Digital Medium Format Thread

Am I going to buy one?? Jurys still out, the current offer is very tempting and I'm unlikely to loose £££ on the lens, but it is very big and unweildy, and its not really a range of focal length that I 'see', so if I had one I'm not sure I'd use it that much.
I feel the same about this lens but decided that the 100-200 might be better for some longer landscapes compared to the 45-100 that I like to use. Also thought it might be better for macro with the 18mm extension ring, ..... mistake on my part! Ended up buying the 120mm macro that is a brilliant lens and much more useable than the extension ring + 45-100 or 100-200.

It felt a bit bigger than that - possible as the lens mount is much larger than typical FF

Yes I used it tripod mounted on a collar

Offset by it's slower though - but yes the mount is larger. Odlly with the 645z the lenses, bar the 28-45, are pretty small and lightweight. They're not fast but the mount is huge - but that gives it more stability and robustness.

Today I went to Oulton Park, armed with a GFX50S and a bunch of completely unsuitable lenses, my longest native focal length is the GF63mm!! So most of the day I used a Canon FD135mm, manual focus, etc. Because you can get quite close at Oulton, the cars were large in the field of view, though my panning technique leaves a lot to be desired. :ROFLMAO: I didn't shoot in burst (haha 3fps), but just a single shot each pan, needless to say I've already deleted over half of the images that I took!

This image is cropped to 16:9 but is still the full width of the GFX sensor, the FD135mm actually covers the whole of the GFX sensor well.

220709 GT Championship - Oulton Park - Lamborghini by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Last edited:
And final image post for today:-

The Porsche Club UK was in attendance yesterday with loads of recent (lardy) 911's, my pick of the bunch was a lovely 1967 912 and an original Rubystone 1992 964RS, though given the choice I would have probably taken these and 996 RUF (as a daily driver!)

220709 Porsche 912 - Oulton Park by David Yeoman, on Flickr

220709 Rubystone Porsche 964RS - Oulton Park by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I've only posted these to make @trevorbray rethink his camera choices :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Stop it. It’s working..

Don’t care. I’m out with H2s and 35f1.4. Having a wonderful time...

Been busy with the GFX in the last 10 days, shot 3 family graduations (My Son - Degree, Step-Daughter - Masters and Step-Son - PhD), used just the GFX and GF63mm, it didn't miss a beat and focused fast and really sharp images, probably too sharp for portraits! Since these are family they will remain private, so I'll treat you to another Porsche!

Porsche 964 RS3.8 - Oulton Park by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Probably not an original - likely to be a replica

Last edited:
Been busy with the GFX in the last 10 days, shot 3 family graduations (My Son - Degree, Step-Daughter - Masters and Step-Son - PhD), used just the GFX and GF63mm, it didn't miss a beat and focused fast and really sharp images, probably too sharp for portraits! Since these are family they will remain private, so I'll treat you to another Porsche!

Porsche 964 RS3.8 - Oulton Park by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Probably not an original - likely to be a replica
David. Have you any close ups using the 63 wide open ??

@trevorbray - the 63mm doesn't focus that close, but here are some wide open shots taken at close to that distance. These are uncropped images - though smaller for web use!

FIQEODp.jpg

obviously wobbled when I pressed the shutter!

JZQ1Mnp.jpg

wil6Cve.jpg

Last edited:
Back