Do any of you go out with your phone only to do photography ?

No if I don't want to carry my dslr with me I take my Sony rx100 mk 1
This fits in a pocket so I don't see any reason to use a phone to take photos
The image quality from the little Sony is excellent way better than I can get with my phone especially in low light

No, certainly not for any considered photographic undertaking. But, for the simply joy of taking pictures and sharing them on-line, the phone is perfect. A great piece of kit. And you CAN make great images, the caveat being as long as you work within its limitations and don't look too closely. Or intend to make exhibition prints. (the exception to this being when the image content overrides any 'quality' issues) I sometimes go for a walk with just the phone and I'm always looking for pictures to take and I'm often quite happy with the results. But sometimes I kick myself for not having a real camera to hand. An example is this shot taken with an old iPhone 6. Nice enough, but could have been so much better... ggrrrrr

Lines by Peter Davidson, on Flickr

Used to do it a lot at work, but I didn't like the results - which were passed to customers - so manager allowed me to use his own D40.

I have a Land-Rover branded brick. Apparently you can park a cement truck on it; drop it down a well, and it's battery is supposed to out-live me.
My daughter called it the "Potatoe" When she found the camera function. I think she was being complimentary!
I tend to stick one of the XA2 film cameras in my pocket if we're going anywhere and I don't take an SLR, widgetal or mechanical.
I think the potato has taken about four shots since I got the thing half a decade ago; two of them just to see if it worked!

I have a Land-Rover branded brick. Apparently you can park a cement truck on it; drop it down a well, and it's battery is supposed to out-live me.

I'm not so sure that would be anything but marketing spiel as even the highest quality battery can't circumvent the facts of chemistry. The battery will have a finite number of charge cycles and after that it will degrade, even the best batteries only last for around 1000 charge/discharge cycles before suffering significant degradation.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that would be anything but marketing spiel as even the highest quality battery can't circumvent the facts of chemistry. The battery will have a finite number of charge cycles and after that it will degrade, even the best batteries only last for around 1000 charge/discharge cycles before suffering significant degradation.
It's more the number of weeks the thing is supposed to be able to 'last' in stand-by, without bleeping at me to tell me to stick it on charge, rather than how many years use it might survive.

Was actually a significant sales feature for me buying it, given how oft I put the old one down with my keys, then had some-one banging on the door yelling "Why dont you ever answer your bludy PHONE!", followed by a flury of smart-phone swiping, and "I Cant Hear it!" and tornado of scattered mail, and dining condiments, as they try and find where I might have dumped it, concluding with "I dont know, now.. I've forgot" when I ask, "What did you want me for anyway?" as the notion that they have come round, and can actually talk to me face to face, and they don't actually NEED a telephone (if they ever did!, given most likely is my next-door-but-one neighbour, we can usually hear yelling at the dog three counties away!), causes a mental aberration... in the idea of actually NOT using a telephone to talk to some-one! Hey, that Neighbor? Yes, not only does she use phone to talk to her kids in the bedroom from the kitchen, she even uses it to talk, well, txt them across the ruddy living room!!!

No, the camera on my phones sucks - well, it's ok for bright outdoors [Xiamoi Redmi Note 3 pro] - but I would never intentionally head out to take picture with just that. I would guaranteed be raging I didn't bring my camera. Atm I use M43 camera and lenses, so they are tidy enough to fit in a small messenger bag when I plan to at least take some photos. It's not going to break my back having a small camera and lens with me. Some phones these days are bigger than mirrorless cameras! they're ridiculous looking and they still can't come anywhere close to even cheap old compacts

Never, not even sure how to work it, only used for occasional calls and a few texts.
Just got a m4/3 camera to drop in my rucksack so even more unlikely to ever use a phone.

Tried to find how the camera on my tablet worked, all of a sudden my horrible boat race appeared on the screen.
Put me off ever trying that again, makes me wonder why anyone would ever want to take a picture of themselves.
Seems odd to ruin a photo of a nice building or scenery by placing a distorted head in the picture.
Is it just prove or show off they were there?

Last edited:
Seems odd to ruin a photo of a nice building or scenery by placing a distorted head in the picture.
Is it just prove or show off they were there?

I had a bit of a rant about this the other day.
Historically everyone’s one roll of film from their holiday was full of ‘here’s me and George in front of Blackpool tower, this is us at the Guggenheim’ etc...
now these are done as ‘selfies’ and everywhere, just because they can.

It’s barely an evolution from what went before.

Some of my ‘audience’ thought it equally weird that I’d want a picture of ‘landmark’ without it containing a family member because millions of photos of whatever landmark already exist. They didn’t understand the personal pride of me having created the image.

ATEOTD there’s no right or wrong, we all use our cameras for whatever gives us pleasure.

I find that my phone can take a good image (Huawei P20 Pro) but the colours are far too saturated for my liking. But, the camera on the phone is OK with a 'Pro' mode for going 'manual' (not quite sure how good that is as I haven't used it). I do use it to pre visualise a shot sometimes as the view on the screen is much clearer than the small lcd on the back of my D7100.

I used to carry a compact camera but I've got out of the habit and keep meaning to start again. At least a phone is usually in my pocket but I've never had one with a decent camera so I very rarely use it for photos.

My Mrs has a decent phone for taking pictures and videos with and they look nice on screen and she shares them with family and friends and my only complaint is the amount of perspective distortion in some of her pictures but no one else seems to notice this. Another thing is that some of her phone pictures look great on her phone or tablet but when I look at them on my pc sometimes they don't look anywhere near as good. Even so the quality that's possible will be better than a lot of pictures I took with my compact film cameras and also than some taken with older digital compacts.

I have thought about getting a better phone just for the better camera but I'm tight :D and will probably wait until my current phone dies. Yet another problem is I much prefer to look through a VF with the camera to my face rather than use a screen at arm or half arm length.

Last edited:
Yet another problem is I much prefer to look through a VF with the camera to my face rather than use a screen at arm or half arm length.

That's one of my "problems" too. Not only do I prefer a real viewfinder but I also need one when I'm wearing my contact lenses - the dioptre adjustment lets me see what I'm shooting properly!

shot on my iphone....

13063100_482042175319668_8509093496482439706_o.jpg

a little bit later, shot on my Nikon

43000822234_eb69ac17c4_b.jpg

Back