D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

williamj1 said:
Can anyone recommend an interval timer remote for doing time lapses? Lots of reports of cheapo ones breaking the metal port in th GPS output.

I have one of the mc36 clones and it works just fine. I only use it once in a blue moon tho. I had one previously but the connector fell apart after some very light damage so the build quality may not be the best... As with anything else if you're using it regularly it may be worth sourcing the real deal (y)

Morning All

This may be a silly question just brough a MC-DC 2 Remote cord,is it just plug and go have looked in the manual and car,nt see any thing to say i have to set any thing up,so before i go and just plug it in would i be doing the right thing ?

Thanks,Ian

Ian White said:
Morning All

This may be a silly question just brough a MC-DC 2 Remote cord,is it just plug and go have looked in the manual and car,nt see any thing to say i have to set any thing up,so before i go and just plug it in would i be doing the right thing ?

Thanks,Ian

Yep, that should just be plug and play, its only the infra red remotes that need settings messed with (y)

DrRusty said:
Walked in to the Cheltenham branch today - walked out with the last one in the display case :)

Just need to tell the wife :-$ !

I finally got around to putting the grip on the body this evening (no photos yet). Definately chunkier than I had expected and annouingly the gripped body is too big for my bag ! (lowepro flipside200). So I will need a bigger bag now ! :-(

I won't beable to sell that "need" too the wife for a few months yet!

Just explane that the grip will get damaged because you carnt get it in your bag and then you will have spent all that money and need a new one ;);),so it will be better to buy a new bag now rather than later

:),Ian

Last edited:
I finally got around to putting the grip on the body this evening (no photos yet). Definately chunkier than I had expected and annouingly the gripped body is too big for my bag ! (lowepro flipside200). So I will need a bigger bag now ! :-(

I won't beable to sell that "need" too the wife for a few months yet!

Just go ahead and buy it. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission :LOL:

I had the same problem with my bags, neither the walkabout bag ( just for the camera and 18-135) or the backpack was big enough, and as it was murder carrying the thing around in all that heat yesterday I just took the grip off. It was much more comfortable carrying the camera today so the grip might end up on here for sale soon providing I don't see a big difference, which I seriously doubt as I only bought it because I thought it would.

Chaps i have registered my camera and now have a Two Year Warranty from Nikon,do you get any paperwork for this as none has arrived yet.

thanks again,Ian

Ian White said:
Chaps i have registered my camera and now have a Two Year Warranty from Nikon,do you get any paperwork for this as none has arrived yet.

thanks again,Ian

Yeah I think I got some paperwork. It was in partnership with homserve!

thanks again,Ian

Mine is over two years old now, but I never received any paperwork despite registering. When I asked Nikon I was advised to contact Homeserve, but never bothered.

I got paperwork from Homeserve. Took about a month to arrive though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats a good walkabout lens for the D90? Some recommendations would be good. How many of you just use a prime lens?

I started with the kit lens. Progressed to the 50mm f1.8d and now the tamron 17-50 f2.8 is welded to the d90!

I'd also suggest the excellent 35mm f1.8.

Hope that helps

S

I have a sigma 18-50 an find I shoot more towards the 50mm end when having a walkabout, so gonna invest in the Nikon 50mm prime.

Q? Is there a difference in picture quality between the older 1.8d compared to the 1.8af-s or is the extra £'s purely for the focus motor in the afs?

Yeaterday I saw a battery grip still on clearance in the Leamington Spa Curry`s Tachbrook Park.

18-70 DX

Is this a nice lens for a D90? Or would i be better off buying the 18-105 VR?

samems said:
18-70 DX

Is this a nice lens for a D90? Or would i be better off buying the 18-105 VR?

I've only used one once and it was a nice, lightweight, sharp lens... was kitted with the D70 IIRC. I've owned the 18-105 and it was just that little bit more versatile, and of course was pretty much made for the D90. I'd say it comes down to VR vs. slightly nicer IQ, but there's really not much in it.

I never got on with my 18-105 but I was using it mainly on a D40, which didn't appear to be able to correct the CA, so I got rid of it. The D90 will most definitely correct the abberations tho.

Mine is over two years old now, but I never received any paperwork despite registering. When I asked Nikon I was advised to contact Homeserve, but never bothered.

Although the paperwork arrived from Homeserve when I registered my D90, I have never received any for the L120 I bought my Granddaughter last Christmas despite several phone calls and an e-mail to Nikon. It's alright for them to say as long as you have a policy number you will be ok in the event of a claim but I like to have paperwork to prove it.

AE-L/AF-L button

Does this work the same way as the * on a Canon? Press to keep exposure settings and then take the shot?

Also, now that i am getting my first D90, what settings should i makes sure are set in the Menu system before i start taking pics? Default settings that are a must.

samems said:
AE-L/AF-L button

Does this work the same way as the * on a Canon? Press to keep exposure settings and then take the shot?

Also, now that i am getting my first D90, what settings should i makes sure are set in the Menu system before i start taking pics? Default settings that are a must.

I'm not sure precisely how it works on canon, but on the d90 you can set it to lock AE, AF, both, or a few other options.

Just want to be able to press it for exposure and then move to re focus etc and keep that exposure

That's one of the options, it's how I usually have mine set.

I think default is exposure and focus, but you can just change it in the menu.

Just want to be able to press it for exposure and then move to re focus etc and keep that exposure

f4 in the Custom Setting Menu gives you the options for the AE-L AF-L button. You can either choose to lock exposure while the button is pushed or lock exposure with one push, reset with another push.

Page 200 in the manual explains all the options.

I have a sigma 18-50 an find I shoot more towards the 50mm end when having a walkabout, so gonna invest in the Nikon 50mm prime.

Q? Is there a difference in picture quality between the older 1.8d compared to the 1.8af-s or is the extra £'s purely for the focus motor in the afs?

The new 50 afs is a new design. The IQ on it is a bit better.

f4 in the Custom Setting Menu gives you the options for the AE-L AF-L button. You can either choose to lock exposure while the button is pushed or lock exposure with one push, reset with another push.

Page 200 in the manual explains all the options.

Not got the manual!

I know with the Canon i just pressed the * button to lock exposure and then next shot was back to normal. This is what i would like on the D90

Buys, what is the Lever on the back of the D90 for as it points to an L and .

Which should it point to?

It locks the d pad controls so you don't accidentally change focus points with your nose.

Another thing guys. I want to replace the plastic lcd cover for a GGS one. Any of you done that on the D90?

I will leave it on the Centre point so best lock it?

Also, is it best to leave camera on Auto ISO? Sorry for questions!

Its not best to leave it on auto iso no as a general rule, but its usefull during varying lighting when you dont always have the time to keep changing. Comes in very usefull on longer lenses, when you need to keep the focal length = 1/shutter speed rule.

I tend to leave auto iso on when I've not got my tripod with me. Aperture Priority during the day, and Manual during low light.

Back