Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Thanks Brian that is a really detailed response,the distortion was one of my fears i read about,so i think i will look for a second had one,cheers for that.:):D

I use the 24-105 with my 6D and think it's a great lens. I've never noticed any distortion, but I import into lightroom which will fix and distortion automatically anyway.
It's my main walk around lens and attached to my camera probably 70% of the time.

Thanks Elliot,i am really leaning towards this lens now.:)

Also expensive:)

:):D

Oh hai!

Soon to be 6D owner having just picked up a nice used model :)

I know all that but sometimes you have to listen to the wife.:):D:D

You will love it.:D:D

Hope so. It'll be a second FF body to my 5D3 as I can't justify another of those. Looking forward to the -3EV centre point focusing and maybe playing with the Wifi.

but a stop better and awesome image quality ;-)

but when do you use that stop? High ISO performance is so good on the 6d I have never felt the need, I suppose if you want the shallowest DOF...

Is is no good if the subject moves ;-)

Beg to differ - it can help a lot with framing, although admittedly more so on the longer focal length lenses.

Sure, although obviously it depends on the nature of the movement.

For example, if something is in motion but staying in the same place, as it were, then the stabilisation will help you frame the shot more easily as the image in the viewfinder won't be wobbling about as much, although obviously you'll still have to keep the shutter speed up as the subject is still in motion.

Another example is panning mode, such as when you're tracking a racing car. The stabilisation will operate only in the vertical plane, again helping you keep the car in the same place within the frame.

Obv depends on the situation;-) I guess being a portrait shooter personally find dof and a stop more light more useful but this is what makes photography interesting:)

Oh yeah definitely. I don't miss not having IS on my 24-70 one iota - at these kinds of focal lengths the f/2.8 aperture is far more important to me (compared to say the 24-105 f/4 IS). With the 70-200 however, the IS is a godsend at the long end, especially with static subjects but also often for moving ones for the reasons above :)

EDIT: And yes I have the 16-35 f/4L IS but frankly I got this because of the IQ - I find the IS pretty irrelevant at such wide angles :)

EDIT: And yes I have the 16-35 f/4L IS but frankly I got this because of the IQ - I find the IS pretty irrelevant at such wide angles :)
You obviously don't do much Low-Light shooting

Actually I shoot weddings so yes, I do :)

I just don't really use these kinds of focal lengths in low light with static subjects, which is why I don't think the IS will prove that useful in reality. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, we'll see, there's certainly no harm in having it :)

Mine has arrived! All looks good but controls will take a bit of getting used to. Also a little smaller than I was expecting but no bad thing I guess.

Mine has arrived! All looks good but controls will take a bit of getting used to.
Compared to what?
One of the things I like about Canon SLR is their consistent interface - if you're used to one then another feels instantly familiar.
I haven't owned loads, but I found moving from my old 30D to the 6D was fairly intuitive.

Compared to my 5D3. The rear joystick is missing, replaced (sort of) by the joypad and the button on top above the LCD are different.

Could anyone recommend a could third party battery for my 6D ? Thanks.
I don't understand people who spend over £1000 on a camera and then try and save £20-30 on a non-original battery.
If your "replacement" battery leaks and wrecks the inside of your camera, or overheats and melts, how does your warranty apply?
For me, the best spare is the Canon original.

I don't understand people who spend over £1000 on a camera and then try and save £20-30 on a non-original battery.
If your "replacement" battery leaks and wrecks the inside of your camera, or overheats and melts, how does your warranty apply?

Absolutely, it's a false economy. You'll have no warranty claim at all as Canon will want to see the original Canon battery that leaked and did the damage, which you won't have.

The branded ones like Duracell aren't saving you that much really and the cheapo sub-£10 ones are Chinese tat I wouldn't allow anywhere near my cameras.

Would you trust a cheap unbranded memory card as opposed to the likes of Sandisk or Lexar? Same difference with batteries. No one is claiming the Canon's are cheap or that they're not overpriced but, compared to the cost of the camera, it's nothing really.

Nothing wrong with using a quality off brand battery, have done for as many years as i've had camera and video kit.

I have used 3rd party batteries for a lot of years & never had a problem.:)

Because OEM batteries are a complete rip off!

My Baxtarr batteries last a good 100-200 shots more than my Canon original.

Do third party batteries void the warranty if they go wrong? I've not heard stories to suggest this.

Is this the same if you use a third partly lens that went wrong and damaged the body somehow??

Edit - checking the warranty, it states it would be voided if it is caused by consumables "not compatible with the product". As the third party batteries are compatible, that wouldn't void the warranty as long as you used the right one.

Last edited:
Do third party batteries void the warranty if they go wrong? I've not heard stories to suggest this.

If they damage the body, yes.

Is this the same if you use a third partly lens that went wrong and damaged the body somehow??

Yes!

Edit - checking the warranty, it states it would be voided if it is caused by consumables "not compatible with the product". As the third party batteries are compatible, that wouldn't void the warranty as long as you used the right one.

Dream on. It means what Canon deem to be compatible, not you. Nothing made by another company, batteries and lenses included, are "compatible" in Canon's eyes and will void the warranty if they damage the camera. You do know that Canon don't actually "allow" other manufacturers to make lenses for their cameras? Sigma, Tamron et al aren't allowed the specs for the AF system for example, and have to reverse engineer it without Canon's permission.

Last edited:
Back