Dive,dive,dive

Are you the op in this thread?

on a couple of days yes

Looks like i might have opened a can of worms, was just really wanting to know if it efectes the birds as im fairly new to this and the more info i have maybe i will get better (y)

Really!

Ok then, I get crucified on this forum for "controlling" mink, I do this to protect waterfowl, including Kingfishers, the land I work on is private and we have two Kingfisher nesting sites, these are kept between three of us, so that idiots don`t come and use flash. If you think it does not bother the birds, let me shove a SB600 3 feet from your eyes and fire it.

Licensed or not, you are wrong to be doing what you are doing. I see otters leaving a holt, in deep dark woodland, do I use flash? NO. Because there are not enough of them about and I don`t want to upset them, that is how it goes, tough luck for me.

Hey, but i don`t care for wildlife, the townies have told me so.

Why 40mm on a protected species? Assuming flash.

40mm - Whats the problem with that?? The camera will more than likely have been set up, and remotely fired from a hide..the KF doesn't give a damn if its a camera or a shopping trolley in the river....

If it was fired locally, then some impressive camo must have been used, but again, so long as the bird wasn't disturbed then there is no problem as far as I can see....and bearing in mind it is fishing, it is evidently happy.

Flash - I think a member on here, and possibly Wild About Britain, actually has some photos of a KF leaving it's nest hole (which is in the shot! Licensed to do so...) which used flash, which leads me to think flash doesn't affect them to any significant level.

I'm not saying it is good to do so, I am no professional wildlife person....but the consensus seems it is ok...and does them no harm??

Phil :)

Last edited:
Really!

Ok then, I get crucified on this forum for "controlling" mink, I do this to protect waterfowl, including Kingfishers, the land I work on is private and we have two Kingfisher nesting sites, these are kept between three of us, so that idiots don`t come and use flash. If you think it does not bother the birds, let me shove a SB600 3 feet from your eyes and fire it.

Licensed or not, you are wrong to be doing what you are doing. I see otters leaving a holt, in deep dark woodland, do I use flash? NO. Because there are not enough of them about and I don`t want to upset them, that is how it goes, tough luck for me.

Hey, but i don`t care for wildlife, the townies have told me so.

what you getting at

Ok, let me shoot a flash in your face at that range?

That be Ok? Or do you think it might be a tad OTT?

Ok, let me shoot a flash in your face at that range?

That be Ok? Or do you think it might be a tad OTT?

Until he has explained his setup...leave the debating!! The flash could have been fired off camera from 10m away...who knows?!

The fact the water in the background isn't obviously lit by the flash, I doubt it would have been on a significant output power too.....so 3 SB800s seems a bit unfair to me!

Edit - Ok you said an SB600 and 3ft....my mistake! :)

Last edited:
Until he has explained his setup...leave the debating!! The flash could have been fired off camera from 10m away...who knows?!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah ,course it has.............:LOL:

No "Sensitive Wildlife" should be shot with flash, if you can`t take the shot without it, then hard luck.

Nobody should be shooting protected species with flash.

IMO.

Proof of what?

Let me shove a SB600 next to you, fire it in your eyes and then you tell me it does not **** you off?

:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
comment removed .. missed a page :exit:

Last edited:
Proof of what?

Let me shove a SB600 next to you, fire it in your eyes and then you tell me it does not **** you off?

:shrug:

Well like I said, going from the picture, it would be on a low output, and probably fired off camera......

........so I'd be more than happy for you to stand 10ft away and fire it as I run past in my best lycra and gym shoes :p

Well like I said, going from the picture, it would be on a low output, and probably fired off camera......

........so I'd be more than happy for you to stand 10ft away and fire it as I run past in my best lycra and gym shoes :p

"Best Lycra".................methinks not............:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Keep the comments to the photo.

If anyone wants to discuss the morals of using flash when shooting wildlife, take it to your own thread.

Keep the comments to the photo.

If anyone wants to discuss the morals of using flash when shooting wildlife, take it to your own thread.

Not with you there mate?

A photo of a protected species has been taken using flash,again, a few of us are discussing the rights and wrongs of it in the same thread..............:shrug:

Or should I just STFU?..................:D

This thread is about the photo itself...not the merits of using flash when shooting wildlife.....

So lets keep the dicussion in this thread about the photo itself please :)

I`ll STFU then...............:LOL:

It seems that there are one or two people on here that really dont know what they are talking about. Firstly you only need a license to shoot Kingfishers during nesting. As I stated the shots I took were earlier this year going back to October last year. Just out of interest although not needed for these shots, I do have a permit.
Regarding the flash, Dont let any body tell you that you can a obtain a sharp shot of a Kingfisher diving using LOW iso and ambient lighting. This bird was shot using flash at greatly reduced power and exposed to exclude any ambient light source. The reduced power output acted as a high speed shutter. At one time there was FIVE flash guns to expose the shots. The bird was not bothered at all and would dive on numerous occasions from the same perch. In fact the biggest problem was stopping the bird from perching and diving from the flash guns themselves, thats how bothered the bird was.
Now if any of you would like me to continue posting and hopefully you can pick up a tip or two then let me know otherwise I'm sure that I wont miss posting here.
Oh and for Fracsters information they flashes were SB800s.....

Last edited:
It seems that there are one or two people on here that really dont know what they are talking about. Firstly you only need a license to shoot Kingfishers during nesting. As I stated the shots I took were earlier this year going back to October last year. Just out of interest although not needed for these shots, I do have a permit.
Regarding the flash, Dont let any body tell you that you can a obtain a sharp shot of a Kingfisher diving using LOW iso and ambient lighting. This bird was shot using flash at greatly reduced power and exposed to exclude any ambient light source. The reduced power output acted as a high speed shutter. At one time there was FIVE flash guns to expose the shots. The bird was not bothered at all and would dive on numerous occasions from the same perch. In fact the biggest problem was stopping the bird from perching and diving from the flash guns themselves, thats how bothered the bird was.
Now if any of you would like me to continue posting and hopefully you can pick up a tip or two then let me know otherwise I'm sure that I wont miss posting here.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my ?

Don`t give a damn one way or the other.

And the difference is? By blinding the buggers a tad more.Cat 1 license or not, perhaps a bit more respect to endangered wildlife would not go amiss

Back