Eos 6d Owners Thread!

vimto2000 said:
Hey Guys, this is to those of you who have a Canon 6D.

I've currently got a Canon 50D (broken), and am planning on moving onto the Canon 6D.

So my current lenses are the 50mm 1.8 MK2 and the 17-50mm Tamron VC (latest version)

Would these be adequate for the camera? I plan to upgrade my lenses eventually. But what I don't want to find out, is the picture quality is poorer than my 50D due to the demand on the lenses.

As for the features of the 6D, its fits my requirements of a complete amateur who only takes pics of family and kids in the house and at family functions.

Cheers

The 50mm will work fine (and provide great quality). I believe the 17-50mm lens will only work on crop camera though so won't work on a full frame camera.

The 50mm will work fine (and provide great quality). I believe the 17-50mm lens will only work on crop camera though so won't work on a full frame camera.
Even if it did work, it would be so much wider than you're used to on the 50D. The reach of all your lenses will never be the same again!

Pick mine up tomorrow.

Wex currently have a returned one for sale for £1500

Bit gutted about my 17-50mm lens, guess I'll chop and change it in. Always liked the idea about the 24-105mm L, and with the high ISO indoor shots should be ok.

I'm most like going to get mine from Panamoz! Seems to be best price!

Ordered mine yesterday, looks like a big leap up from my 400D, only regret is my Sigma 10-20 lens won't fit it. (I love this lens)

Well first impressions are not good........should have bought a 5d mk3.....

The dial at the back to cycle through stuff is very plasticky and way too small. All the buttons seem a bit naff,

And where is the ipad app for remote. Looks like there isn't one, which is just garbage.

Cannot use wifi with movie.....

On the whole a dissapointing start, for the price you would expect a bit more "pro"

For better features you should have gone with the 5D.

The 6D is really the "Rebel" of the full frame range.
My main regret is that they could have made it even lower priced if they had left off the GPS and WiFi rubbish, which do absolutely nothing for the IQ, and offered them as optional accessories.

I quite like the specs of the 6D, the only thing I think its lacking is better focus points. Not that I'm saying it should be anything like the 5DIII but something similar to the 60D where all the AF points are cross type.

My only dilemma is, do I go for body only or go with the 24-105mm 4L lens?

vimto2000,

Yes, the focussing is not overwhelming, particularly when I've got used to some very good autofocus on my micro-four-thirds Panasonic (in live view, too, of course, since it's mirrorless!).

But I really like everything else about the camera, and have been very pleased with the 24-105 I got with it. A bit heavy to carry around, but wonderfully sharp. Then again, it's my one and only L-series... I suspect L-series zooms are as good as regular (non-L-series) primes... And if I can only afford one L lens at the moment, this is a very useful range to cover...

How is the 6D a "rebel" in the full frame range? Rebels don't have the control wheel, size, top LCD, larger viewfinder etc. It's a 60D / 5D III hybrid if you ask me.

I meant that it was the "Rebel" in that it has a pared down feature set (e.g. focus points, control layout) compared to the models above it.
The IQ seems to be amazing, I'm just disapppointed that they pushed up the cost by adding GPS and WiFi, both of which could be served, for those who think they need them, by an add-on accessory.
If Canon are really serious about a "budget" full frame, why don't they offer a really basic model without all the "bells and whistles" (and maybe without the top LCD display) but the same great IQ?

I quite like the specs of the 6D, the only thing I think its lacking is better focus points. Not that I'm saying it should be anything like the 5DIII but something similar to the 60D where all the AF points are cross type.

My only dilemma is, do I go for body only or go with the 24-105mm 4L lens?

The 24-105 is a pretty old design with quite a bit of distortion at the 24mm end, although the package deal looks quite attractive.

The lens to go for should be the new 24-70 F4 IS but it's a bit pricey at the moment, although I'm sure that will change.

If you don't get the 24-105 what are you options at present?
I have a 17-40 F4L but I think that will be too wide for a general purpose lens.

I meant that it was the "Rebel" in that it has a pared down feature set (e.g. focus points, control layout) compared to the models above it.
The IQ seems to be amazing, I'm just disapppointed that they pushed up the cost by adding GPS and WiFi, both of which could be served, for those who think they need them, by an add-on accessory.
If Canon are really serious about a "budget" full frame, why don't they offer a really basic model without all the "bells and whistles" (and maybe without the top LCD display) but the same great IQ?

Got mine on Friday and although I haven't had a chance to get out with it yet I have to agree with you about GPS and wifi. Tbh I'd rather not have that and have all AF points cross type. Hopefully get out with it today

The 6d(N) rather than the standard 6d(WG) exists already with Wifi and GPS removed.

But do they sell the 6DN in the UK or can you only get it as a "grey" import?

But do they sell the 6DN in the UK or can you only get it as a "grey" import?
I've not looked as I'd rather have the WG version. If you can't get it now maybe they'll make it available later in the product life cycle, problem is you never know in advance what Canon are going to do next!

The 24-105 is a pretty old design with quite a bit of distortion at the 24mm end, although the package deal looks quite attractive.

The lens to go for should be the new 24-70 F4 IS but it's a bit pricey at the moment, although I'm sure that will change.
I really don't see the point in the new 24-70 F4. There's still distortion at the wide end, although it's supposed to be a little sharper. You also lose a signifiant amount of reach and for a large amount of extra ££££. Canon should have either brought out a 24-105 F4 mkII or a 24-105 F2.8.

24-105 F4 for the price is still the one to go for IMO.

I really don't see the point in the new 24-70 F4. There's still distortion at the wide end, although it's supposed to be a little sharper. You also lose a signifiant amount of reach and for a large amount of extra ££££. Canon should have either brought out a 24-105 F4 mkII or a 24-105 F2.8.

24-105 F4 for the price is still the one to go for IMO.
For me the biggest reason is weight!
I get fed up (not to mention a pain in the neck) carrying around heavy gear for long periods and the 24-105 is a bit of a brick. It's also an 8 year old design, which is a lifetime in the scheme of things photographic.
The 24-70 F4 has a good macro setting too, so that eliminates another lens from my case.
With my existing 17-40 and 70-200, the 24-70 makes the ideal set as far as I'm concerned.

The reviews of the 24-70 F4 have all been good so far, and all say there is much less distortion at the wide end than the 24-70 F2.8, which is highly regarded.

The 24-70 f4 is only 70g lighter than the 24-105 f4, which is hardly significant.

Mine finally arrived today, had a couple of hours playing around with it, so far I love it though there is a lot of items in the menu I don't understand yet. Roll on the weekend so I can get out a really try it out.
I read a lot of reviews about this camera and thety all said light weigh (well compared to 5d mk3) but compared to my 400d it feels very heavy but also feels so comfortably in my hands

Hey 6D owners, just a few questions.

When paired to an ipad or laptop and taking photos how long roughly does it take to transfer a single RAW image?

Does having wifi on all the time significantly reduce battery life?

and finally if the ipad you are paired with goes out of range of the camera does it automatically start uploading again when it gets back in range?

I guess the answer to your first question depends on the speed of your PC. My PC is fairly fast but the download is still a lot longer than plugging the SD card into a reader - especially if you have a USB3 reader.

Yes having wifi on all the time will reduce battery life. Turn it on and off as necessary it's very simple.

Can't say about the IPad but I very much doubt it.

I guess the answer to your first question depends on the speed of your PC. My PC is fairly fast but the download is still a lot longer than plugging the SD card into a reader - especially if you have a USB3 reader.

Not sure my PC speed has anything to do with it, surely the wireless speed is the limiting factor. It was the rough transfer speed for a single image I was looking for, I'm guessing around 5 seconds based on wireless G speeds.

Yes having wifi on all the time will reduce battery life. Turn it on and off as necessary it's very simple.

The idea was to have the ipad or laptop tethered wirelessly all day so as I shoot the photos are automatically downloaded to the ipad / laptop so it would be on all the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently eyeing up the 6D to replace my broken 30D. Hope this is the right thread for this post as im not an owner!

I'd be looking to take pictures of my 19mth daughter as she grows up to include zoo visits, nursery/school activities and parties etc. I'm into cars and go to the occasional track day and we have varied wildlife in the back garden which i photograph. Also have a G1X but that takes too long to take a shot of daughter moving around indoors, but great elsewhere.

Current lenses are 10-22mm (need to sell if i go FF), 24-105L, 100-400L, 50 (f1.4).

I was thinking 6D for full frame and the low light capabilities, but read that its not that good for sports/action/birds etc. Is the 6D (from you people who have them thus the post in this thread) going to work for pictures of the little one? I don't intend buying another body for quite a while, breakage permitting, so need to be happy with what i buy.

I've thought of waiting for the 70D or 7Dii but you can end up waiting for ever and i think i need to act now, 60D doesnt do it for me nor does the current 7D. Or do i say sod it and buy the 5diii, a camera way over my skill level but which i can learn with and know it (probably) ticks all the boxes.

Any advice gratefully received.

I

I've thought of waiting for the 70D or 7Dii but you can end up waiting for ever and i think i need to act now, 60D doesnt do it for me nor does the current 7D. Or do i say sod it and buy the 5diii, a camera way over my skill level but which i can learn with and know it (probably) ticks all the boxes.

Any advice gratefully received.

Why doesn't the 7D do it for you? :)

...I was thinking 6D for full frame and the low light capabilities, but read that its not that good for sports/action/birds etc. Is the 6D (from you people who have them thus the post in this thread) going to work for pictures of the little one?
This is exactly what I got it for. I've never used a 1 or 7 series camera or anything with very advanced focussing systems, and it's early days, but so far it's been very good. Focussing is excellent on the centre point and good on the others. So far it's been a pleasant surprise based on what I'd read previously!

as above i have to question why the 60D and 7D don't do it seen as they both are extremely capable especially of fast moving subjects, i shoot bikes and cars with mine.

In saying that i wouldn't mind a 6D as i do some Weddings too in which it does push the crops to the extrmemes sometimes and the pictures on here of iso 8000 are very good.

Why doesn't the 7D do it for you? :)

The 7D would be the logical body for me meaning I can keep the 10-22mm, plus i get the extra reach. However, I've read that its not a good body for low light shooting. Also, the age of the body and the fact that a 7Dii is perhaps around the corner, with better technology has put me off. If the 7D were only a year old then maybe i would buy one.

There are downsides to the 6D for me also, mainly GPS and WiFi which aren't of any use to me, plus the lack of Compact Flash slot. If we could buy a body without the GPS and Wifi in the UK for less money then that's the one i would go for. If i knew i could 'shoot' the little as she runs around then id be placing my order today.

I've just purchased a 5D ii centre point is very good, I used it the other day at a kids party and it worked really well, indoors but with good light.

However I need my camera for the kids running about etc and I think the 5D3 is the ideal choice.

I use wifi and GPS a lot, but discovered very quickly that the GPS uses battery even when the camera is switched off. So I have added the settings for both to the 'favourites' menu (or whatever that one on the far right is called), where it's easy to find them and turn 'em on and off.

I use wifi and GPS a lot, but discovered very quickly that the GPS uses battery even when the camera is switched off. So I have added the settings for both to the 'favourites' menu (or whatever that one on the far right is called), where it's easy to find them and turn 'em on and off.

Yup, same here. For GPS anyway, I haven't used the wifi much to be honest.

Well I finally did it..I pulled the trigger on a Canon 6D with the 24-105mm Kit lens.

Bought it from HDEW for £1745 with 3 years warranty on the camera, and comes with a UK receipt.

Had a play with one and the Canon 60D...and seeing them both perform indoors with the same lens...the Canon 6D won hands down!!

Now just to get some accessories...

Ordered the Sandisk Extreme 32gb x 2
Hoya filter UV and non UV for the lens.

Also would want some extra batteries... Has anyone tried these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxsima-210...682A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361546261&sr=8-1

Reviews look ok for the price! Not bad for what an original goes for!

Why risk it ? you've just spent £1745 on a camera on your want to put a cheap battery in it. I know very little about batteries but if it corroded and damaged the camera would your 3 year warranty be worth the paper its written on

Why risk it ? you've just spent £1745 on a camera on your want to put a cheap battery in it. I know very little about batteries but if it corroded and damaged the camera would your 3 year warranty be worth the paper its written on

Could get a battery grip then if anything happens to the batteries at least they aren't directly in the camera.

I had some third party batteries for my 7D that worked perfectly, including the camera giving the battery performance data and % of power left. I put one in the 6D and while it worked, it gave no data at all. It came straight out after that. For me it wasn't worth the risk.

Back