Digital Medium Format Thread

The 50s fiiles are smaller than your Sony - they're only 8256x6192 and yours is 9504 x 6336 ( I think) so it'll handle them better.

The 100s files are 11648 x 8736 so on their short side they are longer than a D850/645z/GFX50 is long. In a 4:3 crop in portrait on a GFX100s you'll get a bigger file than a 4:3 crop in a landscape from a A7R4. Incredible. That said, your camera has more resolution than my camera and I don't feel lacking.

Mac Studio will be fine - and your photography is only as good as the weakest link in your system be that you, your camera, your lenses, your tripod, your computer, even your car.

Re 200mm 35mm equivalent, you can get there with a GFX but there's an expensive 250mm prime. The three zooms get you to 16-164mm equivalent losing 28-35mm equivalent. Not perfect, but workable.

I will upgrade to this, but when I am unsure. I want to relocate to Spain so have more pressing commitments.
Much appreciated, Steve ;)
It would be primarily for landscape so the 200mm would be a luxury more than a necessity so I could well do without that focal length.
Computer is definitely the weakest link so I think that's my money will go first ;)

David, when you hand-holg your GFX do you leave the tilt adapter on? The exif on the flikr shot says 1/13 sec.

Usually yes, as I like (at the moment) a closer to ground shot than my head (I'm 6ft1in) allows, so I often have the tiltable EVF vertical and I'm bent over loooking into it. I hate using the rear screen for composition and will always use the EVF if I can. It probably marks me out as a weirdo (especially at places like Oulton Park) but I just don't care :D

And 1/13th was an exception, I try to get at least 1/50th handheld, but occassionally I can fluke something very low speed. With the X100F this is easier as it has a leaf shutter. (In this situation IBIS would have helped, there was a breeze which is why I didn't go for a longer exposure, I didn't want movement in the grasses in front of the truck.

Usually yes, as I like (at the moment) a closer to ground shot than my head (I'm 6ft1in) allows, so I often have the tiltable EVF vertical and I'm bent over loooking into it. I hate using the rear screen for composition and will always use the EVF if I can. It probably marks me out as a weirdo (especially at places like Oulton Park) but I just don't care :D

And 1/13th was an exception, I try to get at least 1/50th handheld, but occassionally I can fluke something very low speed. With the X100F this is easier as it has a leaf shutter. (In this situation IBIS would have helped, there was a breeze which is why I didn't go for a longer exposure, I didn't want movement in the grasses in front of the truck.
;)

man-looking-into-a-nickelodeon-film-machine-B32YWT.jpg

church crookham as in near fleet?

aha church crookham, not crookham church :D yes near fleet.. i had planned to go elsewhere but couldn't find a way in, and ended up here

there was also a bull with horns, but i didn't stick around for photos..

Last edited:
aha church crookham, not crookham church :D yes near fleet.. i had planned to go elsewhere but couldn't find a way in, and ended up here
know it well, we have family there. lovely pics as always! wish you a happy new year and lots of fun projects in 2023!

I really love these. The colours are wonderful.

thanks, I was wondering about going back to take more photos - but there was a bull with large horns, and I've just been reading about the danger of it all.. and now I'm a little less inclined

just for fun here is a blend of all the new year fireworks here from about 11:30 to 01:00. The pic gives an impression of the chaos, people bring armfulls of fireworks and simply set them off in the street in addition to main display.

insta_Stackv3.jpg

When I do a long exposure on my 50s using T I should see a countdown of the time but all I see is "back - cancel". What do I need to change please?

Last edited:
When I do a long exposure on my 50s using T I should see a countdown of the time but all I see is "back - cancel". What do I need to change please?
What a puzzle.... don't have 50s, do have 50R and 100. I see the timer in T for long exposure. I've had a look at all the menu options and it's not at all obvious. If you have not customised settings too much, maybe try a factory reset?

Going to keep using Phocus to process the HB files, not keen on how clunky the crop/straighten tool is (can't seem to hold shift to maintain ratio, can't rotate the crop without using level tools)

but i like the colour and how it handles sharpness

dogtp_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Back