Donna Nook

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
OK forum ;)

Went to Donna Nook with Matt and Marcel today to scope it out for our annual visit !

Need to check the tide tables etc, but it looks possible for about the 3rd or 17th December, so if anybody is up for an early start and the loooooong walk pipe up now with a choice for dates! :) We arrived at 6:45 am and walked out to the seals, got there just as the sun was rising. Dont need to be there that early but the overflow car park is a trek if you dont get into the small main car park ! and it fills quickly !

Great food on site from a catering van thingy, but NO TOILETS or other facilities !

1119-084925.jpg

1119-0748052.jpg

is about a mile from the car park to the seals, on Sand and mud, so is not an easy walk ! Just so people are aware, will need wellies/boots and waterproofs, end up laying on the sand a bit !

Yup. Must point out that it is a bit of a trek...a flat one...albeit a muddy one. (So wellies or boots are a must).
Hat and gloves are a must too, because it's bloomin cold...lol

Waterproofs arent essential, but laying down in the sand is usually needed for the better shots, so damp sand can soak through non waterproofs.

Lens range is from 50mm upwards (so the far end of an 18-55 kit lens on a 1.6x body is OK), anything else and you're a bit too close to the seals I think.

They smell and they're noisy, but they're oh so cute :D And make excellent photographs. That second one of Ians there was born only a few hours before we got there.

For those that dont have a clue what Ian and Marcel are on about (like me 2 mins ago) here is a descriptive link click

:(

I can't make the 18th so good luck with it, i'll have to wait another year to get my seal shots.

Oh......maybe I might be able to make that then ...............roots for pda to check dates.

would you like to decide on a date them i can work out if i am working or need to swap shifts at this rate i will be swapping shifts ten times over.

if you give me a post code to the place, which I cant seem to find, I'll tell ya ;)

It's in Lincolnshire, up north, so you're probably looking at about 230ish miles!

4 hours ! geez what you taking pushbike ?

I drive about 65 miles to my parents in Spalding and then about 55 from theirs to Donna Nook ! Should be about 100 miles for you Dan ! Depending which way you go obviously

OK forum ;)

Great food on site from a catering van thingy, but NO TOILETS or other facilities !

Damn.... almost had me there.
but my minimum requirements for a jaunt like this are:
- Outdoor jacuzzi (heated narturally)
- Massouse (Blonde,Sweedish, Female)
- At least 3 real ales on tap
- A porter

Otherwise I'd be straight there.

(actually a free weekend before Xmas would do... :()

getting 113 miles Ian! google maps says 4 hours lol :p

anyway.. what day as.. I have a girl who wants to come.. so make the right decision or you will get a bigma around your face..

getting 113 miles Ian! google maps says 4 hours lol :p

anyway.. what day as.. I have a girl who wants to come.. so make the right decision or you will get a bigma around your face..

Which way is that taking you Dan ? I go along the A605 to Peterborough, then out towards Spalding then Boston and onto Skegness and up the way to Donna Nook.

Sue is working the 3rd and its the morning after my little brother's 18th so an early night isnt really on the cards. 17th for us definately

This is the pic from the seals back to land at 17mm

1119-091820-01.jpg

and 100mm

1119-090725.jpg

Just to show we arent kidding about the walk !

Oh and pack light ! do not take all of your gear with you ! take just what you need ! You will thank me for that !

Ian, your offer to carry all my kit on msn was most welcome......i'll pack accordingly :D

What happens if you've got the tide times wrong....?

or swim

that donna nook site said to take your longest telephoto so you didnt get too close to the seals and didnt distress them - so who's right? :p

theres an easy asnwer to that - take two bodies ;)

hmmm i could borrow my dads if he doesnt want to come

Back