Digital Medium Format Thread

Coz I can’t afford to reinvest...

You'll be back at some point, once seen can't be unseen and all that, but the X-H2S suits your current photo requirements of fast moving dogs/children so enjoy it. The bikes with their detail shots will still be there when you do want to go back to Medium Format, in the meantime you are doing great work with the XF35mm F1.4.

The GFX is proper hard work at times, especially panning (single shot), my son was with me on Saturday with his EOS-R, using burst mode and a slower paning speed than me, he had a lot more panning keepers.

Its all a case of having the right tool for the task in hand, and living with the compromises/shortfalls.

What are people's thoughts on the 100-200? The short to medium tele lengths matter immensely to me and centre to edge sharpness is of the most paramount importance - what's the thoughts here.

I've only used mine on one day in anger so far, I'm back in Wales again on Saturday, so will take it with me, am happy to send over a couple of RAWs for you to look at. Generally though it reviews well.

I've only used mine on one day in anger so far, I'm back in Wales again on Saturday, so will take it with me, am happy to send over a couple of RAWs for you to look at. Generally though it reviews well.

That would be good - if you can send via we transfer

Info (at) SFTphotography (dot) co (dot) uk

If possible stopped down a bit, so I can see the corners and edges.

That would be good - if you can send via we transfer

Info (at) SFTphotography (dot) co (dot) uk

If possible stopped down a bit, so I can see the corners and edges.

Steve

I've cocked up, I have a seies of images at different apertures (taken on a tripod) but I think the OIS might have been on! Also they are only at one focxal length. Give me a couple of days and I'll take some sets here locally at different apertures and different focal lengths and send them over.

@Mr Perceptive

That's a very impressive performance on the lens being honest and I'd be delighted to have that in my kitbag to the point that it has now put a GFX100s right on the radar again. Especially given the price of this lens and the 45-100. The only thing holding me back is money, as I would really want 2 identical bodies, the 100-200, the 45-100 and some sort of wide lens, either the new 20-35 zoom being touted, or a nice 23 and 30mm prime combo.

Feelings. Pretty impressive wide open at 5.6 - but I'd stop down to F8 to F11 for best balance of overall sharpness and shading balancing although I would shoot that at 5.6 if need be.

It's certainly better at its short to middle end but most long len's slightly fall off in performance at their very very longest. I would imagine anything from 100-185/190mm is excellent on that.

Brass tacks is that it's been optimized for wider apertures as it performs unusually well at its widest F stop. A real surprise given its modest price tag and overall I wasn't expecting such demonstratable excellence. It comprehensively outclasses the Pentax 80-160 and I feel is the a match for the omnipotent 70-200 2.8 FL ED I run on the D850 - except maybe at the very longest end but it's just over half the price of that lens. OK you would lose some effective field of view reach...but....I think with playing with aspect ratio's I could make it work.

You definitely need to clean your sensor though. I ran the F16 one on DXO labs -microcontrast 100 and exposure -1.5 ev. Really good way to see the state of the sensor. One of my absolute fears of mirrorless camera's is sensor dirt, although the 645z with it's non sealed older zooms is no angel for it and it really hacks me off - with the 28-45 really none gets in, and the same more or less with the D850 and the 2.8 70-2002.8 and 24-70 2.8.

Do you change the lens's a lot, how often do you clean it? Also - is the 100-200 an extending barrel design, or is it an internal zoom? Extending lens barrel zooms wind me up big time - really because they are a source of these dust bunnies.

Last edited:
@Mr Perceptive

That's a very impressive performance on the lens being honest and I'd be delighted to have that in my kitbag to the point that it has now put a GFX100s right on the radar again. Especially given the price of this lens and the 45-100. The only thing holding me back is money, as I would really want 2 identical bodies, the 100-200, the 45-100 and some sort of wide lens, either the new 20-35 zoom being touted, or a nice 23 and 30mm prime combo.

Feelings. Pretty impressive wide open at 5.6 - but I'd stop down to F8 to F11 for best balance of overall sharpness and shading balancing although I would shoot that at 5.6 if need be.

It's certainly better at its short to middle end but most long len's slightly fall off in performance at their very very longest. I would imagine anything from 100-185/190mm is excellent on that.

Brass tacks is that it's been optimized for wider apertures as it performs unusually well at its widest F stop. A real surprise given its modest price tag and overall I wasn't expecting such demonstratable excellence. It comprehensively outclasses the Pentax 80-160 and I feel is the a match for the omnipotent 70-200 2.8 FL ED I run on the D850 - except maybe at the very longest end but it's just over half the price of that lens. OK you would lose some effective field of view reach...but....I think with playing with aspect ratio's I could make it work.

You definitely need to clean your sensor though. I ran the F16 one on DXO labs -microcontrast 100 and exposure -1.5 ev. Really good way to see the state of the sensor. One of my absolute fears of mirrorless camera's is sensor dirt, although the 645z with it's non sealed older zooms is no angel for it and it really hacks me off - with the 28-45 really none gets in, and the same more or less with the D850 and the 2.8 70-2002.8 and 24-70 2.8.

Do you change the lens's a lot, how often do you clean it? Also - is the 100-200 an extending barrel design, or is it an internal zoom? Extending lens barrel zooms wind me up big time - really because they are a source of these dust bunnies.

The 100-200 is an internal zoom (not extending)

Yes I change lenses a lot (penalty for having a bag of primes), last two trips out have been windy environments so I’m not surprised and it was on my list of things to do - job for tomorrow!!

Generally though it’s not a dust magnet - I’ve owned this body since last Oct/Nov and only cleaned once so far, so 2-3 times a year is ok in my book

Last edited:
Back