Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Plus many "weather sealed" lenses are only rated as such with a filter on the front. But let's not descend into the filter argument yet again :)

My point was more along the lines of the CPL being used for the desired effect, not just for the sake of having a filter on.

I have only found Canon ones to work well in my 6D. I had tried a friends 'replica' battery from a 5DII and it didn't last long at all. Whether it be the battery age, I'm not sure. But I only use genuine Canons now.

Agreed, I use only Canon Batteries in my 6D & 7DII, Generic ones don't last at all, specially when I shoot in the freezing cold...

Agreed, I use only Canon Batteries in my 6D & 7DII, Generic ones don't last at all, specially when I shoot in the freezing cold...
Rubbish! :) Bit of a sweeping statement don't you think?

Just buy good ones. All of my third party batteries perform better than the OEM ones, bar my Hahnel (which is supposed to be the better 3rd party battery?). Thats OEM batteries from Canon, Sony and Fuji.

Last edited:
thanks Kyle Jim Vert but when not used for polarising i was going to take it off and put it on after shooting if you get my drift :).
how about this instead?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-77mm-D...40438700&sr=8-4&keywords=77mm+hoya+uv+filters
I've used MC protectors vs UV filters vs no filter at all, and tbh I can hardly tell the difference unless looking pixel peeping side by side and really looking for anything. the difference is minimal to me I keep a UV filter on my valuable lenses most of the time in case I forget to put the filters on when they are needed or sometimes to complete the weather sealing as @Vertigo1 pointed out

If you compare UV or just protector filter side by side, speaking from experience, the UV filter has a very slight tinge of pink/grey depending on the light. Maybe that's just placebo :p

another reason I keep filters on my glass is that I can use whatever I had best at the time to clean the front element in the field, compared to needing to be gentle with it as filters are cheaper to replace over scratched front elements. to me that's one of the noticeable benefits :)

tl:dr, if you want a fitler, go for the good makes and whatever is cheapest as the type of filter makes no difference in my opinion

Got uv and protector filters for my lenses (either or) I take them off if I'm shooting indoors and put them on if I'm out - especially at the coast or water ways, have scratched a couple when they got dirty - really pleased it wasn't the lens glass. I do believe in decent filters, why put crap glass infront of L quality?

Got uv and protector filters for my lenses (either or) I take them off if I'm shooting indoors and put them on if I'm out - especially at the coast or water ways, have scratched a couple when they got dirty - really pleased it wasn't the lens glass. I do believe in decent filters, why put crap glass infront of L quality?

Why pay for a L lens if you're going to reduce the output to a more mediocre one?

Seriously, how are you lot scratching your front elements?? Are you cleaning them with diamond encrusted sand paper?!?

Last edited:
Why pay for a L lens if you're going to reduce the output to a more mediocre one?

Seriously, how are you lot scratching your front elements?? Are you cleaning them with diamond encrusted sand paper?!?
not diamond encrusted sand paper, just the random one time in a thousand sand or grit on the tshirt can cause permanent damage. Yes I could use a dedicated lens cloth but sometimes that isnt as practical or quick as giving it a quick wipe with the back of the tshirt.

Let's agree to disagree, as we clearly have our own standard operating procedures :)

Batteries-wise, I find the third party batteries do work well, but the recharge performance tends to vary and they don't always communicate properly with the camera... For best results you will find that the genuine Canon ones seem to work best. You'll never catch me buying one, however, as they're way too bloody expensive! :)

Yep, they're multi layered glass.

It's easy to fit to, kind of "sucks" on rather than sticks. Which is great if you don't line it up perfectly on the first attempt, just lift it and go again. But it's very easy to get right :)

Last edited:
I think so yes. Though I think mine were from Amazon direct rather than a reseller but it looks the same.

I'm thinking very much thinking to go the 6d way. I ugraded from 40d to 70d thinking the iso capability would be much better but to be honest i got quiet disappointing. The question is, is there any point buying a second hand camera? From what i can find 2nd camera are the same price or more expensive that buying new from hk import at under 800£. Am I wrong? Can i grab a good condition 6d for below 700£?

You can indeed! I may have gotten lucky, but I reckon you should find a used grey import for around £650.

People are a bit precious about their cameras being UK sourced which is all good and well for them but makes not a jot of difference once the warranty runs out and they sell it used yet expect more than a second hand grey import.

Either buy a new import from the likes of Digital Rev who have a decent reputation to keep or save even more money by buying a used one. Just don't let anyone tell you their used UK sourced body is worth more than a used grey import.

You can indeed! I may have gotten lucky, but I reckon you should find a used grey import for around £650.

Import / grey used prices aren't lower than uk prices as more often than not all warranties involved will have expired.

There's no advantage in UK or grey stock (and vice versa) used, they are on identical footing after 12 months. Even within that 12 months it wouldn't concern me.

Last edited:
I've frequently seen people trying to sell used UK sourced kit for more than grey import prices Odd Jim.

I've frequently seen people trying to sell used UK sourced kit for more than grey import prices Odd Jim.
Makes no sense. I'd reply to their add just to make a point!

Totally agree, what i don't mind grey import most of my gear as been born 2nd hand or via panamoz and digital rev. But seems like the price of 6d on ebay are going well over 700, when the new from panamoz is at 770£. If i can save a bit i would because 700/800 is still a lot of money. 600 would be more idealistic but likely not realistic!

joining in anticipation of payday, what's everyone's thoughts and tips with this one then?

Back