weekly Daniel_Paul's 2018 52'er - Week Twelve Juxtaposition ADDED

Hi Daniel,

Age - Loving the colours in #4, very shallow DoF and nicely sharp in the focal plane. Was it handheld (1/15th sec) or tripod?
I also like #1 with the 9 gallon barrels and kegs.
Sharp - I love the subject. Not quite so keen on the editing (and this is probably just me, but) I would have added a graduated filter to darken the sky, and then increased the exposure to lighten the foreground. I think the carving would have popped more that way. YMMV.

I like the atmosphere of the photo, but as mentioned above it's a bit tightly cropped at the bottom. And how sharp can a wooden sword really be :)

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.
Week 5 - The second one of the barrels is better for me. Changing the view point a smidgen would have got rid of the edge of the blue sign (better than cropping)
Week 6 - The dark background cutting the sword does not work well for me - taking a lower view point and getting all the sword (at least) against the sky might have been better.

Ha ha thanks for commenting, appreciate it!

I do like that, something different. Liking the pp on this and the composition is spot on for me.

Age - I like the tree rings shot best of the bunch
Sharp - great find for the theme

Hi Daniel,

Age - Loving the colours in #4, very shallow DoF and nicely sharp in the focal plane. Was it handheld (1/15th sec) or tripod?
I also like #1 with the 9 gallon barrels and kegs.
Sharp - I love the subject. Not quite so keen on the editing (and this is probably just me, but) I would have added a graduated filter to darken the sky, and then increased the exposure to lighten the foreground. I think the carving would have popped more that way. YMMV.

Yes #4 was handheld, I fondly remember trying to stand up after and my knees killing me :LOL:

Age(ing) - a god set of images but I am torn between the second barrel image and the tree image, can't decide which I prefer.

Sharp - that is a lovely interesting carving and you have framed it well, lovely find for the theme.

Thank you all for your kind comments and feedback, much appreciated!

Daniel

I like the Sharp Image, the colour of the Item stands out against the nackground well.

Pete

I'm a bit behind due to being ill over the last week or so, anyway here is my image and vlog for Guard. I was hoping to get something decent whilst in London last weekend but we had a mare travel wise so that never happened.

Week Seven - Guard by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

I quite like the feel of negative space here but I was really clutching at straws for this assignment to be honest!!

I took this next one at first and was hoping for a bit more when I got home and looked through the images, better luck next week!

Week Seven - Guard by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Hmm, I think #2 for me actually. Though I think I would have gone for a square crop to emphasise the lock. It is still the main feature, even in the portrait image, but I don't think the sky necessarily adds anything to it.

Number two for me as well, like the textures

Hmm, I think #2 for me actually. Though I think I would have gone for a square crop to emphasise the lock. It is still the main feature, even in the portrait image, but I don't think the sky necessarily adds anything to it.

I blooming almost went for a square crop too but opted not to, should have stuck with instinct! Thanks for the feedback!

Number two for me as well, like the textures

Cheers Roger

Number 2 for me for Guarded. Not really feeling the first one.

Thanks Richard!

Both work, #1 just edges it, like the negative space and the pp choice works very well too.

Thanks Michael!

Hi Daniel

Square crop of 2nd Image works best for me, lots of Texture and gives the impression of not being able to get through.

Pete

I was going to pick the first one as my favourite as I like how the walls force you into the fence but then I saw the edited version of the second image and thats the one for me.

First for me, good tonal range and nice depth to the photo.

Cheers Chris!

Hi Daniel

Square crop of 2nd Image works best for me, lots of Texture and gives the impression of not being able to get through.

Pete

Thanks very much Pete!

I was going to pick the first one as my favourite as I like how the walls force you into the fence but then I saw the edited version of the second image and thats the one for me.

Nice one Mark thanks for the feedback!

#1 for me, great tonal range and processing, and the negative space on the rhs works well.

Week Eight - Thick

So I waited and waited for some snow for Thick and I managed to get something at least, I'm torn between the footprint and the thick ice over the lake!

I will add the vlog later on to the post!

Week Eight - Thick by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Week Eight - Thick by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Last edited:
The thick ice does it for me, good to get the depth gauge in. The foot print might have benefited from a lower angle?

Thick - thick ice for me as well the inclusion of the depth gauge helps give the image a focal point, focus is good and the conversion works well. I agree with Chris on maybe a lower point of view may add more interest to the footprint.

The thick ice does it for me, good to get the depth gauge in. The foot print might have benefited from a lower angle?

Yeah I should have got lower down really! Thanks for the feedback Chris!

Thick - thick ice for me as well the inclusion of the depth gauge helps give the image a focal point, focus is good and the conversion works well. I agree with Chris on maybe a lower point of view may add more interest to the footprint.

Yeah I agree, I struggled a bit with it this week, I'm glad I managed to get something, anything!! :LOL:

Guard #2 cropped works a treat. Battered and rusty ... loads of texture.

Thick ... footprints in the snow are a good idea especially more of them maybe leading towards or away from the camera. The measure/gauge is intriguing.

Guard #2 cropped works a treat. Battered and rusty ... loads of texture.

Thick ... footprints in the snow are a good idea especially more of them maybe leading towards or away from the camera. The measure/gauge is intriguing.

Agree on thick ice too, a good shot and showing the measure makes it more on theme goes well in mono :)

Thanks Chaps!!!

The second shot for me, there is more going on.
I would like to suggest having a play with the exposure, especially in the footprint. The snow has exposed at 18% grey (which is what a camera will do in very white shots). I feel you could do with increasing the exposure, whites, blacks and contrast to make it more punchy.

Only just managed to get my 'Abundance' one done. I went over to the Ouse Valley Viaduct (or Balcombe Viaduct depending on who you ask). It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit and only being an hour or so down the road I had no excuse really!

Balcombe Viaduct - Week Nine - Abundance by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Balcome Viaduct - Abundance by Daniel Paul, on Flickr

Really clever shot, is the final one you have used focus stacked? Enjoyed the "Vlog" as well, a new word for me!
I must admit I prefer the monochrome shots, but that is just personal taste. The sky on the fourth shot down looks great.

Really clever shot, is the final one you have used focus stacked? Enjoyed the "Vlog" as well, a new word for me!
I must admit I prefer the monochrome shots, but that is just personal taste. The sky on the fourth shot down looks great.

Thanks Roger, no it's not, I need to study up on it a bit more I think because it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. It's frustrating too because I know how to do it, it's just the executing of it I'm finding difficult but that's why I like this process really!!

"Excellent" set of Abundance shots Sir, fitting the theme perfectly.(y)

"Also we enjoyed your video, (my wife reckons you resemble Frank Lampard)" :D:D

George.

"Excellent" set of Abundance shots Sir, fitting the theme perfectly.(y)

"Also we enjoyed your video, (my wife reckons you resemble Frank Lampard)" :D:D

George.

Thanks George!!

Cheers for watching, I've gotta say I've not heard that one before ha ha!!

Loving these Abundance images - No1 very nice and superb in B&W, but the second one for me is the one - great concept and angle. I wouldn't have quite worked out what it was unless I saw the first one with the rounded bottoms to the arches

Loving these Abundance images - No1 very nice and superb in B&W, but the second one for me is the one - great concept and angle. I wouldn't have quite worked out what it was unless I saw the first one with the rounded bottoms to the arches

Thanks Ian much appreciated!!

Daniel

I prefer the 2nd shot, the B&W helps with the confusion of colours in the other one. On the 1st B&W I feel there should be detail in the sky as shown in the colour version looking the other way.

Pete

Looks like a great piece of architecture, you're lucky to have it available to you :)
A very hard choice for my fav, but I think I'm going to go with #1 of the set.
Nothing wrong with any of the others, but #1 just speaks to me of the effort that our Victorian forefathers put in to create these.

Daniel

I prefer the 2nd shot, the B&W helps with the confusion of colours in the other one. On the 1st B&W I feel there should be detail in the sky as shown in the colour version looking the other way.

Pete

Looks like a great piece of architecture, you're lucky to have it available to you :)
A very hard choice for my fav, but I think I'm going to go with #1 of the set.
Nothing wrong with any of the others, but #1 just speaks to me of the effort that our Victorian forefathers put in to create these.

Thanks chaps! Appreciate it!!

Back