Early Day Motion started in Parliament regarding street photography

I found this reply stuck in my spam filter :

(My MP has already referrerd this to the Minister, this is in reply to my specifically asking him to sign the EDM)

Thank you very much indeed for your further e-mail about EDM 1155.
I am afraid that I do not sign EDMs, even if I agree with their wording as in this case.
EDMs, of which there are thousands – about fifteen new ones are added every day when Parliament is in session – are simply written motions to which MPs can add their name, but which are rarely debated and to which nothing much happens.

A very few reach the floor of the House for debate, and when they do, I always make a point of doing my best to attend and debate them, and, when occasionally the rules allow, voting on them. Sadly, when such motions are debated, the vast majority of MPs who have signed the EDM in question, either never turn up or actually vote against what they have previously signed! In other words, signing EDMs is, in my view, not the best way of representing constituents' concerns.

Signing EDMs should not be confused with an MP's actual support for an issue. As we saw recently with the Parliamentary vote on post office closures loads of Labour MPs who had already signed an EDM against post office closures went through the lobbies voting against a motion which would have stopped the closures and which was worded almost exactly the same as the EDM which they had signed. I would suggest to you that many MPs who sign EDMs are giving their constituents the false impression that they care about particular issues, but when it comes to it they will do little if anything about them. I am afraid a lot of EDM-signing is complete hypocrisy from MPs, which is why I take no part in it.

When the issue raised by an EDM is a matter for a Government Department, such as yours, I think it is far more effective to represent constituents' concerns by writing to the appropriate Minister and asking for a response to the issue raised. By this means, the Minister gets to learn of constituents' views directly from their MP, and a reply is always sent. In this regard, as you know, I have written to the appropriate Minister and will send you a copy of the reply when received.
I can live with that.

I think that's actually the best reply yet.

Got a letter from the HoC this morning, my MP signed the list a while ago and wrote to say he had read it and was more than happy to add his name.

Even if they do no real good in the long run it's a chance for us to see where our MPs stand on issues (particularly if they do as suggested above and vote the other way)

I found this reply stuck in my spam filter :

(My MP has already referrerd this to the Minister, this is in reply to my specifically asking him to sign the EDM)

I can live with that.

Must have the same MP then John-oh

Not a bad reply I thought, nice headed paper too :D

I received the following reply today from my MP - Rt.Hon John Redwood

"I am taking this matter up with Ministers, as EDMs are never debated and
have little impact."

Ministers must be getting a few missives by now!

John-oh, got a similar (if shorter) reply from my local MP to whom I sent a failty lengthy e-mail. He basically said that although he supports my view that photgraphers shouldn't be harrassed over every little matter, national security is paramount and that there is a 'greater good' issue when it comes to the responsibilites of the police and security services. However, he did say that he was surprised to hear that photographers are coming under close scrutiny when it comes to actual public photography but would not sign up for anything as of yet.

At least he got back to me and was courteous to write an actual letter.

Didn't get a reply from my MP.

He won't be getting a vote from me.

So it's an EDM to raise awareness of laws to people who enforce the law?

Dear, GOD.

You just have to see the video of the PCSO harassing a photographer to understand how necessary this is Muffin.

An excellent and very important thread. Thankyou for the info. I'm on to it! I am the very person they are talking about; my main interest is street photography, and so far I've been surrounded by Insecurity Guards (yes, you read that right!), CPO's, hounded by the police etc etc etc... I'm sick of it! It's about time something was done to bring the Weekend-Warriors up to speed because they haven't got a clue about Photographer's Rights..

Didn't get a reply from my MP.

He won't be getting a vote from me.

Not had a response from mine either (Linda Riordan, Halifax), almost a month ago now.

Well i was originally told my MP would write to me in the post - but he never did.

It's a good job I didn't vote for this particular tory twerp at the last general election. No, what am I saying, I'd never vote tory in any election.

It's a good job I didn't vote for this particular tory twerp at the last general election. No, what am I saying, I'd never vote tory in any election.

I'm not a political animal but keep in mind the erosion of our "rights" has/is occuring under a Labour administration. I would vote for the MP/candidate willing to protect those rights regardless of their party.

For me that appears not to be my conservative MP as he seems more concerned with Tibet than England!

My MP has replied to say he is signing this. He says he's a keen amateur photographer himself and thinks that something should be done. Apparently, another constituent wrote to him saying that a colleague was stopped for taking photos of trams!

I have sent a messsage to my MP Des Browne but seeing as he has voted 'very strongly' for ID Cards I am not expecting much. I did however add that if he felt that he could not sign perhaps he could take the matter up, as many of his Parliamentary colleagues had, with the relevant Minister

Still waiting for a response from my MP. Have just written to him again asking him to consider the EDM and that I don't expect to be waiting another month to hear from him

At long last I have had a reply from Jim Knight - "...I appreciate your concern about this issue and support the spirit of this motion.

I am sorry but Early Day motions are a Parliamentary mechanism for backbench MP's to express opinions to Government ministers. As a Government Minister I am therefore not in a position to sign them"

Fair enough I guess - I had forgotten that he is minister for something or other.

B.

Just got a nice (albeit short) letter from David Howarth MP saying that he'd signed it. :D

Alex

I got a reply from my mp saying she doesn't believe in EDM's
I have sent her the following response:-

Hello Ms Lait,

Many thanks for your correspondence regarding the Austin Mitchell EDM 1155.

I have to say I was disappointed with your reply that you didn't really believe
in adding your name to Early Day Motions. Taking photographs in public areas is
increasingly becoming problematic to amateur photographers. I myself whilst
recently taking photographs in/around Canary Wharf was informed six times
that I wasn't allowed to take photographs in that area. When I showed the security
guards/policemen an email from the press officer informing them I didn't need
permission to take photos there they left me alone. Whilst this wasn't an issue for me,
I saw the same security people then tell other photographers around there they weren't
allowed to take photos.

I am a member of a website dedicated to photography (named TalkPhotography.co.uk)
There is a forum thread about the EDM on the site which currently has had 5,154 views and 260 replies.
This is a considerable and sizable response from a group of keen amateur photographers.

There is also a story on the bbc website titled Innocent photographer or terrorist?
The link is:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7351252.stm

In short what I'm trying to say is that whilst it seems a small issue it is an important
and becoming a major issue in these days of heightened security/paranoia.

I urge you to think again and kindly add your signature to the EDM1155.

You just have to see the video of the PCSO harassing a photographer to understand how necessary this is Muffin.

Oh no I am aware, I do despise the Labour government for taking away our Civil Liberties slowly but surely. With no Legislation in place other that children being arrested and government buildings (e.g. Military bases) which in all honesty is fine. But to then to use the media to spread control using words like Terrorism in The Sun bold stylee to strike fear into the public is ludicrous and infuriating, I do wonder if there really is another side to this story, this is a Photograph based community so is unlikely to give the other side but Terrorism and Paedophilia are sensationalist rubbish.

i have just found a list of M.P's and their record on EDM's
I noted that my mp who doesn't really believe in EDM's has signed 16 of them!!!!

here's the link
http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/MemberList.aspx

Barely any, my local MP:

Macclesfield Winterton, Nicholas Conservative Party 278

and the top five:

Vis, Rudi Finchley and Golders Green Labour Party 978
Cryer, Ann Keighley Labour Party 970
Simpson, Alan Nottingham South Labour Party 952
Hancock, Mike Portsmouth South Liberal Democrats 922
Bottomley, Peter Worthing West Conservative Party 869

Barely any, my local MP:

Macclesfield Winterton, Nicholas Conservative Party 278

and the top five:

Vis, Rudi Finchley and Golders Green Labour Party 978
Cryer, Ann Keighley Labour Party 970
Simpson, Alan Nottingham South Labour Party 952
Hancock, Mike Portsmouth South Liberal Democrats 922
Bottomley, Peter Worthing West Conservative Party 869

Hmm. I wonder how many of them actually attended the session when the EDM they signed was being debated?

Anyone care to open the bidding at none :LOL:

It's great this issue is getting some wider reporting, I definitely feel there is some momentum building behind it.

Everyone who has written to your MP should give yourself a big pat on the back, the extra attention this issue is getting is undoubtedly due to the number of signatures that the EDM has got and a large number of them are as a direct result of TP members writing to their MP. Well done everyone!(y)

The thread bump reminded me to check my mail box, and I still haven't had a reply from my MP Mark SImmonds :shake: SO I just sent them a forward of the original email with some "extra" text to boot ... :LOL:

And what would you know! I got an email this morning in return saying that the letter had been sent out to me on the 19th March and they are sorry if it went astray :cautious:

19 March 2008

Dear Mr and Mrs Fisher

Thank you for your recent email about EDM 1155 and photography in public places.

I appreciate you drawing my attention to this issue, I am not aware that this practice is particularly prevalent, and as such I would not wish to sign the EDM and criticise our police force without knowing more details.

In general, however, I believe it is important that people are aware of what their rights are. You are right that, except in exceptional circumstances, it is not an offence to take photographs in public places, indeed, thousands of people do all through the UK every day.

When there are serious concerns about national security, such as at military airports and power stations, there are provisions for photography being restricted; however, in general Government buildings are not covered. Indeed, the Houses of Parliament must be one of the most photographed buildings in the world and, whilst the Metropolitan police are running an anti-terrorism campaign encouraging the reporting of suspicious behaviour, including photographing sensitive buildings, I am not aware that this has led to any harassment of photographers.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Yours sincerely

Mark Simmonds MP

Boston and Skegness

:shake: See he obviously took the time to research things ... So since I'm not to good with words and fact pointing, can someone give me a good reply to that?

:shake: See he obviously took the time to research things ... So since I'm not to good with words and fact pointing, can someone give me a good reply to that?

See here.

That's the standard Conservative Central Office reply that has been used by a number of Tory MPs.

Oh how wonerful of them to give a personal reply! Think I will send a nice little reply LOL. Thanks!

Dear "MP"

I'd like to thank you for your reply Ref EDM 1155 and photography in public places, but I can't.

I would honestly prefer that you not send me an email designed to look as though you have carefully considered my question when it is in fact simply copy and pasted and sent to god knows how many others by other MPs already. It insults my intelligence, wastes my time and does you no credit whatsoever.

If this is an example of the way you handle communications from all your constituants, I sincerely wish you a happy retirement at the next election.

Yous

I never did hear anything from my MP, (Labour) so we`ll wait for may 1st his wife,( labour counciller) won`t be getting a vote from me, or him at the next election.

Hello all

Just one idea...

How about someone post in this thread a "model letter" so others can use.....There are people like me that can't put it down in words easily......

My Lib Dem chappie gave me a polite and personal reply....well done!!

Well I never, Today I recieved an answer from my MP, written on best house of commons paper and sent in best house of commons envelope, it goes thus.

Dear XXXX
Many thanks for your emails in support of Austin Mitchell`s EDM on photography.
I do not sign EDMs as they do not actually achieve anything, but much prefer to take up the issue with the minister concerned.

This I have done today and will write to you, and all the others who have written, again once I recieve a reply.

Yours sincerly
XXXXX

We will have to see what happens.

I got a personal reply etc from J Humble Blackpool & Fleetwood and she has signed this motion :clap: (y)

Back