Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Got mine yesterday; bought it from Wex with a 17-40 (it's primarily going to take pictures of grass, rocks and sea). Had a bit of a ding-dong with the battery which wouldn't charge, but after following these instructions, it was all good. Not really had a chance to play with it over and above exploring the menus and going "ooh" at the high-ISO performance (with pictures of my feet). The weekend beckons, however...

Last edited:
Also how does the 50mm f1.8 perform on the 6D?

Quite a bit of vignetting but nothing that can't be sorted in LR. Apart from that, pretty good. I've just ordered the Sigma 50mm 1.4 but this is with the Canon 1.8 in bad light.

Bought my 6D with Canon 50 f1.4 USM roughly 3 weeks ago, my first Canon ( previously Sony Alpha user ).

I was having some issues with the autofocus. I carried out some basic tests, which involved attaching my camera to a tripod and taking a number of shots( 3 ) all the same object and found that out of the 3 shots only one was in focus, the other two were way off. I wasn't sure if the issue was with the camera or the lens. I didn't have another lens to try.

So today I took the camera and lens back to Jessops and had a sales advisor check the camera and he too had the same findings as me, that the autofocus was off. He tired another lens on the camera and the problem was still there. He then asked if i would like a refund or to try another 6D. I love the camera so opted to try another. It turned out that the camera was faulty and the replacements focus is superb. So a big thumbs up to Jessops for their superb customer service on my behalf anyway. I was half expecting them to try and wriggle out of it and fob me off.

Is it me or is the rear screen very easy to scratch? I really look after my kit, I put it in flight cases when not in use, and my 4 year old 50d is still practically mint. I've had my 6d for a little less than a month and I've already noticed two scratches on the rear screen which normally I wouldn't mind too much, but can be seen on photo review. I'm guessing the screen came into contact with a coat zip or some such, but still, it shouldn't scratch so easily?

Does anyone use or recommend a screen protector?

It turned out that the camera was faulty

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had with mine, glad you got it sorted out and are pleased with the replacement

Hello fellow Isle o' Wighterrrr! (Also fellow 6D owner) I thought I recognised those spots in the photos :)

Thanks! I've gone up to iso 10000 now (see below)!

Rich, dont let it ruin it for you, keep it, its a gem. You'll regret it if you do!

Ok, so I popped out for a few more low light test shot, see what you think...

ISO 3200, no NR

iso 3200 no nr c
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 3200, slight NR applied though it didnt really need it

iso 3200 d slight nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 10000 (!) with no NR

iso 10000 no nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

Now, the party piece. It was a fairly clear night and the moon was up. Not only can it produce a very clean iso 6400, it managed to AF very quickly, using just the ambient light on the road from the moon! (theres a bit of noise in the sky, some of thats my fault as I under exposed it...)

iso 6400 slight nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

All hand held with the 24-105. This is an amazing camera!

This is just a hand held snapshot at ISO 12800 that I took the other evening in Chester. I only took it to check the 6D's performance in low light, as I haven't really used it much since I got it a year ago, and I think it does quite well?

Hey guys,

Was just browsing Amazon and found these two items!

I've never thought of covering my camera in a skin, but sounded like a good idea especially away on holiday where fingers may not always be the cleanest or the locations may not be the safest.

http://goo.gl/lHlOuN

or this

http://goo.gl/y6bgqr

Has anyone got one? Would you use one or are they a waste of time?!

I have fitted skins to both my 7D and most recently my 6D. Frankly I think they are a wise investment. Keeps the camera body clean and mark free, helps keep water out and the rubbery surface helps with grip. A mark free body will help sale in the future.

Downsides? No clear markings for camera buttons but they still work fine. Fitting a grip is slightly more difficult as the skin goes under the camera body and needs easing out the way if you want to attach a grip.

Well worth the investment.

Which one did you order? I quite like the idea of Delkin with the plastic screen protector for the back. Plus its slightly cheaper and has more reviews.

Also looking at the bottom, it will only affect using battery grip...which I don't use. Should affect the use of my blackrapid strap.

Got mine on offer through a computer mag and it came with a plastic screen protector so I guess it is the Delkin. Not too sure about the screen protector mine is a little opaque so tend not to use it. Black rapid strap fits no problem. There is only a problem if fitting a battery grip.

Got mine on offer through a computer mag and it came with a plastic screen protector so I guess it is the Delkin. Not too sure about the screen protector mine is a little opaque so tend not to use it. Black rapid strap fits no problem. There is only a problem if fitting a battery grip.

Thanks

Will look at getting the Delkin one soon!

Just found this...

and this about the Delkin.

Pretty much sold on it, will get it

I love my 6D, I made a very hasty decision with buying mine when I was in Bangkok last year. I got it in the photography quarter in MBK (the most amazing shopping centre ever, I swear).
I have never looked back or regretted getting it. I brought it with the Kit lens 24-105mm and noticed such a HUGE leap in quality overall from my previous camera, it really did spark my interest for photography again and I am really happy with it. I recommend it to anyone (obviously it's going to be so much cheaper in Thailand than here....but still!)

Anyone know if this remote works with the 6D? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phottix-Timer-Remote-TR-90-Canon/dp/B0014E2374/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_1

I used the TR-90 with my 500D which obviously doesn't fit the port for my 6D. I only ask because the 6D isn't listed for compatible cameras however I do believe it is the same port as the 1Ds & 5Ds?
I can't directly answer your question, sorry. What are you looking to get a shutter release for?

I use my phone via wifi for general remote purposes and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hahnel-Giga-Pro-Wireless-Canon/dp/B00345XKV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_1 for everything else. I wouldn't normally spend that much on a remote but I had a voucher for a popular photography shop and didn't fancy anything else they had. Worth it tho if you'll use it a lot.
Will look at getting the Delkin one soon!
Pretty much sold on it, will get it
Did you get one? What's it like?

Anyone know if this remote works with the 6D? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phottix-Timer-Remote-TR-90-Canon/dp/B0014E2374/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_1

I used the TR-90 with my 500D which obviously doesn't fit the port for my 6D. I only ask because the 6D isn't listed for compatible cameras however I do believe it is the same port as the 1Ds & 5Ds?
The spec says it suits the 30D, which has the same 3-pin "D" shaped connector as the 6D.
I have a wireless remote for my 30D which works fine with the 6D.

I love my 6D, I made a very hasty decision with buying mine when I was in Bangkok last year. I got it in the photography quarter in MBK (the most amazing shopping centre ever, I swear).
I have never looked back or regretted getting it. I brought it with the Kit lens 24-105mm and noticed such a HUGE leap in quality overall from my previous camera, it really did spark my interest for photography again and I am really happy with it. I recommend it to anyone (obviously it's going to be so much cheaper in Thailand than here....but still!)

Hey, I got my 6D/24-105 in MBK in January last year!

Ok I ordered both the delkin and the walimax both from Amazon.

They turned up, and they were exactly the same item just with different card inserts for packaging. So both have the soft screen protector and the plastic hard protector.

So just tried the one on after comparing them. It was pretty easy to put on, as long as you do it from the right angle. I got to admit the look of the camera with the case on was really putting me off! Then I picked it up, and it felt tooo smooth and slippery. You have more grip when you don't use the sleeve than when you do. I can also imagine if your hands got a little bit sweaty it would be even worse. However it covered the camera for bumps and scratches. But the thing that really put me off, was the amount of effort you had to use to press the buttons, especially the ones at the top. It wasn't a massive amount but enough to make it annoying. Also because the skin is so flexible it was easy for the top buttons to become misaligned. Which meant you had to wiggle your finger to press it. Like I said, not a lot but enough to annoy if you had to take a few pics.

I didn't get round to trying the screen protectors, as by this point I made up my mind I didn't like it (you could probably tell from my review). Its a great idea, however the added extra bulk, the texture of the material, and the loss of sensitivity of the buttons really put me off. They will be both be sent back to Amazon!

Last edited:
Guess i can now participate in this thread having taken collection of my 6d and 24-105 a few days back, what a great choice i think i have made!!!

6D, 40mm pancake, 430EXII flash:

Hannah.jpg

I upgraded my 5DMKII to a Canon 6D, never looked back. I was originally concerned with the lack of MP, but it's not noticeable at all. No contest at higher ISO's, it even came out better than the 5DMKIII. That said the trend is now definitely going towards cameras with higher MP and without AA filters.

6D + 24-105 f/4 with wireless flashes - really happy with the quality

I should be getting mine next week from Kerso. Bit of an upgrade to FF from the 60D, looking forward to the low noise shots as I prefer low light photography and shallow DOF :)

I've got a bit of a quandary though (I've only owned an SLR for a year so excuse the nievity), I'm not sure if it's worth ditching the 60D and putting the cash (about £500 with lens) towards a lens (thinking Tamron 24-70 f/2.8) straight away or keeping it for reach/ versatility as second body. My gf's got an 1100d which I could probably get by with if I ever needed a second body mind, but I've not seen her use it in 6 months so it could be anywhere......and I can't remember what it was like compared to my 60D.

Current kit is 60D, EF Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, EF Canon 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55 IS II Kit Lens and the gf has an 1100D with another nifty fifty a kit lens and a EF 75mm-300mm zoom which by all accounts is about as good a lens as a dirty pint glass.

Obviously there is going to be a big gap below the 50mm range until I get some wider primes or a 24-70 but I think I can handle that for the time being. The way I see it the nifty fifty just got a whole lot wider compared to on the APS-C which I'm now used to. I usually shoot a lot of parties I go to as I love the ambience, most of the time the 50mm was on the 60D all night with the APS-C making that effectively 80mm. Obviously it was a bit of a hindrance sometimes with close subjects but I never missed much to my knowledge, so I think I'll gain with my overall setup just using the FF. I hardly ever used the 18-55 on the 60D as the lens was too slow and noise to high for what I wanted, so I can't see me missing that range much (although I never really had it for low light). I also shoot a fair bit of sports (field hockey) on a weekend but this is more for my club rather than personal enjoyment so not worried about the 1 cross type point on the 6D if I got rid of the 60D, I'd gain else where.

I'll also be shooting a few mates weddings at the mid and back end of the year as they're pretty skint, but will need a 24-70 in place by then no matter what, I'd love the canon 24-70 2.8 II but can't justify the cost and from the reviews the Tamron may be better for me than the Canon 24-70 2.8 I.

So what I'm saying....I think is keep the 60D or sell it and buy more lenses, which will mean using the gf's 1100D as a second body (if it's good enough)?

When will you need a second camera? If the answer is not very often i'd put the money towards a decent lens or two.

If you've been using your 50mm most of the time and not using your kit lens, why are you thinking about getting a 24-70? On a FF the whole zoom range is under 50mm on your crop. Saying that, once you have a decent standard range zoom you may well use it more often. The kit lens stinks!

If it was me i'd wait until you have the 6D, keep your 60D for now and figure out what focal length you're missing, there are platy of options. For £500 you can buy a lot of quality in a single lens, Tamron 24-70, 24-105L, 17-40L etc. Or for around £200 each you could upgrade your 50 1.8 to a 1.4. Buy the 50mm crop to FF equivalent, the 85 1.8. Plenty of wide angle primes, not just from Canon. I just bought a Samyang 14mm 2.8 for £225 which I think is unbelievable value for what it is.

When will you need a second camera? If the answer is not very often i'd put the money towards a decent lens or two.

If you've been using your 50mm most of the time and not using your kit lens, why are you thinking about getting a 24-70? On a FF the whole zoom range is under 50mm on your crop. Saying that, once you have a decent standard range zoom you may well use it more often. The kit lens stinks!

If it was me i'd wait until you have the 6D, keep your 60D for now and figure out what focal length you're missing, there are platy of options. For £500 you can buy a lot of quality in a single lens, Tamron 24-70, 24-105L, 17-40L etc. Or for around £200 each you could upgrade your 50 1.8 to a 1.4. Buy the 50mm crop to FF equivalent, the 85 1.8. Plenty of wide angle primes, not just from Canon. I just bought a Samyang 14mm 2.8 for £225 which I think is unbelievable value for what it is.

At the moment I don't need one, but in say 4-5 months I probably might need a second body if I'm in the wedding scenario and taking things more seriously and I'm also a bit of a hoarder when it comes to gear and gadgets. I suppose I may be more inclined to take the 60D with me to risky places as well, which I wouldn't do with my best camera, decisions decisions!

I've not used the kit lens a lot because it's not fast enough when combined with the noise levels on the 60D, it's practically unusable for low light. I must say though I was happy with it when I used it in other situations with half decent light, the IS was good, it was sharp and I didn't miss as much as I do with the 50mm. To be fair the kit lens I have is miles better optically than the original 18-55mm though, but obviously it's not going to work on my 6D. I think the Tamron 24-70 2.8 combined with the 6D's low noise capability covers the full range, and it's probably sharp enough comapared to my 50mm (which seems to miss focus/ be soft a lot at f/1.8). I should probably be stepping the 50mm down anyway and with the 6D and it's better noise capabilities I'm expecting equal or better results with a 24-70 2.8 over a wider range, is this a reasonable expectation?

I can't see me needing to go wider than 24mm, but would be nice to have a play with something like the Samyang. I've thought about the 85mm 1.8 but as I've got the 70-200 IS II would it be much of an improvement?

I think you're right about waiting to assess the situation though, that's definitely what I'll do. If I had to choose now I would keep the 60D and try them both out for a month or two, then buy the Tameron 24-70. I can't see the 24-105 f/4 being fast enough for what I shoot and for the slight drop in range I'd rather take the Tameron with the 2.8 for the same price. I'll upgrade the nifty fifty at some point and think a 30mm Sigma f/1.4 would work better for me than a Canon 17-40L f/4.

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated :)

Give the gf a treat, give her the 60d (which by the sounds she'll never use) and sell the 1100d. You still have use of 60d and also 6d :D

:LOL: Can't see her old man being too pleased when I sell her birthday present. But that will teach him for buying a 70D a few month after I got my 60D!

At the moment I don't need one, but in say 4-5 months I probably might need a second body if I'm in the wedding scenario and taking things more seriously and I'm also a bit of a hoarder when it comes to gear and gadgets. I suppose I may be more inclined to take the 60D with me to risky places as well, which I wouldn't do with my best camera, decisions decisions!

I've not used the kit lens a lot because it's not fast enough when combined with the noise levels on the 60D, it's practically unusable for low light. I must say though I was happy with it when I used it in other situations with half decent light, the IS was good, it was sharp and I didn't miss as much as I do with the 50mm. To be fair the kit lens I have is miles better optically than the original 18-55mm though, but obviously it's not going to work on my 6D. I think the Tamron 24-70 2.8 combined with the 6D's low noise capability covers the full range, and it's probably sharp enough comapared to my 50mm (which seems to miss focus/ be soft a lot at f/1.8). I should probably be stepping the 50mm down anyway and with the 6D and it's better noise capabilities I'm expecting equal or better results with a 24-70 2.8 over a wider range, is this a reasonable expectation?

I can't see me needing to go wider than 24mm, but would be nice to have a play with something like the Samyang. I've thought about the 85mm 1.8 but as I've got the 70-200 IS II would it be much of an improvement?

I think you're right about waiting to assess the situation though, that's definitely what I'll do. If I had to choose now I would keep the 60D and try them both out for a month or two, then buy the Tameron 24-70. I can't see the 24-105 f/4 being fast enough for what I shoot and for the slight drop in range I'd rather take the Tameron with the 2.8 for the same price. I'll upgrade the nifty fifty at some point and think a 30mm Sigma f/1.4 would work better for me than a Canon 17-40L f/4.

Thanks for the input it's much appreciated :)
I've never used any 24-70mm but I would be expecting it to outperform a £75 lens in almost every aspect apart from size and weight. It's certainly a lot more versatile. I would say a similar thing about the 85 compared to your 70-200. If you use that focal length a lot tho it may be worth the investment. It's certainly significantly smaller, less imposing and less stress on your arms than the beast that is the 70-200 2.8 II. Lots of people often sing about the 85 and it's performance.

I bought my 6D with the 24-105 and swiftly moved that on as it didn't suit me, so I know what you're saying. You will certainly know what suits you more than anyone else. I have a personal preference to smaller in size lenses that don't have an external zoom. I really dislike lenses that change in size while zooming, I have no idea why! I only bought the Samyang as i'm going to Iceland next month and my 17-40mm might be a touch slow for the night shots.

I've never used any 24-70mm but I would be expecting it to outperform a £75 lens in almost every aspect apart from size and weight. It's certainly a lot more versatile. I would say a similar thing about the 85 compared to your 70-200. If you use that focal length a lot tho it may be worth the investment. It's certainly significantly smaller, less imposing and less stress on your arms than the beast that is the 70-200 2.8 II. Lots of people often sing about the 85 and it's performance.

I bought my 6D with the 24-105 and swiftly moved that on as it didn't suit me, so I know what you're saying. You will certainly know what suits you more than anyone else. I have a personal preference to smaller in size lenses that don't have an external zoom. I really dislike lenses that change in size while zooming, I have no idea why! I only bought the Samyang as i'm going to Iceland next month and my 17-40mm might be a touch slow for the night shots.

True, I would hope so too. I'm not fussed about size and weight as I don't generally shoot all day, night shooting would be sporadic or have a tri-pod, I spend more time on Lightroom correcting cock ups instead :LOL:

I love the 50mm 1.8, I use that 3 x more than everything else combined :) I also don't really like lenses that change size whilst zooming, they seem fragile but I've only ever used cheap ones that do this, so not much experience. The Samyang should be excellent if you can get close to the geysers.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the 50mm f1.2 performs? In a few reviews I've heard how sometimes it can be a little slow to focus. My intended use is for street photography/

It's not that bad, it's not as fast as you would expect and at 1.2 my hit rate isn't great with a 1 year old but I've got plenty of shots at 1.2 that I'm happy with. Obviously it's easier the smaller the aperture you use but why else would you get this over the 1.4?

Back