Eos 6d Owners Thread!

She will love it.:):D

I really hope so.

She loves photography and is always snapping away on her iPhone at sunsets and architecture, so hopefully she'll take to it like a duck to water.

I'm coming from a 550D, so super excited to get my mits on it too.

We're over in Australia (twice) and Hawaii next year, so lots of occasions to really stretch its legs out.

The 24-105 was a no brainer for us too, a great do it all lens and not too heavy.

The 24-70 f/2.8 will be next on the list along with a nice prime.

I love my 24-105,it is an excellent lens.:)

Wow, took some photos of family last night on an ISO beyond what my 400D would even let me select and the photos are cleaner than I could have imagined. I think I'm going to enjoy this camera lots.

You will.:banana::D

Sorely tempted to add a 6D to my 7D... just need to find a good price I think. Might sell some glass to get it.

New owner of 6D here, very happy :) I was going to sell my 60D and get a 5D iii, but I decided I'd prefer to keep my 60D as a second body, with planning to do weddings and events this year so two bodies will be responsible.

I was prepared to collect a new one from HDEW yesterday but I called them and they were sold out until next weekend. So I hopped on gumtree and found one an hours drive away advertised for £750. Mint condition with 3000 shots and I haggled her down to £625, which was a decent saving to the new in box price. I couldn't justify buying used just to save £100.

Anyway, after literally weeks of reading about this camera, I am very please with the autofocus. I think people are way too harsh on it really. And that centre point is magic. I photograph cars and aircraft a lot, so I'm really grateful to those early on in the thread who showed it was capable of motorsports. I have my 60D for that, but would like to use the 60D as well, so it's nice to know it can. After all, I used to use my T3i and that was only 3.7FPS! 4.5 should be decent enough.

It's a very natural camera to use coming from a 60D. And so comfortable. The menu's are logical and nicely customisable. I have also used the MA facility to sort out my nifty fifty which has consistently front focused since the day I bought it. Still a cheap piece of crap though :D

Anyway, due to rain stopping play today, here's a pic of my car I grabbed about 10 minutes after buying it. (Yes I took my 50mm and SD card with me :D)

New Camera :) by Dan J, on Flickr

Hoping it's dry tomorrow so I can get out for some street stuff :)

Coming from a 400D I agree that people are too hard on the autofocus. It may not be the best but it's a noticeable upgrade and was never something I noticed holding me back. I've still only been playing and testing so far but love it.

I really hope so.

She loves photography and is always snapping away on her iPhone at sunsets and architecture, so hopefully she'll take to it like a duck to water.

I'm coming from a 550D, so super excited to get my mits on it too.

We're over in Australia (twice) and Hawaii next year, so lots of occasions to really stretch its legs out.

The 24-105 was a no brainer for us too, a great do it all lens and not too heavy.

The 24-70 f/2.8 will be next on the list along with a nice prime.

I went from a 550d to a 6d. There is a world of difference IMO. The high ISO's are so clean, it's ridiculous. You'll really enjoy it. [emoji106]

The nifty fifty is just disappointing every time I use it, even after I've calibrated it for my 6D. Tried to use it for some street photography today and the results were just laughable. Time to bin it and get something with USM and IS.
Try the new STM version.

For me, the 1.4 was never much better than the 1.8 and the 1.2 is a bit too expensive, so it's either the new STM nifty or the Sigma 1.4.

I went from a 550d to a 6d. There is a world of difference IMO. The high ISO's are so clean, it's ridiculous. You'll really enjoy it. [emoji106]

It really is crazy. I can't get over the high ISO performance. I've bought a proper flash for the first time as well and I can see so many opportunities.

The nifty fifty is just disappointing every time I use it, even after I've calibrated it for my 6D. Tried to use it for some street photography today and the results were just laughable. Time to bin it and get something with USM and IS.
My little 50mm f/1.8 mk2 has a new lease of life on the 6d, it produces lovely images on it! Are you sure you've not screwed it up trying to MA it?

But if you need to change it, get the new STM version not the f/1.4 (I'm not sure you can get stablised 50's either, though I could be wrong.)

Last edited:
It was worse before I MA'd it jim! It's always been pretty crap but produces nice results when it does hit focus. I'm certainly interested in the STM as I do like the focal length. But i'll go and test a copy in Calumet one evening. The reviews are very good and I love the STM on my 55-250.

Currently looking for a 6D as an upgrade for my 50D.

Lots about but would prefer to buy one from here rather than Ebay/Gumtree etc.

What bothered me was HDEW are selling them for £829 new with warranty, and people are looking for £700+ for them used, which is not enough saving to justfiy a used purchase IMO.

That said, now I have mine, I can see why they're commanding such a used price. Great cameras!

What bothered me was HDEW are selling them for £829 new with warranty, and people are looking for £700+ for them used, which is not enough saving to justfiy a used purchase IMO.

That said, now I have mine, I can see why they're commanding such a used price. Great cameras!

Yeah Simply Electronics have them for £795, although I probably wouldn't buy from them.

If I can get one for £650-£700 second hand and its a UK model (i.e. not a grey import) then I will go for it.
Don't fancy paying that for an import second hand considering they are only £100 new.

Yeah Simply Electronics have them for £795, although I probably wouldn't buy from them.

If I can get one for £650-£700 second hand and its a UK model (i.e. not a grey import) then I will go for it.
Don't fancy paying that for an import second hand considering they are only £100 new.

Surely when it's second hand it doesn't really matter that much whether it's a grey import or not unless:
1) still has some UK warranty left
2) you want to trade it to mpb etc - however even if you buy second hand they normally ask for the original receipt anyway to prove not a great import.

I agree with previous posts that really you can't beat the grey import new prices

Edit - misread post!

49mm filters for that new nifty should be cheap as chips as it's an old film favourite size I think

Has anyone got a grip they use on the 6d.
In particular, I was looking at the Meike version. Thoughts?
I am guessing this will lead onto needing batteries as well - so any real life experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Has anyone got a grip they use on the 6d.
In particular, I was looking at the Meike version. Thoughts?
I am guessing this will lead onto needing batteries as well - so any real life experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Use a Meike grip since i got my 6D (soon be 2 years) and faultless for not a lot of money :)

That's what I was thinking. Any battery suggestions?
I'd used / recommended DSTE previously (Amazon / eBay) which in the short term seemed good but i don't think medium / longer term they lasted very well in terms of number of shots wise. I didn't use them extensively though as i picked up some Canon branded ones from here that have seen me through.

Hi

Might sound a stupid question but would I see a big improvement in IQ and sharpness coming from a 700D to this? Looking at other photos on flickr and then mine I feel like my images look soft in comparison, I know the skill of the photographer has a part to play in that as well but anyway... if anyone can sell it to me I'd love to hear it!

I've never used a 700D but I'm sure you'd see a huge difference between the two cameras. If you can afford it go for it. It's a great camera.

Hi

Might sound a stupid question but would I see a big improvement in IQ and sharpness coming from a 700D to this? Looking at other photos on flickr and then mine I feel like my images look soft in comparison, I know the skill of the photographer has a part to play in that as well but anyway... if anyone can sell it to me I'd love to hear it!

I've never used a 700D but I'm sure you'd see a huge difference between the two cameras. If you can afford it go for it. It's a great camera.

I think 'huge difference' is a bit of an exaggeration for a camera body in good shooting conditions with good lenses.

Certainly with better lenses and in low light there'd be a 'big difference', but with equal quality lenses there'd not be that much in it.

So, to Joel I'd say, work out what's wrong with your current images, selling all your gear to upgrade might be a waste of money.

Hi

The 700d is perfectly capable of Sharp images, even with the kit lens! I'd look at technique before you consider an upgrade if you can't get sharp enough images from your 700d. Are you post processing too?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - so if I want to improve the image quality of my landscapes pictures should I invest in an L series lens rather than my EF-S lenses? I have the 10-18 EFS and the 18-55 kit lens but I like the 10-18 for landscapes with it's wider focal range.

The thing is if my current lenses are quite a way below in terms of sharpness compared to the L landscapes lenses - the crop factor from 16mm would translate to about 20 something with my sensor so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the lens either would it?

Just because it's an 'L' lens, it doesn't mean it's going to produce a sharper image as such, you should get nice sharp images from your 10-18. It's a sharp lens.

Anyway, this is off topic :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - so if I want to improve the image quality of my landscapes pictures should I invest in an L series lens rather than my EF-S lenses? I have the 10-18 EFS and the 18-55 kit lens but I like the 10-18 for landscapes with it's wider focal range.

The thing is if my current lenses are quite a way below in terms of sharpness compared to the L landscapes lenses - the crop factor from 16mm would translate to about 20 something with my sensor so it wouldn't make sense to upgrade the lens either would it?
Just to add / affirm to what Phil said the 'leap' between Canon crop and ff sensors isn't huge. Sure there is an improvement but by itself it's minor imo.

The 10-18 Canon it meant to be a sharp little beast, certainly sharper than the 10-22 that came before it and that was no slouch. Possibly easier if you could post an image that highlights your thoughts?

Just because it's an 'L' lens, it doesn't mean it's going to produce a sharper image as such, you should get nice sharp images from your 10-18. It's a sharp lens.

And your 18-55 might not be too bad either (depending on which one it is), but for Landscape photography, once you have a perfect subject it's all about technique. Do you use a quality tripod? MLU? A remote shutter release? Are you using a carefully controlled PP regime?

Just to add / affirm to what Phil said the 'leap' between Canon crop and ff sensors isn't huge. Sure there is an improvement but by itself it's minor imo.

The 10-18 Canon it meant to be a sharp little beast, certainly sharper than the 10-22 that came before it and that was no slouch. Possibly easier if you could post an image that highlights your thoughts?
Actually the 10-22 is sharper, especially in the corners :) But stopped down, pretty much the same, you wouldn't notice the difference, especially with landscapes at narrow apertures.

But back to sharpness and cameras etc for landscapes, I'd say it's the one area where if your technique is right, 99% of equipment should handle it just fine.

This was taken with a £270 compact;

88 by -Odd Jim-

Of course, full frame cameras have the edge in shadow recovery and *overall* sharpness lens for lens on a physical level but you shouldn't have to reply on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: smr
Sorry for going a bit OT but I guess it's somewhat relevant as I'm wondering whether to get a 6D or not. Tripod wise I use a Manfrotto Befree Travel Tripod. I can't believe I've never even enabled mirror lock up :eek: Just googled it and seen its in one of the menu settings - I've heard the term quite a bit before as well I just assumed it was something which was done automatically or something... I'll read up on this now. Shutter release wise I did have a cable but it stopped working properly so I just use either 2 or 10 second delay now until I get a new cable release. As for PP I use lightroom to enhance sharpness slider before noise sets in and increase contrast / clarity just a touch if needed and pull back the highlights if needed etc. I wouldn't really know what a carefully controlled PP regime entailed tho.

Image wise I've not really been into photography too long, around a year exactly...

Here's the latest landscape image

Birds at Sunset over Cropston Reservoir by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

And one about 2 months after getting into photography

Vik Beach, Iceland by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

But for example, although I'm happy (for my own amateur-hobby-enthusiast standards) for the most part, I just seem to feel that my images in the main are a bit soft, if you look on this page of my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130378054@N06/page5

and I didn't know whether its my gear, or technique or both which are holding me back - but from the replies it seems it's more to do with my technique and inexperience more than anything?

Surely when it's second hand it doesn't really matter that much whether it's a grey import or not unless:
1) still has some UK warranty left
2) you want to trade it to mpb etc - however even if you buy second hand they normally ask for the original receipt anyway to prove not a great import.

I agree with previous posts that really you can't beat the grey import new prices

I've always found it puzzling myself, I'd rather a new camera and a warranty from hdew or panamoz than second hand and no warranty for similar money.
Thinking of a 6D myself and will be going the grey route if I do.

Back