Digitising cine film

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve had a search through the forum but can only find threads that are a few years old. I’m going through my dads estate and have found two exposed reels of cine film in 3 inch cassettes - has anyone used any of the online digitising services over the last year or so? I’m half tempted to buy a cine projector - but for just the two reels it’s probably not worth it.

I’ve had a search through the forum but can only find threads that are a few years old. I’m going through my dads estate and have found two exposed reels of cine film in 3 inch cassettes - has anyone used any of the online digitising services over the last year or so? I’m half tempted to buy a cine projector - but for just the two reels it’s probably not worth it.
If you’re happy for them to be filmed off a projector screen rather than telecined I can do it for you if you’re in no great rush.

If you’re happy for them to be filmed off a projector screen rather than telecined I can do it for you if you’re in no great rush.
That's a very kind offer - but I wouldn't want to take up your time - I'm not an expert when it comes to quality - would I see a big difference from it being recorded on a projector screen versus whatever machine they use for direct transfer?

That's a very kind offer - but I wouldn't want to take up your time - I'm not an expert when it comes to quality - would I see a big difference from it being recorded on a projector screen versus whatever machine they use for direct transfer?
It can be significantly better depending on the quality of the kit used but if you’d just like to see what’s on the the reels I’m more than happy to film them off the screen, it’s really not a problem, it will give me an excuse to set up the projector.

My grandfather died leaving 6 reels of film. I bought a Chinon 2000GL from Ebay, at the time it cost me under £20 posted. If it was £100 I would have paid it, memories like that are priceless. Where abouts are you Chris ?

It can be significantly better depending on the quality of the kit used but if you’d just like to see what’s on the the reels I’m more than happy to film them off the screen, it’s really not a problem, it will give me an excuse to set up the projector.
I'm just hoping now there's nothing rude on there :p (I don't expect there will be though - I do remember him using the cine camera once or twice on outings when I was very young)

My grandfather died leaving 6 reels of film. I bought a Chinon 2000GL from Ebay, at the time it cost me under £20 posted. If it was £100 I would have paid it, memories like that are priceless. Where abouts are you Chris ?
It hadn't actually crossed my mind that I could get a projector and film it myself - and then sell the projector again. Nick's made an amazing offer above (and it's very tempting) but also it's tempting to actually find a projector and have a go myself for the fun of it.

It hadn't actually crossed my mind that I could get a projector and film it myself - and then sell the projector again. Nick's made an amazing offer above (and it's very tempting) but also it's tempting to actually find a projector and have a go myself for the fun of it.
There is something rather wonderful watching old home movies projected in your own home, if you havent got a screen any white wall will be fine.

As you said you could always pick one up and sell it it once you've used it.

There is something rather wonderful watching old home movies projected in your own home, if you havent got a screen any white wall will be fine.

As you said you could always pick one up and sell it it once you've used it.
I'm clearing my dad's estate at the moment - but this discussion has given me the idea to have a go myself. I really appreciate your offer - but I think I'll have a go and see what happens! Now to see what's on my local marketplace - do all cine projectors show all films? Or is it like film cameras - you need one for 35mm, 126 etc?

I'm clearing my dad's estate at the moment - but this discussion has given me the idea to have a go myself. I really appreciate your offer - but I think I'll have a go and see what happens! Now to see what's on my local marketplace - do all cine projectors show all films? Or is it like film cameras - you need one for 35mm, 126 etc?
A lot of projectors can take both standard 8 and Super 8 but if you’ve got 16mm or even 9.5mm you’ll need a different projector.
if you’re not sure if you’ve got 8mm or Super 8 have a look here. https://currentpixel.com/articles/film-transfer/difference-between-8mm-super-8-film/
Most projectors will display on the side whether they can play both types.
Like this Eumig https://cabinetofobsoletemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/UCL201740_super8_projector_b.jpg1617625327842.jpeg

First things first then is to identify the film - I'l dig out the rolls and see what I've got!

I've come here after searching the forum to find out the same thing after a friend asked me yesterday.

My brother has all our old reels of family film, so it may also be useful to me! I know my Dad used super 8 at one time, but also a different film. I used to love family film nights :)

I think Reflecta sell a film digitising unit... I kept coming across it on fleabay when I was researching the Proscan 10T. Not cheap, though.

I think Reflecta sell a film digitising unit... I kept coming across it on fleabay when I was researching the Proscan 10T. Not cheap, though.
At the moment I'm going cheap :) to see what's on there.

Here’s a close up of the beginning of one of my reels - I can see the houses in the street I grew up in before 1979 - so I’ve now got an idea of when they were made - now to work out if they are 8mm or super 8... any expert opinions ?
892CCF88-0EC6-4280-8D8D-82A218116B6C.jpeg

Looks like Standard 8 but best to measure just to make sure.
35269AFB-AE89-47D3-97CF-2D0535DC97F8.jpeg

Back