DXO PhotoLab 5 issue

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I quite frequently use the Perspective Tool and Force Parallel.
Up until recently the parallel lines always defaulted to vertical lines, which is what I want, however recently the default is horizontal!
Can't recall doing anything but can anyone advise a way of resolving this and getting back to Force Parallel being vertical lines please?

TIA

I only have PhotoLab 6 now, but in that, if you go to the options in the menu on the right hand side, there is a box to click for advanced settings (bottom right of the perspective tool) - perhaps something in there will help set the defaults. Screen shots below - perhaps you changed the auto mode? It can be verticals only or horizontals only, or auto both.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 21.58.03.pngScreenshot 2023-03-21 at 21.57.50.png

Last edited:
I thought you might have come to my rescue there Bepop but sadly all settings still result in horizontal rather than vertical. :(
(Never even noticed Advanced Settings before, the text and markings are so indistinct in PL5).

I thought you might have come to my rescue there Bepop but sadly all settings still result in horizontal rather than vertical. :(
(Never even noticed Advanced Settings before, the text and markings are so indistinct in PL5).
I hadn't noticed the advanced bit before either. I didn't realise you could 'auto' do it.

(This is in version 6). If I go into the parallel tool and it is showing them vertical. I can draw two horizontal ones in. If I then press close, next time I go into the tool it remains on two horizontal ones. It appears to go back to what you last used, so if you need them vertical try drawing them in as you wish. When you press close, hopefully next time it should default to vertical.

I hadn't noticed the advanced bit before either. I didn't realise you could 'auto' do it.

(This is in version 6). If I go into the parallel tool and it is showing them vertical. I can draw two horizontal ones in. If I then press close, next time I go into the tool it remains on two horizontal ones. It appears to go back to what you last used, so if you need them vertical try drawing them in as you wish. When you press close, hopefully next time it should default to vertical.
Sadly not for me but thanks ever so much for trying to help. :)

Hi @gramps are you 100% sure you haven't bought Viewpoint in the past or received it as part of a bundle?

Maybe it's me but my copy of PL5 Elie on Mac has no way of doing what you want without the Viewpoint License.

Basic elements of Viewpoint have been added to PL6 however regardless of having a license for Viewpoint.

The only mention to perspective and forcing parallels in the manual are in relation to having access to Viewpoint...

Do you have this toolbar?

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 17.24.57.png

If so, note the red text. If not can you screenshot which 'tool' you are using and I will dig deeper on mine but as it stands I'm not sure in regards to PL5 which tool you are using.

Assuming you are using Mac (I imagine Win similar) if you click DxO Photolab 5 at the top a click 'About DxO Photolab...' it will show you what licences are installed.

Failing that I'm not sure sorry.

Hi @gramps are you 100% sure you haven't bought Viewpoint in the past or received it as part of a bundle?

Maybe it's me but my copy of PL5 Elie on Mac has no way of doing what you want without the Viewpoint License.

Basic elements of Viewpoint have been added to PL6 however regardless of having a license for Viewpoint.

The only mention to perspective and forcing parallels in the manual are in relation to having access to Viewpoint...

Do you have this toolbar?

View attachment 384567

If so, note the red text. If not can you screenshot which 'tool' you are using and I will dig deeper on mine but as it stands I'm not sure in regards to PL5 which tool you are using.

Assuming you are using Mac (I imagine Win similar) if you click DxO Photolab 5 at the top a click 'About DxO Photolab...' it will show you what licences are installed.

Failing that I'm not sure sorry.

Thanks Rob - I don't have Viewpoint, though I do have Perspective Efex.
I only have PhotoLab 5 licensed.

I am using the following pallette:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 17.40.34.png

It has only changed in the last week, prior to this it has been okay for ages and ages.

View attachment 384572

It has only changed in the last week, prior to this it has been okay for ages and ages.
Have you tried changing the auto mode to Vertical only or is it not there?

Edit - Sorry, just seen it's in Bebop's post, I'll leave ;)

Last edited:

View attachment 384572

That’ll be it then. The standard range of options are as…

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 17.55.38.png
I wasn’t aware Nik Collection integrated into PL like that but the options you are seeing must be because of the Perspective Efex.

I only had Nik 2 and that has long since stopped working for me.

Might be worth creating an account and asking on…

If you haven’t already. Plenty of very clues up bods on there.

Sorry can’t be more help. Hope you sort it.

That’ll be it then. The standard range of options are as…

View attachment 384574
I wasn’t aware Nik Collection integrated into PL like that but the options you are seeing must be because of the Perspective Efex.

I only had Nik 2 and that has long since stopped working for me.

Might be worth creating an account and asking on…

If you haven’t already. Plenty of very clues up bods on there.

Sorry can’t be more help. Hope you sort it.

Thanks Rob, appreciate your help. :)

Sorry, not able to help with your issue as I did buy Viewpoint some time ago. I thought I would weigh in as earlier today I had a reply from support that I submitted 6 days ago. DXO used to be pretty responsive but not only their reply took ages and even then they didn’t bother answering my question. I wanted to export ppi not dpi but that seems to be an option on PC not Mac - their solution was that I really should use dpi.

Sorry, not able to help with your issue as I did buy Viewpoint some time ago. I thought I would weigh in as earlier today I had a reply from support that I submitted 6 days ago. DXO used to be pretty responsive but not only their reply took ages and even then they didn’t bother answering my question. I wanted to export ppi not dpi but that seems to be an option on PC not Mac - their solution was that I really should use dpi.
Yeah last time I asked a question of support I eventually got a reply after about 9 months!

@gramps It is strange that it should change if you haven't had any updates. Is it worth trying to go into Perspective Efex in case there is some default setting there? I mean by clicking on the Nik Collection button in the bottom right, rather than using the toolbar.

@gramps It is strange that it should change if you haven't had any updates. Is it worth trying to go into Perspective Efex in case there is some default setting there? I mean by clicking on the Nik Collection button in the bottom right, rather than using the toolbar.
Thanks for continuing to help @Bebop
I used both my Ricoh GR III and my Leica Q yesterday and when processing the photos realised that it was only happening with the Ricoh files!
Loading a Leica file the lines were vertical but with a Ricoh file they were horizontal, so I am now assuming that it isn't a PhotoLab problem but rather a setting on the Ricoh ... the plot thickens. :thinking:

@Bebop It was an issue with a setting in my Ricoh GR III - 'Force Horizon Correction was set to 'off', now resolved. (y)

Glad you're sorted! I've just been on a parallel wild goose chase to do with my computer & finally solved it after going round the houses.

About DxO support, earlier this year I had a query answered satisfactorily in 2 or 3 days.

About DxO support, earlier this year I had a query answered satisfactorily in 2 or 3 days.
Maybe because I don't auto-upgrade, or maybe just one of those things that it didn't work for me. :)

Back