DP Review to close

Losing all those reviews from the internet (if that does eventually happen) feels like such a massive waste. Videos etc I understand, but the camera reviews are an absolutely incredible resource going back years.

The product shots and spec lists are my go-to (our friend Ken is also super at this) whenever considering second hand gear.

Last edited:
I'm gutted. TP and DPR are my go to forums and I also post regularly in the DPR Documentary & Street forum. I was shocked of the sudden news that they're closing. I really hope someone can take over and save the forums.

Here's a thought.

If you have any friends on DPR's forum why not invite them to come over to our forum?

I am sure their are some looking for a new home for the coming decades.
Yep, I've done that with one friend from DPR and he says he thinks he'll join here. He told me he's looking for new 'digs'. :D

That's good news. (y) There is this bit in the article though that makes it unclear as to the permanency of their archives.

"In light of today’s announcement, it appears that external archiving may be unnecessary. However, DPReview’s original article about its closure still includes text stating that the website “will be available in read-only mode for a limited period afterwards,” leaving space for some speculation. This remains a developing story."

The Way Back machine can't cope with dynamic databases.
I wonder why not?

Several years ago, I was on quality assurance for a government job that ran off a database. Well into the project, it was suddenly realised that the data had to be archived in a human readable form for legal reasons. It was simple to alter one of the open source scrapers to trawl the site, converting each link to static and archiving the generated HTML into a dynamically created dirctory tree. I wasn't involved in the coding but it only took a few days to do the rewrite and get it through testing.

Once the job was written, it would archive a 1 TB version in a few hours.

Last edited:
Not really.

Peta = 10 (15) or one quadrillion

Pixel = what it says on the tin.
I know what it is. It's just how I choose to hear it sometimes. it amuses me to imagine patting a pixie on the head.

Last edited:
All sounds a bit dodgy to me...

Tickling the invisible ones under the chin, is always risky, I never know if they are 12" or 24".
Like the man who met a leprechaun and, without making himself clear with the wish he was given, ended up with a foot-high pixie playing the piano.

Last edited:
Tickling the invisible ones under the chin, is always risky, I never know if they are 12" or 24".

No need to worry if they're normal pixies but beware of the kilapixies. Their larger cousins (megapixies) are as harmless (mostly...) as the normal ones and the bigger ones just giggle.

Not perfect but probably the best outcome, for a very useful review site. It will give it an opportunity to review and perhaps improve itself still further in a changing world. It would be strange indeed if the new owners did not have some input into the process.

I received an email yesterday titled "DPReview is Here to Stay". Hopefully the purchase by Gear Patrol will secure their future.

Back