DP Review to close

Tangent after seeing some mod mods. Why are we not allowed to mention other forums? We are a community no? And not a business?

E.g our large format gathering here is small and there is lots of advice on another well renowned forum which has tonnes of information

Or do we have a specific resource sharing thread?

Thanks!
Exactly and mentioning the name of another forum in a discussion is hardly advertising.

... And that it seems to have been 2007 when they took it over. :oops: :$ That I would have guessed 2012-13, indicates to me what little changed. That Amazon now seem to be just ending it will be the ultimate negative effect though.

That's when Amazon moved the DPR production office from Southwark to Silicon Valley.

I used to value the detailed reviews with run-downs on dynamic range and handlability &c, that could be viewed in slow time. I've never been enamoured of the u-tube iterations with people shouting trivia to camera. The marketing of hot air isn't to my taste. So not something to be missed much.

We are a community no? And not a business?
Of course we are a business, how else do we keep the forum free for all?
Exactly and mentioning the name of another forum in a discussion is hardly advertising.
No but providing YouTube links to other forums are.
Have I shut the thread down? No.
Have I removed any type of re-direct yes.

Of course we are a business, how else do we keep the forum free for all?

No but providing YouTube links to other forums are.
Have I shut the thread down? No.
Have I removed any type of re-direct yes.

TBQH I never knew that Petapixel even had any forums. I only ever think of it as a news site like The Guardian or TechCrunch that have a comments section at the foot of their stories, but I may be mistaken.

Unless you are talking about linking to YouTube, which is effectively the same format again (article + comments)?

Edit: As I don't go there very often, I just took a look at Petapixel and if there is a forum somewhere on the site, it is well hidden.

Last edited:
I have just looked and I have been a DPReview member since.......

August 2003 ~ phew, nigh on 20 years!!!!

FWIW I have requested a download of all of my content, might make for an archive resource for me :thinking:

Last edited:
FWIW I have requested a download of all of my content, might make for an archive resource for me :thinking:

Will be interested to know what they give you. Will it be just all your posts and comments without any replies or will you get all of the replies from each post you've made?

Amazon, having terminally damaged loads of businesses across the world, are finding out what it is like when times get tough.

If it wasn’t for the damage done (e.g. with DP Review) I’d say karma.

Yes, they would deserve it!

They sail very close to the wind regarding catching people out to sign up to prime without really realising what they are doing, used to be impossible to deal with to resolve problems, misleading and irrelevant reviews, has become a place worse than the well known auction site for selling cheap Chinese junk.

DP review was the last amazon thing I could find any usefulness in, and a site that I use almost daily, so as that site goes down, so does my opinion of amazon.
I very rarely look at the forum or videos from DPreview, so I won't miss that, but the camera reviews and tests/comparisons have become as close to a standard as I have seen.

I bet even if some one wanted to take it over, they would demand a fortune for it!

Like many here I too like their straightforward style in reviews. If I wanted a view on a camera I always looked to see if DP had done it.

Agree with the comments about Facebook etc don't cut due to lack of structure. I belong to a wildlife Facebook group and it bad enough not being able to easily follow a particular topic without others intervening but even more so is my annoyance at links appearing to a photo of a meal someone had a few days ago..

Dave

Whilst I never used the forums, I really like the thoroughness of their reviews, even more so now that most reviews have moved to YouTube, I much prefer a good written review.

I only used DPReview for comparing camera specs. A pity they'll disappear. Mike Johnston summed it up for me on TOP: "The Internet is simply not a good repository for culture, information, and stored knowledge."

It was a good site for reviews, especially when they were written by Phil (Askey) The forums could be very toxic though. I've not been on in years.

Yet another indicator of the decline of the digital camera.

https://sportsshooter.com/ went bust

So no big surprise the https://www.dpreview.com/ will not be actively updated anymore as it does not materially improve sales for Amazon.

That sportshooter are saying A Break, no proof it went bust. Decline in digital camera as well is a no, the cost of living world wide is having a big impact.

That sportshooter are saying A Break, no proof it went bust.

Decline in digital camera as well is a no, the cost of living world wide is having a big impact.
vFYRnCM.png

Mirrorless and SLR will merge into just Mirrorless Sales, P&S will continue as I expect that all instant film cameras (still a popular genre) fall into that category.

Would not be surprised if these worldwide shipping numbers will occur before year 2030.

- <6.0 million mirrorless
- <0.5 million dslr
- <0.5 million p&s

Making those graphs connect to sportsshooter & DPReview... it appears that not enough people are visiting the site or buying digital cameras through referral links via DPReview.

Other forums photo forums have gone belly up like http://photocamel.com/

I am still surprise that pbase.com is still up.

Last edited:
Interesting thing from that chart is that mirrorless sales have been fairly constant for the last 10 years or so, and don't really seem to have beneffited from the decline of SLR, which is what it bringing down total sales of SLR and mirrorless.

May suggest that people used to upgrade their SLRs fairly frequently but still a significant amount of people that have decided to stay with SLR and not moved to mirrorless.

Interesting thing from that chart is that mirrorless sales have been fairly constant for the last 10 years or so, and don't really seem to have beneffited from the decline of SLR, which is what it bringing down total sales of SLR and mirrorless.

May suggest that people used to upgrade their SLRs fairly frequently but still a significant amount of people that have decided to stay with SLR and not moved to mirrorless.
It's probably that cameras got "good enough". As with any technology, at the start there are massive improvements from generation to generation. As the tech matures the big gains are more difficult if not impossible to achieve, so the benefit of buying a new model is less. Any DSLR or Mirrorless from the past 10-12 years will take great images, so why upgrade?

The same thing is happening with smartphones. 10 years ago, each yearly release had some meaningful advances over the previous year's model. That doesn't happen anymore as they are a mature technology.

Brace yourself for an influx of new members!!
All are welcome, so long as they play nicely and are genuinely interested. Especially if they buy us coffees occasionally!

Brace yourself for an influx of new members!!
Yup! I mentioned TP in one of the discussion threads there......so you never know who might arrive. I hope mods are ready :LOL:

Yup! I mentioned TP in one of the discussion threads there......so you never know who might arrive. I hope mods are ready :LOL:
When a certain other forum closed and a couple of people mentioned TP, we did get some arriving in drips and drabs,
But I've oiled the hamsters wheel, and bought her a multi pack of red bull, just in case :)

Last edited:
All is revealed - Amazon are to pay a 50p per hour increase to its UK staff. No wonder they are having to watch the pennies! :rolleyes:

Oh, so concrete boots are to stop running not swimming ? :LOL:
When the Hamsters cage gets full, the rest go overboard, its a win - win (y)

It's probably that cameras got "good enough". As with any technology, at the start there are massive improvements from generation to generation. As the tech matures the big gains are more difficult if not impossible to achieve, so the benefit of buying a new model is less. Any DSLR or Mirrorless from the past 10-12 years will take great images, so why upgrade?

The same thing is happening with smartphones. 10 years ago, each yearly release had some meaningful advances over the previous year's model. That doesn't happen anymore as they are a mature technology.
Canon is retiring the consumer DSLR brands of Kiss and Rebel. A sign that consumer ILCs have dropped so low that combining Rxx, Rxxx and Rxxxx with the Japan, US and the rest of the world market makes more sense to do.

ILCs for professionals are still selling as they need replacements for jobs but consumers have decided that smartphones are good enough.

I was unclear - I meant that the announcement was today and the closure date is only April 10th - 3 weeks. I did know that they had owned Dpreview for some time though hadn't realised it was that long.

Richard
Apologies, Richard, I misunderstood you and totally agree with the point you were making. No harm done, I hope :)

I hope so, but at the same time, I hope a few of them never find this place, there are one or two rather toxic people and one mod who really didn't deserve to be a mod.

It's actually one of the reasons I joined here last year, the site was good, but the forums were getting toxic.
For sure I noticed some keyboard warrior types and I think I know of the mod you are referring to......none too non-partisan based on some crits he attracted :thinking: :thinking::thinking:

IMO the moderation here at TP is firm but fair and resolute in action as/when deemed appropriate.

PS in some situations controversy can stimulate (healthy) debate but there is of course the 'ignore' button......which I have in use currently only the once!

Last edited:
To Save its Content, Archive Team is Attempting to Back Up All of DPReview

'Following yesterday’s news that DPReview is shutting down, photographers around the web began wondering what would happen to its huge library of articles, reviews, and camera test images, including the website’s excellent studio shot comparison tool'

#photography #DPReview

I hope so, but at the same time, I hope a few of them never find this place, there are one or two rather toxic people and one mod who really didn't deserve to be a mod.
As my fellow admin said, below.
I was never a member so I have no idea who you mean.
Everyone starts with a clean sheet here.

All are welcome, so long as they play nicely and are genuinely interested

IMO the moderation here at TP is firm but fair
We hope so,

Oh dear that is bad news. I read reviews on there quite often so I'll miss the place.

Last edited:
Back