Don't lose your composure over composition...

Haha- thanks David- I did see it went a bit Pete Tong so had changed it:)

I'm sorry to interrupt...but I'm in Kent here. Could someone please tell me the direction I should be watching the sky tonight in order to spot his mother ship?

Ta very much.

7th (IIRC!) rock from the sun - or under a bridge...

We need to identify the species first.

Actually...Gorch is a rather nasty and unsightly skin condition commonly suffered by pubescent Klingons. :)

Ok I have a composition I want to consider.

Imagine a middle-aged man with a brand new camera standing in the middle of a reasonably busy public park. He's wearing sunglasses and screwing up his eyes as he looks in various directions through a black cardboard frame that he made himself. As he does so, he is humming a kraftwerk classic to himself -- "We Are The Robots" -- in a bid to empty his mind of all thought.

In the background a police car has pulled up near the entrance to the park. A policeman is talking to an innocent bystander who, with a concerned expression, is pointing towards our middle-aged photographer.

If anyone thinks that's anything other than pure art, they shouldn't be fiddling around with cameras.

This is the greatest thread ever....

Thanks Damien. Welcome aboard. I tend to do the more serious academic stuff in the afternoons so feel free to visit tomorrow when we will be moving on to look closely at one or two examples of good and bad composition.

Imagine a middle-aged man with a brand new camera standing in the middle of a reasonably busy public park. He's wearing sunglasses and screwing up his eyes as he looks in various directions through a black cardboard frame that he made himself. As he does so, he is humming a kraftwerk classic to himself -- "We Are The Robots" -- in a bid to empty his mind of all thought.

In the background a police car has pulled up near the entrance to the park. A policeman is talking to an innocent bystander who, with a concerned expression, is pointing towards our middle-aged photographer.

If anyone thinks that's anything other than pure art, they shouldn't be fiddling around with cameras.

Wow, interesting.

Thanks Damien. Welcome aboard. I tend to do the more serious academic stuff in the afternoons so feel free to visit tomorrow when we will be moving on to look closely at one or two examples of good and bad composition.

Well ill look forward to tomorrow afternoon then. I can guess where you will get the badly composed shots, but where will you be borrowing the good ones from?

Best thread this month. Gorch is a very naughty boy. Certainly not any sort of photography messiah
Oh but he is...just imagine his posts in the voice of HAL 9000 and it all makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
im just not sure which previously banned member to check first....

..please folks, ignore function for now, and David, dont get sucked in, i know you like a good debate and all but dont get wound up

Reactions: Nod
Something has been niggling away at me. There's a nagging familiarity about Gordon's style; a distinct similarity with a style I've encountered before.

Then it hit me -

Has anyone here heard of Pincho Paxton?

I think it would be more useful if you explained why it IS art, surely.

im just not sure which previously banned member to check first....

..please folks, ignore function for now, and David, dont get sucked in, i know you like a good debate and all but dont get wound up

Oh I'm not sucked in. I know full well what this character is. I'm just using him as a source of entertainment :)

Last edited:
You guys do know that a Gortch is a boil that Klingons develop!

You guys do know that a Gortch is a boil that Klingons develop!

I'm quite proud to say that I don't, but there's always a Trekky (or however they spell it) or a person who Googles to educate me! ;):)

I intended to make a statement to the community of readers that I thought was both important to myself and that would have been important to others.

I regret to inform you that I will not be doing so. I am considering my options and leaning towards withdrawing from my responsibilities here for good.

So why are you still on line 5 hours later ?

We all know the statement you were going to make was an admission that Gorch is a sock puppet account and who you really are, but you bottled out for fear that both accounts would get banned.

This can't be. Who is this gortch? Why wasn't I informed that a unique human being would be visiting? This can't be, it must be a ploy. It must be someone pretending to be a unique individual. This doesn't compute.

Attack! Attack! Exterminate! Exterminate!

Listen, folks. I have some terrible news for you all. And I mean you all, every single one of you. You see, well, basically, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you are all unique individuals. It's true. Just like me.

But listen, there's an up-side too. You're all free. Free to be you. That's right. Free to be different, to be honest and real. The king has no clothes on and you are free to tell him and do what you want (within reason). You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Apply that to photography, think of the potential. No more chameleons nailed to logs in countries they have no godly right being in, no blurry plants being celebrated, no cheating in photoshop, no fake wildlife shots from zoos, and no snobbery. Just innocent child-like excitement about the truth and reality and what really is.

Welcome to the world.

Something has been niggling away at me. There's a nagging familiarity about Gordon's style; a distinct similarity with a style I've encountered before.

Then it hit me -

Has anyone here heard of Pincho Paxton?

Not sure why but I expected more and better from you, Simon. Might I suggest the something that has been niggling at you all day might be resolved by spending a little more on your underwear. I had a similar problem with y-fronts that someone, who I shall not name for diplomatic reasons, bought me from tesco. Listen, take my advice, try M&S and let me know if the problem persists in a week or two.

Always glad to help and thanks for your contributions to the discussion.

No more chameleons nailed to logs in countries they have no godly right being in, no blurry plants being celebrated, no cheating in photoshop, no fake wildlife shots from zoos, and no snobbery. Just innocent child-like excitement about the truth and reality and what really is.

Welcome to the world.

Crap shots of woodpeckers? Not going to include that?

Show us your work. You're very quick to dismiss other styles of work... so am I if truth be told, but at least I put my money where my mouth is.

I'm utterly convinced you're a troll, and as such have earned my disdain, ridicule and utterly deserve the assumption that you are completely devoid of talent and experience, and are in no position to be suggesting anything to anyone in this forum.

There's something wrong with teh way you write. Bad acting comes through in writing as well as voice and body language. I know bad acting when I see it, and I'm looking at it right now.

You are not a worthy debate opponent. It would be like kicking a kitten.

Have a good evening.

Without proof I dismiss this.

Dismiss cg girl's full stops but don't dismiss her photography. She's one of the few people who stand out on here and I mean that absolutely in all seriousness. I'd actually put one or two of her pictures on my wall and I don't even like English countryside pictures.

You're all free. Free to be you. That's right. Free to be different, to be honest and real.

DAMN right - and that is why I will continue with my little snap shots, soft or out of focus or badly composed or whatever else people think of them!

My truth may not be your truth or anyone elses truth, but I will embrace it for what it is! :D

I love blurry plants and I love the fact that no-one but you would consider nailing a chameleon to a log and I love the fact that you consider a little banter to be some all consuming flirtation. I love your silly little comments because I LOVE TO LAUGH. :D:D:D

Crap shots of woodpeckers? Not going to include that?

Show us your work. You're very quick to dismiss other styles of work... so am I if truth be told, but at least I put my money where my mouth is.

I'm utterly convinced you're a troll, and as such have earned my disdain, ridicule and utterly deserve the assumption that you are completely devoid of talent and experience, and are in no position to be suggesting anything to anyone in this forum.

There's something wrong with teh way you write. Bad acting comes through in writing as well as voice and body language. I know bad acting when I see it, and I'm looking at it right now.

You are not a worthy debate opponent. It would be like kicking a kitten.

Have a good evening.

Lol. Someone's in a tizzy. Good. Get it out. Aggression is good, we can work with that.

Dismiss cg girl's full stops but don't dismiss her photography. She's one of the few people who stand out on here and I mean that absolutely in all seriousness. I'd actually put one or two of her pictures on my wall and I don't even like English countryside pictures.

Thank you!

Of course the real upside of free will (which everyone was already aware of) is the freedom to ignore everything you say, the freedom to take whatever shots we like including (but not limited to) zoos, plants, macro shots of chameleons, using photoshop however we want - telling trolls to swivel on our upright middle digit until they squeal like a piggy... the opportunities are endless

DAMN right - and that is why I will continue with my little snap shots, soft or out of focus or badly composed or whatever else people think of them!

My truth may not be your truth or anyone elses truth, but I will embrace it for what it is! :D

I love blurry plants and I love the fact that no-one but you would consider nailing a chameleon to a log and I love the fact that you consider a little banter to be some all consuming flirtation. I love your silly little comments because I LOVE TO LAUGH. :D:D:D

I'm happy for you. Sincerely. I'm not trying to put ideas in your head but sometimes it helps to do robotic dancing in the mirror when things start getting to you. I used to do it daily. If you can do it naked without laughing for five minutes you enter the hall of fame.

She is indeed a talented photographer - and you've just confirmed my suspicion of who you really are

. If you can do it naked without laughing for five minutes you enter the hall of fame.

See Sam now he wants you to dance naked - I did warn you about his motivations yesterday ;)

I love the fact that no-one but you would consider nailing a chameleon to a log

Indeed - everyone knows that superglue is by far the best way ;)

See Sam now he wants you to dance naked - I did warn you about his motivations yesterday ;)

If that were true it would be a perfectly reasonable and natural motivation. Oh, you're so sophisticated that you defy gravity now. Where's the humanity in that pre-fab excuse for a personality you ended up with?

If that were true it would be a perfectly reasonable and natural motivation. Oh, you're so sophisticated that you defy gravity now. Where's the humanity in that pre-fab excuse for a personality you ended up with?

Troll step six - realise that you are on a loser and everyone is laughing at you , resort to personal insults (step 7 is get unmasked by the mods and banned)

As it happens I save my humanity for those that deserve it - trolls are beneath contempt

Don't we have a critique section.

Gordon, why, rather than pontificate on this thread, don't you dive into some threads and give critique on some images and say what you feel can improve this.

I am open to critique

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-angel-of-the-north-colour-or-mono.536232/

Do you feel in the 1st/second shot my deliberate off angle works, do you like the lighting, would you rather see me straight on to the subject with perfect symmetry. Are the images too tight, should I crop?

Is the obvious distortion in the 3rd and 4th a deal breaker, are you ok with it, given the perpsective issues and lack of available elevation to the subject do you think I should have taken it, or tried to fit the whole structure in, or maybe focus'd on one part and had less distortion issues?

I'd like to see you offer some assistance, critique on here has been most helpful to me starting out.

Give it a try?

Last edited:
Troll step six - realise that you are on a loser and everyone is laughing at you , resort to personal insults (step 7 is get unmasked by the mods and banned)

As it happens I save my humanity for those that deserve it - trolls are beneath contempt

I'm less discriminating with my humanity. Open all hours, all welcome. Just lighten up, whatever you think of me.

Back