South-West England Dartmoor Discussions

I’m a bit rubbish at shooting the actual Tors though - these are the shots from my last trip to Staple. Not sure what the To behind the tree is - any ideas?112E7033-0B96-467B-B6D8-4746737A487B.jpeg0F763A41-145C-4376-9109-DAB64AD280FD.jpeg5CDC58A6-4B2E-41AC-948D-5191F9C5B414.jpeg

I’m a bit rubbish at shooting the actual Tors though - these are the shots from my last trip to Staple. Not sure what the To behind the tree is - any ideas?View attachment 312153View attachment 312154View attachment 312155
Kings Tor, I'd say. With the railway curving round it.

Yep, I'd say Kings Tor too, just above the tree in the left side of the shot it you can make out in the haze Yellomead Farm which is on the track to Foggintor Quarry.

Close, as you said. I always think 'I recognise that view but where the hell is it?' I don't generally take this sort of wide shot so I don't have any references, only a gut feel which is difficult when you don't know the viewpoint. At first I was misled into thinking it was higher up the west side of the moor, Peter Tavy sort of direction, but the shape of the enclosed land below Cox Tor was the giveaway.
Not bad considering I haven't walked that particular area for 5 years though............ and now I'm really wishing I hadn't looked up that fact :( When 'normality' returns my poor old Defender will be almost living on the A30. If you see him parked up anywhere just say hello to him. He's rather unmissable.........

View attachment 312148

He looks ridiculously clean in that photo - I don't know why. Must have rained hard on the way down.............
Name these tors is too easy.........
Arthur looks more like a Safari to me Jan? I'll be sure to keep an eye out once we are allowed out. (y)

Arthur looks more like a Safari to me Jan? I'll be sure to keep an eye out once we are allowed out. (y)

He's a county station waggon. Station waggon because he has the bench seats and windows in the cargo bay down the back - county because he has the sun roof and fabric seats. So in spite of being 22 years old and rather battered he's top of the range.... :D In reality of course the sun roof leaks and the seats have waterproof covers. I think the safaris were the equivalent in the older, series models. I've had him coming up 11 years and the previous one 14 years. Defenders..... not a car but a way of life.....;)

The Tors then..............

Shot 1 L-R Cox Tor, Great/Middle Staple Tors and Pew Tor

Shot 2 L-R Staple Tor, Pew Tor, Great Mis Tor and Kings Tor

Every March I take a fresh group of Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award candidates out for a couple of days in the vicinity of Great Mis Tor. It was my last trip out in 2020 before lockdown hit us. Missing it this year and seeing a pic of it has just rubbed salt into the wound... :)

Last edited:
He's a county station waggon. Station waggon because he has the bench seats and windows in the cargo bay down the back - county because he has the sun roof and fabric seats. So in spite of being 22 years old and rather battered he's top of the range.... :D In reality of course the sun roof leaks and the seats have waterproof covers. I think the safaris were the equivalent in the older, series models. I've had him coming up 11 years and the previous one 14 years. Defenders..... not a car but a way of life.....;)

He's probably worth more than you paid for him these days, Jan - they're stupid money now.

IIRC the Safaris had roof vents and a double skin roof but whether that carried on from the Series models to the Defenders, I'm not sure.

Great photos, how to you get to take these during lockdown?
If that's for me, thanks.
I walk from my door in a 5 1/2 mile loop (I live on the edge of Dartmoor) carrying a 40lb pack of photo equipment (GFX 50S Digital Med Format Kit) to keep my legs strong and fitness up but only use my Fuji X-T2 handheld during the walk so I don't stop for any length of time to get the shot. My wife and I go every Saturday for exercise and whatever the weather gives me I photograph it. All within the rules of the lockdown.

Last edited:
He's probably worth more than you paid for him these days, Jan - they're stupid money now.

Not long ago I saw one same age same model on sale for twice the price I paid for mine. Great if I just wanted to sell mine. Not so good when I can't imagine not having a Defender. I just hope I can keep Arthur going for a long time but not getting regular long trips isn't doing him any good. Fortunately where I live every legitimate journey I do is quite long but a 150 mile round trip to Dartmoor is what we both need.
Please no-one mention the 'new Defender' aka Pretender. I'm sure they're very good (??) but they're not Defenders. A Freelander/Disco 4 hybrid at best.

Liked and unliked a few times for truth!

An uncle had a 110 that was a little tired when he bought it so he spent a couple of hundred sorting it. After 5 or 6 years, he decided that he wanted the comfort that a Discovery offered and that the Defender was even more tired than when he got it so he flogged it on for (as you pointed out) around twice what it had cost him several years before.

Still miss my 90, although the drive is quite thankful that it doesn't need to absorb the drips of oil sweat it used to leave (Mind you, most of the 90's drips fell on the holes that the more regular drips from the SWB had left!!!)

Just saw this on another forum (not photography related!) in reference to Series Landies.

Leaf sprung lurch technic!

This thread has gone quiet, I suppose because of the lockdown but here's one from yesterday, any takers to name the Tors?

View attachment 312021

Shot 2 again any takers to name the Tors?

View attachment 312022
Here's what I think - top photo: left to right - Cox, Gt Staple, and Ingra over to the right. Can't quite make out what's in front of Staple, looks like the shape of Vixen, but looks too high up imo. Bottom photo: left to right - Gt Staple, Ingra (nearer), Gt Mis, and way over to the right, Kings. I'll be interested to see what others think. .....Isn't this fun ;) ......I love both photos btw, which really capture the mood of Dartmoor (y)

Nice try Jean and not far off the mark.

Shot 1 L-R Cox Tor, Great/Middle Staple Tors and Pew Tor

Shot 2 L-R Staple Tor, Pew Tor, Great Mis Tor and Kings Tor

I think Ingra Tor is too low to be seen from where I was shooting.#

BTW I named them a while ago. ;)
Ah, thanks a lot for the answers, Paul - and of course - Pew Tor, I can see that now. I have to confess that I didn't go back through the thread where I would have seen you naming them - duh! Never mind, I enjoyed trying to identify them! ....Incidentally, and I'm hazarding a guess, were you shooting from the Plasterdown area - or from that direction?

Up above Horrabridge towards the old Harrowbeer Airfield, it gives a good view of that side of the Moor and I can get there from my house on foot (1 1/2 miles uphill). Although I expect you could get similar from Plasterdown, might have to try some time.
Thanks Paul - not too far out - roughly the same direction. Not been that way for a couple of years....Freedom is almost here!!

Mrs Exige and myself have a lot of love for Dartmoor. It's been a while since we headed over there. Must rectify that soon.

Here are a couple of my favourite places from there. Venford Falls and Brentor Church. Please excuse the fairly shady photography and editing. I'd only been using a camera for a few months when these were taken...

Double Falls by MesTCS, on Flickr

Brentor Church by MesTCS, on Flickr
Impressive work, especially if you've only been using a camera for just a few months (y)

A couple from yesterday

Top Tor. Hay Tor and Saddle Tor in the background.

full

Just a stile, between Buckland and Welstor commons. I just liked the light.

full
Both lovely shots, Jan, but I particularly like the bottom one with the stile.

This is my last photo from Datmoor

Vixen Tor-08882.jpg

I got down to the moor 2 weeks ago.

High Willies looking south. I'm not 100% certain but it may be Fur Tor in the distance. Haven't been there in a long time - the Army always seem to be wanting to use the ranges when I think about going. It was the 2nd tor I ever went to on my first ever visit to Dartmoor when I was still at school. I could have sworn I still had my ancient map with the Fur Tor Queen of Dartmoor stamp on it (the map that didn't show Meldon Reservoir........) but unless I've really hidden it somewhere....... that qualifies for WAMT. Wish I hadn't looked now......

High Willies 210415 04.jpg

The engine shed of the Rowtor target railway, West Mil in the background

Rowtor target railway 210415 02.jpg

Pond on Black Down below West Mil Tor. The raised bank running beside it is the remnant of another target railway. I can't find anything about the pond - whether it is natural, man made or had any purpose other than a nice reedy pool. It would be nice to imagine bitterns booming here, but there aren't any. It is bigger than it looks here - it's just my low elevation even though I'm standing on the hard, it's only just above the water level.

West Mil pond 210415 01.jpg

I got down to the moor 2 weeks ago.

High Willies looking south. I'm not 100% certain but it may be Fur Tor in the distance. Haven't been there in a long time - the Army always seem to be wanting to use the ranges when I think about going. It was the 2nd tor I ever went to on my first ever visit to Dartmoor when I was still at school. I could have sworn I still had my ancient map with the Fur Tor Queen of Dartmoor stamp on it (the map that didn't show Meldon Reservoir........) but unless I've really hidden it somewhere....... that qualifies for WAMT. Wish I hadn't looked now......

View attachment 317724

I think the Tor in the distance is more likely Gt Kneeset which is slightly closer to High Willhays than Fur Tor but in a very similar direction but it is difficult to tell form the photo.

Possibly but from my recollection Great Kneeset isn't up to much - certainly not the extensive pile of Fur Tor which is recognisable from a long way off, and always seems a long way off. It's no accident that its name derives from the Celtic for 'Far Tower (Tor)' but you probably knew that. I have another walk planned that also takes in the Willies-Yes Tor ridge (Army permitting) so I'll try to remember to check.

Possibly but from my recollection Great Kneeset isn't up to much - certainly not the extensive pile of Fur Tor which is recognisable from a long way off, and always seems a long way off. It's no accident that its name derives from the Celtic for 'Far Tower (Tor)' but you probably knew that. I have another walk planned that also takes in the Willies-Yes Tor ridge (Army permitting) so I'll try to remember to check.
They never fire on Mondays nor during April and May July August and the first half of September on Okehampton which is where Yes Tor is. And never on weekends.

For any of you who shoot APSC cameras, which lens FL would you recommend please for general shooting on Dartmoor?

Off there in June for a few days; don't want to lug more kit than I need to!

For any of you who shoot APSC cameras, which lens FL would you recommend please for general shooting on Dartmoor?

On FF I use 16-35, 24-105 and sometimes 200. If I was restricted to one lens it would be the 24-105. Depends what you mean by general. You’ll need to convert for APSC.

Enjoy your trip.

A lot of my recent Dartmoor stuff has been done on Fuji X-T2 and the vast majority of my shots are with the 16-55. I find that with that combination I can have it out of the bag and shoot casually as shots present themselves. It really depends on what you are out for these days I am out scouting for shots to go back to with my Med Format film stuff so I'm routinely covering a lot of ground with specific target locations in mind. I also carry, but don't often use, the 10-24 and 50-140 (+ 1.4 converter) plus a tripod in a LowrPro Powder BP500AW which has loads of space for hiking essentials as well as the camera unit.

L1000915.JPG

Last edited:

18-200!

Sorry but I've used pretty much everything I've had for the moor and the 18-200 covers more than any other lens I have (and is a Dx [Nikon's APS-C] lens). If I had to go for a smaller range, then an 18-55/70 would be my choice, although I use my 18-135 on the Fuji as a walkabout rather than my 18-55 due to the extra flexibility.

18-200!

Sorry but I've used pretty much everything I've had for the moor and the 18-200 covers more than any other lens I have (and is a Dx [Nikon's APS-C] lens). If I had to go for a smaller range, then an 18-55/70 would be my choice, although I use my 18-135 on the Fuji as a walkabout rather than my 18-55 due to the extra flexibility.
I prefer the extra at the wide end but each to their own. I also value the weather sealing of the X-T2 and 16-55 (I know the 18-135 is WR) as we know how changeable the weather can be on Dartmoor.

So do I usually and if I was heading up on the Moor with the bag, the 10-24 would certainly be in there but if I was travelling light, it would be the 18-135 and hope that I didn't need the extra width (and if I did, I'd shoot 3 frames and stitch them.)

Dartmoor weather changeable? Only slightly!!!

Thanks for the suggestions re FL. Looks like wide to normal are recommended

If the outing is purely for landscapes, that's the way I'd go but if I wasn't planning an epic hike, I'd take a bag with an option or 2 just in case I spotted something that needed extra length.

Be aware that the light (as well as the weather) on the Moor can change in seconds, as I'm sure has been said further up the thread!

Be aware that the light (as well as the weather) on the Moor can change in seconds, as I'm sure has been said further up the thread!

Don't know what you mean, it's hot and sunny up here at the moment ;)

Back