Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Plenty of new toys.... Not fancy a telephoto? Or that not something you use?

I just put a 70-200 2.8 is onto the 6d and was grinning like a Cheshire cat....

That will come in time no doubt. Got to let the bank balance recover a little first though. I'm thinking of a nice prime portrait lens also.

That will come in time no doubt. Got to let the bank balance recover a little first though. I'm thinking of a nice prime portrait lens also.
Yep, I have my eyes on a 85 1.8 as my next lens.... The 1.2 doesn't even get a look in. Not with my last bank statement!

Yep, I have my eyes on a 85 1.8 as my next lens.... The 1.2 doesn't even get a look in. Not with my last bank statement!

That'll be the one. Good value and not a bad performer by most accounts.

I find the 6D works well with just about anything I put on the end of it. 50mm f1.2 is spectacular, my 70-200 f2.8 (mk 1) is great and my 300 f4 is really good too. What did surprise me was how good the images were using the Sigma 150-600 as well. I've also used it with the 24-105 and 17-40, both of which work really well for walkabout work.

I was on the verge of ordering my 6D over the weekend, then the wife and I saw the baby furniture we wanted come up in a sale, so funds went on that. Should now be joining you fellow 6D users in a couple of weeks now!

Need some decent glass too, so think I'll start with the 24-70 and see what tickles my fancy after that.

Got round to ordering my 6D today.

Stupidly, I looked the other day and it showed next day delivery, but I didn't check again before ordering this morning and now it's due by Tuesday. Oh well, I'll have to stick with the 550D until then!

Stupidly, I looked the other day and it showed next day delivery, but I didn't check again before ordering this morning and now it's due by Tuesday. Oh well, I'll have to stick with the 550D until then!
The wait will be worth it!

there's still hope if you ordered off amazon. a few things i've ordered recently turned up the next day even though it said middle of next week on the website!

6D finally turned up today after a lot of messing about. Took the dog for a quick walk before work and took it out with me for a couple of quick shots. I'm very impressed with it. Very nice upgrade from my 550D!

I just received a 6D and 16-35 f4 in the post today and I can't wait to try it out.

Ordering a 6D in about a week :) Budget £1600 so looking to get it with the 24-105mm kit, Thinking ill also grab the 50mm 1.8 STM.

Cant wait to try it.

Ooops caught the send button
I was saying
I have a 6D and have nevver noticed the LCD screen having a warm/yellow tint to it, just had a look now and doesnt seem to be the case, have you set the white balance wrongly which would show a warmewr colour ie the daylight setting

Joined the 6D club today! Battery is currently on charge.

Coming from a Fuji X-T which I recently sold all up. Had a 5D classic a while back,and the 6D just felt awesome when I tried it out. It felt pretty light I thought even with a 24-105 L attached.

This will be a companion to my M. Any recommendations on lenses? Predominantly shoot landscape, nature and street.

I have a 50mm 1.8 to get me going. Often a length I work with a lot and it's a good, small bang for buck lens IMO. Looking to get the 85mm prime too at a later date as I loved this on my 5D.

Was considering perhaps a 24-70 f/4 and a 70-200 f/4, covering a good range.

From what I gather, the 24-70 is a better option over the 24-105? Be interested to hear some thoughts on that.

Joined the 6D club today! Battery is currently on charge.

From what I gather, the 24-70 is a better option over the 24-105? Be interested to hear some thoughts on that.

I had a 24-105 with my 6D and imho it's a great walkabout and much maligned. I considered changing to the 24-70 F4 when it first came out but I wasn't convinced that it's an improvement plus you lose the long end. For landscape I went with the 16-35 F4 which is really good.

IMO the 24-105 f4L is a great allpurpose lens. I use it a lot for my landscapes on a 6d. I can't imagine why anyone would malign it!.

It DOES have barrel distortion at the wide end but that's a one-click correction in Lightroom.

I've never used the 24-70 f4L but I gather it is also very good but you lose the 70mm-105mm range. That for me would be its big disadvantage. Its good to have an overlap between your standard zoom and your telezoom.

Did Canon announce the 24-105 Mk2 with the 5d4? It was expected. I imagine that would/will be even better.

I had a 24-105 with my 6D and imho it's a great walkabout and much maligned. I considered changing to the 24-70 F4 when it first came out but I wasn't convinced that it's an improvement plus you lose the long end. For landscape I went with the 16-35 F4 which is really good.

It does seem a good lens but often gets a mixed rep which I have always been a bit curious about. The 24-70 is allegedly better at certain focal lengths, how how much people are pixel peeping to see this, I don't know.

IMO the 24-105 f4L is a great allpurpose lens. I use it a lot for my landscapes on a 6d. I can't imagine why anyone would malign it!.

It DOES have barrel distortion at the wide end but that's a one-click correction in Lightroom.

I've never used the 24-70 f4L but I gather it is also very good but you lose the 70mm-105mm range. That for me would be its big disadvantage. Its good to have an overlap between your standard zoom and your telezoom.

Did Canon announce the 24-105 Mk2 with the 5d4? It was expected. I imagine that would/will be even better.

Thanks, Jerry. I have seen some good landscape / long exposure work with it. That, along with the 24-70 I was considering are both f4, but the 70-105 range would be an advantage.

As I mentioned to Wayne, it's one of those lenses that gets a mixed rep for some reason, so I was curious to hear a bit more. I use Lightroom so distortion correction as you say is just one click away.

Going to bump this thread as I have just bought a 6D with 24-105mm F4 IS.

Really happy with it so far.

I wanted something that was full frame but as light as possible.

Going to bump this thread as I have just bought a 6D with 24-105mm F4 IS.

Really happy with it so far.

I wanted something that was full frame but as light as possible.
A worthy bump and you'll enjoy your new toy, it's cracking camera :). Highly recommend using Magic Lantern with it too as it unlocks some additional functionality.

Congratulations! What camera setup did you come from (if any)?

You'll love it. I got one a couple of months back and it's been a great move :)

I have owned the 50D before and I did have a 5D mk2 for a while but I lost interest in photography so sold it. Had some money sitting around so figured I would give it a go again!

I have owned the 50D before and I did have a 5D mk2 for a while but I lost interest in photography so sold it. Had some money sitting around so figured I would give it a go again!

Excellent! I hope you find your mojo again. Stick at it. I've had many times when I want to give up but usually just after that I get back into the swing of it again.

We all go through this.

What is it that Magic Lantern brings to the party? For someone that doesn't use video......
For me lots, focus peaking, zebras, better histogram, waveform, zoom options, automatic dottune / mfa, overlays, trap shooting, macro rail shooting, the list goes on :D

Looking into Compact and light tripods which will hold a 6D with 24-105mm lens attached.

Weight is under 1.5KG I think but would I trust the ones which claim up to 1.5KG.

Looking into Compact and light tripods which will hold a 6D with 24-105mm lens attached.

Weight is under 1.5KG I think but would I trust the ones which claim up to 1.5KG.

I've just bought one of these: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-mk055xpro3-tripod-and-x-pro-3-way-head/p1549519

They had it on a Cyber Monday deal with a 25% code from Manfrotto, so it worked out at £160. In my opinion, that was a really good deal. However, I wouldn't say it was light!

I haven't used it in the field yet but it's pretty solid having tried it out at home, and the reviews praise it well for rigidity.

I've bought a couple of cheap ones in the past and have found them a bit week once extended.

You don't mention budget in relation to this, but in my experience you should always be prepared to spend slightly more than you intended when it comes to tripods.
The old axiom "Buy cheap, buy twice" applies here.
I have an earlier, aluminium version of the Manfrotto 055 and it works well, very sturdy but heavy.
You may only want to support a 24-105 at the moment, but consider what you might want in the future.
Don't under specify now and regret it later, you never know if you might want to hold a 500 or 600mm tele sometime in the future.
The user reviews on the Wex are worth reading.

I've had my 6D since July so thought it time to find the 6D thread.
It does seem a good lens but often gets a mixed rep which I have always been a bit curious about. The 24-70 is allegedly better at certain focal lengths, how how much people are pixel peeping to see this, I don't know.

Thanks, Jerry. I have seen some good landscape / long exposure work with it. That, along with the 24-70 I was considering are both f4, but the 70-105 range would be an advantage.

As I mentioned to Wayne, it's one of those lenses that gets a mixed rep for some reason, so I was curious to hear a bit more. I use Lightroom so distortion correction as you say is just one click away.

Personally I don't see the point in the Canon 24-70 f4L. If you want that focal length you might as well get the f2.8 L (for more money admittedly) or the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, which gives you images stabilisation and f2.8 for less money. The 70-105mm end of the 24-105L zoom range is really useful, even for landscapes. And at 105mm it does a lovely job of portraits.
For the money, you get more bang for buck with the 24-105, it's much more useful.

I have a previous version of this Manfrotto https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...d=1480782994&sr=1-5&keywords=manfrotto+tripod
I bought it when I had a smaller camera, but I still use it now.
It says the limit is 1.5Kg, and I've had my 6D with 24-105 on it fine, even when standing in a shallow river. Though I wouldn't want to put a longer lens on it.

I've had my 6D since July so thought it time to find the 6D thread.

Personally I don't see the point in the Canon 24-70 f4L. If you want that focal length you might as well get the f2.8 L (for more money admittedly) or the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, which gives you images stabilisation and f2.8 for less money. The 70-105mm end of the 24-105L zoom range is really useful, even for landscapes. And at 105mm it does a lovely job of portraits.
For the money, you get more bang for buck with the 24-105, it's much more useful.

I have a previous version of this Manfrotto https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...d=1480782994&sr=1-5&keywords=manfrotto+tripod
I bought it when I had a smaller camera, but I still use it now.
It says the limit is 1.5Kg, and I've had my 6D with 24-105 on it fine, even when standing in a shallow river. Though I wouldn't want to put a longer lens on it.

Hey :)

I went for the 24-105 and 17-40 in the end. A great pair to have, along with a couple of fast primes.

Really like the 6D. Nothing's making me want a 5DIII yet.

This thread seems so quiet. I'm just taking a guess that all the 6D owners are out taking pictures.

Last edited:
Back