Dive,dive,dive

Really!

Ok then, I get crucified on this forum for "controlling" mink, I do this to protect waterfowl, including Kingfishers, the land I work on is private and we have two Kingfisher nesting sites, these are kept between three of us, so that idiots don`t come and use flash. If you think it does not bother the birds, let me shove a SB600 3 feet from your eyes and fire it.

Licensed or not, you are wrong to be doing what you are doing. I see otters leaving a holt, in deep dark woodland, do I use flash? NO. Because there are not enough of them about and I don`t want to upset them, that is how it goes, tough luck for me.

Hey, but i don`t care for wildlife, the townies have told me so.

Talk about ****ing on someones parade :D

I am absolutely certain he meant no harm, and its news to me too! I would not have thought twice about approaching a Kingfisher if it allowed me to. Does not make me a bad person, just ignorant to the rules.

Way to go mate :)

Gary.

Jeez Gary, you can phot KF`s anywhere you want, except near nests at breeding times,I didn`t know that until Jo told me.

My problem is with using flash to do so.

Jeez Gary, you can phot KF`s anywhere you want, except near nests at breeding times,I didn`t know that until Jo told me.

My problem is with using flash to do so.

Its not something I would have even considered, I mean - it just would never occur to me. It might be wrong, but I just feel you could have worded your "assault" a little better :D It was a bit full on :)

Gary.

Seems to be a lot of Kingfisher posts at the moment so I thought I would add one of mine.
One from a series of Kingfisher in flight shots that I took earlier this year.
_D2X0364sml.jpg

Awesome shot, and I for one would like to say that you will be hard pushed to find a friendlier forum than this. Sometimes a thread gets a bit heated, as is the case here, but trust me, this is a rareity.

Gary.

Assault?........I was being nice............:shrug:

Assault?........I was being nice............:shrug:

Maybe I have my wires crossed :D Who kicked the guys ass for using a flash at 40mm? :D

Man I should keep out of forum fights!...

Im just gonna munch some :popcorn:

I don`t kick ass Gary.

I simply made some points and asked some questions over the interwebby thing, as I would do person to person if the occasion arose.

I don`t kick ass Gary.

I simply made some points and asked some questions over the interwebby thing, as I would do person to person if the occasion arose.

Without even knowing me you made "some points" including insinuating that I was an "idiot" for using flash. A very friendly welcome to give a new poster.

well this thread degenerated nicely didnt it. There is a thread discussing flash and wildlife somewhere else, go and post in that one if you want to talk about the ying and yang of it, if you want to talk about the photo this is the place.

Without even knowing me you made "some points" including insinuating that I was an "idiot" for using flash. A very friendly welcome to give a new poster.

Oh I am sorry, did you not get the cuddly warm, look at me and my fantastic photo that you wanted?

Yes, in my opinion you should not be using flash on protected species, that is my opinion, not law, nor is it right or wrong, it is simply my opinion, if you disagree, then fair enough, it ain`t the end of the world,is it?

Oh I am sorry, did you not get the cuddly warm, look at me and my fantastic photo that you wanted?

Yes, in my opinion you should not be using flash on protected species, that is my opinion, not law, nor is it right or wrong, it is simply my opinion, if you disagree, then fair enough, it ain`t the end of the world,is it?

One thing for sure, I dont need ANYONE to be cuddly and warm with me (Demi Moore excluded) and yes you are entitled to your opinion on an image but when it comes to insinuating to me and other members of this forum that I am an idiot then its not as you put it "fair enough"

According to the top of the forum page. "We're the friendliest forum on the internet, so we promise to make you feel very welcome." ????????

According to the top of the forum page. "We're the friendliest forum on the internet, so we promise to make you feel very welcome." ????????

Tis true, I promise, this is a rarity :D And is she not a bit past it?

Gary.

Demi Moore? Not even your five flash guns could make her sweet.

One thing for sure, I dont need ANYONE to be cuddly and warm with me (Demi Moore excluded) and yes you are entitled to your opinion on an image but when it comes to insinuating to me and other members of this forum that I am an idiot then its not as you put it "fair enough"

Stick around mate, you are an awesome photographer who clearly knows what he's doing.
We really area friendly bunch, and sometimes debates like this are good to have. Don't be put off because you are the OP, normally it's a row because of licence issues.

i for one would love to see more of your shots.(y)

Jeez. Is it REALLY that hard to say "Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. I was concerned about the welfare of the wildlife, and maybe I came across as rude and harsh".

I'm sick of people jumping in with rude posts and sitting on the 'It's only my opinion' excuse.

If you don't have anything polite to say...don't say it.

Jeez. Is it REALLY that hard to say "Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. I was concerned about the welfare of the wildlife, and maybe I came across as rude and harsh".

I'm sick of people jumping in with rude posts and sitting on the 'It's only my opinion' excuse.

:clap::agree::clap:

It is not an excuse, it is a fact Marcel. I do not need to hide behind anything, thanks all the same.

If being honest is construed as rude and harsh , then I ain`t apologising for being that way in this "lets not say what we really mean" world.

This debate has brought up some different points of view and different opinions for some people to think about, as has the other thread,it has certainly made me have a rethink.

That is healthy for any forum, is it not?

:)

I understand it's your opinion, and you are welcome to your opinion and encouraged to express it.

But at the right time / place, and more importantly, politely.
I understand you have your concerns, but to insinuate that a newcomer was an idiot for using flash is just plain rude and unnecessary, regardless of whether it's 'your opinion'.

The OP has a point, we pride ourselves on being friendly, yet he ends up on the receiving end of rude comments like that? That isn't healthy for any forum, and certainly not this one.

It only takes a minute to think how a post is going to be read, and possibly reword it in a more polite and gentlemanly way.

>neck wound in<

Fair comment Marcel.

You see Fracster, what was wrong with this is that you're the first to get out of yer pram when uninformed people take a kneejerk stance over the culling of Foxes and Mink, when you've done exactly the same thing here. A few minutes spent on Google doing a little research before coming out all guns blazing would have avoied all this hassle. ;)

As for climbing over Demi Moore - half a chance and you'd be like a rat up a pump! :naughty:

Sorry,disagree CT.

No "Sensitive Wildlife" should be shot with flash, if you can`t take the shot without it, then hard luck.

Nobody should be shooting protected species with flash.

IMO.

yes because flash is a major cause of protected species being killed

amazing shot

Taking bets on when thread gets closed...

What you willing to wager guys?? :)

Gary.

I've already said keep the discussion of this topic to another thread. This is for discussing the shot.

I've already asked politely, it's been ignored.

Superb shot mate!

I've already said keep the discussion of this topic to another thread. This is for discussing the shot.

I never said a word:) But I am watching events very closely;)

personally i love the shot!
keep out the crap and probably a miod could do with shifting all the fash talk to another thread and tiding this one up!

got to agree its a realy top draw pic

can you post some more please...

Not by me,Signor...........(y)

This is one of the, if not the most amazing shot that I have viewed on this forum.

Great debate and very interesting.

The shot is absolutely brilliant, one of the most stunning shots I have seen.

Nice one.

Back