weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

I'm loving this (y)

just put it on the big screen an turned the light out (scared the crap out of me :LOL:)

Thanks .... hubble bubble toil and trouble :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Glad you like the image and it had such an impact on you :D

Cheers

Witchie D ;)

I'm really liking your Week two Dawn, I have a few ideas but I am really not sure which to go for.

Matt
MWHCVT

Thank you Matt, I am sure you will come up with something cool, judging by the pics I have seen on your Flickr.

Cheers

D :)

Bring on week 3, I can't wait to see what the next theme is going to be :)

Thanks to all who have given valuable comments and crique on my first two weeks. I have learned so much in the last fortnight.

Well done to everyone who is taking part, there have been some fantastic photos with very creative thinking.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Totally eerie and creepy image Dawn - reminds me of the mother-in-law, she's got a broom like that :LOL:

Simon.

Hi Dawn,
week 2 and you've produced a great result again. Love the background and think the lighting effect is really good. It has created a spooky atmosphere and i really like it.
Well done
Regards
Ceri

Totally eerie and creepy image Dawn - reminds me of the mother-in-law, she's got a broom like that :LOL:

Simon.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks Simon, just the image I was trying to create.

Better watch out for your MIL then :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn,
week 2 and you've produced a great result again. Love the background and think the lighting effect is really good. It has created a spooky atmosphere and i really like it.
Well done
Regards
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Now I am looking forward to week 3.

Cheers

Great picture really like the feel of it, very creepy.

Love the use of the room divider and the back but agree about the hinge but then i only really notice after reading the other posts.

Big fan of your week one too, great shot.

Now must get on with my week 2.

Looking forward to seeing your next week.

Niki

Great picture really like the feel of it, very creepy.

Love the use of the room divider and the back but agree about the hinge but then i only really notice after reading the other posts.

Big fan of your week one too, great shot.

Now must get on with my week 2.

Looking forward to seeing your next week.

Niki

Hiya Niki

Thanks for the comments. Those room dividers have come in handy this week, and to think I was going to get rid of them last month. I have three sets of them, so 9 panels, enough to spread out if I need more room for a photo setting. Think they will come in handy too for hanging other backdrops on, so they won't be going anywhere near the tip now.

I will, however remember about the hinges now. It's amazing how, once it is pointed out, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Good luck with your 52 also, will keep popping in to see how you are getting on.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, you have a great creative imagination - I think I'm just going to copy what you do the week after;)

Week 2 is also an arresting image. Good colours and lighting. A "scary" pic with a dash of humour. Really good use of props.

Patrick

Hi Dawn, you have a great creative imagination - I think I'm just going to copy what you do the week after;)

Week 2 is also an arresting image. Good colours and lighting. A "scary" pic with a dash of humour. Really good use of props.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the compliment and comments on my image. Having a creative imagination does help, although sometimes I have to really think hard about some subjects. No doubt there are going to be some weeks where I find it difficult to come up with something original, but I am going to do my best to try to maintain the creativity.

I have seen your latest image and left feedback.

I think the standard of photos so far in this 52 have been great and the way people are interpreting the themes is inspiring.

Cheers

nice one dawn (y) good take on the theme ..another good shot look forward to see your next triumph ..well done ..god I will need to get my act together :D

nice one dawn (y) good take on the theme ..another good shot look forward to see your next triumph ..well done ..god I will need to get my act together :D

Hiya James,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I hope I can maintain the standard I have set for myself. Looking forward to finding out what the next theme is so I can get my thinking cap on.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for your 52 too. Good Luck!

Cheers

Hi Dawn, I love both shots do far. Week 2 is great, very spooky! You're very creative and I,ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with each week.

Hi Dawn, I love both shots do far. Week 2 is great, very spooky! You're very creative and I,ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with each week.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback and compliments.

Since December I seem to have developed a sudden burst of creativity, not that I haven't always had a creative mind, but it is even more pronounced now. I think taking on the 52 challenge and doing a personal 365 is giving me the motivation. I just hope it lasts :D

I look forward to seeing what you think of the other images and ideas I come up with and I will also be following your 52.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, I think the idea, composition and setup are brill for your week 2 especially the background screens, not keen on the processing though sorry as it seems to have leeched some of the sharpness away from the image.

All the best, Tommy. (y)

Hi Dawn, I think the idea, composition and setup are brill for your week 2 especially the background screens, not keen on the processing though sorry as it seems to have leeched some of the sharpness away from the image.

All the best, Tommy. (y)

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the comments and critique, much appreciated. I appreciate what you are saying about the processing leeching some of the sharpness from the image, that was actually intentional as I wanted to create a bit more of a mystical appeal and felt that the image itself being sharp lost that effect, but I understand what you mean.

I will bear that in mind for next time.

Cheers

Amazing shot Dawn. Love the colours and processing they work really well and a very original take on the theme.

Amazing shot Dawn. Love the colours and processing they work really well and a very original take on the theme.

Thanks Joan for the comments (y)

Cheers

Dawn,

Had to return the compliments :naughty:

I love No1, it's amazing to see how diverse the subject matter is becoming when all we get is ONE word.

Again No2 is a great shot & defo thinking outside the box as you say. I think as the weeks go on, these type of shots will inspire people to think long & hard.

One question.........as a lady, do you think of an idea & then explore 200+ different ones all week then return to the first idea you had :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mick

Wow I could have sworn I'd already commented but obviously not? Sorry Dawn!

Week 2 - I love the composition and the backlighting, would have like to have seen a touch more definition on the broom but it still works regardless. Definately gives a very haunting feel to it.

Can't wait to see Week 3!

Dawn,

Had to return the compliments :naughty:

I love No1, it's amazing to see how diverse the subject matter is becoming when all we get is ONE word.

Again No2 is a great shot & defo thinking outside the box as you say. I think as the weeks go on, these type of shots will inspire people to think long & hard.

One question.........as a lady, do you think of an idea & then explore 200+ different ones all week then return to the first idea you had :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mick

Hiya Mick,

Thanks for you comments and compliments. Indeed, it is amazing to see the diversity of thinking from one word, and very inspiring. I can't believe we have just completed week 2 and already I have learned so much. Thanks everyone!!!

:LOL: about your 'lady' question .... I try to turn my image around in two to three days, so don't have all week to think of 200+ ideas, but have to say I have an extremely over-active imagination and I normally process most of my thoughts and ideas whilst I am sleeping. If not they come to me while I am multi-tasking, something us ladies are quite good at doing :p (no disrespect intended :D)

Cheers

Wow I could have sworn I'd already commented but obviously not? Sorry Dawn!

Week 2 - I love the composition and the backlighting, would have like to have seen a touch more definition on the broom but it still works regardless. Definately gives a very haunting feel to it.

Can't wait to see Week 3!

Hiya Caleb,

No probs and thanks for popping past to comment on my week 2. After looking at the image a few times now, I have to agree with you about the definition of the broom. Because the broom is about 6ft tall, I was battling to get the focus without loosing the length which I think adds to the image.

I'm actually contemplating a re-shoot (perhaps when one of the re-shoot cards are drawn), that is if I don't do it before then in prep for the re-shoot draw card. This time I am going to try and be in the pic, a bit of a selfy, so I will be able to position the broom at a different angle and hopefully get more detail. So watch this space.

I can't wait now to find out what week 3 is going to be....

Good luck with your 52.

Cheers

Week 1, sorry my bad for not commenting earlier, I looked at it and thought what a simple but great take on the subject, execution, definition and dof are in my eyes spot on, have to say though I do personally prefer the first version, its just how I put my glasses down.

Week 2, I'm so glad the outfit is in the picture as if its as good in real life I'd be looking for a couch to hide behing, the lighting, colours and detail really bring it to like, even allowing some of the texture and detail of the dress to be seen without it being the main focus, and a great take on the weeks subject.

Week 1, sorry my bad for not commenting earlier, I looked at it and thought what a simple but great take on the subject, execution, definition and dof are in my eyes spot on, have to say though I do personally prefer the first version, its just how I put my glasses down.

Week 2, I'm so glad the outfit is in the picture as if its as good in real life I'd be looking for a couch to hide behing, the lighting, colours and detail really bring it to like, even allowing some of the texture and detail of the dress to be seen without it being the main focus, and a great take on the weeks subject.

Hiya Gary,

Thanks for the comments, and don't worry about not commenting earlier, there are so many of us taking part in the 52 it seems almost impossible to keep up with everyone :D

I'm glad you like the first image in week 1, because of the way you put your glasses down, as that is exactly what I had in mind when I was putting the setup together.

:LOL: about your comment about the couch in your week 2 comment .... you may just need it if I do go with a re-shoot of this one :D

You have made some very valuable comments and for that I appreciate.

Cheers

It's really a lovely image Dawn. I like the idea of New being a new process for you and I too love to "have a go" in lightroom and PS. The light from behind leaving it an "almost" silhouette (sp?) is very effective and the composition is spot on.

Today I cooked a "new" recipe for me and as it was really bright and colourful, I had it bookmarked for this weeks photo. We ate it, to much applause :) and I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to photograph it for this weeks pick :LOL:

It's really a lovely image Dawn. I like the idea of New being a new process for you and I too love to "have a go" in lightroom and PS. The light from behind leaving it an "almost" silhouette (sp?) is very effective and the composition is spot on.

Today I cooked a "new" recipe for me and as it was really bright and colourful, I had it bookmarked for this weeks photo. We ate it, to much applause :) and I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to photograph it for this weeks pick :LOL:

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for your comments. I am hopefully going to learn a lot more about post processing by doing this 52. I don't want to get into the habit of using it for all photos, but then again, one has to admit that the DSLR can't always achieve the effect or image one wants to creat, but is certainly important for the groundwork (as is evident in some of the photos I have recently produced in my 365 - link in siggy).

BTW your spelling is correct, so no worries, there, besides I would have known what you were referring to :)

Sorry to hear you 'ate' your 'photograph' :LOL: Hope you had a contingency plan :D

Cheers

Hiya all,

Just popping past to say that I am so looking forward to the theme of Style for week 3. My poor little brain is in overdrive and I have so many ideas buzzing about at the mo, and am going to be taking on a very big challenge for this week. So watch this space ..... if it appears I have gone quite, it is because I am working on the image.

I just hope I can pull this one off .... getting the ideas I have into a final product is a challenge, but I am so enjoying putting it all together and started work on it yesterday. I think this could take a few days to produce, and hope to have the image finalised soon.

Just want to say a quick thanks to everyone who has supported my 52 so far. This and my 365 is defo taking up most of my very limited 'spare' time, not to mention that I seem to be committing some time to a couple of other projects too.

The encouragement is valuable and the feedback great.

Watch this space for Week 3!

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Finally got around to dropping in - and an absolutely fantastic start :clap:

Great idea for week 1, and I'm torn between the 2 edits.
I prefer the first one for the composition, the natural position of the glasses and the way that it fills the frame.
However, the second one has "accommodation" in better focus and I love the warm tones in it. In comparison to this version, the first edit feels a little cold, and the correct WB version seems to be lacking something.
But don't worry I'm not going to suggest that you do another reshoot to get the best of both worlds :LOL:

That is an absolutely fantastic dress in the second image. :love: Just beautiful.
Love the concept behind this, love the PP and it's a brilliant use of the room divider. :clap:
As Dave suggested I would have been tempted to tape off the back of the screen to remove those 2 strips of light, but that's not a huge problem.
I'm also wondering of there was any way that you could have raised the hat a little higher so that it was in more of a natural head position? Again, only a little niggle but I think it would have added a little extra something to it.

I'm intrigued to see what you have planned for week 3.

:LOL: Thanks Caleb, that is just too precious and very encouraging, much appreciated, as I think I may just need that for the personal challenge I have set for myself this week :D I can't let you on into too much of my thinking, but I hope it works out well and that I succeed with it. A big project for me indeed and I hope I can produce what I have in mind.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Finally got around to dropping in - and an absolutely fantastic start :clap:

Great idea for week 1, and I'm torn between the 2 edits.
I prefer the first one for the composition, the natural position of the glasses and the way that it fills the frame.
However, the second one has "accommodation" in better focus and I love the warm tones in it. In comparison to this version, the first edit feels a little cold, and the correct WB version seems to be lacking something.
But don't worry I'm not going to suggest that you do another reshoot to get the best of both worlds :LOL:

That is an absolutely fantastic dress in the second image. :love: Just beautiful.
Love the concept behind this, love the PP and it's a brilliant use of the room divider. :clap:
As Dave suggested I would have been tempted to tape off the back of the screen to remove those 2 strips of light, but that's not a huge problem.
I'm also wondering of there was any way that you could have raised the hat a little higher so that it was in more of a natural head position? Again, only a little niggle but I think it would have added a little extra something to it.

I'm intrigued to see what you have planned for week 3.

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for dropping by to check on my progress and for leaving valuable comments and critique, much appreached (y)

Oh believe me you have to see the dress in person to fully appreciate what a fantastic garment it is.

It is amazing the things I have learned from the first 2 weeks, all of which I will take into consideration as I progress through this 52. The room dividers have since become a perm fixture in my lounge, as they are so versitile and I think they are one of the best purchases I made 20 years ago (talk about renew, recycle, reuse!)

You say you are intrigued to see what I come up with for this week..... well all I can say is that I hope my idea pans out and technically I can achieve it as I think this is going to be the biggest challenge for moi and if I can pull it off I think I may just be onto something with the concept :D

So I say with much aprehension, watch this space :D

It could take me about 3 days to put the whole thing together, and I hope it works. I have already started on some of the groundwork.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers

Last edited:
Week 2 is so unique and spooky. Especially due to the darkness in the photo ! Love it :)

Hiya Charlotte,

Thank you for your comments and glad it had an imact on you ;)

Hope I can maintain the level of enthusiams with my ideas and take on Week 3, which is currently a work in progress, so please watch this space :D

Cheers

the processing on 'new' is fantastic. I've my work cut out if I'm ever going to get to that sort of standard!!

really well done! (y)

Hiya Nick,

Thanks for the compliment. Believe me it takes a lot of patience and much effort :LOL:

I have a plan for week 3, have done the initial shoot tonight and just going to see what results I have achieved. Depending what I have, may do a few tweeks tomorrow and hopefully get the final product, unless it is a total blotch, in which case I will have to kybosh the idea and start again.

But then again I suppose that is what learning is all about.

Cheers

Back