dan_yorkshire's 52 2010 (Week 26 - Beginnings (Pg 15)

Dan, the feel for this is just superb... spot on and on theme.. love it.

Many thanks

what a great powerful image, nice tone and great idea.

Its like a farm workers offering to the gods!

perhaps consider having elbows in or darker edges to them as it seems to cut the image in half ;)

Cheers for your feedback, seems the elbows are a bit hit and miss, might try your suggestion if I get some free time.

Dan

This was my initial idea and whilst others came into my head over the week it is the one I have reverted back to.

I tried to make it fun, simple and colourful, almost like something you would find on the wall in a toddlers playschool wall etc.

Whilst I am happy with the final 'image' I hope next week to get back more on the photography side of things as my photography skills haven't been expanded this week.

This shot came to me as luckilly the word 'quad' is made up of 4 letters so allowed the idea to be done.

4488870341_ce85512f78_o.jpg

Happy easter everyone!!

Dan

This was my initial idea and whilst others came into my head over the week it is the one I have reverted back to.

I tried to make it fun, simple and colourful, almost like something you would find on the wall in a toddlers playschool wall etc.

Whilst I am happy with the final 'image' I hope next week to get back more on the photography side of things as my photography skills haven't been expanded this week.

This shot came to me as luckilly the word 'quad' is made up of 4 letters so allowed the idea to be done.

4488870341_ce85512f78_o.jpg

Happy easter everyone!!

Dan

Good thinking & well shot.(y)

I like the potato's shot in B&W, I agree with Sarah though on the arms.

The Quad is a fun and colourful idea.

very clever idea. the background colours are very colourful and it all comes together really well

Simple yet very effective. Love the colours you've picked too.

All in all a really clever shot well executed.

It's been said before but that's really good thinking. I love the simplicity of your shots and, each week, your great take on the themes, wonderful work...

Quad is so clever, 4 letters, a quad-picture and lovely colours, well done...

It's worked really well, the colours are really bold, it's simple and so on theme...

What a great idea and well shot Quad. Love the colours, it really does look like something that would be hung in a kids room. Well done.

good imagination and like the colours

(y)

I like the potato's shot in B&W, I agree with Sarah though on the arms.

The Quad is a fun and colourful idea.

Thanks Scott, fun and colourful is all I was after

Clever idea and beautifully executed - it looks deceptively simple. (y)

Cheers, may look deceptively simple but took me about 20 shots of each letter before getting the right angle etc.

I love your Quad. Really colourful, a very clever idea and well executed. Well done.

Jenny

Much appreciated Jenny.

What a great idea, they all look well shot and i love the vibrant colours, a perfect background to make them stand out.

Thanks Chris, glad you like the colours, was scared they might be a tad OTT on some peoples monitors.

very clever idea. the background colours are very colourful and it all comes together really well

Cheers Darren

Simple yet very effective. Love the colours you've picked too.

All in all a really clever shot well executed.

(y) Rob

It's been said before but that's really good thinking. I love the simplicity of your shots and, each week, your great take on the themes, wonderful work...

Quad is so clever, 4 letters, a quad-picture and lovely colours, well done...

Thanks Gary, thought someone may have come up with a similar idea but seems thats not the case (although still a few more to view)

It's worked really well, the colours are really bold, it's simple and so on theme...

:)

Ah! Very clever! Love it for it's boldness and colour and inventiveness

Cheers Sonial

What a great idea and well shot Quad. Love the colours, it really does look like something that would be hung in a kids room. Well done.

Great, I'm happy it would look good on a kids room wall, maybe I should do the full alphabet and try and sell a few :cool:

I had not seen this before I did mine , but I think yours has more impact with the coloured background and the seperated/ framed images.
Did you have a model our were they your own hands?

I had not seen this before I did mine , but I think yours has more impact with the coloured background and the seperated/ framed images.
Did you have a model our were they your own hands?

Tried with a tripop and my own hands but found it so hard to nail the angle of each shot so the hands are that of my partner, much easier!

I thought there might be a few with the same idea but looks liks only two of us (y)

Each shot taken with a white background so it could be easilly selected in PS and then the background painted in.

Nice colours for quad, I think you achieved what you set out to do! You can't use that technique for every week though :LOL: :D

Well thought out Dan. Good use of colours too.

Cheers

Nice colours for quad, I think you achieved what you set out to do! You can't use that technique for every week though :LOL: :D

Haha, you've spoilt my cop out card I was going to play every time I was stuck :LOL:

Borrowed a gun off a mate this week which was very scary.

Was going to try and recreate a sim city type of shot but soon changed my mind. Took this shot with a plain background and added some vignetting.

Used the 35mm @ 1.8 obviously focusing on the barrel end and throwing the rest oof.

Bit scary to see what the wife looks like with a shotgun, I wont be late home from the pub in a while

4512217240_e90d5b67d5_o.jpg

Time toplay catchup as never really saw anyones quads either

Dan

Last edited:
OMFGG !!!!

This is great, for all the wrong reasons ;)

Seriously, good choice of subject matter, nice lighting, DOF works perfectly.

It's actually a terrifying image, I LIKE IT :D

that's one terrific image for the Shoot theme. I'm well impressed.

I mean, there'd be no point showing us a Beckford shot at the moment, would there;)

Oops, *ducks head*

Hey, I'm still here! Beckford must have taken the shot:LOL:

Excellent, great use of DOF and the processing works well too. 10/10

Love your shot for QUAD - very clever idea and amazing colours and well executed.
SHOOT - what a great shot! Bet you'll have this image in your head everytime you have forgotten to do something that the missus has asked you to do! :LOL::LOL:

OMFGG !!!!

This is great, for all the wrong reasons ;)

Seriously, good choice of subject matter, nice lighting, DOF works perfectly.

It's actually a terrifying image, I LIKE IT :D

Cheers Rob, the more I look at it the more terrifying it gets!!!

that's one terrific image for the Shoot theme. I'm well impressed.

I mean, there'd be no point showing us a Beckford shot at the moment, would there;)

Oops, *ducks head*

Hey, I'm still here! Beckford must have taken the shot:LOL:

Thanks Rob..... I think?!?

I really shouldn't have revealed I was a Leeds fan should I, opening myself up to abuse, maybe I should have spent the ££ used to renew my season ticket on a new lens.... I'd get more enjoyment from it.

Cracking shot Dan, beautiful dreamy dof on the missus. I'd be quaking in my boots if i were you. A new pair of shoes should do it:LOL:

Maybe shares in a shoe shop might do it? Haha.... Cheers Chris

Excellent, great use of DOF and the processing works well too. 10/10

Wow never had a 10 before, much appreciated Steve

Love your shot for QUAD - very clever idea and amazing colours and well executed.
SHOOT - what a great shot! Bet you'll have this image in your head everytime you have forgotten to do something that the missus has asked you to do! :LOL::LOL:

Thanks for your feedback, your not wrong about the image staying in my head. We've only been married a few months n'all!!

Last edited:

Me too... and I really like your 'quad'. I normally find these sort of shots where people spell out the theme a bit lame as it can be applied to any theme. But this I like. A 'quad' of images, and a different means of presenting it. (y)

'Shoot' again is really nice and so very different from 'quad'. The vignette feels a bit heavy and I'm not keen on the mid grey that is so overwhelming on the left hand side of the image. But the idea and limited DoF is great! :)

Borrowed a gun off a mate this week which was very scary.

Was going to try and recreate a sim city type of shot but soon changed my mind. Took this shot with a plain background and added some vignetting.

Used the 35mm @ 1.8 obviously focusing on the barrel end and throwing the rest oof.

Bit scary to see what the wife looks like with a shotgun, I wont be late home from the pub in a while

4512217240_e90d5b67d5_o.jpg

Dan

That's very much what I was going to do if I'd had time, Dan. Bloody love it. I might have been tempted to dress the wife up in something fancy.

Brilliant Dan... :clap::clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Why didn't I think of this? If nothing else it would be one way of keeping the OH in line ;)

Seriously well done! You've judged the DoF perfectly. Just the right amount of blur / definition.
I'm finding the bright highlights on her cheek and neck ever so slightly distracting, but on the other hand it might have been a bit too grey without them.

All in all a very good shot and brilliant take on the theme.

Pah! From that angle it looks like she's gonna miss anyway! :p

Seriously though that's a great image, very strong, I like the everydayness of her clothing it gives an impression of a normal person pushed too far (can you tell I like vigilante movies?).

the colours and the dof suit it perfectly as well, very well done.

that is a brilliant take on the theme. Wanted to do something similar but alas I am lacking friends with a shotgun (or any other gun!)

(y)(y)(y)

'Shoot' again is really nice and so very different from 'quad'. The vignette feels a bit heavy and I'm not keen on the mid grey that is so overwhelming on the left hand side of the image. But the idea and limited DoF is great! :)

Thanks Lee, was a bit unsure about the vignette but feel it needed to be heavy to give the image a darker feel and remove some of the grey.

That's very much what I was going to do if I'd had time, Dan. Bloody love it. I might have been tempted to dress the wife up in something fancy.

Thanks Dean, and I am sure you would like to dress my wife in something fancy but lets keep the comments on photography thanks :LOL:(y)

Brilliant Dan... :clap::clap:

Thanks John, much appreciated.

:clap:

Why didn't I think of this? If nothing else it would be one way of keeping the OH in line ;)

Seriously well done! You've judged the DoF perfectly. Just the right amount of blur / definition.
I'm finding the bright highlights on her cheek and neck ever so slightly distracting, but on the other hand it might have been a bit too grey without them.

All in all a very good shot and brilliant take on the theme.

Thankyou Sarah. Know exactly what your saying with regards to the highlights and did try and see what they looked like with them darkened and your right, the image actually needs them so seperate the greys.

like the shoot shot .. lighting makes it very scarey

(y)

Pah! From that angle it looks like she's gonna miss anyway! :p

Seriously though that's a great image, very strong, I like the everydayness of her clothing it gives an impression of a normal person pushed too far (can you tell I like vigilante movies?).

the colours and the dof suit it perfectly as well, very well done.

Thanks Dean, glad you like. Tried looking for a balaclava for the shot and pretty glad I didnt find one for the reasons you mentioned with the everyday clothing. (y)

that is a brilliant take on the theme. Wanted to do something similar but alas I am lacking friends with a shotgun (or any other gun!)

(y)

Thanks Lynton, soon as the theme came out I thought about my mate with the gun, not sure what I would have done without it.

Cheers

Brilliant image for shoot.

Focus is bang on where it should be and you are a brave man to put a shotgun in the wifes hands. I know I wouldn't :eek:

Andy

love the idea for quad, fab vibrant colours and a great interpretation of the theme

thats great for shoot... wouldnt mess with your missus with that gun in her hands ;) love the dark feel, focus is spot on.. love my 35mm lens, use it most often on f/1.8

Back