D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

i have just got a D90 as i have been usind a D50 for about 2-3 years and didnt want too go upto a D300 as i simply dont have much idea what half the things do so didnt want to get to much out of my depth. Only had 2 little outings with the D90 and the difference with the D50 is amazing i never really found any issue with the D50 apart from lact of detail when cropping but cant see me ever using the D50 again even though i was gonna keep it as a spare (missus not tried the D90 yet so she still happy with her D50 :p )

as for the issue with the flash being loose i only have a Sb400 (never used it as never get the time to go night racing) but it isnt wobbly when fitted in mine. Just need to get some better lenses but at the moment the prices going the wrong way so gonna stick with what i got for now.

Last edited:
Mikey, have you approached the mods about a separate camera users section at all? I think it would be great.

No - I agree it's a great idea but with so many DSLR's might be an admin headache for them ?

I have a terrible tale to tell. Last night I turned off my lovely 1 month old D90and the memory card access lamp began to flash repeatedly and only stopped when I took the memory card out. Also it didn't do this when the camera was on..strange thought I, I know I'll ask the good people on TP for help. 'Green flashing lamp of death' was the reply, aaaagggghhhh was my response. :bang::bang::bang:
So, phoned Calumet, "bring it in we'll have a look" I'm told. Looked at it tonight before re-packing it and, sadly, it had passed away in the night.
Nothing, nada, zip. Completely lifeless, it has shuffled off this mortal coil and joined the choir eternal. Bugger, damn etc. :shrug:

So beware of the green flashing lamp of death, it bodes ill.

Andy

Oh dear Andy, I'm so sorry to hear about your D90.

I hope the guys at Calumet will be able to bring it back to life or give you a spangly new one. Keep us informed of what happens.

Alison :)

Thanks both, it was a bit of a shock.
I have, fortunately, still got my D70, so I can at least take piccies.

Andy

All ok. It was a duff battery and not the camera.

Andy

Two questions really, how do you take the battery door off without damaging it and can this be done regularly without breaking it?

Secondly are any of the non Nikon ones on ebay any good

Thanks all.....

After bargaining Jessops down to 789 for my d90 last week, I went into town today and looked into a well known store. Guess what, D90 bundle selling for 745. If I had a gun ,I would have shot myself.

my D90 has shown a couple of faults recently. first one is the flash...it failed to go off a couple of times (the on-camera one) and i had to pop the flash down and pop it back up to get it go off. the battery was on full charge and it was the first flash as well.

the second problem actually worried me a bit, i was shooting a few random pictures then, the camera refused to open the shutter, the normal beep when focus was acquired and then nothing, turn the camera off and turn it on, the same thing, and did again the same thing, until the third time and it was ok.

anyone got any explainations?

my D90 has shown a couple of faults recently. first one is the flash...it failed to go off a couple of times (the on-camera one) and i had to pop the flash down and pop it back up to get it go off. the battery was on full charge and it was the first flash as well.

the second problem actually worried me a bit, i was shooting a few random pictures then, the camera refused to open the shutter, the normal beep when focus was acquired and then nothing, turn the camera off and turn it on, the same thing, and did again the same thing, until the third time and it was ok.

With the first one, what mode were you shooting in?

With the second what lighting conditions were you shooting in?

first one was in Manual with 0.15sec and rear curtain and the second one was in AP as well as Manual and was in brilliant light

Last edited:
Hi,

I've recently joined the D90 owners club (do I get a badge :D ) and
I'm not able to import the RAW files into lightroom, is there an update available or would I need to upgrade to lightroom 2?

Cheers Lee

Hi,

I've recently joined the D90 owners club (do I get a badge :D ) and
I'm not able to import the RAW files into lightroom, is there an update available or would I need to upgrade to lightroom 2?

Cheers Lee

Lee, I believe it's LR2 you'll need. I have LR2 as well as Photoshop CS3 and the RAW was read fine from the D90.

Are you enjoying the camera btw?

Steve

Hi Steve, thought that might be the case.

As for the camera, I love it. Its a big jump for me from the D50, and have a lot to learn, but I'm already seeing a huge difference in quality when shooting in poor conditions.

Lee

Hi fellow D90'ers,

Just a quick one. I was taking some pics at the weekend and kept getting 'F--' come up on the top LCD for some reason. It was resolved by removing the battery and putting it back in but was somewhat worrying to be honest. Had to do it about four times in total.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this at all?

erm i think it happened to me once but im sure that was when the memory card wasnt in or something like that

Have you tried downloading the latest RAW plugins update via LR? It may well work (not that I've tried it....just thinking out loud!).

I couldn't find an update for LR which enabled the use of the D90 RAW files but I have found a free Adobe RAW to DNG conversion tool which then allows you to use them. So problem solved, just not as simple as a straight import of the original RAW file.

Mine has done the exact same thing! Was at a party recently and somebody i know who's well into his cameras asked if he could take a few shots with it. As the room was dark you'd expect it to pop up, but nada... had to pop the battery out then in again for it to start working again??

any ideas?

I also had the same not firing thing too (was at the Zoo) but that was literally about my thrid time using it so may have been pilot error :thinking:

Hi fellow D90'ers,

Just a quick one. I was taking some pics at the weekend and kept getting 'F--' come up on the top LCD for some reason. It was resolved by removing the battery and putting it back in but was somewhat worrying to be honest. Had to do it about four times in total.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered this at all?

I hadnt used my D90 for a couple of weeks and had this happen to me for the first time today. Tried removing the battery and resetting the camera - one of those seemed to sort it, but I wasn't paying attention as to which one!
Later on the camera locked up displaying 'Err' and then 'F90'. Although the battery was displaying two segments, I replaced it with a fully charged one and the error hasn't re-occured (yet?).

Just got mine today. Battery's charging up, the hood is on, a new strap with swivel locking snaps, and an SD card formatted for its new adventure.

Hope I'll manage to sideswipe any defects or new camera bugs. :)

By the way, op manual says I have to completely drain the battery the first time it's in use. Any suggestions on how I might do so? It's already 9PM so my outside shooting opportunities are shot. What's the best way to drain it fast? I've already recorded two movies with it and the battery's still at 73%.

I hadnt used my D90 for a couple of weeks and had this happen to me for the first time today. Tried removing the battery and resetting the camera - one of those seemed to sort it, but I wasn't paying attention as to which one!
Later on the camera locked up displaying 'Err' and then 'F90'. Although the battery was displaying two segments, I replaced it with a fully charged one and the error hasn't re-occured (yet?).

Bit worried by a few errors being mentioned. I'm going to give mine a bit of a test tonight as I've not used it for a little while.

Bit worried by a few errors being mentioned. I'm going to give mine a bit of a test tonight as I've not used it for a little while.

Few and far between as far as I can tell. Don't go looking for errors that may not be there on your camera, just enjoy it!

Hi, i bought a D90 last month and been reading the tutorials and instructions on KR's site.
I like the use of the 'My Menu' menu but i'm quite new to DSLR's, i know that with time i'll be able to configure it for my comfort, but till then would anyone like to share what they've put in theirs to give me some pointers on the most common things i'd need/want to change on a regular basis.

Be warned guys the shutter on the D90 is quite loud in quiet environments...shot a wedding at the w/e and the noise from the shutter was louder than i would have liked....felt almost awkward with every shot i fired.....almost needs a towel around it to muffle the sound if you are close to the action !

Only problem I have is Adobe bridge wont always read the RAW files, sometimes it shows a preview other times not even from the same shoot. Opens perfectly in camera RAW, anyone else had this?

Just ordered one. can't wait.

I currently have a D60 which I am probably going to sell but I wouldn't mind keeping hold of it as a second camera. We will have to wait and see.

I'm getting a D90 on Monday, and I'm keeping my D40 as a 2nd body, mainly so at a wedding I can have the D90 with a prime and the D40 with my 50-150.

benwall,
Can I just ask why your upgrading to the d90 from the d40?
I have a D40 and have been looking at the D90 for about 3 weeks now, but not totally convinced that its going to give me that much more. I have had my D40 long enough to know where everything is in the menus and can get there and change things pretty fast.

Having said that. I want one, and when you want something bad enough, it becomes a need....its an on-going battle

Just wondering what your justification was as I don't think I can hold out much longer and may need more justification for when the wife asks ;-)

Back