Daily Donnie's 365 for 2013

Just catching up! I really love your motorcyclist shot and that signpost is just plain brilliant!

I'm with Sarah - 60 is amazing! (y)(y)

I also really like 52 and 57.

Great catch up full of interesting stuff! :)

Thanks again all the for kind comments.

52 was my shot for the Photographer of the Year challenge on here where I got 5th so was quite chuffed with that.

I basically set the camera on a tripod then my off camera flash was camera left. All done in a dark room and took a few shots until I got the positioning of the hands and the crucifix right.

The only processing was a levels adjust, colour temp adjust and a slight sharpen if memory serves. The lighting was as you see it.

56 is a shot of Nick the owner of a local independent shop in town. We have a local free independent paper, not a local rag type one. It's called the Bedford Clanger http://thebedfordclanger.wordpress.com/ and I have been doing some photography for them. The brief here was to get some product type shots for an article they were running on him and his shop to promote independent business in the town. So I got about a dozen shots plus they needed a shot of him and I just thought this would be a great portrait shot for him which is basically his upstairs sale room.

57 was a model at our camera club studio night and the theme of the night was to try and capture a hollywood look so found a tutorial online somewhere and experimented with gaussian blur and layers to get the desired effect.

60 I really enjoyed doing but was inspired by someone else on TP who lists how he did it here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=468396 that he'd found an online tutorial on the photoextremist site and did it. As I had a creative image competition coming up at our local camera club I thought it would be quite good.
Im happy with it, (it came 2nd) and it'll be going on my wall :)

Now some more catching up.

I wanted to have a go at one of those cd and water shots but wanted drops that were reasonably round so used a small dropper to randomly apply them instead of splashing water on there.
The rest is just a tripod, long exposure and a torch. I did have to burn the black cloth out in pp to get as uniform a black background as possible too where the torch light had strayed a bit.

365_61 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This is one I took yesterday in town. It was a miserable day yesterday with rain and fog but I had to bring her indoors into town for an eye appointment so decided to challenge myself and see what could I get despite the weather.

Managed to get a half dozen shots I was more than happy with and this is one of them.:)

365_62 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Oh boy, being so far behind it's hard to pick out shots I like best! Day 50 (sign posts) and 60 (face on your hands) are both really good. Quite like that last one too though, really nice processing

Thanks all.

I think I have finally actually caught up!!!!!

365_65 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This shot is Space....

As in Parking Space. This is a snap really to loosely fit the theme for this years Project 52 I have fallen behind on! Decided to give it a little olde photo processing as I liked the weathered look of the sign and the red brick background.

365_66 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This is Viking Kayak Club

This was today (10th March) in Bedford at the Etienne Stott Slalom in Bedford. I only went down to take some snaps and he was there. Not every day you see an Olympic Gold Medallist!

365_67 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Bedford Embankment War Memorial.

This is on the other side of the river from where the canoeing was going on today, decided I wanted to get a few shots today despite weather being naff.
With this I shot underexposed to ensure I kept the background buildings dark, then upped the exposure of the statue in lightroom.
Then I dropped the clarity and vibrance sliders right down too.

365_68 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

This is Castle Brewery

Not a lot of people know there used to be a brewery in this part of Bedford. This is just behind the Swan Hotel at the end of the embankment for those that know it.

Processing here was a simple crop to get rid of some ugly boarding at the bottom as they are continuing some building work and then a lightroom preset which was split tone 1.

365_69 by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

And my final image which gets me level now for today is my first attempt at wire wool spinning.

This image is a stack of about 7 layers where I took several 30 second exposures and using my flashgun did some light painting using different coloured flash gels. Once I did that I did the wire wool bit.

It's nowhere near the standard of many and I don't the technique quite right yet but I was determined to give it a go and now I guess I can practice :)

Hiya Paul, certainly a great first attempt at wire wool spinning, and certainly something I'd like to have a go at.....the beauty of the 365 is trying out new ideas/techniques and working on them for future shots (y)

Great catch up :)

Not at all sure I like the processing on the statue :eek:

Do like the Brewery, although it's a shame you had to crop the bottom off, it looks wrong somehow.

Wire wool is something I'd love to try - but it scares me :LOL:

I like the brewery shot, mainly because of the way they've wrapped the writing round the pillars.
Like the light painting as well, good idea to do it in the bandstand on the embankment. Sarah, wire wool in your dry climate might not be a good idea :)

Back