South-West England Dartmoor Discussions

Very tempted to visit Blackchurch Rock on my next visit. Any recommendations for locations with waves breaking over rocks in the same area? Not Dartmoor but nearby.

I’m afraid I can’t help there. The only part of the coast I’ve been to in that area is BCR. I can say that I’ve had a look on google earth and lots of that coastline looks very interesting.

I’m afraid I can’t help there. The only part of the coast I’ve been to in that area is BCR. I can say that I’ve had a look on google earth and lots of that coastline looks very interesting.

Thanks. We are visiting the area in the next few weeks so I will research.

Last edited:
This is a useful thread to keep! I’m planning on doing a few days on Dartmoor bike packing over the summer so locations are useful to plan a route from!

Love the pony, Lee.
I can't remember which reservoir the peir is at either, without looking it up. It's a lovely walk round the lakes on the right day, isn't it. I've done it several times.
Thanks Jan.. I've been up there a number of times and I still can't tell which bit I'm on :LOL:

One from Haytor, and the other taken at Trenchford or Tottiford

View attachment 268136

It's neither I'm afraid, that is Kennick Teservoir :giggle:
The one you look down on from the dam at Kennick is Tottiford and Trenchford is further down the valley again. They are all worth visiting but Kennick is probably the most photogenic and for those with mobility problems provides plenty of views, both from the road/carpark and the level path along the south bank.
Not trying to be pedantic but thought worth correcting for anybody trying to find it for the first time ;)

The one you look down on from the dam at Kennick is Tottiford and Trenchford is further down the valley again. They are all worth visiting but Kennick is probably the most photogenic and for those with mobility problems provides plenty of views, both from the road/carpark and the level path along the south bank.
Not trying to be pedantic but thought worth correcting for anybody trying to find it for the first time ;)
Yep, clear as day on Google Maps street view.

Annotation 2020-02-09 145124.jpg

Yep, clear as day on Google Maps street view.

View attachment 268206
I've always parked just up the road from there, as I normally walk all 3 reservoirs...but I was sure Kennick was one of the other ones :LOL:

It's neither I'm afraid, that is Kennick Teservoir

You all beat me to it - just remembered to look at this one. Yes, definitely Kennick.
To anyone going to look at the reservoirs, and they are well worth it, just be aware that Kennick is a fishing lake and has no public access, unlike Tottiford and Trenchford which have a figure of eight walk round them. My partner fishes Kennick and isn't too amused by idiots ignoring the signs and walking behind him, even standing and watching, while he's casting. The lane lane runs right along the south side of it so plenty of photo opportunities there.

Anyone around over the next few weeks, fancy a meet up?

Yes away for a week from 23rd but free any other time

When the weather improves a bit and I can make it, I'll do my best.

Tomorrow I intend 'self isolating' on Dartmoor :):) if only for one day :(
A get together there would be good (big note to self - take tripod not 45L rucksack.........) but it might be as well to do it very soon or wait and see what happens
The weather forecast isn't great after tomorrow

Tomorrow I intend 'self isolating' on Dartmoor :):) if only for one day :(
A get together there would be good (big note to self - take tripod not 45L rucksack.........) but it might be as well to do it very soon or wait and see what happens
The weather forecast isn't great after tomorrow

I can't make tomorrow as i'm self isolating on a small brook on Exmoor, fishing for wild brown trout ;)

I think we'll need to postpone any meet up for the time being, for obvious reasons.

I think we'll need to postpone any meet up for the time being, for obvious reasons.

:plus1:
Had a great day there today - it was good for my soul and my mental state as well as good physically. Images to follow. Quite a few lumps of rock - you've been warned...............
It was also a deer day. One trotting through Soussons and two alongside the A38 on Haldon Hill on the way home. All reds. No photos......
Hope the fishing went well. My partner is a fluff flicker but mainly rainbows on the lakes.

Red deer? Never seen any reds on Haldon, just plenty of fallow.

Red deer? Never seen any reds on Haldon, just plenty of fallow.

Well you could be right and I could be wrong. I knew there are deer in Haldon Forest and assumed they were reds. I didn't see them very well. Obviously I was driving, though not that fast - not slogging up the south face of Haldon in a 22 year old Defender.......... but you'll know how other people drive up there, and it was dimpsy. They were both heads down grazing. They were both very dark, that was my overriding impression.
The one in Soussons was definitely red as I got a clear view of its bum and the pale V you see around the tail. I've seen them before on the moor side of Fernworthy - maybe the same herd that moves around. The three forests are close as the deer trots. I've seen a roe out on the open moor on Ter Hill above Skaur Gut but I think he was lost!

The fallow (or some of them at least!) on Haldon are very datk.

I know the slogging feeling well - not too bad in a 90 TDi but a real slog in an 88 Diesel!!!

The fallow (or some of them at least!) on Haldon are very datk.

I know the slogging feeling well - not too bad in a 90 TDi but a real slog in an 88 Diesel!!!

Fallow they probably were then
He's a 2.5 TD3 (98). A lot better than the 2.5 TD I used to have but he can only really shift himself downhill with a tail wind. Oh to have been able to afford a TD5 before they went out of production............... but basically I'm driving a house brick sideways.......:)

Reactions: Nod
I may take a trip up there tomorrow to try out my new camera, i'll see what the weather is looking like.

If you had to describe Dartmoor in one short sentence what would it be? Lump of rock and a pony should cover it..........

full

'Scuse the lens flare bottom left. I needed three hands - one to hold the camera, one to press the button and one as a lens hood extension. I looked and looked but could only find two ;)

If you had to describe Dartmoor in one short sentence what would it be? Lump of rock and a pony should cover it..........

'Scuse the lens flare bottom left. I needed three hands - one to hold the camera, one to press the button and one as a lens hood extension. I looked and looked but could only find two ;)

Use self timer, usually 2 seconds or 10 seconds, but gives you both hands free:

Nice image by the way, sums the moor up for me.

Use self timer, usually 2 seconds or 10 seconds, but gives you both hands free:

Yes, I have to confess I never thought of that (goes off to read manual on how to use it..........). I haven't used a camera's own self timer since the days of taking my own passport photos with the old 35mm Praktica, and that was just a clockwork thing.

Just read manual. Of course, it's that button, the one I kept forgetting to set a while back when taking my latest passport photos, when I kept pressing the button on the remote release and thinking 'why doesn't this ****** thing work?!' Doh! Now all I have to do is remember that the 10sec timer is labelled 'continuous'.
Thanks

Thanks for wasting time I'll never get back................. not that I'm doing anything stuck in Somerset and longing to get out on a hill............any hill............:(
At a guess - #1 Cox Roos Staple. Vixen in front of Staple? Kings Tor to the right?. #2 Kings left, Great Mis Little Mis. Not sure on the one to the right. Taken from? No idea. Somewhere south of there. I'm probably completely wrong...............
I'm desperate to get back down to Dartmoor. I was there a year ago this Tuesday knowing it was going to be my last for a while - a great walk but very bitter sweet. Then Boris unleashed us all just in time for the holiday season (funny that) when the masses descended and left chaos in their wake but anyway last summer was too hot for a long all day walk on the moor, plus when all the grockles come your way they gridlock all our roads. I got down once at the end of September and was coming down in November.......the day the lockdown-that-wasn't-a-lockdown started. I went to the Quantocks instead since then it was stay local not stay at home. Can't even do that now. The Police were initially staking out just about everywhere anyone might be tempted to go around here - don't know if they still are. Sick of the sight of the lanes round my village. I can do the miles but it's so boring, and my feet hate walking on tarmac. The fields are just muddy swamps.

Hoping for some riding weather once we're dropped down to the next level in a week or 2. Not sure I'll stop for long but it'll be good to get up on the Moor again.

Being Mother's day (or is it Mothers' day?), I'd normally have been up to Coombestone Tor where Mum and Dad are sprinkled. Hopefully won't be too long before we have some more freedom.

Thanks for wasting time I'll never get back................. not that I'm doing anything stuck in Somerset and longing to get out on a hill............any hill............:(
At a guess - #1 Cox Roos Staple. Vixen in front of Staple? Kings Tor to the right?. #2 Kings left, Great Mis Little Mis. Not sure on the one to the right. Taken from? No idea. Somewhere south of there. I'm probably completely wrong...............
I'm desperate to get back down to Dartmoor. I was there a year ago this Tuesday knowing it was going to be my last for a while - a great walk but very bitter sweet. Then Boris unleashed us all just in time for the holiday season (funny that) when the masses descended and left chaos in their wake but anyway last summer was too hot for a long all day walk on the moor, plus when all the grockles come your way they gridlock all our roads. I got down once at the end of September and was coming down in November.......the day the lockdown-that-wasn't-a-lockdown started. I went to the Quantocks instead since then it was stay local not stay at home. Can't even do that now. The Police were initially staking out just about everywhere anyone might be tempted to go around here - don't know if they still are. Sick of the sight of the lanes round my village. I can do the miles but it's so boring, and my feet hate walking on tarmac. The fields are just muddy swamps.
You're in the right area Jan, I'll name them tomorrow just in case anyone else wants a go.

This thread has gone quiet, I suppose because of the lockdown but here's one from yesterday, any takers to name the Tors?

View attachment 312021

Shot 2 again any takers to name the Tors?

View attachment 312022

The Tors then..............

Shot 1 L-R Cox Tor, Great/Middle Staple Tors and Pew Tor

Shot 2 L-R Staple Tor, Pew Tor, Great Mis Tor and Kings Tor

Close, as you said. I always think 'I recognise that view but where the hell is it?' I don't generally take this sort of wide shot so I don't have any references, only a gut feel which is difficult when you don't know the viewpoint. At first I was misled into thinking it was higher up the west side of the moor, Peter Tavy sort of direction, but the shape of the enclosed land below Cox Tor was the giveaway.
Not bad considering I haven't walked that particular area for 5 years though............ and now I'm really wishing I hadn't looked up that fact :( When 'normality' returns my poor old Defender will be almost living on the A30. If you see him parked up anywhere just say hello to him. He's rather unmissable.........

Arthur.jpg

He looks ridiculously clean in that photo - I don't know why. Must have rained hard on the way down.............
Name these tors is too easy.........

The Tors then..............

Shot 1 L-R Cox Tor, Great/Middle Staple Tors and Pew Tor

Shot 2 L-R Staple Tor, Pew Tor, Great Mis Tor and Kings Tor
Great staple Tor is such a distinctive one - bit far away to see the actually monolith outcrop though!

Back