DeBrito's PHOTO 52 2011

Really nice shot Paul, as Andy said it would be nice to get a bit more detail in the darker areas

Hi.
I really like the shot and I would have gone for the same subject if I had some turbines locally.

I wondered how it might look as an HDR and took the liberty. I really hope you don't mind. If you do, just let me know and I can take it down immediately.

I think it brightens up the darker areas a bit...

Jonathan

debritopower_tonemapped.jpg

no don't mind at all i have done hdr one already but i done some hdr for other themes so i wonted to go away from hdr however i do like you edit
(y)

week 19 divided
tryied out a old 135mm 2.8 manual my late uncle gave me still need a bit of work although i like the range
divided.jpg

Hiya Paul,

Omg, that brings back memories of my chainsaw days :LOL: Cutting and stacking the logs ... not an easy task.

A good image and bang on theme.

I take it this an old film pic ...... so do I sense a bit of cheating here :p

Regardless, if you can work your magic on it that would be ace! (all part and parcel of the learning).

Cheers

Dawn :)

Omg, that brings back memories of my chainsaw days :LOL: Cutting and stacking the logs ... not an easy task.

oops..my bad.. all i thought of was the monty python song... :naughty:

i like the take on the theme though.. how better divided than this set.. (y)

Thanks for reply
Did anyone spot the spider there's loads in my garden this year don't know what's going on I spotted the logs at side of barbaque and member chopping them up lol

Thanks for reply
Did anyone spot the spider there's loads in my garden this year don't know what's going on I spotted the logs at side of barbaque and member chopping them up lol

Hiya Paul,

Ahhh, I didn't spot the spider at first, but now that you mention it .... yep it is there.

Cheers

Love your Power shot... the motion on the windmills is just perfect... Im not sure about your second edit version... and I think your original would look better in a b and w conversion... with a bit of brightening and contrast boost!

Promise

I promise i would get my boy a new bike i think he has used this one too much(y)
twisted-1.jpg

only think im not happy with is the motion on the weeds as it was very windy today

Hiya Paul,

I had to chuckle at your promise thought process and in a way like the photo too. I'll explain the latter comment.....

I tried my hand at HDR processing, twice before (which if I'm not mistaken you applied here, either that or a tad heavy saturation). For me, I like HDR to be a bit OTT .... I don't see the point in applying it otherwise, so in that respect I like what you have done here.

My only concern is that I think you have missed the focus on the tricycle as it seems to be more on the right-hand wall. That could have been due to camera settings .... did you by any chance have it set to a program mode and auto focus? sorry I haven't checked out the EXIF details.

This image though has got me thinking as to what could have caused this .... perhaps because the weeds were moving and so close to the tricycle, the camera AF would have been hunting for a more stable focal point, hence the right wall focus.

My other observation is about the roof .... I can see why you included it for the contrasting effect and to give the image a sense of position, but feel the light filtering through is a tad over exposed. Which for me doesn't work with the processing. Perhaps cropping the image to exclude the roof would work :shrug:

I like photos like this because it challenges me to think about the reasons behind why things have happened to produce an end result.

If you don't mind me asking .... do you have RAW image/s you can send me via PM or email so I can have a play, for my own learning experience? I have found this photo quite interesting and would love to find something similar to have a go.

Cheers

Thank you for your comments ,well to be honest I thought I was in manual I have been tying to focus in manual and camera on manual as well but I'm not sure if it was on ! I have been trying to do it but I think I'm finding it a little difficult to nail
In not quite sure how to check what the setting ?

And as for the cropping I thought that about the roof too but then I thought it lacked interest I post as soon as I get home I really need to shoot in raw but I still haven't got my head round that yet it takes so much time

Thank you again for you comments its is very helpfull and drive me on
Please fell free to have a play
What I do now is always take 3 shoots now 0.7 and even sometimes 6

Having read you post again dawn I'm going to go back to re shoot I think pos Thursday! can you give me any settings I need , ill go for the same spot ! Once I know how to checked the exif ,I then possibly no what's going wrong I hope with some help from you I hope ?

No sorry I don't have flicker !
I do have PhotoShop cs3 do you know where it is on that

thank you all again had another go but with diffirent image i think i like this one better
DSC04880_78_79_tonemapped.jpg

You can down load an EXIF viewer for free, do a search on TP and I'm sure you'll find a recommended web site.

Your latest shot............
I don't like the PP finish on it, but the location looks great and with a different PP this could be a good moody picture
Now it could be the building, but it looks like there is a slope to the right.

Thanks for you input its only way I learn by getting it wrong and people saying its not right ,to be honest I have started to think more about pp instead of the basics , but hey a least you have made me realize thank you again

Oh well i final got it well i think i have
Hidden

im really pleased with these shots if fact i think its my best yet( Bold statement)

i know its hdr but i cant seem to stop doing it !:help:
1st up b/w

TheHiddenMessage.jpg

2nd
DSC06057_6_tonemappedcopy.jpg

and no 3
DSC06061_59_60_tonemappedcopy.jpg

Hi mate... I find them a bit dreamy.... I think the photo would be better if they where much sharper with higher contrast and prob in B and W.

A bit like Neil... I dont get the hidden connection?

I prefer the colour versions, but how do they relate to 'Hidden'?

#2 has a big distracting white patch in the sky on the right.

yes i wish i could of toned the white bit down

the hidden is the graffiti
" a hidden statement "
thanks for your comments (y)

Hi mate... I find them a bit dreamy.... I think the photo would be better if they where much sharper with higher contrast and prob in B and W.

A bit like Neil... I dont get the hidden connection?

the hidden is the graffiti
" a hidden statement "
thanks for your comments (y)

Hiya Paul,

Great take on the theme ....

I have looked at these photos a few times since you posted ... and there is something missing .... :thinking:

First of all I think the b&w is the closest to being right .... although it is missing a bit of level adjustment.

The colour versions are missing some punch! I did a quick edit on them last night and re-visited same today and still feel my edits work better. It is difficult to put into words what I did, because I basically played around with the levels to bring out more of the subject ... which seems a bit hazy in your pics .... and also capture some of the fantastic detail in the moody sky .... which is amazing.

Have to agree though, with previous comment, the first 2 have a very OE bit of sky which is a pity, but perhaps with a bit of pp filter that could be reduced.

Overall though, for me ... I love these shots and I like how you have taken it a step further to do HDR.

I love graffiti and it is a subject I have taken many photos of as it is in abundance round here.

Well done and I think you have done well with these.

Cheers

Hiya Paul,

Great take on the theme ....

I have looked at these photos a few times since you posted ... and there is something missing .... :thinking:

First of all I think the b&w is the closest to being right .... although it is missing a bit of level adjustment.

The colour versions are missing some punch! I did a quick edit on them last night and re-visited same today and still feel my edits work better. It is difficult to put into words what I did, because I basically played around with the levels to bring out more of the subject ... which seems a bit hazy in your pics .... and also capture some of the fantastic detail in the moody sky .... which is amazing.

Have to agree though, with previous comment, the first 2 have a very OE bit of sky which is a pity, but perhaps with a bit of pp filter that could be reduced.

Overall though, for me ... I love these shots and I like how you have taken it a step further to do HDR.

I love graffiti and it is a subject I have taken many photos of as it is in abundance round here.

Well done and I think you have done well with these.

Cheers

thanks dawn really good to here your comments they really do inspire me, i wish i could be more forthcoming with my posts as your detail is spot on every time i just wish i had enough time do what you do ,you seem to take a lot of time to not just look but look and comment on all of our efforts which i think is very selfless i thank you again :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Been looking around for something twisted for days and on way back home i saw this fern........... in my garden lol
DSC06351.jpg

i have a another view (side on)but it looks like a a sea horse lol
DSC06478.jpg

im just glad im not doing hdr lol (y)

thanks dawn really good to here your comments they really do inspire me, i wish i could be more forthcoming with my posts as your detail is spot on every time i just wish i had enough time do what you do ,you seem to take a lot of time to not just look but look and comment on all of our efforts which i think is very selfless i thank you again :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hiya Paul,

You are welcome ..... after all it is all part of my own learning experience. Viewing each members contribution, and the critique and comments to same all provide me with knowledge to learn more about photography ;)

I am dedicated to this project .... and at the start made it my mission to see it through to the end. Believe me it is tough at times, but hey that is all part of the learning.

And is photos like yours that inspire me and make me realise that 'creativity' and exploration of different techniques is fine.

You have produced some excellent shots throughout your photo52 and I always look forward to seeing what you come up with each week. As you say ... you are finding your comfort zone with HDR ... and that is an area I would like to explore more .... so I always look to your images for inspiration as they are subtle .... not OTT as some can be .... and I like that.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Hiya Paul,

BTW, I love your take on the hidden theme ... that was one of my ideas, as I have a lovely fern frond in the garden at the moment.

Interestingly, ferns are a not a good thing to have in the garden, according to Feng Shui ... they are negative energy, but hey ho .... I think they are gorgeous plants and have always had them either in the house or garden.

I thing the way you have photographed them has really hit the theme. Well done :clap:

Cheers

Hiya Paul, I like your photo's for hidden, the black and white version takes top spot for me. But I do still like the 2 colour versions. You seem to do very well with your version of hdr processing. Well done (y) Nice one for twisted, if anything I would do a closer crop of the twisted part of the fern in number 1. (y)

It would be nice if you had a face slightly in the doorway...hidden??

HDR is a tad overdone, I feel and they're a bit noisy.

I agree the b&w does look a bit dreamy and I do like this one.

Great catch with your first twisted!

Cheers.

Back