Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Why risk it ? you've just spent £1745 on a camera on your want to put a cheap battery in it. I know very little about batteries but if it corroded and damaged the camera would your 3 year warranty be worth the paper its written on

Kinda got me thinking about that, and I agree...but still not prepared to pay the full Canon original price.

So ended up buying this

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-hahnel-hl-e6-battery/p1031920

I've used Hahnel before and never had a problem and they are highly rated as well. Plus approx 50% less than canon original.

So thats my shopping spree done. Now to sell my APS-C camera stuff!

Plus I love that fact my 6D with my new lens with the hood the right way fits nice and snug in my camera bag!

Now to enjoy taking pics with it!

Kinda got me thinking about that, and I agree...but still not prepared to pay the full Canon original price.

So ended up buying this

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-hahnel-hl-e6-battery/p1031920

I've used Hahnel before and never had a problem and they are highly rated as well. Plus approx 50% less than canon original.

So thats my shopping spree done. Now to sell my APS-C camera stuff!

Plus I love that fact my 6D with my new lens with the hood the right way fits nice and snug in my camera bag!

Now to enjoy taking pics with it!

Is that battery fully decoded for the 6d? The 3rd party ones that worked fine with my 60d caused a startup warning and wouldn't display remaining power on my 6d.

Is that battery fully decoded for the 6d? The 3rd party ones that worked fine with my 60d caused a startup warning and wouldn't display remaining power on my 6d.

The should be decoded...read reviews from Amazon and other places and it should work in normal charger and show battery levels. I'll be getting mine tomorrow..so will let you know after the weekend how it goes.

Also its a lower mah...so will not last as long as the original canon one, but I rather carry one spare for the days you forget to recharge the one in your camera!! Happened to me plenty of times!

The should be decoded...read reviews from Amazon and other places and it should work in normal charger and show battery levels. I'll be getting mine tomorrow..so will let you know after the weekend how it goes.

Also its a lower mah...so will not last as long as the original canon one, but I rather carry one spare for the days you forget to recharge the one in your camera!! Happened to me plenty of times!

How did this go - do the batterys report power levels etc? :)

How did this go - do the batterys report power levels etc? :)

Unfortunately...its still in its packaging! Had a hectic weekend and a few days away with work, so kept getting the look from the wifey every time I went near the camera stuff! :nono:

But on the plus side..I've ordered a SD card holder for 8 cards and a small usb card reader for SDHC to go in my camera bag.

Last edited:
Nice pics, thats the combo I've got. Was showing my colleague what the camera is capable of and he was pretty impressed. As he is deciding about an upgrade!

Just plugged in the hahnel battery and it charged with standard charger and shows battery display on camera. Not sure about the life of it yet. But as a second battery it will do especially for the price compared to the original .

Just plugged in the hahnel battery and it charged with standard charger and shows battery display on camera. Not sure about the life of it yet. But as a second battery it will do especially for the price compared to the original .

Cool, thanks for letting us know :)

Hi Nick, I am using a 6D with the 24-70 for weddings. I have a 5D3 which I use with either 100mm IS Macro or 135MM F2.

The 6D is better than the 5d2 in everything except the ability to chose the focal point using the rear controls - in the 5d2 you have the joystick and you press it at the point you want to choose. With the 6D you turn a poxy dial after pressing the focus point button - you can't go directly to a point, you have to go across the up for example to get to the second upper focal point.

Hope that makes sense?

I haven't tried to use it, but I thought I saw some wireless setup stuff in EOS Utility? Not sure about it though, sorry.

Yes, the EOS Utility works fine on my MacBook - I think it came on a disk with the camera, and there's an update here: http://tinyurl.com/cymt82t

On the camera you need to select the 'Connect to a PC' rather than 'Connect to a smartphone' option. I've used it both in the access-point mode (where the camera creates its own wifi network) and connecting via my home wifi.

After installation, there's a Canon Utilities folder in your Applications, and an EOS Utility folder within that. As well as the EOS Utility app, there's a WFTPairing utility, which seems to need to be running for the camera and laptop to find each other.

On a related note, I've been using the iOS version happily for remote shooting but with one important exception: focus. How do you get the autofocus to kick in? I've tried tapping on the screen, pressing and holding the shutter release button, pressing the second little button beside it, but all to no avail. I suspect I need to get the right combination of app settings and LiveView focus mode, but any pointers would be welcome!

On a related note, I've been using the iOS version happily for remote shooting but with one important exception: focus. How do you get the autofocus to kick in? I've tried tapping on the screen, pressing and holding the shutter release button, pressing the second little button beside it, but all to no avail. I suspect I need to get the right combination of app settings and LiveView focus mode, but any pointers would be welcome!

On Android you have to turn it on in the options (no idea why it's hidden by default) and then an additional button appears next to the shutter release.

Aha! I found it! The little second button on the remote shooting screen corresponds to the AF-ON physical button. If you've used the custom function menu to redefine that one, it's redefined in the software interface too!

I had, a long time ago, set mine to do AEL/FEL, the same as the * key, because it was easy for my big clumsy thumb to hit one or the other indiscriminately. That stops it from doing focus, and it therefore stops the software button from focussing too.

Just having other people tell me what it was supposed to do was very useful; made me investigate further. Many thanks!

Maintenant je suis un lapin heureux.

Q

Aha! I found it! The little second button on the remote shooting screen corresponds to the AF-ON physical button. If you've used the custom function menu to redefine that one, it's redefined in the software interface too!

I had, a long time ago, set mine to do AEL/FEL, the same as the * key, because it was easy for my big clumsy thumb to hit one or the other indiscriminately. That stops it from doing focus, and it therefore stops the software button from focussing too.

Just having other people tell me what it was supposed to do was very useful; made me investigate further. Many thanks!

Maintenant je suis un lapin heureux.

Q
Aha! Glad you got it working :)

Joined the club! :) came this morning from WEX, neither of the batteries were charged though so I'll have to wait

Finally picked up my 6D with 24-105mm from WEX yesterday, So far I'm impressed, wifi worked great with my Nexus 7 tablet, GPS found my position. First shots at high ISO very good. Focus very fast with centre point. Controls very intuitive. My biggest problem was putting the strap on and getting the HDR to work in ordinary program modes.

I hope to post some shots soon. Thanks to everyone on this thread who have convinced me to get this brilliant camera.

With the 6D you turn a poxy dial after pressing the focus point button

I don't get a 6D until later in the month, but I understood that the control was still an 8 way selector and that it could be set up to work just like the old joystick controller. Is that not the case? You've checked the manual and the menus?

Anyone used the in camera HDR function and have a picture example from it?

Last edited:
Back