D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Edit My Images
Yes
Guys,

I suggested on another thread about starting a D90 owners thread so here we are :)

As the title says the thread can be used for any D90 discussion / questions whether by current owners or those thinking of upgrading to the D90 ;) Be good for owners to post any snippets of info about the camera or smart features they've stumbled across. Also be good to pop down some images you captured withthe D90 that you are very pleased with.

Over to you guys...

That sounds like a good idea. What would be even better would be a whole new section from the main menu then a thread for each camera, lens, computer etc. Anyway good look with the thread, should be useful.

Im hopefully going to be the owner of a new d90 + 18-105 vr lens soon. I was thinking of a d80 but i have hopefully managed to get a good saving on the D90, and seeing all these thread about it has convinced me. So im blaming all of you that im spending my money.

you won't regret it trust me

Liss - I upgraded from a D40 (a great little camera) and you will notice a step up in features, speed and hopefully PQ once i get the hang of it :D

Liss, you will not regret it for a second! I upgraded from the D40 to a D90 and absolutely love it.

Mikey, great idea for a thread. I'm relatively new to the D90 and will definitely benefit from people with more experience of it's features. I've not got any pictures that I'm really proud of yet, but have a few on Flickr to have a wee look at in the mean time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23813987@N03/

I would just add that getting the Nifty Fifty at £85 to go with it was one of the best decisions I've made. Such a fun lens to learn with and is probably more used than my 18-200.

JD, the ISO performance is probably the thing that I've been most impressed with thus far.

I've shot at 1600 and taken some shots I was really happy with (especially as I didn't mean to have it that high and had forgotten to turn it back lower). It's a whole new world!

Ok my first tip.
When you want to get a good idea of what White Balance to use try switching to live view and scroll through the WB options to see what one looks good on the lcd.

I have found this works well.

well my plan for a bargin price hasn't worked :(
2 more options, my dad is going grand caneria in a few weeks and he mentioned about getting it there, but warrenty tax etc ... I'm thinking about
Or just buy it in England .
JDholic where did you but yours from

well my plan for a bargin price hasn't worked :(
2 more options, my dad is going grand caneria in a few weeks and he mentioned about getting it there, but warrenty tax etc ... I'm thinking about
Or just buy it in England .
JDholic where did you but yours from

Liss, I got it out of Argos purely because they had one in stock, I'm a buy now worry later person. It's out on a store card. With the kit lens it works out at 85 a month for 9 months.

It will get a good urbex test tomorrow!!!

That's where I'd get mine from LOL
I was planning on using the 10% staff discount there , but the person didn't want to risk it because it's so dear and it's obviously not for themselv LOL
I've got the money just don't like parting with it :(

That's where I'd get mine from LOL
I was planning on using the 10% staff discount there , but the person didn't want to risk it because it's so dear and it's obviously not for themselv LOL
I've got the money just don't like parting with it :(

It's a big step up from a d40 Liss, (I will talk you into it) I didn't realise how much until I got one.:eek:

Ok my first tip.
When you want to get a good idea of what White Balance to use try switching to live view and scroll through the WB options to see what one looks good on the lcd.

I have found this works well.

Now that is very handy - saves taking a pic in each before deciding (y)

Any one have any tips on settings etc. Or are the defaults ok ?

Hello am looking at buying my first dslr.I checked out the D90 yesterday in Jessops and it felt good maybe a little heavy but what do i know.Im thinking if i do buy something a little cheaper,will i be looking to upgrade in a year or 18 months time.Would love some honest opions,Cheers.

If you can afford it and are convinced you will use it then definately go for the D90 - it has everything a DSLR needs and won't leave you in 12months saying i wish I had that feature or wish I had more mp etc etc

Thanks Mikey,where would you say is the best place to buy?see someone earlier reccommends Argos.Also is the vr kit the way to go or just body only.

well argos is one of the cheapest at the moment, also unless you already have a lens then you might aswell get it with the vr 18-105 imo

Ah if only you had pre-ordered the D90 from Jessops!

I got the £700 camera for about £575 with free 8GB SDHC and Crumpler Bag through an incorrect invoice from JEssops.

---

The D90 is definitely a great investment, I wouldn't go back on it!

well ive just reserved one to collect from argos, i managed to find one that had in in stock so i could play with it today :)

A few things from my favourites worth looking at/noting...

Ken Rockwell D90 User Guide

D90 Tips

Flickr D90 Video Group

Official Nikon Documents (Manual etc)

A couple of books now available...

Thom Hogan Guide
D90 Digital Field Guide (£9.59)
D90 Magic Lantern Guide (£10.49)
D90 Magic Lantern DVD Guide (£15.62)

A few videos on Youtube which really give you an idea of what's possible...

[YOUTUBE]R-o4_jIh6xQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GgmrOrzPVvk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MrwOJ773E3I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Nl8ks2lByDU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZhudQxile1M[/YOUTUBE]

Love my D90, started looking for a DSLR october last year and couldnt make up my mind. After trying Loads the D90 was definitely the one for me on balance. Close other conteneder was Canon 50D but the prices just killed it. However I kept watching the prices and got a D90 with 18-105 on Boxing day from amazon for £670, couldnt believe my luck and it was only available for a couple of hours. Managed to get a 70-300 VR to go with it from Jessops for £280, I cant believe how the prices are going up at the moment. I know its down to exchange rate but surely the risk is you price yourself out of somebodys consideration

yey i am now the owner of a d90 (wish the battery would hurry up and charge) im excited

Anyone else very impressed with the metering for flash pictures on the D90 ?

On My D40 direct flash was a little too severe but on the D90, notably with my Sb-400 external flash, the direct flash pics are perfect. If anything the results bouncing are not quite so good.....maybe I need to look into this.

I upgraded from the D70s to D80 at Christmas. Was a small improvement, but decided to go for the D90 instead. Got more or less my money back on the D80, and know I am very please with the D90.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with the high ISO performance.

I did not want liveview or video, and tbh I dont use them much, but I see the WB trick via liveview, so I might start to use it more.

It fulfils all my needs, and would highly recommend it.

I upgraded from the D70s to D80 at Christmas. Was a small improvement, but decided to go for the D90 instead. Got more or less my money back on the D80, and know I am very please with the D90.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with the high ISO performance.

I did not want liveview or video, and tbh I dont use them much, but I see the WB trick via liveview, so I might start to use it more.

It fulfils all my needs, and would highly recommend it.

I had the same thought about the liveview and video but once i found the WB trick i now use it for this as it's not far off in my eye.

I have also found the liveview helpful for framing up low shots, switch it on frame your shot and turn it back off, as i dont think the autofocus is upto much in liveview.(y)

Some good bits of advice - keep them coming. My ol'man picks up his D90 tomorrow from Birmingham Airport (only £640 for the kit) and has a Sigma 18-200 on its way.

I told him he should go for Canon but decided a Nikon would give him an excuse for crap images!!!

DB

That's a great price for the kit Imp - how's he managed that ?

It's at the airport. Pre-ordered it about a month ago as he knew he wasn't flying home for a while (he lives in Dubai) so got it at the original price.
He's just picked it up and well chuffed, sat in the lounge waiting for his plane playing!

DB

Nothing to report yet. They sre suffering terrible sandstorms so he's putting off taking it out just yet. I think his plan is to head into Deera sometime for a play when the weather is clearer.

I shall make sure I get some sample pics up as I am intrigued to see the result.

DB

Found it useful that in playback if you rotate the rear wheel it toggles between pic / pic + exif + histo.......quite handy

I've found that my SB-600 flash when seated and locked in the hotshoe is a bit...wobbly. Nothing too serious, but enough to irritate. Any other D90'ers out there found this?

Hadn't noticed but I've only used it once for about 10 shots on a tripod. I'll have a look tonight see if mines the same.

Andy

I've found that my SB-600 flash when seated and locked in the hotshoe is a bit...wobbly. Nothing too serious, but enough to irritate. Any other D90'ers out there found this?

SB-600 (two) and SB-800 both fine on my D90.

Back