Emulsive.org Analogue Secret Santa 2017

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
http://emulsive.org/articles/secret-santa/announcing-emulsive-secret-santa-2017

I've been speaking to Em who runs Emulsive.org and he's shared the link to this years' secret Santa. The full information/rules are in the linked article but the basic premise is that you register your details and put together a wish list. Once the draw is made, you will be matched up with another film photographer somewhere in the world and everyone then buys a gift that's worth at least $10 (using the wish list for idea if you can't think of anything) and ships it to their match.

Last year there were just under 500 photographers taking part worldwide and he's hoping to increase that this year. I've already registered and said I'd share the link here too.

:0)

Christmas! Bah! Humbug! :D

I've just seen this comment from someone who entered it last year;

"I did this last year and it was lots of fun. I sent out some film (35mm and 120) and a yashica samurai. These went to Japan.

I received from the UK an Olympus trip, some 35mm film, some 120 film, a film holder and a small print from a negative made with the trip.

I plan to do it again this year."

I'd be tempted if it weren't for requiring the use of Twitter (which I've never bothered even looking at).

I did this last year! I sent a couple of rolls of interesting film, plus a pouch/pencil case made of a fabric with film rolls on, plus some badges, to a lady in Singapore! I got a good haul of film from my match, including a roll of Lomo Purple, which I've still not used. It's really fun, especially tracking everyone's progress and seeing the opened parcels on Twitter! I've signed up again :)

I did this last year! I sent a couple of rolls of interesting film, plus a pouch/pencil case made of a fabric with film rolls on, plus some badges, to a lady in Singapore! I got a good haul of film from my match, including a roll of Lomo Purple, which I've still not used. It's really fun, especially tracking everyone's progress and seeing the opened parcels on Twitter! I've signed up again :)

thanks for the feedback Charlotte. It sounds like a fun thing to take part in!

I think there is a little button to the side of the search section. There's a magnifying glass to search, or like a link/chain looking button to add it? This was on the mobile site mind, so might be different. I've added 120 film, or weird promo stuff like posters/signs/mugs etc

I could never work out the wishlist either - it seemed to want me to add things from a discrete list. So I put my wants/ideas in my profile!

I just typed it into this box and then pressed the right hand two of the buttons (arrowed)?

View attachment 110757
It took me a while to work it out but that's what I have done also. I'm not sure if it is necessary but you can alter your settings so that when you add items to your wishlist they don't appear in the group notifications. At least I think that is what it is for?

Yeah that would be ok, I could get him a joke book :D

I wrote the joke book....cheeky young whippersnapper :confused::D

The only present you'll be getting from me is a clip around the lughole :bat:

Last edited:
It must have been a very long time ago?! :D :exit:

To be fair I copied some of the jokes from an even earlier version written by a Mr Brock. :D

Yeah, EM was pulling his hair out this morning with it. Apparently the Elfster site didn't take into account worldwide postage preferences so people who only wanted to post in-country were getting matched with people outside. The Elfster support are out of the office until after Thanksgiving so it's going to take a few days to get sorted.

I didn't even realise there was an option for worldwide postage preferences? Kinda wish I'd ticked Europe only or something now though as a small parcel to Canada is £17 with Royal Mail!

I’ve been paired up. I’m somewhat amused at the wish list I’ve been presented with - I’m not sure I’m going to find a Plustek Opticscan 120 scanner to match the $10 budget, unless anyone knows of some cracking Black Friday Deals? :D

Nothing on the list of several dozen items can be had for $10 - the cheapest item is over twice that, and the majority of them are far more expensive.

Lots of Kodak film on my pair's wishlist, and an OM-1! Sure I can work something out...

My recipient will be getting some film (but not one of the 10-packs or 100-foot bulk rolls they've optimistically added!!!), and probably some sweets and chocolates I think.

I'm wondering if I missed a trick with my relatively conservative list? I think i just asked for some 120 or 135 film (no quantity or brand specified) and *if* my Secret Santa had any photo books or old cameras they no longer wanted, then I'd be happy to give them a good home.

Maybe I should have asked for a Plaubel Makina and crossed my fingers... :)

My match's wish list includes a hasselblad film back, a £110 leather camera wrist strap and some Fuji pack film... anyone know where I can get that for a tenner?

My wish list was just some 120 film or some unusual film related promotional stuff, like an old Kodak sign or something that I can put on a wall.

I think some camera film will be sent to them, and I like the idea of sticking a bag of sweet in too. Perhaps I'll include a Polaroid of me giving a thumbs up!

I'm not sure who the idiots are... them for putting silly things, or all of us for NOT putting silly things!

Perhaps they just put ridiculous wish lists up for the one in a million chance they get matched with someone who's rich

I reiterate my earlier post.

Christmas! Bah, humbug. :D

I'm not sure who the idiots are... them for putting silly things, or all of us for NOT putting silly things!

Perhaps they just put ridiculous wish lists up for the one in a million chance they get matched with someone who's rich
As you say there's the one in a million chance that they get paired with a santa who has more money than sense but mostly I'd say it's just a good way to show other people what sort of equipment or film e.t.c. would interest them. Looking at previous years results on twitter it seems to be quite standard for gifts to consist of some film, some sweets and then other silly little bits or more down to earth pieces of spare gear.

I've put a few larger price items on for a laugh and to show what I aspire to but I've also asked for (and expect to receive) smaller gifts such as film, bits of film related tat and if I'm lucky a print or zine from my Santa.

Anyone got any idea where I can find a JCH 120 film case in the UK? My match has added it to his wish list and I think the request is a lot more reasonable than a Hasselblad film back!

Back