Dead R5?

I wonder how common this is; it has certainly stopped my plan to buy one. They don't have then in the "test drive" yet although I would be concerned about it failing when it was with me now. Please keep us in the loop and I hope the people that sold it to you do what they say they will do..

I think you have the right attitude here, you have only lost a couple of days of use, you will hopefully get your money back and even if you don't you are quids in still and have Canon 6 month warranty. I see that as a win. I think everyone buying an R5 understands there is an element of risk with the video side of things if you intend lengthy use. For still photography and video snippets there is nothing to worry about.

I think you have the right attitude here, you have only lost a couple of days of use, you will hopefully get your money back and even if you don't you are quids in still and have Canon 6 month warranty. I see that as a win. I think everyone buying an R5 understands there is an element of risk with the video side of things if you intend lengthy use. For still photography and video snippets there is nothing to worry about.
Yep, I felt sick when it first happened but when you sit down and think about it, it's not the end of the world.
For stills this camera is simply stunning, no doubt about it. I don't do video, just use it as a webcam for my day job, maybe I'll drop it down to HD rather than 4K.

I considered using my EM1 MKII as a webcam for work (Teams and Zoom).

In the end I just decided to get a Razer Kiyo which was £100 but is really really good.

Definitely a cam worth considering.

Full reimbursement of £527.28 received from E-Infinity, within minutes of sending them the payment receipt (y)

Great. That’s very reassuring.

That's pretty good service.... Certainly makes you think about how it could be any better!! ;)

No point buying another camera to use as a webcam when I have the R5 sat in front of me.
Well, I guess one point would be that you don't want to fry the motherboard again - unless they explain what the problem was and it definitely wasn't a heat issue. The cynical wee voice in my head says that they wouldn't tell you that if it were true sadly. Glad that your supplier has stepped up.

Pleased that after the disappointment of your camera failing, it all seems to have been sorted out as well as it could have been. Looking to get an R5 myself at some stage so hope your experience was very much in the minority. Will try and test drive one when they’re available, certainly seem to be a great bit of kit

Full reimbursement of £527.28 received from E-Infinity, within minutes of sending them the payment receipt (y)

Honestly, I much prefer this way. As opposed to send it to the retailer, who has to do admin and then send it off themselves. Which will take longer and also you don't know and can't control who they send it off to.

I wonder how common this is; it has certainly stopped my plan to buy one.
I sold my 5D MkIV earlier this year with the intention of buying one of the mirrorless Canons, however I shall now wait for either an updated second batch or a MkII.
Unfortunately it all sounds too much like the 5D MkII and 1D MkIII fiascos and I'd rather not take the risk.
For still photography and video snippets there is nothing to worry about.
There are some reports on the net of lock up occurring during prolonged stills shooting, ie motor sport.
Maybe true maybe not, as I said I'm not willing to take the risk just yet!

Honestly, I much prefer this way. As opposed to send it to the retailer, who has to do admin and then send it off themselves. Which will take longer and also you don't know and can't control who they send it off to.
Unlike canon's camera support my experience with Sony's support has been horrendous. So I have preferred to have it dealt by a decent retailer (LCE in my case)

Unlike canon's camera support my experience with Sony's support has been horrendous. So I have preferred to have it dealt by a decent retailer (LCE in my case)

They keep sending me emails offering free sensor cleaning during Covid...I ignored it. I rather do it myself. Who knows how long it takes!

They keep sending me emails offering free sensor cleaning during Covid...I ignored it. I rather do it myself. Who knows how long it takes!

I had two dealings with them (mind you this was 5-6 years back)
1. The hood on the FE35/2.8 is made of two parts which are glued together. It came apart and I wasn't the only one with the problem. I didn't want to glue it back myself simply because super glue and the like leaves a white residue and I didn't want that affecting the lens. Sony's support claimed that the part i.e. the hood I was talking about was not a "supported" accessory of the lens for manufacturing defects because it didn't appear on their lens' webpage. Either they are stupid or obtuse or whatever but they just couldn't understand that the hood came with the lens and hence should be part of the warranty like the lens. Also they failed to acknowledge that the hood even existed!! How could their webpage be wrong!!?? It's was like talking to the receptionist from little Britain - " computer says no"

2. My lens was decentered. Emailed them, they asked me to call, I called them, they asked me to call a different number, who then told me just mail it to Sony in Pencoed with the receipt. I nearly did but decided to call them because it seemed odd to just mail the lens, Sony Pencoed said I can't just mail it to them, they gave me another number. At which point I gave up and emailed LCE, who sorted it out no problem and we exchanged exactly two emails!!

So my experience with Sony hasn't been great in fact I'd go as far as saying their warranty is worthless and non-existant.

Last edited:

This sort of experience was actually a major factor in me sticking with Canon when I wavered a while back. Canon aren't perfect but they've always been better to me than Nikon ever was. I found Fuji's support to be excellent, though.

If this is becomes quite common I wonder if canon will admit and do a recall.

Thanks for sharing your experience Paul.

Whilst a bit worrying it’s reassuring how efficient Canon UK and E-Infinity have been. It’s a huge endorsement of both.

I agree with your comment entirely that buyers in the UK have been forced to go ‘grey’ due to lack of supplies here.

Before I bought my R5 I spoke to several ‘pro’ users who had really worked their cameras hard for many hours over a few months with no issues, They had very early copies of the camera so hopefully there’s not a widespread problem and you were just unlucky.

My previous 5DSR had a serious fault on purchase which Canon fixed under warranty so these things can happen to any body.

Glad you’re all sorted. Hope it now proves super reliable.

Recall? What have I missed here? So far as I know, it's one person who's had a problem. No need to panic surely?

Recall? What have I missed here? So far as I know, it's one person who's had a problem. No need to panic surely?
3 people - OP, a friend of mine and a friend of one other forum member who commented on this thread.
Also another forum member commented he's noticed a few reports on Facebook too about it.

Personally I'd be less concerned if this was a cheaper body but for a £4.2K body I am slightly concerned to spend my own money on it. Not that I could afford £4.2k on a single body anyway.

Last edited:
@gmpix I had an issue with a MacBook pro - 5 (free) motherboard replacements later they replaced the Macbook for me. I had paid extra for the 3 year warranty if I remember rightly. It was a pain at the time, but it was replaced with a better machine 1TB SSD which was the nearest to my 750GB HD plus everything else equal or better. There was a recall on that model then, even for ones out of warranty, so if there's a gotcha you might be okay. It has kept going faultlessly now for 5 years, but I do use it on a tray with a fan when I'm processing photos to keep it cooler.

@Hanley keep us updated. I have just bought a grey R5 and love it so far.
Hi, how are you finding the R5....just waiting for mine.....are you using it with any ef lenses...?

Interesting. I hadn’t heard of this. Usually if There’s even a small number of people affected the internet blows up. Maybe it will in the next few months.

I agree that an expensive camera like this should be pretty much bulletproof or at least perform as advertised. Mind you it wouldn’t be the first flawed flagship from a major manufacturer.

Out of interest would the sale of goods act not cover purchasers for 6 years on this sort of thing?

At any rate, I’m sure we will all keep an eye on developments

No idea about the sales of good act and how that'd work with grey import on top.

I agree there have been flagships with issues and Canon is generally good with support. So it's not a huge issue per say at long as you have good warranty cover. But as far as I know there no option of more than one year warranty with canon?
Is there something like apple care+ or Sony's extended warranty card you can pay extra to have?
Unless you buy from panamoz for example who provide warranty cover like e-infinity does but for 3 years.

Last edited:
Hi, how are you finding the R5....just waiting for mine.....are you using it with any ef lenses...?

I’m loving it so far - have used it on birds in flight (100-400 ii ef lens works great) and also with flash (and 24-105 rf lens) for some pics for local paper. Latter were group images and I tried the eye-af, but reverted to usual focusing. There are some settings you can tweak so it hangs on to one eye for longer, that I’ve now changed, but at the time I felt under pressure so it was easier to go back to what I know. I’m still trying to get used to it.

There is a thread specific to R cameras if you’re interested.

the worrying part is what it will do to used S/H values once the word gets out .. its fine for the original purchasers as it appears to have been sorted .. but what about Fred blogs 18 months down the line buying a used one

i already passed on a grey R5+ 24-105/4 + 85mm/2 for £3K.
just wasn't comfortable buying it even though it was a very nice deal.

the worrying part is what it will do to used S/H values once the word gets out .. its fine for the original purchasers as it appears to have been sorted .. but what about Fred blogs 18 months down the line buying a used one
It's hardly a secret that the R5 over heats. It's been all over the internet. To their credit they have gone some way to addressing the problem. As for any second hand sales I'm sure people will look into the pros and cons the same as buying a new camera and may decide it's not an issue.

It's hardly a secret that the R5 over heats. It's been all over the internet. To their credit they have gone some way to addressing the problem. As for any second hand sales I'm sure people will look into the pros and cons the same as buying a new camera and may decide it's not an issue.
yes those that are informed and knowledgable will be cautious I thinking more along the lines of . I wanna be a photographer and this must be good cos it costs over 4k new .they do exist and we all know the type .. the ones that buy a faulty item and then moan about it all over faceberk

its not about the overheating and that's not the issue here. many cameras have overheated in the past and many camera probably will in the future. but rarely has that bricked your camera or fried your motherboard because camera's cutoff before that can happen.

Though in this case we do not know what's caused the same issue for OP. and a few others we know. could have been overheating, could have been something else and it doesn't matter.

Apart from these 4 unfortunate people, has there been another case, worldwide, reported? I certainly haven't heard of it and in this age of e-gossip it's usually the sort of thing that causes widespread panic and page after page of doom and gloom on every single photography forum and youtube hack video . I'm guessing that it's not unusual for an odd faulty board to get shipped with any camera. Canon will fix them without fuss as they have done in this case in a couple of days, and that will be that.

Of course in an ideal world it wouldn't happen but it is inevitable that it will from time to time. It isn't the sort of thing that people buying an 18 month old camera will worry about . Stuff like this usually fails early on in a product's life and used buyers probably won't care. Of course if it does become a major and real issue, then it's the ones who bought new who will suffer as resale values might theoretically then reduce but we're projecting a fair bit here. I'm confident Canon would take care of any issue as it arose.

It seems to me we're a long, long.long way away from that at the moment and currently. I really can't muster up the energy to manufacture some concern. If it actually does become an issue I have no doubt we will hear about it relentlessly and with full internet outrage. In the meantime I reckon we can relax, enjoy the R5 if you have it, and buy it if you want it.

Last edited:
Apart from these 4 unfortunate people, has there been another case, worldwide, reported?
A user on Canon Rumors described his experience shooting only stills at a Motorcross event. According to him, the camera overheated even without shooting any video.

"You get 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, if you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an R5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the EF to RF adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out".

Yes I know it was 86deg. but it's still a problem.

Last edited:
Back