Don't lose your composure over composition...

Don't we have a critique section.

Gordon, why, rather than pontificate on this thread, don't you dive into some threads and give critique on some images and say what you feel can improve this.

I am open to critique

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-angel-of-the-north-colour-or-mono.536232/

Do you feel in the 1st/second shot my deliberate off angle works, do you like the lighting, would you rather see me straight on to the subject with perfect symmetry. Are the images too tight, should I crop?

I'd like to see you offer some assistance, critique on here has been most helpful to me starting out.

Give it a try?

Ok. But I've already looked at those pictures. My view on the angel is that it's already been overdone and so you are setting yourself up for a fall going near something like that. But, that amounts to a sort of bias and I'll judge them on the basis of what I see whilst trying to forget the thousands of other people who did the shot.

I have no issue with any of your angles. The first two are quite standard silhouette type shots. I think they would have been better if you waited an hour or so until it was darker (assuming those are nighttime rather than early morning shots). If it was myself I might have considered going quite a bit further back and giving a better sense of the scale of the thing and the context it exists in. Funnily enough though, most shots of that I have seen are quite tight so I'm guessing getting it from a distance is more work or difficult.

Your third shot is the best but it's also your biggest failure. There's a hint of what the structure is made of in there and I think it would have been nice to show more of that. There's too much darkness on the torso etc and so there seems to be a bit of confusion there about what you are trying to achieve. I would have preferred much more light on the whole thing and I'm not a great fan of outright silhouettes.

It would be interesting to see that thing from a distance with some sense of scale. Maybe you could include the road with cars on it at its feet somehow. And I'd love to see some fog or mist in and around its base.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Funny how most of those aren't entirely sharp either

we can add logical thought and consistency to your fail list too

Strange and dark mind you have. I look at those pictures and I'm filled with emotion. I think about the mess we have made of this world and how nearly all those stupid nightmares could so easily be avoided. Here you are talking about them being out of focus and petty point scoring. I rest my case.

Strange and dark mind you have. I look at those pictures and I'm filled with emotion. I think about the mess we have made of this world and how nearly all those stupid nightmares could so easily be avoided. Here you are talking about them being out of focus and petty point scoring. I rest my case.

Again with the irony - I don't care that they are out of focus - you on the other hand created a 37 page thread about how focus was key and you'd not consider any out of focus photo worth keeping (as I said you fail at both logic and consistency - but still when you spout as much rubbish as you do it must be hard to keep track)

Excuse me Frodo....didn't you, just a few hours ago, promise to vacate the premises for the evening?

Should we add a lack of integrity to your growing list of defects?

Again with the irony - I don't care that they are out of focus - you on the other hand created a 37 page thread about how focus was key and you'd not consider any out of focus photo worth keeping (as I said you fail at both logic and consistency - but still when you spout as much rubbish as you do it must be hard to keep track)

I can't be the only one who is getting tired of your moaning. What is it you want? I'll say it, anything, just tell me.

I am a slug, I am a fake slug. I'm a troublemaking troll. I'm evil. I worship satan. I have never used a camera in my life. In fact, I have no eyes. I am blind with no eyes and no camera. Everything I ever said is invalid. I am invalid.

Satisfied?

Excuse me Frodo....didn't you, just a few hours ago, promise to vacate the premises for the evening?

Should we add a lack of integrity to your growing list of defects?

Yes.

Now instead of simply disliking you, I feel immense pity for you, and for the sad and pointless existence you so obviously endure.

Now instead of simply disliking you, I feel immense pity for you, and for the sad and pointless existence you so obviously endure.

Lol. That's pretty harsh. Why are you saying all this?

. I'm evil. I worship satan.
Satisfied?
Cool :)

I tried this Devil worship thing once.
Unfortunately I am also slightly Dyslexic,
and ended up selling my soul to Santa :(

I sat on Santa's knee once.
I celebrate the occasion still.
I grow a stubble and make sure I stink of cheap booze.

Don't worry, I won't ask if we can somehow verify this. I mean the bit about you having a soul, not the Santa bit ;)

This megga-meet thing looks interesting.

Did you feel his spiritual presents ;)

Lol. That's pretty harsh. Why are you saying all this?

Because it's the obvious answer.
You're friendless. Pointless. Sad and lonely.
You're feeding on the attention here...and for that I pity you.
When all goes quiet here, do you sit back alone with just the light of your computer screen for company?
I suspect your sad little heart beats with anticipation each time you check for responses, because for you each one validates your existence.

Don't worry, I won't ask if we can somehow verify this. I mean the bit about you having a soul, not the Santa bit ;)
Sorry I can't verify it, I sold it :(
(Wrongly it seems :( )

Oh you must come, I'm sure we won't be disappointed (y)

I suppose they'll want me to do a lecture or workshop thing if I go to the megga-meet thing...

Will you be attending the meet?.

I suppose they'll want me to do a lecture or workshop thing if I go to the megga-meet thing...
We haven't booked any pagan festivities yet (y)

There is only one formal "talk" booked. the other "participants" are doing practical demonstrations,
If you think you have a practical skill that others maybe interested in feel free to
PM me with a proposed scenario / lay out.

Because it's the obvious answer.
You're friendless. Pointless. Sad and lonely.
You're feeding on the attention here...and for that I pity you.
When all goes quiet here, do you sit back alone with just the light of your computer screen for company?
I suspect your sad little heart beats with anticipation each time you check for responses, because for you each one validates your existence.

Well there's at least a more technical aspect to this one rather than just runaway emotion.

I'm on an ipad. A little thing pops up when someone posts on any of the threads I created.

You seem genuinely upset and I really don't know why. I'm sorry that I did that although I don't know how it happened. Genuinely perplexed. Would it help if I left and didn't respond to people who come on a thread I created? If so, I will.

Last edited:
Goddamn this dysexia I opened a whorehouse :(
Epic fail yet again :(

I'm still traumatised by my trip to Thailand - the tour instructions said

Bang kok
Phuket

Haven't been quite the same since :LOL:

I'm still traumatised by my trip to Thailand - the tour instructions said
Bang kok
Phuket
Haven't been quite the same since :LOL:
I keep taking the micky out of my friends Thai bride.

He is not happy, neither is my friend, if I'm honest :(

We haven't booked any pagan festivities yet (y)

There is only one formal "talk" booked. the other "participants" are doing practical demonstrations,
If you think you have a practical skill that others maybe interested in feel free to
PM me with a proposed scenario / lay out.

Lol. I'll have a think about it. Part of me thinks I should offer to help, give something back and help people improve. Part of me is also thinking it would nice just to be a normal photographer for a change too and enjoy not being involved with the running of things.

I keep taking the micky out of my friends Thai bride.

He is not happy, neither is my friend, if I'm honest :(

I guess he's not bothered by a small penis

Lol. I'll have a think about it. Part of me thinks I should offer to help, give something back and help people improve. Part of me is also thinking it would nice just to be a normal photographer for a change too and enjoy not being involved with the running of things.
Oh don't worry about that, there isn't enough room for a third ego in the running of things.
All you will have to do is sit back and take instruction from Yvonne (@Yv)
She will be more than happy to direct you (y)

.......would it help if I left and didn't respond to people who come on a thread I created? If so, I will.

If 't'were only so.

Oh come on Gordon. This has surely gone on long enough.

Reveal.

This persona of a moronic, sociopathic, disturbed but bright, buffoon of the highest order, has pretty much run its course.

Entertaining I'll grant you, but there comes a time...

Gordy...You've stated previously that you're not a photographer. Make your mind up.

that's a little harsh ruth - I didn't think his gob shots were that bad ;)

Back