DSLR Boot Camp Thread: discussion and posting

I was trying to have a quick go with some still life earlier, but had to give up. I scattered some M&Ms on a white plate just to have a play around, but I realised then that when my brother borrowed my camera over the weekend he didn't charge the battery, and then my cats decided that it would be fun to jump up onto the table and flcik the sweets off the plate to chase them around the room. :bonk:
In the end I decided the best idea would be to put the battery on charge and eat the sweets! :LOL:
Hopefully I'll have better luck next time!

Got my email today, haven't yet watched the videos, although after looking at some of the pics on flickr I'm suddenly feeling very inadequate, everyone is sooo good.

Molly47 said:
although after looking at some of the pics on flickr I'm suddenly feeling very inadequate, everyone is sooo good.

Sometimes it's best not to look!

I've just read the thread, I have seen the list so need to get myself added!

As for backgrounds I've suddenly discovered infinity curves, never tried one though! I'm hoping by shooting in Macro I can get away with a sheet of A4 paper!

My problem is living in a Basement flat we tend not to get too much natural light!

I am hoping for blue sky and fluffy clouds for the weekend to capture my idea outside. :whistle:

Postie has just been.....NO magazine. I've checked my emails and my subscription was confirmed.

May as well as not subscribed and just picked it up from Tesco's, at least no waiting then.

Good news is I got my email from Bootcamp.

JOD.

I would phone them up JOD and complain, I have had my mag for 3 days now. Are you in a rural area? Even if you are it should make no difference to the Royal Mail if they were all despatched at the same time it should take 2 days max to be received.

I would phone them up JOD and complain, I have had my mag for 3 days now. Are you in a rural area? Even if you are it should make no difference to the Royal Mail if they were all despatched at the same time it should take 2 days max to be received.

I have rang and spoke to Roxanne ..... great customer service. They will move my subscription on a month and I will get this months at tesco tonight....sorted.

JOD.

What is the first challenge? I haven't got the mag yet, so don't know what it is. I received the first email, which I'm having a go at the metering exercise but as I have no hessian and no peas, so mine will be lace and skittles I think Haha well at least I can eat the skittles afterwards to console myself about the crappy pic :LOL:

Thought I might give this a try last weekend and signed up ... But I am still waiting for my email .... :cautious:

Could someone pm me a copy of their email or post it in this thread please?

I have rang and spoke to Roxanne ..... great customer service. They will move my subscription on a month and I will get this months at tesco tonight....sorted.

JOD.

It's always good if you get a customer service rep that's very good at their job. Nice outcome, you never know the other other mag may also still turn up.

Got the mag yesterday. Only skimmed through it so far ... :bonk:

Same here. Although probably for different reasons. I started getting really bored with practical photography mag about 6 months into my subscription (11 months in now). Only carried it on to do this course thingy. Will be promptly ending it in september i think :D

Will be picking up my copy from WH Smith tomorrow as I missed the cutoff for getting it delivered.

signed up for the course and joined the flickr group too. Now........I just have to dust off the camera and take some pics.....

Ooh, just found out one of my shots is photo of the day on their website :) lucky really, I only signed up on there for the bootcamp :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using TP Forums

i have mag and emails, had a quick scan - looks really interesting tbh, but I am up against a college deadline - I think I am going to dig out my 15 year olds lego train sets and play with them, Ihavent seen them since he was about 8 they are in exh house, ot I have been itching to play with an allium/star gazer lily and ink perhaps, decisions decisions.

Hi, I'm new here :wave:

Is it OK if i join the fun? I'm about to join the flickr page too :crowded:

It just has a link to the videos in, think you can find it on the website http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Bootcamp/Bootcamp-Module-1-Videos/?id=6589

Have you had the mag yet?

Thanks heaps for that. I didn't receive my email(s). They said they would post the video urls on the confirmation page... I cant see it there!

When is the homework deadline? I did'nt spot that information in the mag!

After seeing mich66's great snaps on flickr i'll be off the Stationery Box at lunchtime for some coloured pencils.

Although I do like gothgirls idea of using skittles for a bit of colour...... as you can always eat them when you're done! :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here :wave:

Is it OK if i join the fun? I'm about to join the flickr page too :crowded:

Thanks heaps for that. I didn't receive my email(s). They said they would post the video urls on the confirmation page... I cant see it there!

When is the homework deadline? I did'nt spot that information in the mag!

I remember reading in the mag that the 13th April is the deadline for C&C, not sure what the true deadline for entry is though.

After seeing mich66's great snaps on flickr i'll be off the Stationery Box at lunchtime for some coloured pencils.

Although I do like gothgirls idea of using skittles for a bit of colour...... as you can always eat them when you're done! :LOL:

have had my monies worth from those pencils.. they've been snapped many times but never been used to draw with :)

was happy with one of them on black so used that for my homework upload

have had my monies worth from those pencils.. they've been snapped many times but never been used to draw with :)

was happy with one of them on black so used that for my homework upload

Pencils and Skittles purchased...... Photo Tent has just arrived, thank you eBay...... I could be ready to make a start! :D

(this where reality kicks in) :thinking:

im at work

whats the 1st challenge?

Not got magazine to hand, so don't quote me. But a still (colourful) object on either light or dark background and see how using exposure controls change the image.

Example in mag is some Runner Beans? laid on a Hessian cloth on a table. (apologies if wrong, but Veg & short-term memory is not my strong point). Shot taken hand held in natural light.

I'm sure there's a little more to it than that, but I think that's the basic premise.

Last edited:
I phoned up today to ask where my mag had got to , only to be told it would be approx 10 days as they have run out , and i ordered it when the offer 1st came out ..:bang:

Last edited:
I phoned up today to ask where my mag had got to , only to be told it would be approx 10 days as they have run out , and i ordered it when the offer 1st came out ..:bang:

They've run out :eek:

Ye Gods, this bootcamp must be popular.

Think I've got an idea that'll work. Sorry for the daft question but how do you upload your homework?

Andy

Upload when you've decided on your best to the bootcamp site: http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Competitions/BOOTCAMP-DSLR-SKILLS-2011-MODULE-1/Competition/?id=6592

Alternatively, put them up on your flickr page and then into the bootcamp group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/dslrbootcamp2011/ to get some critique etc before you take the plunge with your best.

Looking forward to this! Is that sad?

Not really, you're probably like me, you need something like this to either a) get your backside in gear or b)give you some ideas what to shoot.

I'm definitinely b as I no creativity whatsoever. :(

I agree with Jovialjester, think of all the other people who are even more sad because they won't be able to produce outstanding pics. (y)

I think the deadline for homework is 14th April.

The homework is a dark object on a white background or a light object on a dark background. It's about bracketing exposure to make the white white or the black black, if that makes sense?
I've not watched the first video but I think the peas on hessian is just an example of using lighting. The homework is about using natural light with a reflector for shadows.

My first attempt the black t shirt looked blue! But a quick trip to hobbycraft for some black and white card has helped.

Oh some of your photos on Flickr are just too good! My account is still in need of attention.

I have just signed up today the subscription offer link seems to be broken...or is it me?

this is the only offer on at the moment as far as I know
"SAVE 30% when you subscribe to Practical Photography today!

Practical Photography brings you inspiration, useful advice and tips on how to take better pictures every month. Each issue is packed with essential camera know-how, digital post-production skills, practical techniques to try and trustworthy buying advice.

Plus, subscribe today and not only wil you receive free delivery straight to your door, you will also save 30% off the cover price - that`s a saving of over £16 throughout the year!

Or if you are not familiar with Practical Photography then why not try the next 3 issues for just £3 - That`s a saving over £8 off the cover price.

Trial subscriptions for only £3 are payable by direct debit and are UK only. Without notice your subscription will continue with £11.97 taken every 3 months by direct debit. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer."

Back