E-Cigarettes

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Anyone here using e-cigarettes? If so, any recommendations for devices and/or e-liquids?

I noticed my local supermarket had disposable "Gamucci" brand e-cigs the other day, so I bought one on a whim. I didn't like the taste much (too sweet) and it doesn't produce enough vapour for me, but I'm impressed with the concept. I've been smoking for over 30 years and, as of today, I haven't had a real smoke since Saturday.

Looking on t'interweb, there's a baffling array of different devices and liquids to choose from. Would anyone care to suggest where I should start, or perhaps what I should avoid?

Well done on not smoking since Saturday.

After that length of time your body will be pretty much free of nicotine so I would probably avoid anything that will re-introduce it to your system. The chemical withdrawal should also have peaked which means you're over the hardest part.

I quit back in November and initially bought one of these: http://www.e-lites.co.uk/e30-instant-use-electronic-cigarette.html

The charge ran out after about the equivalent of 30 cigs and I didn't bother replacing it, it didn't 'satisfy' the same way as a cig would. To be honest, I don't think any of the other options would have either for me as I knew it wasn't the real thing. The psychological battle is harder than the physical one with cigs IMO

Good luck

Last edited:
I use skycig and top up the filters with juice from paradise vape uk, much cheaper than to keep buying the filters.
Last week I ordered the new E lites kit.. What a complete waste of money, I get more vape from myself after a good curry!
Have tried numerous different ones and nothing I have found matches skycig for vape and throat hit.

Martyn D said:
I use skycig and top up the filters with juice from paradise vape uk, much cheaper than to keep buying the filters.
Last week I ordered the new E lites kit.. What a complete waste of money, I get more vape from myself after a good curry!
Have tried numerous different ones and nothing I have found matches skycig for vape and throat hit.

Cheers for that Martyn. I've seen skycigs and will put them on my list of possibles.

I should probably clarify, I'm not looking to give up nicotine, just looking for a better/healthier delivery method.

You can choose your levels of nicotine, and flavour eg Bensons, Mayfair etc by buying the E juice... Have a look on paradise vape uk (y)

I should probably clarify, I'm not looking to give up nicotine, just looking for a better/healthier delivery method.

My missus smoked very heavily for years, so much so it was starting to make her ill. She tried all sorts of flavours of electric ciggies, but they just did not do it for her. I have a few friends that used them also, they soon packed them in as they found the did nothing for them.

My missus finally gave up after reading Allen Carr's quit smoking book, she got the book off her friend who stopped smoking using the book.

My missus did have a little lapse back on the ciggies, but she re-read the book and she is off them now, hopefully for good. The book does explain that if you should feel the urge to re start smoking, simply pick the book back up, and it soon gets you back on track.

I know you said you were not giving up, but just a little something to note should you ever want to stop ;)

My missus smoked very heavily for years, so much so it was starting to make her ill. She tried all sorts of flavours of electric ciggies, but they just did not do it for her. I have a few friends that used them also, they soon packed them in as they found the did nothing for them.

My missus finally gave up after reading Allen Carr's quit smoking book, she got the book off her friend who stopped smoking using the book.

My missus did have a little lapse back on the ciggies, but she re-read the book and she is off them now, hopefully for good. The book does explain that if you should feel the urge to re start smoking, simply pick the book back up, and it soon gets you back on track.

I know you said you were not giving up, but just a little something to note should you ever want to stop ;)

I have several friends who are off the cigs using only this book and they have raved about it. Spooky.

I have several friends who are off the cigs using only this book and they have raved about it. Spooky.

My missus loves her books and she does read a great deal, after reading a book she will give her verdict if a book was a good read or not. She now tells people who say they want to stop smoking, to simply read the Allen Carr quit smoking book.

Her mates that did read the book have stopped smoking, while the ones who could not be bothered even reading the book are still smoking. I suppose you have to want to to stop in the first place, and put the effort in.

I am happy my missus has stopped smoking, as it was not nice listening to her coughing and spluttering first thing in the morning. Our clothes and our house no longer smell horrible either.

Martyn D said:
You can choose your levels of nicotine, and flavour eg Bensons, Mayfair etc by buying the E juice... Have a look on paradise vape uk (y)

I'm quite liking the sound of a variable voltage e-cig, like the iTaste, for greater flexibility and control.

I don't think I've seen Paradise Vape yet so thanks for that tip. I expect I'll need to try a few different liquids and strengths before settling on one. These Gamucci disposables are 1.6mg and they're a bit too weak for me.

Just give up smoking altogether instead of looking for the soft option of a replacement. Giving up is easy, I've done it loads of times.:cool:

my other half was on and off with the cig-a-like type for about 18 months, switched to the type with a tank, rechargable battery etc that dont look like a cigarette in january and has only had approx 10 fags in that time, he feels an awful lot healthier, and can walk a lot further than before. hes on this forum http://ukvapers.org/ and has found it to be really helpful, esp when you look into it properly and realise just how many different devices there really are!

I'm quite liking the sound of a variable voltage e-cig, like the iTaste, for greater flexibility and control.

I don't think I've seen Paradise Vape yet so thanks for that tip. I expect I'll need to try a few different liquids and strengths before settling on one. These Gamucci disposables are 1.6mg and they're a bit too weak for me.

I've got the itaste - it delivers a proper throat burn, but it's a massive piece of kit (about the size of 2 cigs end to end). I tend to smoke that in the house, and use an E-lites one during my work day for convenience, and so I don't look like an extra from star wars!?

I have read the Allen Carr book, and also had hypnotherapy, and after both gave up for a short while. And then eventually something stressful happens, and I start again.
I have been using e-cigs for just over a year and have not had a real cig in that time.
I've tried Freedom (didn't like them, very flimsy).
E-Lites - fine
settled on VIP (similar pretty much to E-Lites, but cheaper cartridges).

panther_87k said:
my other half was on and off with the cig-a-like type for about 18 months, switched to the type with a tank, rechargable battery etc that dont look like a cigarette in january and has only had approx 10 fags in that time, he feels an awful lot healthier, and can walk a lot further than before. hes on this forum http://ukvapers.org/ and has found it to be really helpful, esp when you look into it properly and realise just how many different devices there really are!

That's a great forum. Cheers for the link.

Been on the e-cigs for 3 months now :) From smoking 20-30 a day. I didn't find it hard at all, no change of moods etc.

Started off on skycig now I just use liquid from a local shop to refill the filters. One of my favourites is After Eight. Mmm :love:

my wife started using one of the e cigs about a month ago she went from 40+ a day to zero overnight and hasn't had a proper cig since
for my wife thats an amazing achievement because she really was a heavy smoker

my only concern is about the vapor oils, sooner or later we are going to see a mass influx of cheap oil from the likes of the far east with no clue whats in em
hopefully there will be some proper regulation brought into effect soon i don't think it will stop dodgy imported stuff but at least if you get it from reputable outlets you may stand a chance of not doing yourself more harm than good

i have one myself but i still smoke but it has cut me down
i plan on weening myself of tobacco eventually i still can't get over my wife quitting instantly

I read a couple of days ago that there are some states in America where they're banned. The FDA couldn't approve the stuff in them apparently.

But like Mark's wife, I stopped instantly. My mum was also a 40+ a day smoker for about 35+ years and she too quit instantly. It's been over 6 months for her! Both of us started on Skycig and I've just recently moved onto the liquid purely because it's cheaper and I found skycigs equipment very poorly made; the charging cases in particular. I'm on my 4th in 3 months. But they worked that well for me that I stuck with them anyway.

The big test for me was my first drink after going onto the e-cig. My smoking always went sky high when I was having a drink.. it wasn't until about 4 days after the fact that I'd realised I hadn't even thought about a "proper" cigarette.

Last edited:
I get the impression that the authorities in several countries are really struggling to get their heads round the concept. You can understand the reason for a cautious approach. Nicotine is poisonous and there's currently no control over manufacturers. Plus I'll bet Gideon Osborne is rather miffed that its not taxed like tobacco.

I've taken the plunge and ordered an Innokin iTaste VV, plus a bottle of tobacco flavoured juice. If anyone's interested, I'll post my opinion of it in due course.

I really don't like all the tobacco flavoured stuff! They all taste like different strengths of coffee to me :shake:

if you're worried about where the juice is coming from, try royal vapours (mystic juice) which is imported from belgium and sold by a guy in wrexham- its "VG" based rather than "PG" based (vegetable glycerine rather than propolyne glycol) which generally gives a smoother vape. Or if you like the hit from the pg stuff try decadent vapors, based in swansea who make their juices themselves. my OH uses a mystic juice (cola) as his daily flavour and i know loads who use decadent vapors

^^ Emporium Vapour here in Edinburgh uses vegetable glycerine too and they post out. I have a list of the ingredients and their flavours available here if anyone's interested! I'm gonna head down there in a couple of days.. they let you sit and try all the flavours. I'm excited for apple pie :LOL:

The wife & I stopped tobacco a week ago yesterday and went on to the Gammucci ones. Found them ok, but we were going through cartridges like nobody's business due to the low nicotine content. Ended up popping into an e-cig shop in town and getting some really good advice. Walked out with a pair of eGo 650s.

The Alan Carr method didn't work for us at all (tried the book and the terribly expensive course), and I tried Champix which was a joke.

I'm not 100% happy about still being addicted to Nicotine, but all that tar & carp not in my lungs is a great start. Hoping to drop down the nicotine levels with the juice as time goes on.

I have also read that there is some EU discussion on banning juice with >0.6mg nicotine which is a third strength Gamucci! :(.

I'm currently on 18mg juice with the idea of dropping the mg gradually. My mum smokes the 12mg one and the difference is really obvious.

My e-cig arrived this morning (great service, btw) and I'm using it now.

What a huge difference, compared to the disposable Gamucci. It's a much better experience all round. I got some 18mg tobacco flavoured juice (Feel Life brand). The taste is a bit like B&H. Not brilliant, but acceptable.

I'm liking this a lot. :)

So what are these e cigs all about? I mean what are they for?

pepi1967 said:
So what are these e cigs all about? I mean what are they for?

They're for delivering Nicotine, in a way thats like smoking but doesnt produce tar etc. Essentially, they vaporise a solution of pharmaceutical grade nicotine, which can be made to taste like anything (tobacco, fruits, etc) and is far less harmful than smoking.

They're not covered by existing laws on smoking, so technically you can do it anywhere (subject to a land/property owners standing right to ask you to leave, of course). It's also, currently, far cheaper than smoking (roughly 25% of the cost by my calculations).

I was spending £150 a month on cigarettes. My monthly e-cig bill is £30.

toadstool said:
I was spending £150 a month on cigarettes. My monthly e-cig bill is £30.

I'm probably spending about the same on cigs. If I save as much as that, I'll be treating myself to a nice new lens or two this year. :)

I'm probably spending about the same on cigs. If I save as much as that, I'll be treating myself to a nice new lens or two this year. :)

And feel a lot better (y)

I smoked for nigh on 30 years...2 years after giving up I still use the E Cig as I enjoy it like I enjoyed a cig, also driving a lot with my job it cures the boredom and stop me eating sweets and expanding the waistline even more :D

6 weeks ago I ordered the SKY Photon tank kit, comes with an 1100Mah battery, and 2x1.6ml clear "tanks" for the juice. Since then I have bought a spare battery,a couple of 3ml tanks, and I use Totally Wicked menthol flavour 18mg juice.
The battery lasts for 2-3 days between charges, and a 3ml tank of juice lasts about the same.
Haven't smoked a real cig since.
Within 1 week my chest was much clearer, no wheezing or coughing, and I feel so much better. I was a 25-30 a day Marlboro lites man.

Anyone using, or thinking of using one of these devices should be aware that Europe are trying to stick their oar in and ban them, probably because they don't earn any tax. There is a campaign running at the moment asking people to write to their MEP to object to the possible ban.
I don't understand how ciggies can be OK, but these devices, which are much safer, could be banned.

I'm using the plain old ones from smokegreen, I'm sure there are better options out there - I hear there's a whole craze of "Vapers" out there buying mad kits and DIY jobbies. I just want a hit of nicotine to get me through the day. I'm off the cig's now 62 days. Never thought I'd get this far, I've been a smoke for 25 years! Started at the tender age of 11! What a stupid kid I was!

Anyway, if anyone can suggest an easy, non-fuss, better alternative to the smoke green e-cig's, as in, how would I get started if I wanted to try these liquids and tanks? sounds complicated!

Happy enough for now though, Gone from spending about €80 p.w to less than 20. I'm breathing better, and not coughing up muck!

I do find I have to keep buying replacement batteries every couple of weeks though, as they seem to burn out quick, and they're €13 a pop. I also had to buy 2 replacement usb chargers to date, they break very easy. Just hit off them when they're in the laptop and ... The cartridges are 8.99 for a 5 pack - I get 2-3 days out of 5, so 2 packs per week - where I was spending more than that daily on the dirty fags.

I was using more of the 'tobacco' flavour ones, but I'm all about the menthol now.

They obviously work, as I'm 2 months in, could never get past 2 days in 25 year, so I'm all for them. I'd recommend them to anyone who finds it tough to kick the dirty habit.

Well I started with the ciggie look-a-like ones, but they didn't last very long, so I went with the "Photon" Tank kit from here:

http://www.vipelectroniccigarette.co.uk/e-cigarette-tank-kits-c-33.html

I also bought a spare battery off the same page, although the battery lasts a good 24 hours, I got a spare so I can vape whilst battery 1 is on charge. They take about 4 hours to charge up.
I also bought some menthol juice from Totally wicked.com, which I think is really nice.
Since then, the only other thing I have added was a couple of these large tanks, which are easy to refill using a syringe (with needle), and now a battery and tank lasts me 24 hrs easily.
Here is the tank I bought, and a few spare wick thingies too:

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=194

I haven't gone down the route of re-winding wicks, and variable voltage batteries, and I doubt that I will, as it's sounds like too much faffing about.
What I use does me a treat.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers, definitely will have a think about that. The look-a-like ones certainly don't last 24hrs on a charge. Mine seem to run out after an hour or two!

Am I right in that with the tank kit, you're ready to go , but have to buy other liquids outside of it?

Last edited:
The iTaste VV battery gives me a good 2 days use between charges, but the tank is way too small (1.2ml). I'm having to fill up twice a day on this (very moreish) Blueberry juice.

Variable voltage makes a big difference in terms of the amount of vapour generated. Only downside is that dialling it up too high starts to degrade the flavour.

These things should come with a GAS warning. It's almost as bad as photography for that. I'm considering a mod setup already.

Cheers, definitely will have a think about that. The look-a-like ones certainly don't last 24hrs on a charge. Mine seem to run out after an hour or two!

Am I right in that with the tank kit, you're ready to go , but have to buy other liquids outside of it?

Yep. Interestingly we have an e-cigarette shop on the local high street now. It is permanently packed to the gills with people. They let you try all the different flavours, do repairs, and give advice etc.

When you buy your "juice" it will come in different concentrations of nicotine from 25mg down to 0, so make sure you get the right concentration (it will depend on how many cigs you smoke)

A simple to use start up kit using tanks etc would be an e-go kit, they sell them on most vaping websites, vapeland i believe have the best deal on them currently.
If anyone is in the area, there is a vape shop in parc tawe, swansea, just near the cinema

I've been this thread with interest since it started but the thought of not smoking has always stopped me for some reason.

This evening I grabbed a cheap 10 motives ecig to see how I get on with them and unusually haven't had a real cig since I bought it but early days yet!

So much to learn about the options which I hate but if it gets me of the real cigs then ill be a very happy man as will me folks and partner :)

TheNissanMan said:
I've been this thread with interest since it started but the thought of not smoking has always stopped me for some reason.

This evening I grabbed a cheap 10 motives ecig to see how I get on with them and unusually haven't had a real cig since I bought it but early days yet!

So much to learn about the options which I hate but if it gets me of the real cigs then ill be a very happy man as will me folks and partner :)

Welcome aboard. :)

Seriously, I was SUCH a committed smoker. It's been 14 months now!

A

I thought I could never live without them tbh, they really had a hold over me. 63 days on, and those horrible cravings have died down a hell of a lot, I don't instantly go to grab my cog's when I have a cup of tea, or when I get up right away in the morning for that matter! That was always the worst one. Whore's breakfast: Cup of tea/coffee and a ciggie... it'd kill me now.

Going to look into some Vape options, but I don't need another GAS addiction right now :D gear and gadgets and apps fills that hole for now.

A few questions on the set up: You get 5 cartridges with some sets, you fill these with the liquid you buy seperately right? How often do you need to discard each cartridge? Can you only use each one once? What if you change flavours? you clean them?

Also, do cartridges from one company work on others? I know with the smokegreen e-cig none of the other look-a-like cartridges will fit.

Can you buy liquids from anywhere for use with any of these vape sets?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back