Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I put all storage on external drive so not a great issue... More processing speed I guess!

Ta
What's your current spec PC?

I had a similar problem with my PC (although before I got my 6d).

I originally bought an SSD, but eventually bought a new PC (from Core 2 duo to i5 and 8gb ram)

I have a manual Neewer flash cost £29 came with diffuser box cap ,remote release,really good.obviously i cant set it off camera at moment as 6D doesnt do that.will get a TTL flash at some point and want to get one that can set off the Neewer,anyone recommend a suitable one please..?
Thanks

I have a manual Neewer flash cost £29 came with diffuser box cap ,remote release,really good.obviously i cant set it off camera at moment as 6D doesnt do that.will get a TTL flash at some point and want to get one that can set off the Neewer,anyone recommend a suitable one please..?
Thanks
For a first time buyer, I'd recommend the Yongnuo YN600 ex rt. If I was starting with flash today, I'd want one with the radio receiver built in (less batteries - fewer things to carry).

The Neewer will probably have a dumb slave mode, but there's loads of radio receivers available, it'll depend on which flash path you go down.

For a first time buyer, I'd recommend the Yongnuo YN600 ex rt. If I was starting with flash today, I'd want one with the radio receiver built in (less batteries - fewer things to carry).

The Neewer will probably have a dumb slave mode, but there's loads of radio receivers available, it'll depend on which flash path you go down.
The dumb slave mode is usually good enough to give you a burst of light when your other flashes go off , triggered optically when it senses other flashes go off. Used one the other day to blow out the background on portraits :)

some dumb slave mode can cope with the two flashes in quick succession from ETTL too, my yongnuo one has an S2 mode that fires on the second of the ETTL flashes so you still get rear curtain sync

The dumb slave mode is usually good enough to give you a burst of light when your other flashes go off , triggered optically when it senses other flashes go off. Used one the other day to blow out the background on portraits :)

some dumb slave mode can cope with the two flashes in quick succession from ETTL too, my yongnuo one has an S2 mode that fires on the second of the ETTL flashes so you still get rear curtain sync
The little Neewer works on my nikon3300 and 6D ,the nikon can fire it off camera ,good fun.

Shush....

Most likely is judging by the images aswell, hurry up and get one already ;)

Hi David and Joe but hi anyone else too! I can see that you both are or use to be nikon shooter. Can i ask why have you change to canon?

I've always shot canon but because i'm thinking of moving FF I need to sell all my lens and i've been looking at the nikon d610 and nikon d750 too. I think i would prefer the ergonomic/layout of the button of the nikon. I've got a 70d now and it's layout is the same as 6d and I never got use to it, i find the location of the button awkward the button in the back are not very helpfull at night because i find them weirdly placed and i like taking astrophography at night in the darkness, then for wildlife i don't like so much having to reach down with the thumbs for the af point why did they took that joystick away i had on the 40d i don't know... The nikon appeals to me in ergonomic, better location of af point pad, info just above, all other button on line along the left edge and not sparkle across the back of the body!

So what make you change or thinking to change nikon to canon?

PS: Joe i've seen post on the 5ds post about not being able to push the shadow on nikon anywere as close with the canon? How to 6d, d610, d750 compare in term of high iso and shadow pulling (i guess this is dynamic range?)

Can i ask why have you change to canon?

Was a Business decision if anything to be honest with you, I'm not like some people that have tunnel vision that Nikon or Canon etc. are best, It worked out more cost effective for me when I sold my Nikon 400mm f/2.8 to move to the Canon 500mm not the Nikon one as the 7D Mark II has made a major leap for me in my terms of getting subjects closer to the camera (Wildlife) As it gives me a standard 800mm with the crop etc. anyways its not because A was better than B or vice versa, it was just more of a cost effective way to upgrade to better and newer tech within budget that gets the shots I need.

So what make you change or thinking to change nikon to canon?

See Above

PS: Joe i've seen post on the 5ds post about not being able to push the shadow on nikon anywere as close with the canon? How to 6d, d610, d750 compare in term of high iso and shadow pulling (i guess this is dynamic range?)

Nikons are far far far better than Canon for Dynamic Range, Canon are really crap in all honestly compared to the Nikon's I use to own, Nikon are light years ahead on that score, check out this shot I took with the D610 exposing for the sky and recovering all the foreground detail perfectly, a effect I miss with using the Canon System now.

Hope all this info helps :)

%25255C.jpg

Hello mate. I haven't changed to Canon. I just pop in here as i like to annoy @^Joe from time to time. :D

Whatever you have read about shadow recovery from Canon being better than Nikon is quite frankly wrong. Especially when comparing the final result. The D750 has probably the best shadow recovery available. The camera itself is simply stunning. Where comes the problem is the lenses. They're expensive and they don't have the second hand market that Canon have. I have bought a little Canon 100d for no other reason than i have always liked them since they were released. Simple. One came up for sale in the classifieds so i jumped on it. The 6d is a fine piece of kit though and its high iso performance is one of the best. It's also available for £788 from Panamoz which is a big draw for some. Pretty much a bargain. I believe the AF isn't as good but apparently the centre point is more sensitive than that of the 5d3 etc? It also has a better sensor than the higher end Canon FF's too. Well, so I've heard anyway.

Ergonomically the D750 is fab. The new improved grip has really worked well imo. Everything is easy to access from the camera rather than diving into menus and searching for stuff too. Never owned a Canon so i could hate the 100d but time will tell. I could also love it...

Hello mate. I haven't changed to Canon. I just pop in here as i like to annoy @^Joe from time to time. :D

Whatever you have read about shadow recovery from Canon being better than Nikon is quite frankly wrong. Especially when comparing the final result. The D750 has probably the best shadow recovery available. The camera itself is simply stunning. Where comes the problem is the lenses. They're expensive and they don't have the second hand market that Canon have. I have bought a little Canon 100d for no other reason than i have always liked them since they were released. Simple. One came up for sale in the classifieds so i jumped on it. The 6d is a fine piece of kit though and its high iso performance is one of the best. It's also available for £788 from Panamoz which is a big draw for some. Pretty much a bargain. I believe the AF isn't as good but apparently the centre point is more sensitive than that of the 5d3 etc? It also has a better sensor than the higher end Canon FF's too. Well, so I've heard anyway.

Ergonomically the D750 is fab. The new improved grip has really worked well imo. Everything is easy to access from the camera rather than diving into menus and searching for stuff too. Never owned a Canon so i could hate the 100d but time will tell. I could also love it...
What is this? Off topic?

Was a Business decision if anything to be honest with you, I'm not like some people that have tunnel vision that Nikon or Canon etc. are best, It worked out more cost effective for me when I sold my Nikon 400mm f/2.8 to move to the Canon 500mm not the Nikon one as the 7D Mark II has made a major leap for me in my terms of getting subjects closer to the camera (Wildlife) As it gives me a standard 800mm with the crop etc. anyways its not because A was better than B or vice versa, it was just more of a cost effective way to upgrade to better and newer tech within budget that gets the shots I need.

See Above

Nikons are far far far better than Canon for Dynamic Range, Canon are really crap in all honestly compared to the Nikon's I use to own, Nikon are light years ahead on that score, check out this shot I took with the D610 exposing for the sky and recovering all the foreground detail perfectly, a effect I miss with using the Canon System now.

Hope all this info helps :)

%25255C.jpg
wow that's amazing! anyone with examples of shadow recovery on the 6D / Canon system for comparison? :p

Was a Business decision if anything to be honest with you, I'm not like some people that have tunnel vision that Nikon or Canon etc. are best, It worked out more cost effective for me

Interesting. Same for me (although I've been messing around with different systems for ages). Ergonomically I'm not a fan of Canon, but financially for my business it's so much more cost effective (even vs Nikon, and by miles vs Sony/Mirrorless).

What I've also quickly found is that although not as clinically sharp overall (i.e. Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sony 55mm 1.8, it's not even a contest) I love the colour and character of the Canon (not sure if that's the glass or the sensor) so my editing time has already reduced drastically...handy, as I hate editing. Even my spare 10 year old 5D Mk1 takes the most gorgeous images.

I miss the EVF, I miss the almost infallible AF, so the paranoia levels when shooting have increased, but that all melts away when I fire up Lightroom.

Interesting. Same for me (although I've been messing around with different systems for ages). Ergonomically I'm not a fan of Canon, but financially for my business it's so much more cost effective (even vs Nikon, and by miles vs Sony/Mirrorless).

What I've also quickly found is that although not as clinically sharp overall (i.e. Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sony 55mm 1.8, it's not even a contest) I love the colour and character of the Canon (not sure if that's the glass or the sensor) so my editing time has already reduced drastically...handy, as I hate editing. Even my spare 10 year old 5D Mk1 takes the most gorgeous images.

I miss the EVF, I miss the almost infallible AF, so the paranoia levels when shooting have increased, but that all melts away when I fire up Lightroom.
Think the Sigma 1.4 art would give the Sony a good contest,certainly shows up the Canon apparently.

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 was never regarded as a stellar performer anyway!

Think the Sigma 1.4 art would give the Sony a good contest,certainly shows up the Canon apparently.
Over at DXO they list the Sony 55mm f1.8 as the 3rd best lens they've ever tested, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 comes in at number 28.

Just out of interest... I've tested my Sony 55mm against my old Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD lenses and of course it crushes them. It's also better than the old model Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f2.5 used to own but of course sharpness across the frame and lack of optical nasties doesn't take character and the overall look into account.

Last edited:
Over at DXO they list the Sony 55mm f1.8 as the 3rd best lens they've ever tested, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 comes in at number 28.

Just out of interest... I've tested my Sony 55mm against my old Minolta Rokkor, Olympus Zuiko and Canon FD lenses and of course it crushes them. It's also better than the old model Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Canon 50mm f2.5 used to own but of course sharpness across the frame and lack of optical nasties doesn't take character and the overall look into account.
Link?

Back