Dovestones Reservoir Greenfield Saddleworth

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Well first off I must say I take my hat off to to you guys and galls whom take landscape photos. I find it very difficult indeed.
Anyways. I had a day off work last Friday and got up early (Not a morning person) but thought I would drive up to Dovestones and maybe catch the sun coming up.Not sure if there is a way to know if a good sky is about to explode or if it is a case of you take your chances ?
Needless to say this day it was very grey flat no clouds and a hint of mist followed by drizzle. Again not sure what you people would have done eg: still take photos or leave and come back another day.
That said I had I decided to walk around the reservoir. The week previous I had bought a 10 stop filter that would fit my 50mm lens from the classifieds on here, only a cheap one.So I gave that a try not sure if it is the right place to have used it.
I guess it would have been better to have clouds and a better compositon but I am posting here looking for crit/advice on how to achieve better results.

Gaz

All feedback welcomed

image.jpg

tp_3.jpg

tp2.jpg

The conditions seem to have worked against you here I'm afraid. There's nothing more frustrating than when you head out to location and are let down by the weather.

#1 is nice and sharp but I don't think the fencing on the left has to be there. from that photo alone I don't know what it is and detracts from what could be a nice scenic image.

Hopefully the weather plays ball for you next time!

The conditions seem to have worked against you here I'm afraid. There's nothing more frustrating than when you head out to location and are let down by the weather.

#1 is nice and sharp but I don't think the fencing on the left has to be there. from that photo alone I don't know what it is and detracts from what could be a nice scenic image.

Hopefully the weather plays ball for you next time!
Hi Steven. Thanks for stopping by and giving me some feedback. I see what you mean with the fence/grate whatever it is. I must admit the image does feel a bit odd leaving it cut off in the corner like that but I could not include more of it in the view from that vantage point as there was a stone wall next to it.
I will have to try again in better conditions.

Thanks again.

Gaz

You really need to make sure your horizon is level or in this case your lake shores. Easily remedied in photoshop although you will lose part of your picture. Best sorted at the time of taking.

Hi Gary,

As others have mentioned the horizon should be level in #1. However, to include the fencing in #1 is a superb idea in my opinion. It really stands out and adds intrigue and is quite alarming as its not expected.

#2 is bloody brilliant IMO for composition. I would try that over and over until the right conditions appear.

Great effort.

Cheers,

Alan

I really like No 3.
Number two makes a good attempt at showing the modern elements of the fencing and outflow in contrast to the softer natural elements of the water and the hillside. The sky wasn't working in your favour but you could try a similar composition in different weather on a future occasion.
No 1 is a brave attempt at being "edgy" but I actually thought it was two different images at first glance. It may be worth trying different crops to get an idea for a possible alternative view with just the modern shapes and still water, but without the hills or sky.

You really need to make sure your horizon is level or in this case your lake shores. Easily remedied in photoshop although you will lose part of your picture. Best sorted at the time of taking.
Cheers Alan. Yes I did notice that in image number one and did straighten at one point but when I looked at the grate/railing I saw that it was upright with the edge of the frame so left it as is. I guess I was wrong to do that :-(
PS. #3 Doesnt really do it for me. Apologies.
No apolies needed Alan. I thank you for stopping by :)

I really like No 3.
Number two makes a good attempt at showing the modern elements of the fencing and outflow in contrast to the softer natural elements of the water and the hillside. The sky wasn't working in your favour but you could try a similar composition in different weather on a future occasion.
No 1 is a brave attempt at being "edgy" but I actually thought it was two different images at first glance. It may be worth trying different crops to get an idea for a possible alternative view with just the modern shapes and still water, but without the hills or sky.
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the feedback, maybe I should try again when there is some more sky action going on. I was thinking number 3 may make a good silhouette site eg : gate open person walking through ?
Re image 1. I liked this image best although felt there were not enough rail showing but my eye was drawn to the rail and it's reflection disapearing into the water, maybe a closer shot of just that would be nice then again I would need to be down on floor level which is not possible.
At least you guys have got me thinking about trying again. I was feeling like not venturing out again as I hadnt captured anything worthwhile.

Gaz

Back