Donna Nook

theres an easy asnwer to that - take two bodies ;)

hmmm i could borrow my dads if he doesnt want to come

Bodies..... Nope I wont. Bit like shooting fish in a barrel with a gattling gun :)

if you read the site, it gets pretty messy, so I wouldn't want to be carrying two bodies/lenses in the sand and rain.

If it's just cloudy then it's not too bad I don't think (flash is really beneficial as I found today ;))

If it's raining, then you really have to be hardcore to go out there. No cover, and with it being exposed beach...it's quite windy, so it'll be driving rain.

If the weather is clear, you'll all have an ace day....with Pork and stuffing barms from the butty van for £2.50 when you're done. (And a cuppa tea is 80p)...although if I go I'm taking a flask this time...Getting there first thing before everyone and not having a brew before setting off really put me on a downer...lol

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like it pretty much requires a long lens of reasonable quality - or indeed a long lens at all. Something I don't have.

I also think I'd get bored quite quickly just shooting seals!

Was only talking about this today!

Really enjoyed last years outing. Need to see who is up for it this end but definitely interested. No doubt pictures will be a bit samey but feels like it is worth going again just to look!

As to lenses - I started off last year with the 100-400 but ended the day with 28-75mm and got equally good shots. You can walk up to them as close as you dare. Pups on thier own don't care about you much and mums with pups soon let you know if you are getting too close.

It is a long walk though somehow it is a lot longer coming back than going out :)

Think I'd base my final decision on going on the weather report ;)

I might be up for this not too far away for me, will check with the boss regarding the dates, but either would be OK I think.

Hoodi mate. You don't need a long lens.

People have gotten away with using their nifty fifties before now, but apparently it can be frowned upon by some (some say that's too close).

I was using my 70-300 today, mainly at the wider end. The majority of my shots were in the 100's and I really didn't have the inclination to make much of an effort to get close, but I could have done....(I was cold and had a cold...lol)

Honestly, take my advice.

TAKE THE RIGHT CLOTHING!! I can tell you what its like not having the right clothing, from first hand experience :eek:

EDIT: Ta Rob :D

don8.jpg

That's me. :(

I'll bring a baseball bat if I come...
I know a very good recipe for Baby Seal...

You could go clubbing afterwards too ;) :exit:

Walking boots and waterproofs at the ready. Looking forward to it, hope that I can make it.

I'm gonna say 3rd of december, my xmas partying starts on the 15th.

I'm really giving a trip up there consideration now.....although if we do, it won't be the weekend the rest of you go as we already have plans.

If you go be very wary of the tides ! We have chosen these weekends because the low tide falls on the right days ! :) and the site is a bombing range during the week ! ;)

I'd not read right through the thread and thought you guys had settled on the 17th - if we can make it it will be the 3rd :D - have already checked the tides!

Lenses from 50mm upward are suitable here, the most useful size would be around 100mm.
Larger lenses are useful around the waters edge to catch the seals playing in the surf.

Here's one of my shots from last year taken with the nifty 50.

MEP-XC7E4356.jpg

You just need to make sure you don't over stay your welcome.
One of the females tried her best to chase me of last weekend and I was no where near her pup.
Ian and Marcel thought it was funny, and shouted for me to stay there while they got a photo.

Well I've persuaded the other half! We'll be heading there on the 3rd - just got to get a hotel booked for the night before now. Oh yes, and decide whether I can stretch to the 70-200mm f2.8 before then!

I simply can't believe just HOW close you are able to get to the seals - something of a dream for me as the ones we watch on holiday are a heck of a lot more wary of people. To get the chance to photograph them that close up - amazing.

tom tom says this trip is 177 miles each way :eek:

These are going to have to be some friendly seals to make this worth while

Yep - not far off that for us too. Which is why we're looking at staying overnight. Can't say I fancy that sort of drive before breakfast, and with NO toilets at the other end! :eek:

I simply can't believe just HOW close you are able to get to the seals

The one in that pic decided to get a lot closer too ! lol

Whatever you do, DO NOT get the impression these are cuddly fluffy little animals ! Even a baby a few hours old can take your fingers off ! And the parents can get very very protective, so if laying on the floor, make sure someone is watching your back ! Just in case ! these things cant half move !

if you give me a post code to the place, which I cant seem to find, I'll tell ya ;)

Nearest postcode is LN11 7NT Marsh Lane. When on Marsh lane just keep going towards the sea, but stop when you see the burger van :)

Only 51 miles for me :)

Mark.

Well I've persuaded the other half! We'll be heading there on the 3rd - just got to get a hotel booked for the night before now. Oh yes, and decide whether I can stretch to the 70-200mm f2.8 before then!

I simply can't believe just HOW close you are able to get to the seals - something of a dream for me as the ones we watch on holiday are a heck of a lot more wary of people. To get the chance to photograph them that close up - amazing.

I will no doubt see you there on the 3rd as thats the day I can make it too.

Back