Donna Nook

I am working on the third so wont be able to make that day I am afraid, but would love to go so think it will have to be the 17th when we go.
Is this turning into two TP outings?

Think there is now two meets one on the 3rd, and then one on the 17th, think me and matt are going on the 17th as I am working the 3rd.

I am hoping to come along. I seem to be free on both those dates, but I am hoping to get some new lenses soon, but maybe not before the 3rd. Looks like 120 miles for me, so I wont be there too early :p

think I'll be coming on the 17th, girl in tow.. all going well

You need to get up early if going this weekend Jimmy :)

looking at tide timetables here:
http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0026

low tide is around 10.21 AM on the 3rd, so best to be out on the sandbanks in the morning and heading back in early/mid afternoon ish.

Also will be very busy this weekend, as has already been said above, Donna Nook was featured on TV on Tuesday night.

Anyone have a link to a site that shows more than one weeks tide times ?
(planning to go 24th or maybe 30th/31st also)

Mark.

I am not able to go this year, but would be interested in going next year.

How would I know when would be the best time to visit the area? are there any times of day that are better than others - obviously i need to make sure the tide is out otherwise I may get a little wet!

Thanks

Found this - only goes to 14 days Im afraid

Unfortunately I wont be going on the 3rd, still not recovered from the car crash i was in last week, so will have to give it a miss

Sorry to hear that MH - hope you're feeling better soon.

Last time I looked the weather was looking awaful for Sunday so I shall be keeping an eye on things up to tomorrow morning to make sure it's worth me spending the cash on the hotel.......Who else is going Sunday then?

My other half will be with me - using my old DSLR - however he's not very confident with it yet and is still only learning the techy stuff......(aren't we al!)....so if those who are going could avoid asking him questions on apertures etc then that'd be helpful. He's a little nervous I think, that people are going to be asking him stuff that he doesn't understand yet, and he'll feel a fool......! Bless! Fortunately he doesn't read the forum so he won't know I've asked....!

If its anything like the meets I've been on questions dont really get asked other than "what settings are you using?" etc.

If its anything like the meets I've been on questions dont really get asked other than "what settings are you using?" etc.

Yes, and that's exactly the sort of questions he'll be floundering about at the moment! He actually knows more than he thinks he does, but because he thinks it's all still a great mystery it's still baffling him at the moment. I suspect it'll all click into place suddenly and he'll then start believing me that it's not as complex as he thinks. He'll likely have the camera in P mode unless I nudge him to be more adventurous.....I remember those days though! :LOL:

Ahhh - good plan!!! You can learn a lot that way!

The chap I work with at speedway has been brilliant with helping me with stuff - I'd not have learnt half as much without his help and I'm now attempting to pass on some of that help to Ben. The annoying thing is that Ben has a superb eye for composition and can almost take a good shot without trying. Frustrating as hell for me - I have to work at it every step of the way! :bonk:

To: Donna Nook,Louth

Distance: 468.7 miles

Time: 8 hr 34 min

Don't think I'll bother :(

Weather report is STILL looking awful.....am hoping that the 24 hour looks brighter when I get up tomorrow, otherwise I honestly think we're going to have to cry off. Just can't afford pay out for the hotel without getting anything out of it. :(

I'm watching the weather too. Forecast on BBC shows a break in the rain for mid morning to lunchtime but it all seems a bit too dodgy at the moment.

It does, doesn't it. Any chance of some feedback from those who've been there? How accurate have you found the forecasts to be - there are some areas of coast (bits of South devon being one) where the published forecasts are usually about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I know what's going to happen - I'll cancel it, we'll not go, and then, mid afternoon tomorrow, yet more beautifully sunlit pics of seals will be appearing on here. :cautious:

Hotel now cancelled. :(

I've been there once before. It was a bright sunny day with a slight breeze. At the end of a couple of hours on the sand I was feeling cold even though it was quite mild really. A strong breeze or wind and I recon it could be a bit much.

So I'm wimping out too. Forecasts have a habit of being wrong so I hope it is for those that are still going. Might consider the 17th.

btw Witch - I drove there and back same day last time and it wasn't too bad a journey (from london end of M11).

How long did it take you Robert and what sort of time did you aim to be there? I was considering this initially - we're obviously a couple of junctions up the '11 from you too.

Think I left about 7 to 7.30 am and was walking out onto the sand at about 11am. I don't break speed limits (well not by much ;) )

The others from the forum were already there and phone reception was a bit hit and miss but finding them wasn't too hard. It is a long walk out to the sea - especially in wellies :)

I don't DO wellies! Actually, I do now own a pair - used them once on holiday last year - when we went out at dusk to take pictures of a tower on an island with the setting sun behind it - KNEW I'd be paddling and have to admit I was glad to be wearing them but that was the only time in the fortnight they came out!

I'll keep my eye on the tide times for another time we might manage to make it I think.

*edit* Just looked at the tide times for tomorrow in conjunction with the weather forecast, and we think we're going to get ourselves up nice and early, check the weather forecast, and then make a decision about doing what RobertP did last year. We've got twenty minutes on him so it'd be doable from an early start, and we've only got a bit of petrol to lose I guess. If the forecast tomorrow monring still says it's going to be awful all morning, then we can always go back to bed!

I went yesterday morning and arrived around 7:30. Sadly it was very overcast and I couldn't get any half-decent pictures until around 9am when it started to brighten up a little - however the place itself was incredible - I wasn't expecting to see so many seals!

I'd imagine it was very cold and wet this morning if the weather in Coventry last night was anything to go by.

Well, if any of you decide to go today, I hope you all have a lovely day and bag plenty of shots :)

And don't forget to share the results with us all (y)

A few of the ones that didn't come out blurry yesterday morning...

s_IMG_0519.jpg

s_IMG_0483.jpg

s_IMG_0477.jpg

s_IMG_0465.jpg

Amazing how the younger seals were so fearless, trying to poke their heads through the fence - yet the mothers were extremely defensive - even towards other seals!

Not sure if #2 looked better in B&W or not. (Original here)

Other than a bit of cropping and a tweak of the levels to try and enhance the colours from the poor morning light, not a great deal has been done to these photos. Would be interested in hearing anyone's recommendations.

I reckon you've done well there in what looks like very drab light. :)

we went!!! Pics are downloading as I write....it was still looking very grim and grey here at 6am, but the forecast looked ever so slightly better than it had done - the "sunshine and showers" bit had come forward by about three hours so we decided to give it a go. The rain held out - torrential at times - all the way up the M11, but by the time we hit the A1M it was brightening a bit and a little further on was looking fine ahead and no more rain at all. By the time we got to Donna Nook itself the sun was out, and that was the way it stayed! Got very wet and muddy, saw more seals than I could ever have dreamed of, and had a thoroughly excellent time!

Shots will follow later - I even shot RAW & JPEG for the occasion! :D

Back