Egg on top of the toast

joescrivens

Suspended / Banned
Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a lovely fry up at the cafe.

It always erks me though that they dont put the egg on top of the toast, I always have to move it there myself. Everyone knows the egg should go on one slice of the toast.

It's both a space saver and a culinary delight as you cut through the egg onto toast with each mouthful.

How do you eat yours?

Ask for egg ON toast then.....simples.....why is it always somebody else's fault with you?

Apart from substituting toast with fried bread I agree, Joe.

Dave

Because I dont want it to come with egg on toast with a layer of spit, and its just a given that the egg should go on the toast. everyone knows that

Because I dont want it to come with egg on toast with a layer of spit, and its just a given that the egg should go on the toast. everyone knows that

Spit? You are obviously going to the wrong cafe.

GO into cafe, 'Can I have a full English please? - Would you be so kind as to put the egg(s) on top of a round of toast for me please? - Thanks very much, you're a star!

Not very difficult is it - and not a spittle spot in sight.

Last edited:

Joe has spoken....It must be so. :thinking:

come on now ruth, you look like someone who likes the egg on the toast too.

Surely egg must go on the toast - how can it not be so?

because EVERYONE Knows that the beans and tomatoes should be on the toast of course. I mean, DERH!! :p

Joe, like Tom says, just ask for it, seemples.

This is joe nothing is simples.

beans on toast I can accept if thats your bag, but tomatoes!!!!!

don't blaspheme, tomatoes make the toast go as soggy and rank

it's egg or beans, thems the rules. But mostly egg

The only bread on the plate should be fried. Toast, if included, should be hot, buttered and separate. :)

If the egg is scrambled then its less important that it goes on top of the toast or fried bread.

And also, I like to keep the other peices of toast separate too. If there are 4 half slices then only 1 needs to be on the plate under the fried egg

And also they should use the sausage(s) as a breakwater between the beans and the egg, whether egg is on the toast or not.

And also they should use the sausage(s) as a breakwater between the beans and the egg, whether egg is on the toast or not.

Shouldn't need to as the fried mushrooms should have been placed to make this barrier before the sausage as this is better used as a tomato barrier.

Its beans OR tomatoes, not both. Everyone knows that. And the mushrooms need to be high and dry ready to receive the lions share of the salt drop.

Its beans OR tomatoes, not both. Everyone knows that. And the mushrooms need to be high and dry ready to receive the lions share of the salt drop.

:agree:

It's beans OR toms for a child's portion but a mans portion needs both or you would have no place to put the black pepper. (y)

Because they would get primadonnas kicking off about it being on the top of the toast. ;) I went to Uni with one guy whom practised fry up apartheid. Nothing could touch the yolk of a fried egg.

And whole tinned tomatoes on top of your toast or fried bread? Oh yea!!!!

:clap: [or womans btw]

Also, there has to be at least 1 piece of toast [or fried bread if thats your poison] left over at the end to mop up :D

Oh of course :clap:

NOTHING should be served on the toast, it will just make it soggy. Toast should be served separate, preferably in one of them 70s style stainless steel racks, with a huge mound of butter (not them ****** little foil packets of butter!).

FYI the best full english (or as close to a full english as a veggie can have) was at the Baltic on Gateshead Quayside. Seriously impressive! The beans even came in their own mini-dish to avoid seepage.

No Joe, you've got it completely wrong. The egg must not be put on the toast when served because it makes the toast go soggy. The toast MUST be on a separate plate or rack to keep it crispy . You put the egg on the toast (or fried bead is fine) just before you eat it.
Sausages should form a barrier between beans and other items.

NOTHING should be served on the toast, it will just make it soggy. Toast should be served separate, preferably in one of them 70s style stainless steel racks, with a huge mound of butter (not them ****** little foil packets of butter!).

FYI the best full english (or as close to a full english as a veggie can have) was at the Baltic on Gateshead Quayside. Seriously impressive! The beans even came in their own mini-dish to avoid seepage.

With strawberry jam:)

because EVERYONE Knows that the beans and tomatoes should be on the toast of course. I mean, DERH!! :p

:clap:

My favourite is fried bread covered with bakes beans.....mmmmm, soggy baked bean fried bread goodness!! :D

Carefully eat all white from around the yolk - slip yolk onto knife blade straight into mouth in a oner (y):D

Marry me!!!! :love:

No Joe, you've got it completely wrong. The egg must not be put on the toast when served because it makes the toast go soggy. The toast MUST be on a separate plate or rack to keep it crispy . You put the egg on the toast (or fried bead is fine) just before you eat it.

No no no. Egg must be placed on the toast first. Where do you intend to place the said egg whilst placing toast on the plate? You risk damaging the yoke shoving it around with your cafe utensils. Egg on toast is the only way to go. That's it end off close the thread.:)

Egg should be on top of the toast where you can see it:)I used to get a roll and bacon at work but unlike doughnuts you get no clue as to where the egg is going to attack you from:|

Have you guys even ever had an egg on toast?

Soggy? Why on earth would an egg make toast soggy - there is no scientific reasoning for this unless you are serving raw eggs or very we sloppy scrambled egg. A fried egg has a completely dry bottom (unlike myself after a poo) and there is no soggyness occurying.

Egg should be on top of the toast where you can see it:)I used to get a roll and bacon at work but unlike doughnuts you get no clue as to where the egg is going to attack you from:|

Ah, but wasn't the anticipation almost as good as the roll? :D

I suppose so:D It ended up getting too messy so I switched to baguettes:)

joescrivens said:
Have you guys even ever had an egg on toast?

Soggy? Why on earth would an egg make toast soggy - there is no scientific reasoning for this unless you are serving raw eggs or very we sloppy scrambled egg. A fried egg has a completely dry bottom (unlike myself after a poo) and there is no soggyness occurying.

Ah but hot toast will let off steam from its internal moisture. That is why you put it in toast racks to keep it crispy. Putting an egg on top at the start could act like dressing the toast in a sou'wester and leave it stewing in its own toasty sweat. Putting the egg on top immediately prior to consumption makes sense if you want crunchy toast.

a mans portion needs both or you would have no place to put the black pepper. (y)
If there is black pepper available you are in too posh a café to contribute further to this thread. You'll be wanting your tea in a cup and saucer next.
Salt and white pepper in glass rocket shaped cruets[*] usually with the hole bunged up so you have to go and scrounge one off another table. Them's the rules. Also at least half the male clientele should be called Gary if its a proper greasy spoon.

*obviously you dont refer to them as cruets, that would be as bad as expecting black pepper. Just pots.

Last edited:
If there is black pepper available you are in too posh a café to contribute further to this thread.
Salt and white pepper in glass rocket shaped cruets[*] usually with the hole bunged up so you have to go and scrounge one off another table. Them's the rules.

*obviously you dont refer to them as cruets, that would be as bad as expecting black pepper. Just pots.

:LOL: (y)

Ah but hot toast will let off steam from its internal moisture. That is why you put it in toast racks to keep it crispy. Putting an egg on top at the start could act like dressing the toast in a sou'wester and leave it stewing in its own toasty sweat. Putting the egg on top immediately prior to consumption makes sense if you want crunchy toast.

hot toast letting off steam? are you mental?

there is no moisutre in the toast to turn into steam (if there is you didn't toast it long enough) and in order for the butter on the toast to be steaming it would have to be at 100 degrees to change state from liquid to gas

and another thing. even if this did occur it would take time and the breakfast should be consumed quickly so that nothing goes cold - therefore you've eaten it all before anything had a chance to cool down or go soggy

Last edited:
Egg either on plate or toast ;)

Carefully eat all white from around the yolk - slip yolk onto knife blade straight into mouth in a oner (y):D

I have 2 eggs and eat one like that but use a fork instead:)

there is no moisutre in the toast to turn into steam (if there is you didn't toast it long enough) and in order for the butter on the toast to be steaming it would have to be at 100 degrees to change state from liquid to gas

and another thing. even if this did occur it would take time and the breakfast should be consumed quickly so that nothing goes cold - therefore you've eaten it all before anything had a chance to cool down or go soggy

:eek: of course it does, thats why you have a toast rack!! Put a piece of fresh toast straight down on a plate or worktop for a few moments, then lift up - condensation will be there.

Having said that, sorry, Damien and I obviously have good taste - the toast MUST be made soggy from beans, tomatoes and ultimately, egg yolk, its the only way to go.

joescrivens said:

It's toast 101 Joe. Primary school stuff. Get with the program. ;)

Back