bails out to Z mount

Last edited:
Thinking about a D810 to have a tinker around with during what is going to be a quiet year.

I've just ordered myself a new D850, so my D810 will be going up for sale very soon. If you like, I'll give you a heads up when I put it in the classifieds section - it should only be a couple of weeks or so. It's in superb condition with a low shutter count - it's hardly been used due to this damned Covid lark over the last year. There maybe an f4 24-120 going too as I've recently bought the 24-70 f2.8.

I've no experience of mirrorless - they don't appeal to me in the slightest because I hate using an EVF. I'd rather go back to film cameras.

one from 2017 his 12th birthday sadly passed last February after more than 15years of loyal companionship:(
D810 AFD135mm f2.0 DC

Birthday Boy by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

when looking through the view finder is the information at the bottom in focus or do you need to adjust the diopter so that they are? just trying to eliminate the obvious first. the only other thing i can think of is the unit behind the viewfinder is out of alignment, but I am not that up on the inner workings of a camera. only other thing is to do a basic reset back to the original settings and see if that clears the issue
The diopter is set correctly thanks .....I do use reading glasses but it's set so I don't use glasses when looking through eyepiece

I always shoot on tripod ....landscapes ... if I focus through viewfinder it looks in focus but image on card and pc is OOF .... if I switch on live view and focus the image on card and pc is sharp ....

Not sure about other lenses ....ill let you know later as I've just bought a new one

Have you calibrated the lens and body. I’d just run a quick check by setting up a tripod and aiming at a decently lit static object. First image through live view second image through af. Then take a set of photos with af adjusting the calibration level between each, +20,+15,+10,+5,0,-5,-10,-15,-20, one with live view at -20 calibration, reset calibration to 0 , image with af, image with live view. You can do the 45degree ruler thing if you want a handle on focus points

On screen just check the 3 lv images make sure all in focus. After that review each of the images and se if there’s an improvement around a particular calibration set. If you’re happy then set that calibration for that lens in camera, if you want to go further then do similar set of shots in the +/-5 range of the sharpest, i.e. if +10 was the sharpest in the first run then do a series of shots from +5 to+15 on each number and compare which is sharpest and set that.

If its a zoom lens, there might be a compromise if you’re doing it in camera but if you can get a dock for the lens the you can adjust at different focal lengths if required.

I've just ordered myself a new D850, so my D810 will be going up for sale very soon. If you like, I'll give you a heads up when I put it in the classifieds section - it should only be a couple of weeks or so. It's in superb condition with a low shutter count - it's hardly been used due to this damned Covid lark over the last year. There maybe an f4 24-120 going too as I've recently bought the 24-70 f2.8.

I've no experience of mirrorless - they don't appeal to me in the slightest because I hate using an EVF. I'd rather go back to film cameras.

Congrats. Thinking myself of a D850 for longer reach stuff - but not sure if they will do a D860 or D880 as a final swansong with the 61mp sensor from the A7rIV so holding out.

Like you I cannot bare the prospect of EVF's and the smaller size. I've encountered many when running workshops and I just cannot get along with them.

I have a Pentax 645z (well two) and it's an utter joy to use. It's just big. A D850 would be my small camera :D

Congrats. Thinking myself of a D850 for longer reach stuff - but not sure if they will do a D860 or D880 as a final swansong with the 61mp sensor from the A7rIV so holding out.

I did think about that as the 850 is a few years old now, but I didn't want to wait any longer. I'm not ruling out any further upgrades if GAS gets the better of me. ;)

Like you I cannot bare the prospect of EVF's and the smaller size. I've encountered many when running workshops and I just cannot get along with them.

I'm sure I'd be the same. It's not that I've anything against them, but I like to see what I'm getting with my eyes and I love the viewfinder on the 810 - as you know the 850 is a LOT better than that.

I have a Pentax 645z (well two) and it's an utter joy to use. It's just big. A D850 would be my small camera :D

I'd love to make the move up to MF, but as I'm just a hobbyist with a limited income, I could never justify the cost.

I'd love to make the move up to MF, but as I'm just a hobbyist with a limited income, I could never justify the cost.

The camera is expensive but the lenses are very cheap second hand on eBay. Ultimately though, if it's wildlife you shoot - full frame is a better bet and the D850 is a lovely camera - maybe the best 35mm format digital camera ever made, followed probably by the D810 or 5dsr.

I like shooting birds, but only in the garden though as I use a wheelchair, but as I've just moved into a flat with no garden, that won't be happening any more. :(

It's good to hear that the lenses aren't that expensive - that's news to me. Maybe I'll take a look next year - I've got to recover from the recent cost of the D850 and two 2.8 zooms this year. :eek:

I like shooting birds, but only in the garden though as I use a wheelchair, but as I've just moved into a flat with no garden, that won't be happening any more. :(

It's good to hear that the lenses aren't that expensive - that's news to me. Maybe I'll take a look next year - I've got to recover from the recent cost of the D850 and two 2.8 zooms this year. :eek:
If its the latest and greatest 70-200 2.8 E ahd 24-70 2.8e vr you've got you're in for a treat

I’ve used a Fuji system alongside Nikon for years, mainly as a smaller, lighter alternative for when I don’t want to spend the day hauling the D810 (and D700 before it) and a bag of fast lenses.

I can’t comment on the Sony as I’ve never used one, but by comparison with the Fuji X-T2 (which I do like) the Nikon is more intuitive to use. It maybe because I’ve used Nikon DSLR’s since 2005, but I’ve used various Fuji mirrorless as well since about 2013, so I’m familiar with how they work. But the D810 is a big old lump though by comparison! Image quality is superb and I can always recover impressive amounts of shadow and highlight detail. AF is fine for what I use it for but struggles a bit in low light in my experience, and the quiet shutter is definitely quiet but not silent - I’ve used it with no problems at weddings in preference to the D700 as the shutter on that was like dropping a bin lid on the floor. I absolutely understand the benefits of an EVF, but I prefer optical. Battery life on the D810 is miles better.

Things where the D810 is lacking - no wifi / Bluetooth for image transfer and no flippy screen are the main ones for me. It’s also huge by comparison.

I don’t buy into the fact that because manufacturers are focussing development on mirrorless that there’s no point buying a a DSLR. As someone said above, a good camera is a good camera, and as long as it works, can be repaired and you can buy lenses for it, then it will continue to produce images that were as good as when it left the factory.

as much as i love my D810 i just saw the image number in some exif. how have i only taken just over 1500 shots with it? o_O

can't completely blame lockdown but wtf, i thought i'd used it much more than that!....

hopefully get a bit more use out of it this year :)

Back