DeBrito's PHOTO 52 2011

i had a lucky day with weather on tuesday just hadnt had time to post anything
here is my broken sea defences at spurn point

sorry a little hdr but i think not ott and just really to bring out the the detail in the timber (y)
DSC06961_58_59_60_tonemappedcopy.jpg

i have a few others which are better composition but i do like this one

Last edited:
The HDR looks fine and I like the colours and composition. It's a pleasing image.

However, I'm thinking....
- it needs a crop off the bottom to remove some of the sand. I see it has detail, but I feel there is too much sand, just above your watermark may be enough.
- I also think a crop from the top too just below the cloud on the right.
- it needs a slight rotation CCW

The HDR looks fine and I like the colours and composition. It's a pleasing image.

- it needs a crop off the bottom to remove some of the sand. I see it has detail, but I feel there is too much sand, just above your watermark may be enough.

:agree:

Hiya Paul

Neil has very much summed up what I thought when I viewed the photo.

It is a lovely photo though and fits the theme spot on (y)

A nice find and glad the weather was good for you too. It is clear blue sky here today, for a change .... so going off camping for the rest of the weekend (just hope the weather stays as it is now).

Cheers

Dawn :)

+1 Neils thoughts cover mine also. Shame that the second post has been chopped, looks like you have framed to get the lighthouse on a third at the expense of the post. But the broken fence is the point of the shot so priority should be given to it.
HDR is subtle and well done, detail in the sand is fantastic.

HIya Paul, a lovely photograph and very fitting for the theme and I like the hdr processing. All the critique has been covered, so I don't need to add anything else there. (y)

+1 Neils thoughts cover mine also. Shame that the second post has been chopped, looks like you have framed to get the lighthouse on a third at the expense of the post. But the broken fence is the point of the shot so priority should be given to it.
HDR is subtle and well done, detail in the sand is fantastic.

:agree:

Hiya Paul

Neil has very much summed up what I thought when I viewed the photo.

It is a lovely photo though and fits the theme spot on (y)

A nice find and glad the weather was good for you too. It is clear blue sky here today, for a change .... so going off camping for the rest of the weekend (just hope the weather stays as it is now).

Cheers

thanks
i agree with what you said about to much sand but them i thought there's was too much sky once i had cropped it see what you think
DSC06961_58_59_60_tonemappedcopycopy.jpg

I much prefer that shot to fit the theme Paul. A crop on the left to leave only 3 posts and maybe try to burn in the blown part of the sky would be my only suggestions. Looks like you had a productive day at the beach.

First thing I noticed was the lower part...bit too much sand. Crop works better but I'd like to see a tad more space on the left. The HDR is quite subtle...(y)

I suspect you could have got much closer to the near post, which has loads of character.

I like your b&w hidden and thought I'd already commented...

First twisted is well on theme and well spotted.

Hiya Paul,

Have to say I like your crop of the first ... much better (y)

But .... your second shot posted takes the cake for me .... I love that and prefer it as it is (not too keen on the the suggested edit .... sorry Andy). Reason being that I think the two posts to the right frame the lighthouse well.

Cheers

Ooff, you know, I didn't notice the frame.....:shake:

Not to worry Andy .... we all see things through different eyes :D Hence why we are here to help each other ;)

I can see where you were coming from with your edit, however with the subject being as it is and the texture I can see why Paul used them in his image.

Both are great though.

D (y)

I saw Andy's crop on his flickr and wondered what the 'NOT MINE' was in the file name - now I know!

I'm still with the first, but cropping below the top right cloud as well as the bottom, as you've done; it's the worn post that does it for me.

The second image is good and I like that too, but I'me with Colin - lose the left hand post. The HDR starts to stand out on the line of the sand dune too, but as with the first image it's not over done.
I also don't like the shadows, which, if I'm reading the image right, are off your flash? I say flash as the sun appears to be blowing out the sky in the background (which is also a shame) so I'm guessing two light sources.

It certainly looks a nice place though, is it local to you?

I saw Andy's crop on his flickr and wondered what the 'NOT MINE' was in the file name - now I know!

I'm still with the first, but cropping below the top right cloud as well as the bottom, as you've done; it's the worn post that does it for me.

The second image is good and I like that too, but I'me with Colin - lose the left hand post. The HDR starts to stand out on the line of the sand dune too, but as with the first image it's not over done.
I also don't like the shadows, which, if I'm reading the image right, are off your flash? I say flash as the sun appears to be blowing out the sky in the background (which is also a shame) so I'm guessing two light sources.

It certainly looks a nice place though, is it local to you?

Thanks for comments no its about 90 mime away from me it spurn point (near hull) great place to visit i took this last year !
allonsitenov2010ebay8.jpg
i just wish i had another chance i would take a tripod and do a few things differently

No ! no flash was used
But thank you

The shadows are off the sun then!
Strange how the sky has blown where it has as the sun appears to be low and behind you.

I'm not a fan of the 2nd image, but the location looks great.
Spurn Point near Hull you say - I feel a trip in the motorhome coming on!

Great set of shots which really appeal. I won't go over the crit others have offered.

The HDR in the orginal is very subtle and doesn't detract at all. The cropped version is better.

Very nice 52 you have going here. (y)

I love the second pic for broken, fabulous. As Dawn mentioned, the framed lighthouse works brilliantly. The HDR is superb IMO and I dont mind the bit of blown sky at all, there are times when a photo will contain pure white or pure black and a little is acceptable. Lovely shot.

Hi

Maybe its me but I just dont get the need for the HDR on those costal shots at all for broken... I think a nice B and W conversion would have been better. Although it must just be me as no one else has mentioned it...

As others have suggested crops could improve them slightly but what is more important when you take a pic is not what you can crop out but what you need to get in the image in the first place. With landscapes I tend to always go a bit wider or include more in that I can crop later... I'd never have left that post in your first shot half in and half out... but that said I know sometimes it's not to you get back home you notice as your mind can sometimes get preocupied with exposure or effects when shooting landscapes you forget the simple composition effects.

Your first pic would have been better in landscape to include the post and less sky and sand and your second would have been better cropping the fourth post out.

Great work though...

Mark

Hi

Maybe its me but I just dont get the need for the HDR on those costal shots at all for broken... I think a nice B and W conversion would have been better. Although it must just be me as no one else has mentioned it...

As others have suggested crops could improve them slightly but what is more important when you take a pic is not what you can crop out but what you need to get in the image in the first place. With landscapes I tend to always go a bit wider or include more in that I can crop later... I'd never have left that post in your first shot half in and half out... but that said I know sometimes it's not to you get back home you notice as your mind can sometimes get preocupied with exposure or effects when shooting landscapes you forget the simple composition effects.

Your first pic would have been better in landscape to include the post and less sky and sand and your second would have been better cropping the fourth post out.

Great work though...

Mark
yes i do like what you had to say it's true your always pre occupied with other things i always rush to get the shot thinking ill miss it and forget about all the other stuff (y)

Hi Paul, the beach can be a great opportunity can't it?. I rather like your first image and agree that a landscape shot with less sand and sky would be better. Instead of HDR I probably would have increased the contrast. Did you try that? I like the gentle tones and much prefer it to your second posting. I'm not sure I'm too fussed about the disappearing post at all.

Hi Paul

Your 1st image for Twisted...the downwards view is just wonderful...love the ODF , the angle , the colors & the detail :clap:

& your 2nd image for Broken is , for me at least , simply stunning :clap:Great detail in the sky , lovely colors & great framing of the light house..well done (y) I also like the 1st shot posted for Broken , mainly for the detail in the sand , the cropped version being the better of the 2 for me.

Well done you (y)

Hi

Great work though...

Mark

yes i do like what you had to say it's true your always pre occupied with other things i always rush to get the shot thinking ill miss it and forget about all the other stuff (y)

Hi Paul, the beach can be a great opportunity can't it?. I rather like your first image and agree that a landscape shot with less sand and sky would be better. Instead of HDR I probably would have increased the contrast. Did you try that? I like the gentle tones and much prefer it to your second posting. I'm not sure I'm too fussed about the disappearing post at all.

Nice psychedelic affair going on with your latest photograph - looks like a stunning location to photograph.

Cheers.

Hi Paul

Your 1st image for Twisted...the downwards view is just wonderful...love the ODF , the angle , the colors & the detail :clap:

& your 2nd image for Broken is , for me at least , simply stunning :clap:Great detail in the sky , lovely colors & great framing of the light house..well done (y) I also like the 1st shot posted for Broken , mainly for the detail in the sand , the cropped version being the better of the 2 for me.

Well done you (y)

thanks for all your comments it really does help to get to know what people like
thanks again

thanks for all your comments it really does help to get to know what people like
thanks again

All critique is always valid as we all see things in a different way. The important thing to not lose sight of though is who you are taking pictures for. If the pictures are for yourself then the only person that matters is you. If you like the image it's good, simple as that. When edits and improvements are suggested try them out but if it doesn't improve the image in your eyes then don't change it for the sake of it or for the sake of fitting "the rules"

If you are taking pictures for a client though it's a different story.

Yes I suppose your right, one should never lose sight of that ? After all that's what its all about

there's also this one which i think works
DSC07737_6_tonemappedcopycopy.jpg

Hi Paul, really like this image, love the processing on it. Excellent!

Thanks for comments no its about 90 mime away from me it spurn point (near hull) great place to visit i took this last year !
i just wish i had another chance i would take a tripod and do a few things differently

Now this one :D, as soon as I saw it, I thought to myself I really like that! There's something about it I like. :clap:(y)

Wow Paul,

This is a stunning photo and could well pass as your 'bright' photo for this week :D

Cheers

Well done dawn yes im going to use it for bright lol truth be know computers playing up so not able to do much pp so its going to be my bright i know its a bit of a cheat but looks like im formatting hard drive so

Hiya Paul,

Sorry to hear you are having computer problems, I know about that as last week I was having problems with my netbook (still not fixed but at least I have sorted a work around in the meantime).

I am glad you decided to use this image as your 'bright' photo .... as I said before it is stunning and right on theme.

It looks like a painting and I would be well pleased with this photo if it were mine and it would definitely be famed and hanging on the wall.

The colours in the photo are my favourite and those clouds are just fantastic!

Well done and I hope you get your computer fixed soon.

Cheers

thanks dawn just trying to get all files in order and install all programmes after formatting its a pain but at least i haven't lost anything (y)

Big Warning HDR BIG STYLE a bit heavy to say the least

Rescue

Please rescue this building
DSC07875_4_tonemappedcopy.jpg

i promise ill stop soon!!! going on hols on thursday so i might not get chance to do sensual, ill will try though

hi paul... that seriously looks like its been drawn rather than taken as an image, then hand coloured with pencils....its good..but not my cuppa, probably because i can't find the time to try out HDR? maybe...

defo in need of rescuing..

Some real potential there. Looks like you've gone straight to 'Grunge' mode in Photomatix?

I'm a fan of HDR, subtle, but this aint subtle...:puke:

I'd like to see a subtle B&W conversion of the origional.

I'd also be tempted to get in close as the door looks a bit odd in a cenral location.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hiya Paul,

I actually really like this. I've not done much HDR, but can appreciate taking a photograph and turning it into art ... which I think you have done very well here.

You have taken an image and turned it into a pencil drawing ... and I like that (y)

The colours are great and the whole image tells a story or abandonment and a place that is definitely in need of rescue. I especially like the bits of graffiti on the walls and would have like to have seen more of the right of the frame.

Personally I think you have done a great job here (y)

Cheers

Back