Eos 6d Owners Thread!

It worked on my pc, doesn't show thumbnails however it worked in picture viewer.

Well I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and just had some results I've been very pleased with. (See the 24 hours on Anglesey thread if you want a look.)

I was doing a lot of low light work and it blew my old 5D out of the water for all but one shot which had some odd noise banding issues that I'm trying to work out.

Llanddwyn-Moonlit-Beach.jpg

You can't really make it out at this size but just in the sky there is some luminance/chromatic banding that I can't get rid of.

8 minute exposure at f5.6 800 iso. Moonlight. Long Exposure Noise Reduction on.

I'm rather puzzled because I have much longer exposures taken the same night under starlight and a little light pollution that show much less noise.

Llanddwyn-Startrails.jpg

20 minute exposure, f4, 800 iso. LENR. on.

Well it appears that the CR2 RAW files arent supported in LR3, PS6 or Windows 7!!!!! I'm gonna have to convert files to DNG before uploading to LR or 'get' a new 4.3 version!!!!!

Does anyone know a codec for windows 7 (64bit) to be able to preview/ see images on my PC????

Currently sharing your pain. I just went out and purchased LR4. Kinda annoying having to fork out more monies... but it's ace. As for processing my CR2's in PSCS5 - I'm having no luck. Good to know that if I upgraded to CS6 that it wouldn't solve this issue. There is this Adobe DNG Converter 7.3 but ideally I'd like to stick with CR2's.

Anyone had any success processing the 6D's CR2's in Photoshop yet? Or will we have to start working with DNG's?

Not really oft used iso's though are they?

But a good comparison of the advantage of the 6D, basically you can expect superb results at 3200 or 6400 which is great for natural light wedding shooting.

Agree, at night I suddenly find myself shooting f/2.8 @ ISO 6400 rather than f/1.4 @ ISO 1600. It just doesn't phase me with this camera, in fact ISO 12,800 is acceptable too.

Not really oft used iso's though are they?

Maybe not for you, but they are for some. I shoot gigs almost exclusively and I just bought a 6D yesterday simply for its ability to focus with the central AF point in low light and it's fantastic lack of noise. We concert photographers live at high ISOs unless we're shooting larger venues. I'm shooting my first show with it in a few hours, but I took a simple test shot in low light in the house at ISO6400 and I can confirm that it looks cleaner than my 7D does at 1600. ISO3200 is the highest I'll push my 7D but it looks like with the 6D I'll have no issues with going to ISO6400 and above.

The 6D is better than the 5d2 in everything except the ability to chose the focal point using the rear controls - in the 5d2 you have the joystick and you press it at the point you want to choose. With the 6D you turn a poxy dial after pressing the focus point button - you can't go directly to a point, you have to go across the up for example to get to the second upper focal point.

Now that I have a 6D in my hands, I can confirm what I suggested above and that your information is wrong. The 8 way controller on the back of the 6D acts exactly like the joystick controller on other EOS cameras. You just press which direction of AF point you want to select.

Yep, you have to set it in the Q menu to act like that though IRC.

Just ordered the BlackRapid RS4 to go with mine...tired of it swinging all over the place when taking it out. Esp when every so often I have to pick up my son and each time I nearly knock him out with the camera!

Ordered it direct from Amazon...so if not entirely happy with it can send it back.

I'm in...just ordered from Digital rev....i'll be shooting a wedding with it next week and will post back with pics and review! (now to save up for a 24-70!!)

I would not use your 6d to shoot a wedding. why? because doing a wedding is a high profile job and you need to know your gear inside and out. you will have less then a week with a 6d. that is not enough to get to use to it

I would not use your 6d to shoot a wedding. why? because doing a wedding is a high profile job and you need to know your gear inside and out. you will have less then a week with a 6d. that is not enough to get to use to it

Really? The 6d is so simple and easy to use. What exactly do you think he could get wrong?

I have figured out the focus thing thanks and I wouldn't use any camera a week after getting it for a wedding - always takes me a few weeks if not months of playing to work out the quirks and strengths.

Thanks for the advise guys...:D

I managed just fine. ;):)

new 6D owner joining the thread :)

I was working on a budget to upgrade my gear, so went for the 6D & the 24 -70 f2.8 L lens. Still have my 7D which I love to bits. I did want the 5D MKIII but it would have meant a cheaper lens, and I think glass is important.

The function I love is 'wireless'. However, I am now wishing I had just went over budget and got the 5dMk III.

So hoping I can settle down with the 6D and enjoy the camera over the next few months.

Last edited:
I was working on a budget to upgrade my gear, so went for the 6D & the 24 -70 f2.8 L lens. Still have my 7D which I love to bits. I did want the 5D MKIII but it would have meant a cheaper lens, and I think glass is important.

The function I love is 'wireless'. However, I am now wishing I had just went over budget and got the 5dMk III.

So hoping I can settle down with the 6D and enjoy the camera over the next few months.

How long have you had the camera??? Any chance of returning under long distance selling act?

Had it less than a week phoned supplier today and they agreed to take it back and I paid extra for 5D MKIII, sorry guys feel like a 6D traitor now.

Thing is..if you need or really want a 5DMkIII then the 6D is not gonna satisfy you.

The 6D ticked all my boxes and more..and the 5D was way overkill for what I needed!

Everyone has different requirements.

i went with a 5d3 as personally i needed the extra features that the 6d did not have.

horses for courses as you say hehe

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have shot a wedding on a 6D before? I currently have a 5D MK III and a 7D... I use the 5D as the main body and have my 70-200mm f/2.8 stuck on the 7D... however in dark churches I find the ISO sucks and I'm loath to reach for it sometimes, and as a result think I'll replace it with a 6D.

I'd love to know how it performs in churches though with fairly low light. I don't centre point and recompose, and always use the nearest focal point even if it's an outer one, so how it performs with these outer points in low light is really important. Anyone had any issues using them?

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have shot a wedding on a 6D before? I currently have a 5D MK III and a 7D... I use the 5D as the main body and have my 70-200mm f/2.8 stuck on the 7D... however in dark churches I find the ISO sucks and I'm loath to reach for it sometimes, and as a result think I'll replace it with a 6D.

I'd love to know how it performs in churches though with fairly low light. I don't centre point and recompose, and always use the nearest focal point even if it's an outer one, so how it performs with these outer points in low light is really important. Anyone had any issues using them?

Higher ISO have next to No noise or noticeable noise on the 6D ... I used to have a 600D and I didn't like to push it past ISO 800! With the 6d you Can use up to ISO 3200/6400 without much if any noticeable noise... I've used it indoors in a few dark settings and was more then happy, also in post processing you have lots of headroom with taking out shadows and highlights too

Higher ISO have next to No noise or noticeable noise on the 6D ... I used to have a 600D and I didn't like to push it past ISO 800! With the 6d you Can use up to ISO 3200/6400 without much if any noticeable noise... I've used it indoors in a few dark settings and was more then happy, also in post processing you have lots of headroom with taking out shadows and highlights too

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah those reasons are why I'm thinking of getting the 6D, however I really need to know how it performs with the outer focal points due to the AF system being different to the 7D and MK III :)

Back