Davidh6781 - Themed 52 - Week 27 - Art Page 12

Hi David.

Just been browsing through your 52 wondering how to comment on everything... I need to keep track of everything I comment on these days...

So I'll stick to the last shot and give a more detailed view rather than skimming lots of shots.

I like the composition and subject. That glassy-eyed-open-mouth look stays with 'em until they're teenagers at which point it gets worse - believe me.

The photo itself though has one flat gray tone running through it. The only real range of tones is in the shirt. I don't know what the colours were originally, but perhaps you could lift the subject a bit and make the background more separated. Does that make sense? I guess what I'm trying to say is that the face, the car seat and that strut on the RH side are all the same shade so it's difficult to pick the subject out.

Hope that helps and it's just my opinion. :)

Ian.

Maybe just a little more space on the right to 'stare' into and as Ian says maybe just a little flat.

UNUSED

colour version.

Your right one flat gray tone, didn't have any depth at all. if colour doesn't cut it then i will have to think again.

4539822243_5e7080aaab_m.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, David, I don't think it works. Not enough light or context.

Stare - Atempt two, i have one other idea, I have a funny feeling this week is an epic fail

Self Portrait.
4544262054_e59dd16d6b.jpg

Much better than your first shot Dave, which does look better in colour. Although that big stripe of car down the RH side spoils the shot whatever you do with it.

The self-portrait though is much better. Is it a crop? Always hard to position yourself in front of a camera and get the focus right.

Either way, the composition is spot on, you have a range of tones from black to white and the hard shadow works well with the expression. Much more thought into this and it's worked IMO.

(y)

Ian.

Cheers, the self portrait was taken at 180mm in macro mode teather to my laptop but yes its hard to get it focused, i must of taken a fair few to get it right lol. But fairly pleased with the outcome.

thank you

Much better than your first shot Dave, which does look better in colour. Although that big stripe of car down the RH side spoils the shot whatever you do with it.

The self-portrait though is much better. Is it a crop? Always hard to position yourself in front of a camera and get the focus right.

Either way, the composition is spot on, you have a range of tones from black to white and the hard shadow works well with the expression. Much more thought into this and it's worked IMO.

(y)

Ian.

I likey. Plenty of menace in those eyes and the light is bang on. Good work. (y)

Second image for stare is much better.

Very menacing. The low light works really well.

Not an epic fail at all.

Well done (y)

Andy

Not sure i'd class that as a fail David, unless of course thats not what you set out to achieve, i like the lighting around the eyes, it gives it the feel of a beat up boxer with black eyes. The contrast of the white against them works well too.

2nd stare is brilliant!! very moody, love the lighting

Thank you,

SO COOL!!! REALLY like it - menacing eyes ;)

this self portrait turned out better than expecting as mentioned above its hard to get focus right when looking at the camera and laptop. lol

Not sure i'd class that as a fail David, unless of course thats not what you set out to achieve, i like the lighting around the eyes, it gives it the feel of a beat up boxer with black eyes. The contrast of the white against them works well too.

The fail was regarding the black n white and the colour of my child. I rushed and the result was showing that.

But the self portrait turned out how i initially set out. thank you

Ah, now that one is much better David. The lighting is very dramatic.

The self portrait is definitely a HUGE improvement over the first one (y)

The contrast between those dark shadows and pure white eyes gives it massive impact and drama. At first glance I thought maybe it was a bit overdone, but it's grown on me and on a second (and third) look I definitely like it.

The composition works well too.
The combination of you being off centre in the frame and the angle of your head seems to add to the menace. The fact that only part of your face is visible adds some interest too. I'm wondering what's going on, what are you doing, who are you looking at?

Definitely not a fail at all in my book :clap:

Nice new image for Stare David, looks ery dramatic and the eyes are nicely detailed.

Only minor comment is it might be improved with a little straighten.

Well done

The self portrait is definitely a HUGE improvement over the first one (y)

The contrast between those dark shadows and pure white eyes gives it massive impact and drama. At first glance I thought maybe it was a bit overdone, but it's grown on me and on a second (and third) look I definitely like it.

The composition works well too.
The combination of you being off centre in the frame and the angle of your head seems to add to the menace. The fact that only part of your face is visible adds some interest too. I'm wondering what's going on, what are you doing, who are you looking at?

Definitely not a fail at all in my book :clap:

Thanks Sarah, Nothing was going on lol, i was watching TV lol. but was getting frustrated as focusings while looking at the laptop was hard work, some of them even though was focused when looking down wasn't when staring at the lens.

Nice new image for Stare David, looks ery dramatic and the eyes are nicely detailed.

Only minor comment is it might be improved with a little straighten.

Well done

thank you.

Not sure on the first one... but the second one has a huge and immediate impact... not sure it's stare... maybe more scare :eek:

Well three days late, my Peace picture, one of my dogs looking cheesed off with me and his eyes just say leave me in peace.

I wasn't feeling the "Peace" theme and was banging my head on a wall for ideas.

I may change this further down the 52 if an idea or opportunity comes about.

4581033746_4d6474acab.jpg

It's funny how there are quite a few 52's where the photographer has said "I'm not happy with..." and turn out an average shot.

I find that I'm critiquing shots now based on how good I know that photographer to be. Your thread is typical of this. With Stare, it was an average initial shot, but when you thought about it, and did another one, it was a very good shot.

In terms of theme, the "I've got it, now leave me in peace" thing works. I also like the composition even though the dog is central to the frame. It's nice and sharp too.

Let's hope you get to indulge yourself this week :)

Ian.

just doing an Average shot to me isn't good enough and will try hard to make it right.

Indulge will be far superior. ideas are coming to me.

cheers

My Indulgence. noticed these while walking past a stall in central Hull and instantly though nice reds. i will have some. bit of melted chocolate. hmmm

4585013452_a61f304b48.jpg

Large Version

Last edited:
Yum. Nice DoF and a very nice fading background which works well.

Not sure about the spoon, but that's being really picky. Maybe that in-focus strawberry with a bite out of it would have made it a bit more delicious looking, but these are just thoughts. The shot works fine as it is.

(y)

Ian.

thanks Ian, I did ponder about the spoon, i tried both and still have the pics without the spoon, but this took 1st place. when i compared side by side.

cheers

Definitely worth viewing this one larger (y)

On my screen the saturation on the red looks spot on, and I love the composition. The inclusion of the spoon really adds to it for me, but I think Allan is right about the end of the spoon just creeping into focus. Maybe if you'd pushed it just a little further back . . . but it certainly doesn't detract much from the image as it is.

Almost missed your peace shot, but that's definitely got the cute factor.
The expression on his face says it all.
I hope we get to see him again in the 52 - he's got the most amazing coat, lovely textures in there to photograph.

Yeah I like that.

Thought initially that you had selected too narrow DoF but on closer look the light catching the 2nd and especially 3rd strawberries help give more depth.

Quite like the spoon in the shot but feel it would benefit from being turned around.

i like the dof on this as it highlights the main focal point of the first strawberry, tricky one with the sats, the first strawberry looks ok but the one on the left does look a bit over cooked. The chocolate and the reflection in it look great.

Back